Got network?

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

You can use your phone w/o a cloudkey.  Just install the controller somewhere, create a ubnt.com account, and link the controller to the account.  Then you can log into the ubnt app on your phone and access your controller remotely.  Or via their web app https://account.ubnt.com/login

Sweet! Thanks! Obviously I didn't read enough lol. The more I know about this router, the more I want it! :D

Have you guys changed the fans? I will be. They apparently squeal a bit.

Edited by Doofus

Swynol

ye as mastrmind11 says. i have the controller running on my windows machine which my emby server runs on. can access the stats and dpi stuff anytime.did consider an rpi but its just another thing to have running 24/7

andrew_nyr

Ah right. I have used one a long time ago. I was on Sprint, and they have terrible service.

Actually I love their service but for faster calling and speedy texts i love the antenna.

Guest asrequested

ye as mastrmind11 says. i have the controller running on my windows machine which my emby server runs on. can access the stats and dpi stuff anytime.did consider an rpi but its just another thing to have running 24/7

This is excellent info, guys. Great tip about running it on the server. I'll do that, I think. Thanks! I'll be ordering it, very soon. 

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Actually I love their service but for faster calling and speedy texts i love the antenna.

I've never used T-mobile. I'm on verizon, right now.

Tur0k

So, my network is pretty simple from a physical configuration perspective but complex from a services perspective.

My network starts at the ISP drop. We have comcast cable Internet. I pay for 250 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload. I use a Motorola Arris SB6190. It has 32 download and 8 upload channels. Max download is 1.4 Gbps. I will probably need to move to a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem if I want gigabit WAN speed though.

I use PFSENSE as my firewall. I run mine on mini pc. The specs are a an i7-5500u with 8 GB of ram, 74GB SSD, and dual Intel NICS. It already has AES-NI support for 2.5. The PFsense firewall is the equivalent of Batman's utility belt. Currently, I have my PFsense firewall configured to support IPv4/IPv6 networking, VLANS, DHCP (with , DHCP IP reservation), DNS, active IDS, web proxy w/ network level A/V, Spam/blacklist blocking, DDNS client, let's encrypt acme SSL client, reverse proxy, and VPN connectivity.

I then run a simple 24 port gigabit network switch. I am planning on adding POE video surveillance to my house and will be moving to a managed POE switch. Currently, I am looking for either a Ubiquiti US-24-250 or a Cisco SG200 or 300 with at least 24 ports and POE.

I use a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE AP that is centrally mounted in my single story ranch with a basement. With it I get perfect coverage throughout my house. I run the Linux version of the UNIFI controller software on an old RPI (no cloud support).

I also host a wireless Zwave network for my home automation control. I have a homeseer smartstick+ as the root transceiver. I have it located in the center of my house and all devices are able to connect directly to the root transceiver. I use homeseer HS3 for Linux as the HA controller. Currently I am controller interior and exterior lighting, ceiling fans, HVAC thermostat, motion, temperature, humidity, door open/closed, and power outlets, as well as monitoring my clothes washer and dryer. I am controlling some 37 total Zwave nodes and need to add in another 37 to be complete. I am in the middle of updating my security system and will add it into the network, and will integrate it with my HS3 controller.

My Emby server is tied into the network with a DHCP reserved IP address. I have mini PCs and RPI 3 media streamers setup throughout the house to distribute my videos to those TVs. We also have a few tablets that are setup to stream Emby when local or remote.

My reverse proxy is configured to make some of my internal web services (Emby, home automation backend, my HA client smartphone app, available externally. I allow the reverse proxy on pfsense to handle HTTPS from the outside or inside, and utilize the let's encrypt acme managed SSL certificates. The system determines which service is requested based on the HTTPS requested subdomain. My next step is to implement client side certificate authentication. This would mean that my publicly accessible web services would only accessible if the client that is attempting to connect had an approved client certificate.

I have a Visio diagram somewhere that graphically enumerates my network. I will look for it and post it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k

Guest asrequested

So, my network is pretty simple from a physical configuration perspective but complex from a services perspective.

