Linux Setup

Luke

BTW I'm not getting the error messages in Chrome anymore like I was getting on last months builds.  Looks like the new UI solved a lot of issues :)

I'm just testing this on unraid 6 now, and I think I can release the beta on the unraid forums for people to test out if you're ok with that.

As you update how you're going to store files and what types of compiled files, i'll update the plugin accordingly.  Once the .deb goes more mainstream, I may update this plugin to use those binaries, then you wouldn't need the .zip compiled anymore.

• Like 1

Cool!

I think you should create a new thread for the unRAID plugins and maybe some "how to install" tutorial?

I'll try and play with the v5 plugin today/tomorrow (but I need to first find how to setup a new HD outside the raid to use for MB)

Yea I'll make one once I get to my PC.

Just leave the app installed to /use/local/mb3server so you get a clean install each reboot but make sure you set the config directory somewhere persistent.

techywarrior

Thanks Phaze, I think I need a little help getting it setup properly the first time so I'll look for your tutorial.

Currently I installed the plg file so I have all the dependencies downloaded and I see the MBS plugin in the unRAID settings menu.

The problem I am having is mainly related to adding a non-raid drive to my server. I see the drive there but for some reason it's showing up as having 3 partitions (I pulled it from an old Windows machine but I thought it had just a single partition). Anyway, what I'd like to do, and know, is how to format it in unRAID to just a single partition (and should I just make it reiserfs?). Then I guess I need to edit the config to auto mount it? And then it should be a simple matter of telling MBS to use a directory on that drive as it's config location. (lol, the part you are actually involved in I think is straightforward, hopefully you or someone here can give me a hand with the format/repartitioning and auto mount)

techywarrior

Cool!

I think you should create a new thread for the unRAID plugins and maybe some "how to install" tutorial?

I'll try and play with the v5 plugin today/tomorrow (but I need to first find how to setup a new HD outside the raid to use for MB)

Edited by techywarrior
  • Like 1

techywarrior

I tried searching but didn't find an answer. Also tried searching on the unRAID forum with no luck. Unless I am not using the correct terms to search. I'll post on the unRAID forum and see if someone can give a run down.

hurricanehrndz

If I recall correctly the deb package creates a mediabrowser user under which the server is then started. If you manually created the target folders there might be access restrictions.

Maybe @ can say more to this.

On the topic of getting help: please create a separate topic for each problem and don't hijack threads that have no relation to your problem. Thank you :)

Nope there is no mediabrowser user yet, the new version will have this. I'm building a new one. The current deb package need to ensure that any program directories are owned by the user nobody or edit the conf file and ensure that whatever user your running as owns both the program data directory and /opt/mediabrowser.

I am trying to make a rpm for fedora is there any page that could supply me with the following info:

• Summary
  • Description
  • License
  • package name - i am using MBServer for now
  • Company/Group - MediaBrowser?
Edited by jose

Am i trying to make a rpm for fedora is there any page that could supply me with the following info:

• Summary
  • Description
  • License
  • package name - i am using MBServer for now
  • Company/Group - MediaBrowser?

Thanks!

Use the text here

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser

Always spell out MediaBrowser, instead of MB, and use a space between the words when it's just display only. Keep us posted on this!

I was able to build the rpm not all the data is correct at the moment (license, desc, etc) but as this was my first rpm i was making sure that it at least installed correctly on my computer. 

I created a rpm for the server only (no libgdiplus or mono). 

Here is a summary of what it is supposed to do:

• create a user called MediaBrowserServer under which the server is run as a systemd service.
  • also creates a group called media which MediaBrowserServer is put under,  the permissions for the program data directory are set so that any member of the group can modify its content. Also media folders that the server needs to put file in such as metadata should either allow the group write privileges or give write privileges to everyone.
  • puts the server at /opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/
  • the program data is at /var/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/
  • to start the server type: sudo systemctl start MediaBrowserServer
  • to stop the server: sudo systemctl stop MediaBrowserServer
  • to see the status: systemctl status MediaBrowserServer
  • you can also start the server as the current user with:/opt//opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/start.sh  but be sure your current user is part of the media group so that it can access the program data file.

