Future build and gaming system rebuild

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

Okay so I think I have a solution for airflow now. I flip the radiator 180 degrees to all more airflow over the motherboard. I also plan on buying a much shorter PCIe extension cable made of ribbon cable instead of the metal like I bought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12-183-015

It is only 200 mm instead of 500 mm. The 500 mm stretch longer then the case so this should help and will also be more flexible.

Edited by mediacowboy

naeonline

@@mediacowboy

That case is a Silverstone DS380B, right?  I read up on the newegg reviews and it's either explained in one of those or there is a link in one of the review to discussion on how to get the airflow to work so your drives won't overheat and die.  It seems the default airflow configuration for that case sucks regarding the drive cage.  The best fix was drilling some holes in the back metal section of the drive cage (back meaning the side where port connections are) and then fitting a piece of cardboard between the drive cage and the side of the case so that the 2 side case fans can blow directly into the drive cage.  This would mean you need to move your raid card mount, however.

I almost pulled the trigger on this case and a new setup until I realized my current power supply had multiple 12v rails instead of a single one and a simple wiring reconfig saved me from $1k new setup and hours of recovering drive data.

Oh, also there are some issues if you went with a Silverstone SFX power supply with it not supplying enough amps for powering 8 drives in that case.  What PSU did you get?

Guest asrequested

Okay so I think I have a solution for airflow now. I flip the radiator 180 degrees to all more airflow over the motherboard. I also plan on buying a much shorter PCIe extension cable made of ribbon cable instead of the metal like I bought.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=12-183-015

It is only 200 mm instead of 500 mm. The 500 mm stretch longer then the case so this should help and will also be more flexible.

I'm really interested to see how this comes out

• Like 1

mediacowboy

I'm really interested to see how this comes out

Thanks I'm hoping I can finish buying everything but storage this Friday and get it booted.

• 3 weeks later...
mediacowboy

Well it's been awhile in the making but hopefully this time next week the new server will be put together with the expectation of the storage drives. I really can't wait to get this up and running.

I also bought some heat shrink to try and help with cable management. I will post more pictures and stuff once everything is installed.

mediacowboy

Its my Friday at work. Can anyone guess what I'm doing this weekend?

83887372ca3698b416968920faf5e9db.jpg

CBers

Paintball?

• Like 1

mediacowboy

Paintball?

Nope but it isn't bad weather here to got to a gun range.
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

83887372ca3698b416968920faf5e9db.jpg

Nice! What's in the bag? 

Guest asrequested

100 mm PCIe extension

Ah! I guess you'll be needing that. Do You have any drives, yet? One of my customers has 10 external hard drives, ranging from 750MB to 4GB. He's moving all his files onto a different system, and he said he'll give me all the old drives. We'll see if he actually does, but I think I'll get a few of them, at least. Does your MotherBoard have any M.2 ports?

mediacowboy

I don't have the drives I want but I am thinking for now remove my drives from the current system and put them in the new one to free up my current rig for gaming. I want Seagate Ironwolf 8tb and need atleast four of them.

Edited by mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

I don't have the drives I want but I am thinking for now remove my drives from the current system and put them in the new one to free up my current rig for gaming. I want Seagate Ironwolf 8tb and need atleast four of them.

That sounds like a good plan, that's what I would do.

mediacowboy

Ah! I guess you'll be needing that. Do You have any drives, yet? One of my customers has 10 external hard drives, ranging from 750MB to 4GB. He's moving all his files onto a different system, and he said he'll give me all the old drives. We'll see if he actually does, but I think I'll get a few of them, at least. Does your MotherBoard have any M.2 ports?

This is the motherboard I have.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-157-669

It looks like it does m2 but I didn't know if I would have room for that or not so I didn't get one. Future upgrade possibly. Room is already pretty tight without everything in it yet.

CBers

M.2 ports?

What are they for?

I want Seagate Ironwolf 8tb and need atleast four of them.

Are Seagate discs better than they used to be?

I've always stayed away from them.

How much are the 8Tb's?

PenkethBoy

M.2 - either m.2 sata SSD's drives or NVME SSD's

About the same - Ironwolf is a marketing change, the disks are still the same as the previous models

So have i after getting 8 of 12 have issues or die - however have 3 of the 8TB archive drives now and they appear to be ok

The archive disks cost ~£235 each from Overclockers.co.uk or Scan.co.uk at ~£250

Normal 8TB will be £300+

mediacowboy

What are they for?

Are Seagate discs better than they used to be?

I've always stayed away from them.

How much are the 8Tb's?

I've had more issues with WD. Here in the US it is 300 and up for a 8tb.

mediacowboy

SHE IS ALIVE.

1a8fd8107f0ed7889cd426641229854e.jpg

4b698483011eb1639fa063c084bcaba7.jpg

91bb55d07300ff5a2e623e1f0e9b90a1.jpg

771cad9fae0a778f438f04b1d561fd15.jpg

As you can see cable management went from great to crap. She is alive and installing windows 10 now. Once windows 10 is installed I plan to test each hot swap bay and maybe this weekend shut it down and swap media drives over.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Awesome! You'll have plenty of time to tidy things up, if you want to. All your work is paying off :)

• Like 1

mediacowboy

Work and funds. [emoji2]

There really isn't much more I can do with the PCIe cable in the way.

I just need new media drives and I will be set. Plus install all the software and set it up.

0b2a2da6fad8533ebe462e7cf842cd8c.jpg

I've installed Google and a AntiVirus. Can you guess what in installing now?

Edited by mediacowboy

mediacowboy

I have no patience, I'd have to get it all done in one shot, lol...I doff my hat to you

It's been hard but funds and family (Wife and 3 Kids) make my hobby life slim.