Throgsoft Themes for WMC

throgmorton

Put it right next to run time anywhere it is there.

e.g.:

121 Mins (ends 5:54pm)

• Like 1

I would put it next to the clock in the bottom right. Just above it. Then use an icon before the end time to tell it apart from the main clock. Using parenthesis looks "tacked on" imo and doesnt fit the clean look your themes have.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

The two pieces of information are interrelated.  Doesn't make sense to show them in totally separate areas of the screen so that I have to look for them separately.

throgmorton

Put it right next to run time anywhere it is there.

e.g.:

121 Mins (ends 5:54pm)

Problem is some views that would be fine but others where width space is at a premium it wouldn't fit. For instance views with the meta as part of scroller items sample below (it would be very hard to squeeze it in).

574df0ac96199_endtime2.png

throgmorton

I also thought about toggling running time vs end time to use the same space, but would people want to see both running time and end time?

The two pieces of information are interrelated. Doesn't make sense to show them in totally separate areas of the screen so that I have to look for them separately.

Not to nit pick ebr. You have the skills to pay the bills.

But... when I saw your android TV app had those parenthesis with the endtime inside. I was.. surprised. It makes the client look like the roku. Dont get me wrong. The roku doesnt give alot of options. Using / and parenthsis is required. On you android TV app you can put it anywhere and use graphics and make it pretty. I dont mean your app is ugly either far from it. Its just the way endtime is done really looks roku-ish.

Edited by speechles

It doesn't have to be absolutely everywhere.  If it won't fit in a particular design then don't have it.

The detail screen is the most important place.  Then, other lists that show details as appropriate.

Not to nit pick ebr. You have the skills to pay the bills.

But... when I saw your android TV app had those parenthesis with the endtime inside. I was.. surprised. It makes the client look like the roku. Dont get me wrong. The roku doesnt give alot of options. Using / and parenthsis is required. On you android TV app you can put it anywhere and use graphics and make it pretty. I dont mean your app is ugly either far from it. Its just the way endtime is done really looks roku-ish.

I don't see parentheses as pedestrian.  They are a useful syntax for showing, well, parenthetical information :).

Note the Rotten Tomato scores in Throgs views above...

The end time is another way of expressing how long something is.  That is text-book usage of parentheses (in English anyway).

Steal kodis little timer icon it uses next to endtime. Now put it above the clock slightly greyed. Now when you go its a 121 mins movie and wonder.. hmm.. when will it finish. Then you glance at the clock to figure what an additonal 121 mins would be time wise and oh wait, above the clock it shows that info. How intuitive. :)

@@ebr Btw, those parenthesis above in throgs screenshot of rotten tomatoes would look better without them. The parenthesis attract the eye. So the first thing you see is the rating %. They are superfluous in that regard. But maybe that was throgs idea. Draw the eye to the rating %?

Edited by speechles

rms8

Just me personally.....

Have an option to toggle the end time with the running time.  That way it will show up IN PLACE of running time when one so chooses to see it.  No need to see both at the same time.  I think seeing the END TIME vs. RUNNING TIME clicks quicker in the mind....but that's just me (also speeds up when the family is scrolling through movies to pick one which will end by a certain time).

throgmorton

It doesn't have to be absolutely everywhere.  If it won't fit in a particular design then don't have it.

The detail screen is the most important place.  Then, other lists that show details as appropriate.

I don't see an issue with any of the detail views as I have plenty of width, I was under the impression most people wanted it during the higher views so they can quickly scan through movies looking when they end.

Edited by throgmorton

throgmorton

@@ebr Btw, those parenthesis above in throgs screenshot of rotten tomatoes would look better without them. The parenthesis attract the eye. So the first thing you see is the rating %. They are superfluous in that regard. But maybe that was throgs idea. Draw the eye to the rating %?

