Got network?

Guest asrequested

mediacowboy

Well, the delivery company (Ontrac sucks so badly), screwed up so much, that Amazon have written it off and are refunding my money. The switch arrived, today. Wanna know what's really nuts? In the process to get it sorted out, Amazon have shipped two more to me. They are still in transit. I have no idea what's going to happen with those. They may or may not show up... lol

Dang so you'll have three. I've never heard of ontrac. Could be I live in the middle of the Texas panhandle where even DHL doesn't even have a center and relies on Usps.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

Dang so you'll have three. I've never heard of ontrac. Could be I live in the middle of the Texas panhandle where even DHL doesn't even have a center and relies on Usps.

The other two are apparently being delivered, today. I don't know what's going to happen with those. I'll see what Amazon does.

mastrmind11

The other two are apparently being delivered, today. I don't know what's going to happen with those. I'll see what Amazon does.

Assuming the items were sold and fulfilled through Amazon, they likely won't do anything.  I'm guessing that's why there is a "received extra item I didn't buy" reason when initiating a return through them.  Probably best faith.  They're so big 1 or 2 items isn't even a blip.

Guest asrequested

Well, at the very least, I have one for free. Already been refunded :D

Now I can buy the other switch I wanted :D

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Assuming the items were sold and fulfilled through Amazon, they likely won't do anything. I'm guessing that's why there is a "received extra item I didn't buy" reason when initiating a return through them. Probably best faith. They're so big 1 or 2 items isn't even a blip.

They were directly from Amazon. The other two were shipped 'next day shipping' as replacements. Every one they sent had problems with the delivery. Amazon gave me an 'undeliverable' notification for each one of them. I guess it worked out well for me, in the end :D

@

Do your servers/clients have 10gbe nics? Are there any you'd recommend?

I'm looking at sourcing a few for a new router build, storage server and workstation. Ideally looking to spend no more than $250 a piece, I'm thinking office surplus pulls might be the best option - maybe the Intel x540 chipset. 

Guest asrequested

@

Do your servers/clients have 10gbe nics? Are there any you'd recommend?

I'm looking at sourcing a few for a new router build, storage server and workstation. Ideally looking to spend no more than $250 a piece, I'm thinking office surplus pulls might be the best option - maybe the Intel x540 chipset.

I'm using a single port mellanox connectx-2 ($20 on ebay) and I have dual port mellanox connectx-3 cards in my servers (around $160 on eBay). You can also use 10G over copper, with Intel NICs. I have both, but prefer the mellanox. Not that you can really tell the difference in performance. If Amazon don't ask for these switches, back, I'll likely sell one. And I also will sell my quanta. If you're interested?

PenkethBoy

@@dcrdev

x540 Intel cards are good - as with all 10gb cards make sure you have good cooling as they get hot under load

if you dont mind waiting 2-3 weeks you can get them from China via ebay for ~ £100 brand new - which is what i did - have had no issues so far

I'm using a single port mellanox connectx-2 ($20 on ebay) and I have dual port mellanox connectx-3 cards in my servers (around $160 on eBay). You can also use 10G over copper, with Intel NICs. I have both, but prefer the mellanox. Not that you can really tell the difference in performance. If Amazon don't ask for these switches, back, I'll likely sell one. And I also will sell my quanta. If you're interested?

Thanks, but aren't those mellanox cards infiniband - I'm suprised they are supported by your switch?

@@dcrdev

x540 Intel cards are good - as with all 10gb cards make sure you have good cooling as they get hot under load

if you dont mind waiting 2-3 weeks you can get them from China via ebay for ~ £100 brand new - which is what i did - have had no issues so far

Good to know - temps were actually something I was struggling to find information on.

My workstation will be no problem cooling wise, my server on the other hand is a different matter. I've built the server in a small form factor case and there's virtually no room for additional cooling beyond the cpu cooler and 140mm exhaust in there now - sort of hoped that I could go passive with the nic.

Guest asrequested

I was able to get mine from the US, new, for about the same price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Intel-X540-T2-10G-Dual-RJ45-Ports-PCI-E-Ethernet-Network-Adapter-NEW-CHIP-US-/252258333977

59bcc45b2a30d_Snapshot_213.jpg

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Thanks, but aren't those mellanox cards infiniband - I'm suprised they are supported by your switch?

