Got network?

Guest asrequested

PenkethBoy

OK so base-t's work fine - so basic network is fine (technical term :) )

are both types of connect cards dual port?

maybe there is some issue with the drivers not working well in dual setups - i guess you have used your google foo to check

I cant test this as do not have connectx cards

are any other lan ports enabled on either system? - it could be windows being dumb and using a 1g card instead of the 10g card - you cant control this but you can influence it or just unplug any 1g cables to on board nics?

I have all my 1g ports disabled to prevent windows routing via them

PS is that movie any good? i have avoided it as it just sounds like a marketing/revenue puff piece?

PenkethBoy

ah so you have a intel in one machine and a connectx in the other!!!!

hang on the D-Link switch has four sfp ports only two of which are sfp+ as you dont have the other switch yet are you using the other two ports to connect to the other pc? So using all four?

Guest asrequested

OK so base-t's work fine - so basic network is fine (technical term :) )

are both types of connect cards dual port?

maybe there is some issue with the drivers not working well in dual setups - i guess you have used your google foo to check

I cant test this as do not have connectx cards

are any other lan ports enabled on either system? - it could be windows being dumb and using a 1g card instead of the 10g card - you cant control this but you can influence it or just unplug any 1g cables to on board nics?

I have all my 1g ports disabled to prevent windows routing via them

PS is that movie any good? i have avoided it as it just sounds like a marketing/revenue puff piece?

I haven't disabled the onboard 1G ports, but nothing is connected to them. That is an interesting idea, though. I was only 1G worth of bandwidth. I'll have to test that. The connectx-2 cards are single port and x-3 cards are dual.

I liked the movie, many didn't. But all I wanted/expected was a dark and brooding 'beat-em-up', and I got what I wanted. 

Guest asrequested

ah so you have a intel in one machine and a connectx in the other!!!!

hang on the D-Link switch has four sfp ports only two of which are sfp+ as you dont have the other switch yet are you using the other two ports to connect to the other pc? So using all four?

No, this switch has 8 RJ45 and only 2 SFP+, all 10G

PenkethBoy

if you are not connected to the 1g ports they will not affect the others as they are effectively disabled

PenkethBoy

ok - so you connect one sfp+ from pc a and one from pc b and then you only get 1g speed? even though the switch says its at 10g

do the windows properties on each pc for the cards show they are connected at 10g?

Guest asrequested

if you are not connected to the 1g ports they will not affect the others as they are effectively disabled

That's what I thought

Guest asrequested

ok - so you connect one sfp+ from pc a and one from pc b and then you only get 1g speed? even though the switch says its at 10g

do the windows properties on each pc for the cards show they are connected at 10g?

Yes and Yes. It's really bizarre. 

It has to be how the switch connects them, somehow

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

lol yes - out of ideas for now :)

I have the Quanta on order, maybe that will work better. And I'll have direct access to it, as it will connect to the console

Edited by Doofus

pir8radio

I have the Quanta on order, maybe that will work better. And I'll have direct access to it, as it will connect to the console

what switch model are you using today?

Guest asrequested

I'm having a thought, here. I wonder if the X3 cards aren't multipath compliant. And windows is knocking it all down to 1G. If when I get the quanta, it still doesn't work, the one configuration I didnt try was using just the X2 cards (single port) . Because they are SFP+ maybe they aren't multipath configurable? Thoughts?

Edited by Doofus

PenkethBoy

"I'm having a thought, here. I wonder if the X3 cards aren't multipath compliant. And windows is knocking it all down to 1G. "

As i understand it - the os does the work on multipath - have you checked on the card forums for any issues? If it did not work then you would see all traffic going out one port and none on the other. Your main issue is you are seeing 1g speed not the 10g you want. What you could try to eliminate the dlink switch is connect the two pc's directly via your dac cables and see what speed you get that way - give each port manually an ip address.

One other thought you could ask dlink if the x3 are supported?

"If when I get the quanta, it still doesn't work, the one configuration I didnt try was using just the X2 cards (single port) . Because they are SFP+ maybe they aren't multipath configurable? Thoughts? "

Well you need two cards/ports to have multipath so you would need two x2 cards installed in a machine to check  :blink:  :P

Guest asrequested

No, what I was saying is that maybe the issue is with the dual port ConnectX cards. The X2 cards are single port, and if I use one of those in each machine, maybe it will work. Maybe windows is having some kind of confusion?

PenkethBoy

Could be a driver issue with the x3 cards

If the x2 cards work at 10g then that will narrow it down a bit

Guest asrequested

Could be a driver issue with the x3 cards

If the x2 cards work at 10g then that will narrow it down a bit

They both use the windows 10 driver, but I'll play around with it, tomorrow

Guest asrequested

So I figured it out. The max jumbo packet size in the switch is 9216. I set the connectx cards to the same. When I compared that to the X540 cards, they maxed out at 9014. So I set the connectx to the same, and voila. Solid high transfer rates.

• Like 2

Guest asrequested

They hate me, that's what it is. I'm sure that when I go to bed, they have a good giggle and think of new ways to mess with me. It's not paranoia when they are really out to get you.

PenkethBoy

did you factory reset the new one first?

They are under strict orders to play dead when you walk in the room  :P  :D

Guest asrequested

did you factory reset the new one first?

No. It has an IP but doesn't give me web access, and apparently web access is possible when configured correctly. I've got the console cable, but I can't find what instruction I need to use in the terminal. Using PuTTY, when I type in the terminal, all the characters come out wrong. I'm cursed, I tell you! 

Edited by Doofus