Got network?

Guest asrequested

CBers

Yea.... I'm an HP fan... Except for the hardware limitations they have.. HP is what I use too. Nice....

I'm a HPUX Systems Administrator by trade, so I've hosted HP hardware for many years, but first server for the home.

Trying to find some software that will manage the internal fans first me.

SpeedFan doesn't seem to see them correctly.

Any ideas?

pir8radio

I'm a HPUX Systems Administrator by trade, so I've hosted HP hardware for many years, but first server for the home.

Trying to find some software that will manage the internal fans first me.

SpeedFan doesn't seem to see them correctly.

Any ideas?

You can't.  You can view fan speeds but you cant control them..  Fan speeds are all controlled by iLO firmware on HP,  since its a separate hardware piece, no OS software has control.   I forgot what gen server you had, but gen8 + has iLO4 which you can view the fan speed stats via snmp, you can still do it with older iLO but its a bit more of a pain.  I say "you can't" because I tried really hard, lol even looking into third party firmware to modify the firmware on the iLO to force the fans a bit slower...   I gave up. 

590875db2d44b_Capture.png

Edited by pir8radio
  • Like 2

MSattler

uuuuuhh....YES! :D

Picked up a QNAP 16 bay last week.

https://www.amazon.com/TS-1635-4G-US-Cost-Effective-16-Bay-Business-Integrated/dp/B01N0HBP76/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493726737&sr=8-1&keywords=QNAP+16bay

Running 6 x 2TB Raid 10, and 4 x 2TB Raid 10, and fronting it with SSD cache.  It also has 2 x 10Gbe SFP+ interfaces on it so it connects right up to my LB6M switch.

I'm still in the process of migrating everything around, but am happy with it so far =)

MSattler

You can't.  You can view fan speeds but you cant control them..  Fan speeds are all controlled by iLO firmware on HP,  since its a separate hardware piece, no OS software has control.   I forgot what gen server you had, but gen8 + has iLO4 which you can view the fan speed stats via snmp, you can still do it with older iLO but its a bit more of a pain.  I say "you can't" because I tried really hard, lol even looking into third party firmware to modify the firmware on the iLO to force the fans a bit slower...   I gave up. 

590875db2d44b_Capture.png

What he said. +1.

I will say the HP/Dell servers seem to be much quieter than the SuperMicro's. 

I went with a Dell R610, but mainly because it seems the HP's are a bit more picky about about 3rd party PCI-E cards.

• Like 1

pir8radio

Thanks @@pir8radio.

It's a gen 6,but there's no iLO card, so I'll see if I can find one.

It should be built onto the mother board (but it is still separate, not accessible via OS)...  there should be a separate Ethernet port labeled iLO or iLO2

Edited by pir8radio

pir8radio

What he said. +1.

I will say the HP/Dell servers seem to be much quieter than the SuperMicro's. 

I went with a Dell R610, but mainly because it seems the HP's are a bit more picky about about 3rd party PCI-E cards.

That is the one thing I dislike about HP's ANY hardware (pci, ram, drive, cpu) that is not stamped with an HP logo, will work, but drive the fan speeds to ludicrous speed, and be so loud you cant use the server in a home environment.  HP says the reason is, non HP hardware doesn't contain the temperature sensors (sea of sensors), so they treat that hardware as having a high temp and run the fans up...  yea.....      BUT I will say, my server has temperatures for just about everything lol..

I like pictures...

590881727035f_Capture.png

Edited by pir8radio

CBers

It's a gen 6,but there's no iLO card, so I'll see if I can find one.

Don't need an iLO card, as IPMI is configurable in the BIOS, using a shared NIC that is setup in Windows.

So I can now open a browser and point to the IP and access the iLO.

post-36-0-25844600-1493887380_thumb.jpg

pir8radio

Don't need an iLO card, as IPMI is configurable in the BIOS, using a shared NIC that is setup in Windows.

So I can now open a browser and point to the IP and access the iLO.

Oh good work...  iLO-100 wow... I'm sure they have a firmware update, you might get more features or something...   good luck with the server! 

• Like 1

CBers

Oh good work... iLO-100 wow... I'm sure they have a firmware update, you might get more features or something... good luck with the server!

Thanks.

I haven't had a chance to check on the iLO updates yet.

• 2 months later...
pir8radio

Guys! I'm looking for a little advice. I want to buy a better router, to increase security (add VPN etc). I'm thinking about one of these

https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-routing/unifi-security-gateway-pro-4/

Thoughts, suggestions?