My network starts at the ISP drop. We have comcast cable Internet. I pay for 250 Mbps download and 12 Mbps upload. I use a Motorola Arris SB6190. It has 32 download and 8 upload channels. Max download is 1.4 Gbps. I will probably need to move to a DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem if I want gigabit WAN speed though.

I use PFSENSE as my firewall. I run mine on mini pc. The specs are a an i7-5500u with 8 GB of ram, 74GB SSD, and dual Intel NICS. It already has AES-NI support for 2.5. The PFsense firewall is the equivalent of Batman's utility belt. Currently, I have my PFsense firewall configured to support IPv4/IPv6 networking, VLANS, DHCP (with , DHCP IP reservation), DNS, active IDS, web proxy w/ network level A/V, Spam/blacklist blocking, DDNS client, let's encrypt acme SSL client, reverse proxy, and VPN connectivity.

I then run a simple 24 port gigabit network switch. I am planning on adding POE video surveillance to my house and will be moving to a managed POE switch. Currently, I am looking for either a Ubiquiti US-24-250 or a Cisco SG200 or 300 with at least 24 ports and POE.

I use a Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE AP that is centrally mounted in my single story ranch with a basement. With it I get perfect coverage throughout my house. I run the Linux version of the UNIFI controller software on an old RPI (no cloud support).

I also host a wireless Zwave network for my home automation control. I have a homeseer smartstick+ as the root transceiver. I have it located in the center of my house and all devices are able to connect directly to the root transceiver. I use homeseer HS3 for Linux as the HA controller. Currently I am controller interior and exterior lighting, ceiling fans, HVAC thermostat, motion, temperature, humidity, door open/closed, and power outlets, as well as monitoring my clothes washer and dryer. I am controlling some 37 total Zwave nodes and need to add in another 37 to be complete. I am in the middle of updating my security system and will add it into the network, and will integrate it with my HS3 controller.

My Emby server is tied into the network with a DHCP reserved IP address. I have mini PCs and RPI 3 media streamers setup throughout the house to distribute my videos to those TVs. We also have a few tablets that are setup to stream Emby when local or remote.

My reverse proxy is configured to make some of my internal web services (Emby, home automation backend, my HA client smartphone app, available externally. I allow the reverse proxy on pfsense to handle HTTPS from the outside or inside, and utilize the let's encrypt acme managed SSL certificates. The system determines which service is requested based on the HTTPS requested subdomain. My next step is to implement client side certificate authentication. This would mean that my publicly accessible web services would only accessible if the client that is attempting to connect had an approved client certificate.

I have a Visio diagram somewhere that graphically enumerates my network. I will look for it and post it.

Impressive! If i owned my own home, I would consider doing much of that.

mastrmind11

Sweet! Thanks! Obviously I didn't read enough lol. The more I know about this router, the more I want it! :D

Have you guys changed the fans? I will be. They apparently squeal a bit.

I don't have the pro, never found a reason for it since it sits at the edge of my network (replaced my Fios router since I have cat5 running from the ONT) and the additional ports didn't make sense for my network.  If you don't need the ports, get the smaller one, save the money.  Also, I can't recommend their AP line enough.  I use their AP-AC-LR version, installed in my attic, and I get full coverage in my basement (ie, through 3 wooden floors).  Replaced 2 consumer grade routers and an extender.  They're not the fastest, but the signal strength and uptime can't be beat, and you can control the power output via the controller and the band steering works really well.  I haven't had to reboot it since I installed it, which as I'm sure you're aware, rebooting consumer grade crap is almost a regularly scheduled event. 

