Future build and gaming system rebuild

mediacowboy

Guest asrequested

Happy2Play

To me this Startech statement is deceiving.

•Connects up to four Serial ATA hard drives to a Serial-Attached SCSI (SAS) controller or backplane

mediacowboy

And I just ordered two of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252344098349?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They are already flashed to IT. 

Thank you. I hadn't planned on buying that just yet but it is hard to pass it up on that price. Plus I will now be able to look at it and the cage together and get cable lengths.

mediacowboy

The SFF-8087 cable, one is 0.50m or 19in long I can see part number one it and shorter one is most like lee a 0.25m or 10in long so that help there

I am having a hard time finding a 10 in cable. I did message the guy from the other build but he hasn't been on since may of 2016.

Edited by mediacowboy

mediacowboy

Case, card, sas cable, and shorter power cables should all be here next weekend. This is a start on getting this up and going. I plan to pick up a 6-32 tap and drill bit for the mother board stand offs this week and will post how it all goes.

SHSPVR

Case, card, sas cable, and shorter power cables should all be here next weekend. This is a start on getting this up and going. I plan to pick up a 6-32 tap and drill bit for the mother board stand offs this week and will post how it all goes.

​Are you ref to Create standoff mount for LSI card ?

I would just get the Standoff Spacer Adhesive Backed Plastic no drilling need problem solve

mediacowboy

​Are you ref to Create standoff mount for LSI card ?

I would just get the Standoff Spacer Adhesive Backed Plastic no drilling need problem solve

That is exactly what I was going to use the drill bit for. 

Again I am a complete noob when it come to custom mods. Would I need to worry about vibration and heat causing the adhesive to fail. Maybe not since there will be two fans in that air providing cool air.I do kind of like the idea for model stand off's. Purely cosmetic I guess as no one but me will ever see them again.

Also I can pick up the drill and tap for 6 bucks. I don't think this is a bad buy as I may start doing more customizing to my systems. 

Edited by mediacowboy

mediacowboy

That way to short you need this 3M 50CM ver in order to mount in same place as in link that I post with it attach to the bay cage

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8KC3-0726-0500/3M12026-ND/3641403?curr=usd&WT.z_cid=ref_octopart_dkc_buynow&site=us

Am I reading right on how much they want for this? 

This makes me sound cheap. I have no problem paying for quality just wasn't expecting it to be that much.

Edited by mediacowboy

SHSPVR

You do see how he made it right did zoom in on that photo

He use a small piece of aluminum flat bar, drill it and must likely tap it but I can't tell would nice to have some more info

He must have glue it to side of the cage as you can't just go drilling a hole thru the cage do keep in mind that that drive bay caddy slides in to that channel

It possible that there enough room for reg machine bolt and some washer and nuts but as said above that may not work as you have mod the drive caddy in order for it clear which would be the best and more solid way to go

You don't have worry about the vibration and heat causing the adhesive to fail you just need setup the surface before stick them to metal

Take some 320 Girt Sandpaper and do the area where stick to be sure wipe them with alcohol or acid tone let dry for 5 min then stick them on

Edited by SHSPVR

mediacowboy

Once I get everything in I can take pictures and measurements and know for sure.

mediacowboy

The card should be in by Saturday. Not sure yet as the post office is closed and won't ship until tomorrow.

Case should be in by 4-7 days but won't ship until tomorrow.

I'll take pictures and upload. Wife got a new camera for Christmas so I can get some good picture.

SHSPVR

Am I reading right on how much they want for this? 

This makes me sound cheap. I have no problem paying for quality just wasn't expecting it to be that much.

May bad it this one the http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/3m/8KH2-0723-0500/3M12029-ND/3641401

The price is right there $80.05

It has nothing to do with quality it have do with length

mediacowboy

May bad it this one the http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/3m/8KH2-0723-0500/3M12029-ND/3641401

The price is right there $80.05

It has nothing to do with quality it have do with length

It's all good. I wouldn't have even thought of all this without your help. I am really interested in getting all of this in and getting pictures and details for my use and other people. I have 6 stands off and screws on hand so I may mount the cable and card to the cage. Again will have to see how it all works when it gets in.

PenkethBoy

Couple of things to consider

Make sure your 8087 cables are the same length for each port - otherwise you get issues

Make sure you can cool the sas card properly

Have fun :)

mediacowboy

Couple of things to consider

Make sure your 8087 cables are the same length for each port - otherwise you get issues

Make sure you can cool the sas card properly

Have fun :)

If the mounting goes the way I am planning. The SAS card will be directly mounted in front of two 120MM intake fans.

Why make sure the cables are the same length to each port? Are you saying make sure both sas ports have the same cable or that each break out from the sas is the same length?

PenkethBoy

same cable type and length from each sas port - timing issues on the bus can occur if they are different lengths

Guest asrequested

same cable type and length from each sas port - timing issues on the bus can occur if they are different lengths

That's good to know. Fortunately for me, I have a love of symmetry :)

SHSPVR

Hmmm I never heard of this before where you get this info at ?, In fact it imposable to build a Storage Pod with all the same lengths

Far I know each SAS port can have different lengths

Edited by SHSPVR

PenkethBoy

depends how you use the disks if all separate will be ok - raided across both sas ports can cause issues

mediacowboy

I will be just passing them to the OS and drive bender will pool them. So do I need to still worry about length?

Guest asrequested

Thank you. I hadn't planned on buying that just yet but it is hard to pass it up on that price. Plus I will now be able to look at it and the cage together and get cable lengths.

My cards arrived, today. Much sooner than they said it would be.

mediacowboy

Mines says the 7th still. I won't be home to check for about one and half hours.

I believe mine will probably be later in the week as I just looked at where it was shipping from.

Edited by mediacowboy