Live TV / Android TV

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

The audio delay, I think is a problem with VLC and these live streams.  Switching to the internal player for them will probably solve that but may come with other trade-offs.

I find the internal player works very well with most Live TV however, there just isn't a perfect answer at this point I'm afraid.  Neither player does everything we want all of the time.

i think you are probably right. i tried the vlc app but it crashes whenever i try to access the network. the dvblink theatre app crashes whenever you try and set hdmi audio passthrough. you can change audio streams and all subs work however.

we've been round in circles so many time i can't remember what the issue was with the internal player previously, i think it was starting with the wrong stream and was not changeable.

so i disabled vlc, audio set to direct and direct stream live tv. hd tv shows direct/i but the video doesnt start. sd live tv starts and plays direct/i but it has the NAR audio track and cannot be changed. some sd channels start with the correct audio streams. no recorded tv plays though. the app tries to play it all direct/v despite the option being off and all i get is a spinning wheel.

if i also disable direct stream live tv then video starts its all played trans/i but the correct audio stream is used. some sd live tv is in an incorrect aspect ratio and is narrower than 4:3 as horizontal stretch doesnt fill the screen. i also believe the original stream is in 16:9. no recorded tv plays though. the app tries to play it all direct/v despite the option being off and all i get is a spinning wheel.

so do you think we can fix the problems with using the internal player without transcoding?

Spaceboy

trying to find something that works...

if i disable direct play of live tv then live tv works fine for hd and sd, recorded tv plays back if its in hd but any sd recorded tv attempts to play direct to the vlc player and does not start. why would this be? these would be dvbs streams in a ts format with dual audio channels

Edited by Spaceboy

I really don't know.  I have been trying very hard to get your setup to work for you but something about it appears unique as no one else appears to have these problems and I cannot reproduce them either.

I'm afraid I'm at the point where I have to just say let it transcode and enjoy the show :).

Spaceboy

I really don't know. I have been trying very hard to get your setup to work for you but something about it appears unique as no one else appears to have these problems and I cannot reproduce them either.

I'm afraid I'm at the point where I have to just say let it transcode and enjoy the show :).

Sorry, you must have misread. I said this is happening with transcoding on.

Everything from my Emby TV to ALL my devices transcodes...no matter way I do....even to decides that should not transcode.....it's a bug bear because using Plex (even with the NextPVR channel) I do not get transcoding to many of the same devices that Emby insists on trancoding to.

It's really frustrating and would be an area I personally would help fund, as in like a one off extra group donation, if Luke needed additional resources....

Everything from my Emby TV to ALL my devices transcodes...no matter way I do....even to decides that should not transcode.....it's a bug bear because using Plex (even with the NextPVR channel) I do not get transcoding to many of the same devices that Emby insists on trancoding to.

It's really frustrating and would be an area I personally would help fund, as in like a one off extra group donation, if Luke needed additional resources....

The best way to find out why transcoding is occurring is to see the section titled "Why Is My Media Transcoding?" in our transcoding wiki:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Transcoding

After that if you're still unsure, then see the section "My Files Shouldn't Be Transcoding. How Do I Report This?".

Does it all play back properly?

Yes, actually plays but takes 6-7 seconds to start. Also seems to be some interlace issues and maybe a few lost frames. Using the same HDHomeRun's via Kodi/NextPVR and everything is sweet.

However, I read through the 7 pages in this thread and found that there is a beta firmware imbedded in the PVR software from HDHomeRun so I downloaded and installed this (Firmware: 20160617atest1)...all of a sudden I get the Direct V response in EmbyTV, which is great and also a 2 second start...again great.

However, 2 issues remain...interlacing and what feels like some lost frames (everything is running on Ethernet just to settle that off as a possible issue) and sound, seems sound isn't getting a "direct pass through" as I am loosing 5.1 on channels I know are outputting in 5.1 (again works in Kodi).

Thanks for any help that anyone can offer...

mini__me

A little late to the party on this one, but with my FireTV Gen1 I get judders through my UK HDHomeRun when playing live HD channels, they do Direct Play but as I say they are jerky and stuttery.

I think I have reported this previously but as was mainly watching recordings through it, and as per this thread they transcode, the playback of them is perfect. With the Euro's on at the moment the lad has been trying to watch them through Emby, but with it jerking I've had to tell him to use Kodi instead.