At the moment it works with mono installed directly into /bin/ (no mono-opt for now) and libgdiplus needs to be installed in the standard lib path.  

Here are the file i have the m at a public folder in dropbpox so they should work. if not the any other place i can host them on?

RPM

SRPM

Does a  post/thread or/and a txt file exist / can it be added,  that contains:

• the server dependencies
  • the desired/default installation and program data paths
  • the user/group the service should run as, and under what name should the service run
  • the arguments that the .exe file accepts, like -programdata
  • etc.

This would help for people that do their own installation and for those that are creating the packages to have a simple standard.

Also is it possible to make/add the functionality to update and restart the server like in the windows version by having the server run a .sh script that the packager/user can customize for their system. Example: 

To restart the service in systems with systemd: the server will run ./Restart.sh

which contains the line: systemctl restart MediaBrowserServer.

Here is what i used for the last rpm i made:

Directories:

• /opt/Vendor/Product for the server files and staup script-> /opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/
  • for the binary files -> /opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/bin
  • for the program data path and also the home path of the service user -> /var/opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/

Package Tags:

• Name: MediaBrowserServer
  • Vendor: Media Browser
  • Summary: Media Browser Server is a home media server built on top of other popular open source technologies such as Service Stack, jQuery, jQuery mobile, and Mono.
  • URL: http://mediabrowser.tv/
  • License: GPL
  • %description
    Media Browser Server is a home media server built on top of other popular open source technologies such as Service Stack, jQuery, jQuery mobile, and Mono.
    It features a REST-based api with built-in documention to facilitate client development. We also have client libraries for our api to enable rapid development.
Service/ Scripts:
  • start.sh located at /opt/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowserServer/
  • MediaBrowserServer.service at /etc/systemd/system/ -> for systemd distributions calls start.sh as MediaBrowserServer user with umask 002.

Do we have an icon that complies with?: GIF or XPM format, although XPM is preferred. In either case, the background of the icon should be transparent.

Luke, for start and a stop script, have a look at my plugin under the function mb3server_start() and mb3server_stop() if you need an idea on where to start. 

This is a customized rc.d script, but it can be gutted to make a more standardized one.  Mine uses mono-service to run mb as a service and sets the PID location also.

Does a  post/thread or/and a txt file exist / can it be added,  that contains:

• the server dependencies
  • the desired/default installation and program data paths
  • the user/group the service should run as, and under what name should the service run
  • the arguments that the .exe file accepts, like -programdata

Server dependencies can now be found on the first post in this thread.

The gentoo package uses /opt/mediabrowser-server as installation path and /usr/lib/mediabrowser-server as data path. I think the debian package is similar.

User and group would be best to be very obvious so I used mediabrowser for both.

Arguments are (as far as I'm aware) programdata, ffmpeg and ffprobe (last 2 define paths to already installed ffmpeg binaries so mediabrowser doesn't try to download custom ones).

As for the start scripts: there are a few going around right now. One would be in the gentoo package, one in the debian package. Take your pick and adapt as needed :)

thefirstofthe300

As for the start scripts: there are a few going around right now. One would be in the gentoo package, one in the debian package. Take your pick and adapt as needed :)

There is also another one in my package in the Arch AUR.

Good day,

Well done guys, now MB3 server running on freebsd without any problem.

I still did not fully test it, I been freshening my memory with freebsd 10 for the past week or so, but I will do clean install on the RC2 tomorrow, then install MB3 server again and do the full test.

My best

• Like 1

Good day,

Well done guys, now MB3 server running on freebsd without any problem.

I still did not fully test it, I been freshening my memory with freebsd 10 for the past week or so, but I will do clean install on the RC2 tomorrow, then install MB3 server again and do the full test.

My best

Great stuff!

• Like 1

@@Luke Any response in relation to these:

Update/Restart for linux from webpage:

Also is it possible to make/add the functionality to update and restart the server like in the windows version by having the server run a .sh script that the packager/user can customize for their system. Example: 

To restart the service in systems with systemd: the server will run ./Restart.sh

which contains the line: systemctl restart MediaBrowserServer.

MediaBrowserServer ICON for package

Do we have an icon that complies with?: GIF or XPM format, although XPM is preferred. In either case, the background of the icon should be transparent.