Future build and gaming system rebuild

mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

It's been hard but funds and family (Wife and 3 Kids) make my hobby life slim.

I totally understand. I was a step dad for a long time.i think that's probably why I go a little crazy with buying stuff, now :D

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
mediacowboy

Well I was able to get 4 of the 8 hard drives I want. I say want because I needed 4 to make the switch. Now time to migrate 18.2 TB over a 1 gig network. While at it also redo my naming standards on movies and TV.

f20a5a9fa76e9b986d77224e51b84bbb.jpg

The drive labeled remove is a landing place for just the media file (no folders, no bifs, NFO's, etc). Reason for the rename is to put the year for movies and save length on TV by going to name of show.s##e##.episode name from name of show - s##e## - episode name.

Also with the shuffle I am working on getting a good database for Radarr and Sonnar for Ombi.

Edited by mediacowboy

CBers

Reason for the rename is to put the year for movies and save length on TV by going to name of show.s##e##.episode name from name of show - s##e## - episode name.

Also with the shuffle I am working on getting a good database for Radarr and Sonnar for Ombi.

You should be able to do the TV renames in Sonarr, if you set up the naming as you want it, then you can just ORGANISE each show.

You have a need for Ombi?

mediacowboy

You should be able to do the TV renames in Sonarr, if you set up the naming as you want it, then you can just ORGANISE each show.

You have a need for Ombi?

Yes and no. Do I need it often no but having it where the wife, kids and parents can go there and request something versus text or word of mouth will make my life easier.

I didn't even think about sonarr renaming everything. How will that affect emby? I know I have over 20,000 episodes that will need to be renamed.

mediacowboy

That's gonna take a while. You seem like a patient guy :D

I'm am but not by nature. I have had to learn to be patient and wait.

Guest asrequested

I'm am but not by nature. I have had to learn to be patient and wait.

Having a wife and kids does that to you.

mediacowboy

Having a wife and kids does that to you.

That and working for a local municipality.

mediacowboy

@@CBers, I took your idea and ran with it. I cheated some add all my shows to monitor futures episodes and then just copied over the video files to the monitored location.

• Like 1

mediacowboy

So my patience was starting to run out when after I transferred all my future airing TV shows. I then remembered I created a script to put files in a series folder and then a season folder based on naming. So I pulled TV shows episodes and ran them there a program called bulk renamer. Replacing the stupid ( - ) with (.) and then ran my script. Then put my TV shows where they go on the new server and imported into sonarr. Wth didn't I start off that way

Edited by mediacowboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
mediacowboy

Well everything for my server is now up and running. All the media has been moved over and started to get processed in. It's a sad but happy moment to finally be able to focus on the upgrades for my gaming rig.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Well everything for my server is now up and running. All the media has been moved over and started to get processed in. It's a sad but happy moment to finally be able to focus on the upgrades for my gaming rig.

Is it running smoothly? All your patience and work paid off?

mediacowboy

As far as i can tell. The hottest the cpu has gotten is 115 degrees Fahrenheit or 46 degrees Celsius. I need to find a program to check drive Temps but everything seems to be running great. Which is when it is doing bif creation or chapter image creation. Which is unstable as it use all the cpu.

Edited by mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

As far as i can tell. The hottest the cpu has gotten is 115 degrees Fahrenheit. I need to find a program to check drive Temps but everything seems to be running great.

This is great for monitoring your hard drives

https://stablebit.com/Scanner

Edited by Doofus

mediacowboy

This great for monitoring your hard drives

https://stablebit.com/Scanner

I will have to give it a try.

@@CBers, do you know if drive bender shows the temperature of the disk?

Edited by mediacowboy

CBers

I will have to give it a try.

@@CBers, do you know if drive bender shows the temperature of the disk?

Is it not in the SMART information?

mediacowboy

So drive bender does show the smart attributes for each drive. The way I have my drives installed at this time is a space between each one. So Slot 1, 3, 5, and 7 are populated at this time and they are currently reporting as beloiw.