Edited by mastrmind11

Guest asrequested

I don't have the pro, never found a reason for it since it sits at the edge of my network (replaced my Fios router since I have cat5 running from the ONT) and the additional ports didn't make sense for my network.  If you don't need the ports, get the smaller one, save the money.  Also, I can't recommend their AP line enough.  I use their AP-AC-LR version, installed in my attic, and I get full coverage in my basement (ie, through 3 wooden floors).  Replaced 2 consumer grade routers and an extender.  They're not the fastest, but the signal strength and uptime can't be beat, and you can control the power output via the controller and the band steering works really well.  I haven't had to reboot it since I installed it, which as I'm sure you're aware, rebooting consumer grade crap is almost a regularly scheduled event. 

I will be getting the same AP, too. I presently have the Linksys WRT 1900AC. When I bought it, it was $230. The price for the Pro Ubiquity is $260, so it isn't a big deal. I was originally looking at a Sonicwall, which was up around $900, used.

Swynol

so my network is as follows.

BT Fibre to the property max speeds are 300/20. only paying for 80/20. Fibre modem to WAN1 on my Unifi USG. WAN2 is setup as a failover to a 3g modem. currently not being used. LAN1 goes to my SOPHOS UTM firewall. From my UTM it goes to my 48 port Unifi switch, non-poe. All my devices connect to this switch. I currently have 1 unifi AC lite and 1 older unifi AP. i have a main VLAN, Security VLAN for cctv system, Guest VLAN and IoT VLAN. 

Security system is a 2U server, i3 haswell, 16GB RAM. Runs Blue Iris. I have a 2x 4mp IP cams, 2x 1080p IP cams and 2x 720p IP Cameras. 

Home Automation and IoT. I use Samsung smartthings with door contact sensors, presence sensors, lights, speakers and a few others. i also have a few echo dots, logitech hub and HA-Bridge. I also have audio distrubution using an airplay server hardwired to most the rooms in the house.

Main devices. I run my Sophos UTM on a 1U itx build using a i3 6100t (35w) 8GB ram, 128GB SSD and a 4x 1Gb NIC. This runs on ESXI. I have an identical build bar the 4x NIc which is my htpc for the living room. 

Main Server, runs my reverse proxy and most my services i.e. emby, sonarr, nzbget, unifi controller, prtg and a few others. 

i can access all my services externally that i want using HTTPS, i can also connect into my network using VPN. I can also access and play my Xbox one and steam remotely.  :)

for emby i have 2x windows 10 HTPC, 1 Roku XS, 1 NowTV smartbox, 1 Android mbox, 2x iPads, 2x iPhones, chromecast. 

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

so my network is as follows.

BT Fibre to the property max speeds are 300/20. only paying for 80/20. Fibre modem to WAN1 on my Unifi USG. WAN2 is setup as a failover to a 3g modem. currently not being used. LAN1 goes to my SOPHOS UTM firewall. From my UTM it goes to my 48 port Unifi switch, non-poe. All my devices connect to this switch. I currently have 1 unifi AC lite and 1 older unifi AP. i have a main VLAN, Security VLAN for cctv system, Guest VLAN and IoT VLAN. 

Security system is a 2U server, i3 haswell, 16GB RAM. Runs Blue Iris. I have a 2x 4mp IP cams, 2x 1080p IP cams and 2x 720p IP Cameras. 

Home Automation and IoT. I use Samsung smartthings with door contact sensors, presence sensors, lights, speakers and a few others. i also have a few echo dots, logitech hub and HA-Bridge. I also have audio distrubution using an airplay server hardwired to most the rooms in the house.

Main devices. I run my Sophos UTM on a 1U itx build using a i3 6100t (35w) 8GB ram, 128GB SSD and a 4x 1Gb NIC. This runs on ESXI. I have an identical build bar the 4x NIc which is my htpc for the living room. 

Main Server, runs my reverse proxy and most my services i.e. emby, sonarr, nzbget, unifi controller, prtg and a few others. 

i can access all my services externally that i want using HTTPS, i can also connect into my network using VPN. I can also access and play my Xbox one and steam remotely.  :)

for emby i have 2x windows 10 HTPC, 1 Roku XS, 1 NowTV smartbox, 1 Android mbox, 2x iPads, 2x iPhones, chromecast. 