@@dcrdev

No, they are SFP+ and they don't run as hot as the Intel NICs. But still warm.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MNPA19-XTR-MELLANOX-CONNECTX-2-PCI-E-X8-10GBE-SFP-NETWORK-INTERFACE-CARD-/182492229661?hash=item2a7d62701d:g:bV0AAOSwhvFZC4nY

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mellanox-MCX312A-XCBT-ConnectX-3-EN-Network-Interface-Card-10GbE-Dual-Port-SFP-/232460955349?hash=item361fc0aed5:g:BtIAAOSwhIFZngs3

I was lucky enough to get my Connectx-3 NICs new, for $90. I think they incorrectly priced them. When I looked later, they were double the price.

59bcbe8becd49_Snapshot_212.jpg

They now sell a single port for $170

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Mellanox-ConnectX-3-Single-port-SFP-10GbE-Adapter-network-adapter-ZZ-/122419632006

The DAC cables are cheap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Cisco-SFP-H10GB-CU3M-NEW-PULL-SAME-DAY-SHIPPING-WARRANTY-/232484763913?epid=129673198&hash=item36212bf909:g:UkIAAOSwX-pZtqGT

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

any 10g card will get hot with a high workload - i.e. running well above 1g speed for a long period - say moving 100's of GB in one go

the intel cards do have a large low profile heat sink so for general usage they might well be fine - i have not had an issue with my x540-t2's but have good cooling in my desktop and server - the intel drivers do tell you if its getting too hot but not actually what the temp is!

If you get a single port 10g nic heat should be less of an issue - although the big downside would be the loss of SMB Multipath (assuming windows) which makes a big difference

mellanox connectx-2/3 are 10G SFP+ cards and you connect them with DAC cable assuming you do not need long runs as they are limited in length

​Ha beaten to it :)

Edited by PenkethBoy

Guest asrequested

any 10g card will get hot with a high workload - i.e. running well above 1g speed for a long period - say moving 100's of GB in one go

the intel cards do have a large low profile heat sink so for general usage they might well be fine - i have not had an issue with my x540-t2's but have good cooling in my desktop and server - the intel drivers do tell you if its getting too hot but not actually what the temp is!

If you get a single port 10g nic heat should be less of an issue - although the big downside would be the loss of SMB Multipath (assuming windows) which makes a big difference

mellanox connectx-2/3 are 10G SFP+ cards and you connect them with DAC cable assuming you do not need long runs as they are limited in length

​Ha beaten to it :)

I agree. Mine were/are just fine. The difference is negligible.

You can use 20 meter SPF+ cables. Whereas with copper (CAT6), you can go 55 meters.

My new switch has both SFP+ and 10G copper. So I have flexibility.

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I've never heard of ontrac. Could be I live in the middle of the Texas panhandle where even DHL doesn't even have a center and relies on Usps.

You're lucky. Ontrac don't make it down your way.

https://www.ontrac.com/

59bccce41701f_Snapshot_214.jpg

Edited by Doofus

mediacowboy

You're lucky. Ontrac don't make it down your way.

https://www.ontrac.com/

59bccce41701f_Snapshot_214.jpg

From what you are saying I am glad and will have to remember never move anywhere they services.

Guest asrequested

From what you are saying I am glad and will have to remember never move anywhere they services.

But it does look like I'm getting $1500 of switches for free :D

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Can I just say, I love this Unifi stuff. I basically plugged the new switch in, adopted it, and BOOM! It just works. It automagically knows what's plugged in and pretty much self-configures :D

• Like 1

Happy2Play

Well, I think the new switch is F**KED!

Breaking your new toys already.

Guest asrequested

Breaking your new toys already.

Actually, I'm still trying figure out what's going on. It's freaking weird. It may be the PCIe port on the motherboard. I've reset the system so many times.

Guest asrequested

Well, it looks like if you connect that Unifi switch to a Mellanox ConnectX-2 single port, the switch with kill that DAC cable. It's killed three of mine. The cards are fine. The connectX-3 seem to be fine. Fortunately I have some 10G Intel cards and both switches support 10G over CAT6.

Scratch that! It's frying ALL my DAC cables. POS!

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

I had the wrong cables. They support specific modules. They pointed me to the list. I told them that should be in the main page. I've found some fairly cheap cables on Amazon. I'll buy a couple and see how well they work. I've spent most of the day dealing with this.