Got network?

Guest asrequested

Guest asrequested

So my Quanta switch is just too noisy to use in its present location. I'll keep it as a backup.

Guest asrequested

Lots of general info about that switch here. Also includes several people that have modded it to quiet it down. https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/quanta-lb6m-10gbe-discussion.8002/

I've read through some of that. I've tried various fans, but the switch gets very hot. I've reduced the noise but I need to drop it much lower. I've thought about modifying the lid.

colejack

I've read through some of that. I've tried various fans, but the switch gets very hot. I've reduced the noise but I need to drop it much lower. I've thought about modifying the lid.

Several people in that thread have modded the top lid to mount larger fans. It will not fit in 1u anymore though.

Guest asrequested

Several people in that thread have modded the top lid to mount larger fans. It will not fit in 1u anymore though.

I'm thinking I'm going to move it to the top of the rack and either leave the lid off or cut a large vent and screen it. I'll run some testing on the heat is like with the lid off. With it at the top, I'll have space above it, for modifications.

PenkethBoy

if the top of your rack is open could you suspend a large fan above the switch with the lid off?

Guest asrequested

if the top of your rack is open could you suspend a large fan above the switch with the lid off?

That is a possibility. That's why I'm moving it to the top. It gives me a lot more options. I need to make a top plate, first. So my router has a place. It's going to be a fun weekend :D

Edited by Doofus

Guest asrequested

Well, that worked better than I'd hoped. @@colejack

I drilled (with a hole saw) a 3 inch hole in the lid above the CPU. Bolted an 80mm fan, there. I removed one of the rear fans and connected the 80mm to that connection. The other two fans, I turned them around, to blow in. This creates airflow in toward the 80mm, rather than sucking air through the case. Here are the results. I think I could put smaller fans at the back, but this thing is really quiet, and much cooler (with stock fans it runs at 44 degrees) than expected.

(FASTPATH Routing) #show env

Temp (Celsius)................................. 37
Fan Speed, RPM................................. 5142
Fan Duty Level................................. 50%
Temperature traps range: 0 to 45 degrees (Celsius)

Temperature Sensors:
Unit     Sensor  Description       Temp (Celsius)  State
----     ------  ----------------  --------------  --------------
1        1                         37              Normal

Fans:
Unit   Fan     Type        Speed      Duty level State
----   ------  ----------  --------   ---------- --------------
1      1       Fixed       5142              50% Operational
1      2       Fixed       5157              50% Operational
1      3       Fixed       1930              50% Operational
Edited by Doofus

colejack

Well, that worked better than I'd hoped. @@colejack

I drilled (with a hole saw) a 3 inch hole in the lid above the CPU. Bolted an 80mm fan, there. I removed one of the rear fans and connected the 80mm to that connection. The other two fans, I turned them around, to blow in. This creates airflow in toward the 80mm, rather than sucking air through the case. Here are the results. I think I could put smaller fans at the back, but this thing is really quiet, and much cooler (with stock fans it runs at 44 degrees) than expected.

(FASTPATH Routing) #show env

Temp (Celsius)................................. 37
Fan Speed, RPM................................. 5142
Fan Duty Level................................. 50%
Temperature traps range: 0 to 45 degrees (Celsius)

Temperature Sensors:
Unit     Sensor  Description       Temp (Celsius)  State
----     ------  ----------------  --------------  --------------
1        1                         37              Normal

Fans:
Unit   Fan     Type        Speed      Duty level State
----   ------  ----------  --------   ---------- --------------
1      1       Fixed       5142              50% Operational
1      2       Fixed       5157              50% Operational
1      3       Fixed       1930              50% Operational

Nice!

• 3 weeks later...
CharleyVarrick

I find the various hardware threads really interesting and even entertaining (like Doofus buying something new every other day it seems :D )

But you'll need to take a huge step down for my question.

On a daily basis, I transfer moderately sized files (between 1 and 2g) from one Win7 to a Win7 computers, all mechanical drives, sata to sata.

As stated elsewhere I made a Doofus out of me and replaced my 10/100 4ports switch with a 10/100/1000 4ports. Yes, I sacrificed a case of beer for the cause.