The parenthesis I can take or leave, I don't have an issue with them at all it was the default coming from core for the Critic Rating string.  But they are easily removed a comparison is shown below and to me it doesn't really make a difference:

574e0b41878c7_compare.png

Edited by throgmorton

techywarrior

Personally I don't think you need the parenthesis with the rotten tomatoes ratings since it actually makes it less obvious what is going on. It would make sense if the tomatoe filled up based on the rating and that wasn't going to be easy to understand. Then the parenthesis would explain the image. But the way it actually works is that the rating number is the primary information and the image is just an indicator of good/bad (obviously you know how that works, but this just helps to make my point even better about parenthesis) :)

Personally I don't think you need the parenthesis with the rotten tomatoes ratings since it actually makes it less obvious what is going on. It would make sense if the tomatoe filled up based on the rating and that wasn't going to be easy to understand. Then the parenthesis would explain the image. But the way it actually works is that the rating number is the primary information and the image is just an indicator of good/bad (obviously you know how that works, but this just helps to make my point even better about parenthesis) :)

Also in accounting, numbers in parentheses mean negative values. The (59%) makes it look to some like -59%. Any accountants agree?

Edited by speechles

throgmorton

The reason I need at least to have the icon as having just the rating would be confusing vs. the star rating.  Now one could make the argument that its cleaner without the parenthesis so I may end up removing them, but I don't think having them makes it look ugly or detract from the overall look.

throgmorton

Just me personally.....

Have an option to toggle the end time with the running time.  That way it will show up IN PLACE of running time when one so chooses to see it.  No need to see both at the same time.  I think seeing the END TIME vs. RUNNING TIME clicks quicker in the mind....but that's just me (also speeds up when the family is scrolling through movies to pick one which will end by a certain time).

I think I'm leaning towards this... So have a toggle for user preference, this will allow people to scan in the views quickly based on end time.  But like @@ebr had mentioned I can have both in the details screen as I have plenty of extra space on those views.

techywarrior

The reason I need at least to have the icon as having just the rating would be confusing vs. the star rating.  Now one could make the argument that its cleaner without the parenthesis so I may end up removing them, but I don't think having them makes it look ugly or detract from the overall look.

Yea, totally not saying the icon shouldn't be there. Was just saying that having parenthesis around the number make it seem like it is an explanation of the icon but it's really not. Just icon and then the number/percent after it looks better then having the parenthesis.

Was just saying that having parenthesis around the number make it seem like it is an explanation of the icon but it's really not. Just icon and then the number/percent after it looks better then having the parenthesis.

Actually, it is an explanation of the icon (which I think is why parens are used here).  Two different ways of expressing the same information.  The number is more detailed, but it is the same information :).

But, I can take it or leave it in that context as well.  Where it is useful is in apps that maybe cannot show a clear separator from other info so the parens allow you to tie the information to the icon.

techywarrior

ebr, I'd agree with you if the icon changed based on the percentage (other then changing to a different icon at 50%). Since there is no difference to the icon for any value in the range 0-49 and 50-100 I don't really think the percentage is additional explenation but rather required.

Although I think we are getting really off topic :)

throgmorton

So I've implemented a test case and seems to work a sample of what it may look like:

574f1ba791609_endtimeimplement.png

• Like 1

That looks nice, although I can't really say it is immediately obvious what it is.

throgmorton

That looks nice, although I can't really say it is immediately obvious what it is.

Icon is open to change I just wanted something in there for now, so I can just test out the logic.

techywarrior

Yup, I agree with ebr. It looks nice but without already knowing what you were doing it wasn't obvious what the time there meant. Not sure the icon is the problem. Any chance of widening that right section a little to put the end time next to the run time? I think that would make it more obvious but not sure how feasible that is. And then there is the fact you said not all of the views work well with having the extra data anyways...

throgmorton

Yup, I agree with ebr. It looks nice but without already knowing what you were doing it wasn't obvious what the time there meant. Not sure the icon is the problem. Any chance of widening that right section a little to put the end time next to the run time? I think that would make it more obvious but not sure how feasible that is. And then there is the fact you said not all of the views work well with having the extra data anyways...

Possibly but the user is actually turning on the option as its default off, so it should clue him/her in as to what it means.  Now I still open to how to display it maybe a better icon but I want to keep the size the same or close to run time so I can toggle them.

I have upload an updated Destiny theme which has it implemented (only Destiny Theme Views), so you guys can try it, but the icon currently used is the same as from Kodi so it maybe more obvious to some users.

Why don't you just go to the rotten tomatoes website and follow their display guidelines. They've already gone through the work of making these decisions.