They are neat...  Like Nest thermostat neat...  They are over priced like that as well..   If you are just looking for more security, you can pickup a cisco router from ebay for a quarter of the price..  But the unifi stuff is pretty easy to setup and gives some pretty neat stats all built in...   I use their AP's in my home, only used the routers never owned one...  I still like DD-WRT.    The network guys at work rave about their PFSENSE setups, and how great they work..  But i'v never been a fan of a PC based firewall...  If you buy it let us know how you like it. 

Guest asrequested

They are neat...  Like Nest thermostat neat...  They are over priced like that as well..   If you are just looking for more security, you can pickup a cisco router from ebay for a quarter of the price..  But the unifi stuff is pretty easy to setup and gives some pretty neat stats all built in...   I use their AP's in my home, only used the routers never owned one...  I still like DD-WRT.    The network guys at work rave about their PFSENSE setups, and how great they work..  But i'v never been a fan of a PC based firewall...  If you buy it let us know how you like it. 

Yeah I like the UI. I'm just not sure how well it will integrate with my Quanta and D-link switches. I don't have fancy networking, so I think it should be ok. I've read some reviews that suggest this particular model is a bit problematic, but I think they were using more complicated networks.

andrew_nyr

Internet: Xfinity 150 / 6

Router/Firewall: ASUS RT-A68U

Server 2008 R2: Alternate DNS Server, DHCP

Server 2012 R2: Main DNS, ADDS, Emby, File And Storage, DHCP

Server 2016: Plex, Netcam Studio

*Each Server Is Connected With Two Cat 6 Cables To The Network*

*Raspberry Pi Running Libre ELEC (NOT OPEN ELEC)*

*Many Roaming WIFI Devices Connected To Active Directory Server*

Guest asrequested

Yeah, see, that's more fancy than mine. Do you have 4G LTE failback with T-Mobile? Is that what I'm seeing?

Swynol

Guys! I'm looking for a little advice. I want to buy a better router, to increase security (add VPN etc). I'm thinking about one of these

Thoughts, suggestions?

i use this router in my place. controller software is excellent but you have to have a always on machine to run the controller software, however you dont have to have it running for the router to work.

my unifi router does vlaning, updates ddns records, has a strong firewall, does vpn, guest wifi and portal amungst alot more. if you do go for it make sure you use the beta software, i think its version 5.6.xx atm which is what i run, has alot more features than the standard one. 

I have a unfi switch and a few APs so they all tie into the software. it should work fine with other switches aslong as you set the correct vlans up and a trunk port.

Another option is pfSense or Sophos UTM. i also run a sophos UTM between my router and switches. i run it on a low powered i3 machine but it also works on some of the newer atom board. I highly recommend sophos UTM, you can do some amazing stuff with it. it logs all internet traffic so i know what sites people are accessing at what time and for how long, it decrypts https traffic and scans all incoming packets for viruses. it also acts as my second firewall and manages my endpoints anti virus. The UTM can also be used as a router so i could remove the unifi if i wanted to.

if you want some screen shots let me know.  

mastrmind11

Thoughts, suggestions?

I've got that set up (replaced my fios router with at) as well as one of their APs in my attic.  Super high quality stuff and powerful for what you pay for it.  Their stuff kills the consumer grade crap you probably have now and pretty simple to set up, with more features being added to the controller software on a pretty regular basis.

Guest asrequested

Thanks guys. I think I'll get it. Either of you use the cloud key? I may get one of those, too.

mastrmind11

Thanks guys. I think I'll get it. Either of you use the cloud key? I may get one of those, too.

You don't need a cloud key if you leave the controller running full time.  I've got the controller installed on my emby server, which is on 24/7.  You can also install the controller on a rPi.  I'd only consider a cloud key and/or rPi if you're setting up a network at a remote site where you either don't have easy access to the physical network or can't guarantee the controller is running full time.

Guest asrequested

You don't need a cloud key if you leave the controller running full time.  I've got the controller installed on my emby server, which is on 24/7.  You can also install the controller on a rPi.  I'd only consider a cloud key and/or rPi if you're setting up a network at a remote site where you either don't have easy access to the physical network or can't guarantee the controller is running full time.

Yeah, I was reading up on it, yesterday. Watched some videos, too. I have three machines that run 24/7, but I kinda like the idea of using my phone look at the stats etc. Maybe down the line I'll do that. I'm definitely going to get the router.

mastrmind11

Yeah, I was reading up on it, yesterday. Watched some videos, too. I have three machines that run 24/7, but I kinda like the idea of using my phone look at the stats etc. Maybe down the line I'll do that. I'm definitely going to get the router.

You can use your phone w/o a cloudkey.  Just install the controller somewhere, create a ubnt.com account, and link the controller to the account.  Then you can log into the ubnt app on your phone and access your controller remotely.  Or via their web app https://account.ubnt.com/login