Future build and gaming system rebuild

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

I believe the stand offs will penatrate to deep into the cage and interfere with the drives. I'll look more when I get more sleep.

SHSPVR

could fit it on a diagonal

velcro might work on the corners

That not best way to do it

Guest asrequested

I believe the stand offs will penatrate to deep into the cage and interfere with the drives. I'll look more when I get more sleep.

Can you put the head of the screw in the cage, and use a low profile head?

SHSPVR

There is way and will take slill in doing for first thing check is this

Put a slot bolt in this hole mark in red

Put and nut on just hold it in place

Take black plate so can see

Take drive caddy and side in to rail if see clear as I guesting that it got hit so you may be able to just get way with grinding some head off the bolt.

But I can't find any good photo of the drive caddy close up as look like there groove slot in it see 2nd photo and with small file you be able to make notch here

Then it just drilling the hole on the side like you first photo placement

post-4629-0-31173100-1483994533_thumb.jpg

post-4629-0-13623600-1483996093_thumb.jpg

SHSPVR

but better than nothing  :blink:

Not when you take to count that the card gets a bit warm and have you ever seen what self stick velcro dose I have and it make a mess, beside we keep air space open as much possible

Edited by SHSPVR

PenkethBoy

The best way is to put it in a pcie slot - not mount with bolts etc - use too big a head on the bolt and you will short the card - if the case is too short for the card then mount it on the case door with standoffs if you want or velcro which does not melt at that low a temp if you get proper velcro or something similar - only need very small squares where the screw holes are as card has very little weight

the card mainly gets hot where the heat sink is - rest will work fine as long as some airflow and or mount a fan on the heat sink if you have room

SHSPVR

Option 1: Plastic Reverse Locking Standoff

post-4629-0-53512100-1484006794_thumb.jpg

Option 2: Plastic Standoff with Adhesive-Backing Pads

post-4629-0-98108500-1484006800_thumb.jpg

Option 3: See below Photo out line of parts

post-4629-0-15195800-1484006807_thumb.jpg

Edited by SHSPVR

SHSPVR

The best way is to put it in a pcie slot - not mount with bolts etc - use too big a head on the bolt and you will short the card - if the case is too short for the card then mount it on the case door with standoffs if you want or velcro which does not melt at that low a temp if you get proper velcro or something similar - only need very small squares where the screw holes are as card has very little weight

the card mainly gets hot where the heat sink is - rest will work fine as long as some airflow and or mount a fan on the heat sink if you have room

That a cheap ghetto way of doing thing, Be side the bolts are not that big and makes for more solid mount

PS you do know that heat travel thru out the board even the back side oh my god I never let you do anything that chesses

Edited by SHSPVR

mediacowboy

Sorry guys. I was up almost 24 hours yesterday and have a sick kid at home. I like all the ideas just haven't had time to see how they will work. I will post pictures in a little bit of the hard drive cage

Edited by mediacowboy

SHSPVR

Sorry guys. I was up almost 24 hours yesterday and have a sick kid at home. I like all the ideas just haven't had time to see how they will work. I will post pictures in a little bit of the hard drive cage

That fun just a few back we had grandkid sick as dog and guest who else got sick after words LoL

mediacowboy

Okay so here are some pictures. I'm think I'm going to drill in the plastic and mount a standoff and then use the top whole on the bottom.

04ae109957a2880abe0859dde9d59698.jpg

0b76c797150f22fdf7253388b83199cc.jpg

fe36c69a7887590cc0cf63f43d95922a.jpg

da479c3448e27e48c4c83eeb1fbd7f98.jpg

Edited by mediacowboy

Wilky13

You can mount standoffs using JBWeld ($5 at Walmart/Home Depot) no drilling necessary. I used it when I modified a MacPro case for an ATX motherboard. Cut off the screw part of the standoff with a hacksaw and glue it to the case with the female portion facing up for your screw. The adhesive forms a bond as strong as a weld.

Here are the stand offs I used: StarTech 6-32 Brass Motherboard Standoffs for ATX Computer Case - 15 Pack STANDOFF632 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00213KL5I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hvhDyb16SYNDC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Wilky13
  • Like 1

PenkethBoy

That a cheap ghetto way of doing thing, Be side the bolts are not that big and makes for more solid mount

PS you do know that heat travel thru out the board even the back side oh my god I never let you do anything that chesses

:D  :P

No you just don't like the way i do things - and i also disagree with yours so no point arguing about what does and doesn't work

As long as @@mediacowboy secures the card with some reasonable air flow and it does not short against the HDD cage he will be fine

x88dually

my vote is for 8 drives and figure out how to make it work.  Remember, i have  3  8 disk arrays.

mediacowboy

So I think I finally have a game plan on how to mount the lsi-9211-8i card. Using jb weld and flipping the stand offs so that the thread goes through the card. Then taking a 6-32 nut and putting on top of the card. I don't have any nuts right now but what do you think. It will look something like this.

133bb737a7417febd295bffb50ffbafa.jpg

Also I need shorter sas to sata cables. The one in the picture is a .5 m one

b3b281836e3cf5fd9424e72a5b10558d.jpg

Edited by mediacowboy

• 2 weeks later...