Ya gotta love our toys! :D  Very nice, Swynol!

Guest asrequested

I'm still working on my core system. This new router will be a good step forward. My first backup drive should arrive, today. Then I can set up my backups. Once I get the new router, I may start creating VLANs. I haven't really needed them, as I don't have multiple systems like some of you. But I'm building :D

Swynol

Here are a few screen shots of my Unifi controller and Sophos UTM

I currently have a few sites that i monitor with my unifi controller. It's great for remote support and pre-empting issues before the users start to call

Default home screen showing a few stats

596e1e2da2309_unifi1.jpg

DPI stats

596e1e5c98e1a_unifi2.jpg

Switch port stats

596e1e6fc6e6f_unifi3.jpg

Sophos UTM homepage

596e1e87a18dc_utm1.jpg

UTM report on bandwidth

596e1ea11eb3d_utm2.jpg

Firewall violation report

596e1ebb9d882_utm3.jpg

And a web usage report

596e1ed1b33bc_utm4.jpg

Tur0k

After my upgrade on my network PoE switch, NVR, and POE cameras I will be planning to move all my equipment (NAS, unifi controller HA server, Emby, NVR, a new server 2016 essentials server (direct access, AD, etc), and firewall into a pair of ESXi hosts. Then I can move the drives on my NAS into the ESXi hosts. I am hoping to build them on multi-core AMDs, m.2 drives for OS partitions, and Maxed out RAM.

Edited by Tur0k

Swynol

After my upgrade on my network PoE switch, NVR, and POE cameras I will be planning to move all my equipment (NAS, unifi controller HA server, Emby, NVR, a new server 2016 essentials server (direct access, AD, etc), and firewall into a pair of ESXi hosts. Then I can move the drives on my NAS into the ESXi hosts. I am hoping to build them on multi-core AMDs, m.2 drives for OS partitions, and Maxed out RAM.

sounds like a plan. Currently i dont run my file server in ESXI, partly due to having time to do it and partly due to not having the balls to do it incase i loose data. I recently build a 1U server which contains 2x itx boards. At the moment one of them is on esxi which has my Sophos UTM on. It great that you can just spin up another VM if needed and remotely restarting a box is very handy. I'm tempted to move some of my service off my file server and create a new VM for them such as the unifi controller, Home automation stuff. Finally the other ITX board in the 1U case will be for my HTPC once i get round to installing the new CPU. not sure whether this will be ESXI yet, it depends if i can passthrough the Intel built in GPU, from research i dont think you can which is a shame

Swynol

You guys are so far ahead of me, lol.....but I'm getting there :D

Its taken me 3+ years to get to this stage. considering you only recently installed your rack it looks very impressive already. Wish i had the space for a full size rack. Looking back at when i built my house I should have incorporated a full rack and better cooling arrangements.

CBers

You guys are so far ahead of me, lol.....but I'm getting there :D

Only if you want to get where others are :)

I only run 2 servers in my home, connected to 3 Shield TV's via GB ethernet, with the internet supplied down a 200Mb/s connection, through a cable modem and a TPLINK router.

They do everything I need them to do, but the servers are man enough to do more if I need to.

Guest asrequested

I ran my first backup last night. Just one library, as a test. And I ordered the new router and AP. I should have them by the weekend.

I fantasize about having a room full of this stuff :D

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

Of what, to what, using what?

Of my TV archive, from my file server to my newly built backup/emby beta server. I just added an 8TB Ironwolf drive. I used Syncback pro. They have a 30 day trial with full features. Once I get more familiar with the software, I'll backup all my data and set it to a schedule.

• Like 1

Tur0k

Of my TV archive, from my file server to my newly built backup/emby beta server. I just added an 8TB Ironwolf drive. I used Syncback pro. They have a 30 day trial with full features. Once I get more familiar with the software, I'll backup all my data and set it to a schedule.

I am looking at their NAS ready 7200 rpm 128MB cache lines for my storage drive refresh.

CBers

I just use ROBOCOPY.