Got network?

Guest asrequested

mediacowboy

Return the one you paid for to Amazon for a refund :D

Hard to do when they all ready refunded his money for one and sent two more to make sure he got one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Guest asrequested

I didn't realise that :)

So 3 of them for nothing?

Smart.

I went through enough crap with this delivery, I think I earned it lmao

• Like 1

mediacowboy

New cables and the PoE switch on way. Should have them, tomorrow.

Hopefully different shipping company.

Guest asrequested

New switch is in and running. More pics later, when I've tidied the cabling.

59c3315f072c6_IMAG00721.jpg

I tried using one of my Intel X540-T2 10G cards with the Unifi 10G switch. It was having problems detecting it as 10G. It was connecting at 1G. Possibly because I had other 1G devices in the RJ-45 ports. I may test it further, later. For now, I re-installed my ConnectX-2, which works perfectly.

Guest asrequested

So, to use the Intel NICs with US-16-XG, auto sensing doesn't work. You have to set both the switch port and the NIC ports to 10G.

Side note. I was testing with the Intel NICs and the Connectx-3 NICs. Performance is pretty much the same, but the Intels are very much hotter. The heat sink was too hot to touch, whereas the Connectx-3 was only slightly warm.

@, I have been trying to make my custom firmware and L2 switch work. I have been trying to keep my network physically simple, because I deal with enough complexity at work, and I am only supporting 6 people in my house. I do need to upgrade my switch with a POE capable one. My plan is to eliminate the power injectors for my VOIP deskphone, wireless AP, and be ready for security cameras. Also, if I am going to upgrade add I may as well get a L3 switch.

Today I was at Microcenter and found this. It wasn't cheap but it is a really good unit. And the dropped the price to $1 less than amazon.

364bf9c8b1ec4e9a188cf3278efd3106.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Tur0k
  • Like 1

Guest asrequested

Nice! I really like mine. One thing that tripped me up a little bit, was setting up jumbo frames. On my other switches it's configured under the port settings. With the unifi stuff, it's per switch and it's just on or off. At first I didn't think it had the setting at all. I finally found it under services. I love being able to configure everything in one UI.

• Like 1

Guest asrequested

To bad the ubiquiti stuff is silver. Looks awesome now the less

Yeah. When I was deciding to get them, that was a consideration. All black is my preference.

• Like 1

Well, with the new cables, I'm happy to report that my network is working better than ever. Very snappy!

59c863983b1b9_Flashylights.gif

It annoys me how the blue unifi logo on the right hard side doesnt line up, its the same on my USG and 48 switch. I have heard the newer USG pro logos do line up.

Guest asrequested

It annoys me how the blue unifi logo on the right hard side doesnt line up, its the same on my USG and 48 switch. I have heard the newer USG pro logos do line up.

Both of my switches have detachable ears, the USG doesn't. I think that's the difference.

iamspartacus

Pic is about a year old and I've since moved from DACs to optics.  Will update with a new pic in a month when my renovation is complete.

GgnsMit.jpg?1

Top to Bottom:

• Cable Matters 24 Port Cat6 Patch Panel
  • Dell X1052 48 Port + 4 x 10Gb Port Switch
  • Cisco SG350XG-24F 10Gb Switch
  • pfSense 2.3.4 Firewall running on SuperMicro A1SRi-2758F

Green = IPMI

Blue = Server trunk ports

Purple = Wireless

Orange = UPS/PDU

Yellow = HDHR

Black = Trunk to Firewall

Edited by iamspartacus
  • Like 1

iamspartacus

Do the cable colors mean anything?

Yes, post updated.  Though this is not the most updated image so there have been some changes.  As I said in the server rack thread, I'll update with a new pic when my renovation is done in a month.

Edited by iamspartacus