Linux Setup

Luke

Phaze,

Source code tags and releases can now be found here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/releases/tag/3.0.5387

Are you going to build from source or use the pre-built mono zip that we generate? If you're going to build from source then i think you have everything you need at this point. Build script is here:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/tree/master/Tools/Linux_Build_Scripts

thefirstofthe300

Thank you for getting the source code up so we can package from source!  That is a great advancement for packaging.  :) 

Awesome, thanks! I'll likely use the pre built binaries since the average unraid user won't have all the dev tools to compile on their Nas servers.

The unraid plugin will check the latest version then download the package, then extract it wherever the user has specified, then run. It will use the new -v option to display the currently installed version and to compare with the version released online to see if an update is available. Users can then update with one button click.

• Like 1

techywarrior

Very excited about an unraid plugin for MB. Will you have one plugin for unraid 5 and one for unraid 6?

Looks like I may need to replace my unraid CPU sooner then I had initially anticipated :)

Very excited about an unraid plugin for MB. Will you have one plugin for unraid 5 and one for unraid 6?

Looks like I may need to replace my unraid CPU sooner then I had initially anticipated :)

Yeah, one for each. 

@@Luke are you still hosting the binary package on dropbox?  

I'm actually testing with the DEB file, I'll likely be able to use that since my plugin resolves all teh dependencies already, and just uses the .deb binaries, so once that's hosted and -v command is set, it will be good to go.

Edited by PhAzE

well this is great news. as soon as the beta server goes stable we'll update the pre-built zip.

Ok, I tested it with the DEB, installed no problem, and very stable. Had no issues streaming or adding media.  I like the new GUI too. Also like to point out that the issue I had previously with the GUI not loading all the images seems to be resolved too.  Excellent work!

I've got the plugin checking github for the latest release version. 

ok great. after the stable release goes out you can go ahead and publish and let me know so that we can announce it.

techywarrior

hm, this may be too much of a tangent, but in unRAID the OS is on a USB stick. So how do you add a HD to be used for MBS (since it uses a lot of space when you add in transcoding and stuff)? Or do you just have a large USB stick?

• Like 1

hm, this may be too much of a tangent, but in unRAID the OS is on a USB stick. So how do you add a HD to be used for MBS (since it uses a lot of space when you add in transcoding and stuff)? Or do you just have a large USB stick?

actually only plugin fine resides in the USB, the app installs to where ever you choose in the plugin config page, and I have a place for you to set where the transcoded folder goes. Hard drives are static and the config folder can also be set to a static drive for persistency.

techywarrior

Thanks, I tried to research it independently and it was a little difficult finding the instructions. Everyone said to mount a drive but no one really said how. I'll probably wait on delving further into this until you have finished the plugin and maybe some instructions are written, or at least there is a separate forum thread that way other people can help and be helped.

yea when i posted this i forgot about what you said you wanted. i'll have the binary zip up tomorrow. 

also, if you can let me know what would be needed so that you can build from source, i might just go ahead and make those changes.

mmesnjak

Hi,

I just installed MBS on Ubuntu 14.04 headless server from a deb package downloaded from this forum.

Everything went fine and then I tried changing PROGRAMDATA folder in /etc/init/mediabrowserserver.conf.

I get ffmpeg unpack error after that even if I point the variable to the initial folder (/usr/lib/mediabrowser).

I attached the log file. Can someone help, please?

mediabrowserserver.log

The download link has been updated with the latest stable release, and a Docker build has been queued.

gsnerf

Hi,

I just installed MBS on Ubuntu 14.04 headless server from a deb package downloaded from this forum.

Everything went fine and then I tried changing PROGRAMDATA folder in /etc/init/mediabrowserserver.conf.

I get ffmpeg unpack error after that even if I point the variable to the initial folder (/usr/lib/mediabrowser).

I attached the log file. Can someone help, please?

If I recall correctly the deb package creates a mediabrowser user under which the server is then started. If you manually created the target folders there might be access restrictions.

Maybe @ can say more to this.

On the topic of getting help: please create a separate topic for each problem and don't hijack threads that have no relation to your problem. Thank you :)

Edited by gsnerf
  • Like 1

@@Luke - I have setup the plugin to do the following when installing:

- Checks your tag page and greps for the version tagged Stable (I assume as more releases come out, i'll need to filter only the latest stable and avoid beta releases)

- Checks the binary download folder for a file with that version in the name

- Downloads the zip, and installs

- Starts the program using a custom config directory set by the user in the plugin page

When accessing the plugin gui for unraid:

- Checks your tag page and greps for the version tagged Stable

- Runs the program with -v and finds the currently installed version

- Checks them together, if different, notify an update is available to the latest stable version found 

The only problem I'm running into is that the zip i download is version 3.0.5390, the latest version tagged online is 3.0.5390, but running the -v option shows installed version 3.0.5391 so the plugin assumes there is an update available to the latest online versions of 3.0.5390.

Does this program update on startup or did the version of the zip not match what the program sees as installed by accident?

the issue is we built the mono zip the day after tagging. i'll figure out how we're going to handle that. i'm curious about my other question about what you would need to build from source.

the issue is we built the mono zip the day after tagging. i'll figure out how we're going to handle that. i'm curious about my other question about what you would need to build from source.

I can build it from source on my test unraid server, but that would just make the binaries, and not a slackware package.  Mainly because I don't have a build script for slackware.  

The nice thing about slackware is it just needs the binaries and dependencies (handled by my plugin), so I can take the binaries from your zip or the .deb file and it will work fine.  If I were to make this plugin build from source, everyone who has unraid would have to build the app after each reboot if they chose to install it to the ram drive where most apps are installed to.  That also means they need packages like gcc and other compiling tools installed, which typically is not done since unraid is meant to be a very lean OS.