DB 1, Slot 1

Current temp - 44

Hottest temp - 50

DB 2, Slot 3

Current temp - 44

Hottest temp - 51

DB 3, Slot 5

Current temp - 45

Hottest temp - 50

DB 4, Slot 7

Current temp - 48

Hottest temp - 55

I did have a drive under Slot 7 for transfering data, WD 4.0 Green. I have since removed this as of 15 minutes ago and will continue to watch that dirve but looking at Seagates Ironwolf information they can get up to 70. I think at this time I am liking what I am seeing with this new build. Thanks everyone for your input and I will continue to update this as I upgrade or have issues.

Edited by mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

So drive bender does show the smart attributes for each drive. The way I have my drives installed at this time is a space between each one. So Slot 1, 3, 5, and 7 are populated at this time and they are currently reporting as beloiw.

DB 1, Slot 1

Current temp - 44

Hottest temp - 50

DB 2, Slot 3

Current temp - 44

Hottest temp - 51

DB 3, Slot 5

Current temp - 45

Hottest temp - 50

DB 4, Slot 7

Current temp - 48

Hottest temp - 55

I did have a drive under Slot 7 for transfering data, WD 4.0 Green. I have since removed this as of 15 minutes ago and will continue to watch that dirve but looking at Seagates Ironwolf information they can get up to 70. I think at this time I am liking what I am seeing with this new build. Thanks everyone for your input and I will continue to update this as I upgrade or have issues.

I've got my fans rigged to a controller with a heat sensor. I have it set so the hottest drive doesn't get above 44C. Most of the time they are between 38 and 40. I could make them cooler, but then the fans get too loud to run at those speeds, constantly. Most of the time the fans are at 50%. When the temp reached the threshold, they run at 100% for a short time, then back to 50%. That's during the day, when I'm not here most of the time. But you don't have much space. 

mediacowboy

Yeah I'm thinking replace the fans later down the road with a 4 pin. Current ones are 3 pin. And plug them into the motherboard versus the the hard drive cage.

mediacowboy

DB 1, Slot 1

Current temp - 44

Hottest temp - 50

DB 2, Slot 3

Current temp - 44

Hottest temp - 51

DB 3, Slot 5

Current temp - 45

Hottest temp - 50

DB 4, Slot 7

Current temp - 48

Hottest temp - 55

Just checked back in on my drives and everything is at 44 degrees Celsius. So I think the issue was with the green drive. It was pretty hot when I pulled it out even though it wasn't being used. 

Guest asrequested

When you add more drives, the temp will increase, and they are already pretty warm. Having a strong exhaust fan that has high static pressure to suck air from the front, around the drives, is what you should try and do. Is the front of the case, vented? 

mediacowboy

When you add more drives, the temp will increase, and they are already pretty warm. Having a strong exhaust fan that has high static pressure to suck air from the front, around the drives, is what you should try and do. Is the front of the case, vented?

The front of the case is where the hotswap bays are. The case only supports 3 fans. 2 on the front left and one in the rear. I'll take any recommendations on fans that push air but still remain silent. I also believe having the motherboard control the fans will help as it will control the case.

SHSPVR

DB 1, Slot 1

Current temp - 44

Hottest temp - 50

DB 2, Slot 3

Current temp - 44

Hottest temp - 51

DB 3, Slot 5

Current temp - 45

Hottest temp - 50

DB 4, Slot 7

Current temp - 48

Hottest temp - 55

More than 60°C‎: ‎Is too hot

40°C to 55°C‎: ‎Acceptable
25°C to 40°C‎: ‎Ideal
Less than 25°C‎: ‎Too cold
You never get good cool out that case design and fact are hot swap are poor at air flow any way

I try flopping the 2 side fans around from blow in to out and same with rear fan see if lower the temp any