While I am pleased with the result, I'm just wondering if by spending more for a 10g switch, I would really get my pants blown off.

With the 10/100, file transfer speed was a sad 10/11mbps max.

With the last 10/100/1000, I get anywhere between 28 up to 90mbps

Would a 10g help in a significant way, considering  its from mechanical hdd to mechanical hdd?

Oh, both computer are connected to said switch (I am therefore inclined to think the data goes only thru the switch and not to my router up the chain) 

Edited by jlr19

MSattler

I

I find the various hardware threads really interesting and even entertaining (like Doofus buying something new every other day it seems :D )

But you'll need to take a huge step down for my question.

On a daily basis, I transfer moderately sized files (between 1 and 2g) from one Win7 to a Win7 computers, all mechanical drives, sata to sata.

As stated elsewhere I made a Doofus out of me and replaced my 10/100 4ports switch with a 10/100/1000 4ports. Yes, I sacrificed a case of beer for the cause.

While I am pleased with the result, I'm just wondering if by spending more for a 10g switch, I would really get my pants blown off.

With the 10/100, file transfer speed was a sad 10/11mbps max.

With the last 10/100/1000, I get anywhere between 28 up to 90mbps

Would a 10g help in a significant way, considering  its from mechanical hdd to mechanical hdd?

Oh, both computer are connected to said switch (I am therefore inclined to think the data goes only thru the switch and not to my router up the chain) 

Is it single disk to single disk?

Your 1Gbps interface would equal 125MBps.

A modern 7200 rpm drive can range from 80-160MBps.

Although the closer to the inside of the drive the slower your writespeeds get.  So while you may see 120-140Mbps, realistically it will be lower.

I wouldn't switch to 10G unless you have like a Raid config on the box that allows for higher writespeeds.

You could always test writespeeds to your local drive.

CharleyVarrick

Yes from one disk in pc#1 to another disk in pc#2, no raid.

pc#2 being "the server", all 5 data drives are 6tb WD Green (5400rpm?)

I am wondering why sometimes I am getting 80-90 mbps write speed (which I would be thrilled to get consistently), then some time only high 20's.

Guest asrequested

Using single mechanical drives, you won't see any difference. That's why some of us use SSDs in our drive pools. I went 10G because I have a lot of network traffic, that I needed the extra bandwidth for. And I can have faster transfers between my SSDs.

Guest asrequested

Yes from one disk in pc#1 to another disk in pc#2, no raid.

pc#2 being "the server", all 5 data drives are 6tb WD Green (5400rpm?)

I am wondering why sometimes I am getting 80-90 mbps write speed (which I would be thrilled to get consistently), then some time only high 20's.

If you're copying multiple files, transfer speeds will be slower.

CharleyVarrick

If you're copying multiple files, transfer speeds will be slower.

99% of the time, I am moving only 1 file, sometime along with its own folder.

Smaller files, tv episodes weighing 500mb are usually the slowest (30mbps).

Movie files around 1g are anywhere between 20-ish up to 90

I moved a movie file a few minutes ago, and checked task mgr's network utilization, it was barely hitting 2%

I use Teracopy if it makes any difference.

Edited by jlr19

CBers

Many, and especially small files, always leads to slower transfer times.

They're the bane of a backup administrator's life!

CharleyVarrick

I tend to agree, as I do a daily 1-way mirror-copy from server1 to server2 (using FreeFileSync) and when its down to copying all the small stuff (nfo's and jpg's), I see the speed really going down the drain. But from my workhorse main pc to server 1, its mostly a single medium sized (500-1000mb) file at a time

Guest asrequested

It's most likely because you're using archive drives. They are slow and meant for storage. They aren't designed for heavy traffic. My suggestion would be to start using pooling, and add an SSD to the pool, so the files are copied there, first, before the pooling software moves it to the archive drives.

CharleyVarrick

As of now, adding a drive to my present mid-tower server is not an option. All 6 sata ports on the mobo are already used.

But again, I have seen speed of up to 90mbps writes with current setup, which I'd love to get on a more consistent basis.

if pc 1 and 2 are connected to the same 1G switch, my data doesn't travel past the switch, right? As in it doesn't go past the mutual switch back to my router (?)