Future build and gaming system rebuild

mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

Mines says the 7th still. I won't be home to check for about one and half hours.

I believe mine will probably be later in the week as I just looked at where it was shipping from.

I can confirm that they are in IT mode. You may not have this happen, but when I boot up, the computer boots to the LSI card. At that point, it looks like it won't go any further. Just wait! It takes a minute or two, but the card initializes and runs. I think it's because of my motherboard/BIOS. There may not be native support in the BIOS. So what happens is, the card loads its ROM, and from there everything works. Hopefully you won't have this happen. Fortunately, the server will rarely be rebooted. 

Update:

Using the card's configuration utility, I disabled BIOS control of the driver and selected OS only. It still boots to the card, but gets through it, quicker. 

Edited by Doofus

SHSPVR

Drive pooling is better

But I heard that drive pooling doesn't have very good redundancy even Raid 5 with today very large 6+TB hard drive Raid 6 is better way to go with it double-parity so I just wounding what thought was on that ?.

So are you plan for FreeNAS or UnRAID, SnapRaid, Division-M Drive Bender, StableBit DrivePool or Windows Storage Spaces or something else ?.

​I have read that with Windows Storage Spaces as it stripes the data across the drives so it make it impossible to recovery any data if you loses the OS drive where Raid 5/6 can rebuild the data even know take a bit of time even with hardware controller failure as long keep raid configuration backup and have matching working controller.

I know all have there ups and downs.

I to was look in to this my self as media server keep grow bigger and bigger.

mediacowboy

I like driver bender. I'm not worried about drive failure as once this is built. I will have a backup on the gaming system. I also have two off-site backups about 2 hours from me drive failure is an acceptable lose for me.

Guest asrequested

I'm using stablebit. What I like is, that all the files are whole. All files are distributed over all drives. So if you lose one drive, you only lose what's on that disc. It has a version of striping and has backup options. When striping is enabled, two copies of the file are made (which is also a form of redundancy), so when you play a file, it's read from two locations. I much prefer that to true striping. If having two copies aren't enough redundancy, you can enable backup. This will create further copies of you files. You don't need to match the drives in the pool, and they can be added and removed at will. So if you fill the pool, you just add a drive. It's far better storage management.

Edited by Doofus

SHSPVR

I'm using stablebit. What I like is, that all the files are whole. All files are distributed over all drives. So if you lose one drive, you only lose what's on that disc. It has a version of striping and has backup options. When striping is enabled, two copies of the file are made (which is also a form of redundancy), so when you play a file, it's read from two locations. I much prefer that to true striping. If having two copies aren't enough redundancy, you can enable backup. This will create further copies of you files. You don't need to match the drives in the pool, and they can be added and removed at will. So if you fill the pool, you just add a drive. It's far better storage management.

Dose need preformat drives or can it add drives in to pool that all ready have data on them ?.

Edited by SHSPVR

Guest asrequested

Dose need preformat drievs or can it add drives in to pool that all ready have data on them ?.

You can add any drive you want, as long as it correctly formatted, of course. But if you are adding data to the pool, I would suggest adding the data first, clear the drive, then add the drive. Unless you want to use the drive for other data store, as well as the pool. I keep mine dedicated to the pool.

It doesn't need to be pool formatted, if that's what you're asking. Just OS formatted.

Edited by Doofus

mediacowboy

Drive bender does all the same things. It cost $5. It does not have a full time developer but is still being updates.

SHSPVR

You can add any drive you want, as long as it correctly formatted, of course. But if you are adding data to the pool, I would suggest adding the data first, clear the drive, then add the drive. Unless you want to use the drive for other data store, as well as the pool. I keep mine dedicated to the pool.

It doesn't need to be pool formatted, if that's what you're asking. Just OS formatted.

The data are ready on the drive I few them 2: 3TB and 1: 2TB and 2: 1TB

When say "clear the drive" I'm guesting you mean unmount the drive letter from disk management ? that software can take over the drive. 

mediacowboy

Doing it that prevents accidentally deleting something. I can say with driver bender you have the option to say this drive has data on it and it will just merge it. If it is a blank drive drive bender will give you the option to format it.

Drive bender is a 60 day trial.

Edited by mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

Doing it that prevents accidentally deleting something. I can say with driver bender you have the option to say this drive has data on it and it will just merge it. If it is a blank drive drive bender will give you the option to format it.

Drive bender is a 60 day trial.

That's cool. I haven't any need to check if stablebit can do that.

PenkethBoy

No need to delete anything on an existing ntfs drive for drivepool - just add the drive to the pool as is - if you want the data to be part of the pool you just have to move it into the "poolpart" directory on that disk or leave it as is (DP will ignore it) - couple of second job and the data will appear in the pool - then it gets duplicated per your settings. The poolpart directory is a hidden directory on each disk but easy to make visible.

If you want to have data outside the pool on any of the pool drives thats not a problem - if you want to remove the drive from the pool you can do that easily it will leave the outside data alone and move the pooled data off to other drives - but you can control this

The advantage over raid is the data on all drives is readable by any os that can mount a ntfs drive (most if not all os's can do this) and the pool is portable to any other windows based machine - just connect the drives install drivepool and the pool will be found and working in a few minutes :) - no reconfig no rebuild just works out the box

cons are you need double the space for full duplication (raid1 equivalent) but you can be selective on what you duplicate i.e. folder by folder if you wish - read striping is limited to the level of duplication you have vs the number of drives you have in your array - but unless you have 10g network this is irrelevant in most situations.

The integration of Scanner and Clouddrive with Drivepool made it an easy choice for me over raid i have used for years

Drivebender is similar to drivepool from the sound of it 

mediacowboy

Case and card should both be in on Friday. It is supposed to be cold here where I live this weekend so perfect day to mod

mediacowboy

I wish I could but I have a limit of 200 per pay period. Now if I get my bonus. I may be able to get everything else at once.

Guest asrequested

I wish I could but I have a limit of 200 per pay period. Now if I get my bonus. I may be able to get everything else at once.

Tax refund is approaching :)

mediacowboy

That may be how I do the drives. I am changing from the archive to Seagate ironwolf 8tbs.

I need 4 of those to get it up and running and two more Seagate archive for back up.

Edited by mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

That may be how I do the drives. I am changing from the archive to Seagate ironwolf 8tbs.

I need 4 of those to get it up and running and two more Seagate archive for back up.

Damn! Those are some hefty storage!

• Like 1

mediacowboy

Plus I don't like completely filling up my hard drives. Which is one cool feature of drive bender. It has file balancing. So I can take that 16+ tb and spread across multiple for less data lose if I do lose a drive.

Edited by mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

Plus I don't like completely filling up my hard drives. Which is one cool feature of drive bender. It has file balancing. So I can take that 16+ tb and spread across multiple for less data lose if I do lose a drive.

Yeah, I like that about drive pooling. And now that I have an 8 drive pool, I feel I have more redundancy and stability. I have a separate pool for tv archive and music. But I think I'm going to separate those, too.

mediacowboy

I do one pool. With everything in it. Yes risk but if a drive fails pop on another and copy over back up drives or if a backup drive fails copy back from server. I may buy another lsi card for the current/gaming system and free up some expansion ports.

Edited by mediacowboy