Live TV / Android TV

Spaceboy

CBers

I meant watching "in progress" recordings.

That's via the DVBLINK service?

pünktchen

just taken a quick look at some of the dvblink api documentation and it seems to me that a number of the issues may be due to the fact that we are encouraged to use an indirect transport stream over http rather than a direct transport stream. there are many more switches and options required for an indirect stream whereas the direct stream just plays a direct stream, no options applied.

@@pünktchen is there any chance of you taking a look at the dvblink plugin? i have a spare licence...

No sorry, the plugin code isn't public available and i'm not sure @@t.andre has no objections if others touch it. I also think he's a far more experienced coder than me.

Btw. from the plugin description there should be direct http streaming available already?!

Edited by pünktchen

Spaceboy

No sorry, the plugin code isn't public available and i'm not sure @@t.andre has no objections if others touch it. I also think he's a far more experienced coder than me.

Btw. from the plugin description there should be direct http streaming available already?!

yeah i don't think t.andre would agree to that, he already declined someone's offer for help and said he wanted to keep it closed source. no, i more meant starting again, i'm not sure he has any interest in it anymore, bugs and feature requests have been unanswered for some time. he's around though.

direct streaming is available but is not recommended:

576ff06c75318_Capture.jpg

the option has been there for a long time but we only got an explanation of what it meant recently

Spaceboy

I meant watching "in progress" recordings.

That's via the DVBLINK service?

it is via the dvblink service.

• Like 1

pünktchen

yeah i don't think t.andre would agree to that, he already declined someone's offer for help and said he wanted to keep it closed source. no, i more meant starting again, i'm not sure he has any interest in it anymore, bugs and feature requests have been unanswered for some time. he's around though.

Maintaining a third tv plugin would be too much for me :wacko:

Spaceboy

well,,,, if you're ever feeling bored ;)

i'm actually trying the direct stream with all options off in the dvblink plugin and things seem pretty good. direct play through vlc, smooth as butter even using my laptop as the server and connecting to both shield and dvblink by wifi! i will laugh if it turns out to be the duff options in the plugin that have caused this. i questioned this at first but got no response from dev's

Spaceboy

well its definitely better in some respects using the direct stream and no options in the plugin but in others its the same because of the same shortcomings in the app

with vlc on and direct audio you get quick video, full audio but hd tv is jerky as other uk users are reporting. SD live is good. recorded tv doesnt start though so the same aac_latm audio problems

with vlc off and direct audio on you get no stream starting with all live tv, recorded tv still tries to use vcl and can't start for the same reasons above. so nothing works.

and with transcoding on you get video and full audio in live tv, but still no recorded tv.

so better in that streams start quicker. not a great improvement

Spaceboy

also just seen that dvblink have properly released their theatre app and yu can now get full hd with pass through audio with no judder on what i assume is the internal player. so it is possible! i'll be using this until the improvements come through on emby tv

• Like 1

Spaceboy

I really don't know.  I have been trying very hard to get your setup to work for you but something about it appears unique as no one else appears to have these problems and I cannot reproduce them either.

I'm afraid I'm at the point where I have to just say let it transcode and enjoy the show :).

hi @@ebr, is there any chance of you taking a look at this? you were very quick to suggest letting it transcode but less so once i pointed out it was supposed to be transcoding, but not.

essentially all we want to know is why we cannot play back recorded tv, why the app always tries to play it through vlc and fails. seems that the embytv problem will be fixed by you only using mp4 not mkv to retain original audio but this will still need looking at separately.

There have been so many permutations of this now that I am not sure exactly where we are but I thought that the new handling of recordings by the server was the solution to this.  Have you tried with a new recording created by the beta server?

• 2 weeks later...
t.andre

Hello,

Like I say in DVBLink post, I had to be away for personal reasons .

Sorry for the delay. 

I'm back and I'm trying to figure out what parameter can cause a problem with the probing for livetv and recordings.

I will publish soon a new version with dvblink 6 support.

Cheers.

t.andre

Hi,

I have published version 1.2.0 beta.

Now we can see for the transcoding issue.

but I will need some help from you.

Cheers.

• 4 months later...

The latest beta version of the Emby app offers improved playback, refresh rate switching, and all the HD Audio pass-through you need. Check out the beta thread for more details:

We think you'll enjoy the next update to the stable channel. Thanks !

Jdiesel

Is there any update on this? I can't seem to get LiveTV to direct play on my Shield TV when I am playing, what I believe, should be a supported video/audio format. Is the Android TV app able to direct play videos in a .ts container directly?

Yes, I get direct play from Live TV channels that have a 5.1 DD audio track.  Interestingly, the Google player chokes on a 5.0 DD audio track and those end up transcoding.

What is the source of your Live TV?  Internal or using an external service?  Can you send a log from the app when you play a channel?

Jdiesel

Strangely enough after switching to the latest beta server .248 live TV is no longer playing at all. I just sent a log file a few minutes ago, under the user "Jeff".

Edited by Jdiesel

Jdiesel

Enabling VLC for live TV playback works. Still transcoding but works. I send another log with VLC enabled, same username "Jeff".

You never answered what your source of Live TV is...?

It's m3u. I'll add you to the PM with his logs.

Jdiesel

Live TV playback of x264 in a .ts container is now working using the internal player (use VLC for live TV disabled) in beta version 1.3.4g. Still transcoding though.