Could the jerkiness be related to everything else that's being discussed in this thread here, and the audio?

The juddering is frame-rate related and I think you guys across the pond have a worse time with it due to your 25hz content.  The Google player seems to do a pretty terrible job with this so the next release of the app will try to prefer VLC in more instances.

Spaceboy

Sorry, you must have misread. I said this is happening with transcoding on.

hi ebr, no response to this? i don't know if you can't keep track of this or what, but the reason we are trying vlc is because the internal player does not work either. And the reason that i am trying this rather than embytv is that Embytv does not work either.

so far none of the options you have served up works for all areas of uk live tv whether its the google player or vlc or embytv or dvblink. the problem is not unique to me, there are two senior forum members posting about the same issue and there are multiple threads around the forum on similar issues. i cant understand the reasoning for being so closed in the approach to fixing these. although not a programmer i would suggest its likely that these are linked.

As i have said i don't mind which of the setups i use but i'd really like to able to watch live and recorded tv on my shield, ideally direct and ideally with the original DD audio. beyond that i am not interested whether its the internal player or vlc, transcoding or not, but none of them work for all. its at this point where i can see why kodi have been so successful, they have just built a player than can be ported to any OS and you can consistently throw any file at it and it will play back directly

so why don't you choose a set up to focus on and try and get that working? i presume you'd prefer to get the native solution working and i am happy with that but instead of luke responding to the one post on why a particular file was transcoding (again neatly side stepping the real question) perhaps you could provide some assistance with the actual problem? http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/35338-aac-latm-audio/page-5&do=findComment&comment=338275

dvblink has developed nicely recently that makes it much more compatible with the idea of spitting out recordings that emby could consume through auto organise, but in the long term i would still like to see external services supported better by emby, i'm going to see what i can do for dvblink.

CBers

@@Spaceboy - I've started testing the HDHomeRun DVR, as that integrates into Kodi as well.

As it uses the same folder as Emby Live TV, Emby sees the recordings and fetches the metadata, although most of the time it is wrong.

The problem I'm having with Emby Live TV is that the picture breaks up or freezes on live HD channels, whereas the HDHomeRun DVR doesn't.

Both Emby server and HDHomeRun DVR run on the same PC.

Spaceboy

hey @@CBers, yeah i guess i have dvblink running that similar role to which you are now using the hdhomerun dvr. dvblink is also perfectly compatible with kodi, i cant think of one single gap. it gives all the functionality of wmc. but its kodi and you miss out on a lot of the native emby functionality.

i'm really just trying to highlight the fact that there are a number of issues with the ATV app itself and if those got some attention i think we'd see improvement for external services as a knock on

Edited by Spaceboy

CBers

I don't use Kodi that often, as I prefer the ATV app and with the latest beta release (.12), it's much better apart from the Live TV aspect I mentioned.

Live TV is not the be all and end all for me, as I have VirginMedia, so I can record what I need on the TiVo box(es).

It would be nice to get Emby Live TV to work better with the HDHomeRun devices, in the same way as the HDHomeRun DVR does.

Perhaps it's the stream the server creates and Emby Live TV needs to be a separate service/plugin.

Spaceboy

Using embytv I have to use Kodi to watch in progress recordings, which works perfectly. I also have to use Kodi to watch any recorded tv in HD because Emby doesn't handle the AAC latm audio. It's also very frustrating seeing live tv streams starting immediately in Kodi and they take 10+ seconds in Emby. You then start noticing how much better the picture is in Kodi, because it doesn't need to transcode. I can fast forward and rewind live tv, can't do that in Emby either.

Also because embytv has to take every recording into the library and scan it before it's available it's actually quite slow at making recordings available to watch. Whereas with dvblink / Kodi because it knows it can just play the recording direct it doesn't need to bother with all this probing, it just plays

Edited by Spaceboy

pünktchen

Perhaps it's the stream the server creates and Emby Live TV needs to be a separate service/plugin.

It was a seperate plugin in the beginning and wish it would still be, because now as core function the chances are high there's something developed for it, the external plugins never can advance of or it will break their functionallity.

CBers

@@Spaceboy - you can watch Emby Live TV "in progress" recordings on Kodi?

I wasn't aware that was possible. I thought you had to wait until it was finished for it to appear in the recordings library to watch it.

How do you configure it in Kodi?

pünktchen

It's also very frustrating seeing live tv streams starting immediately in Kodi and they take 10+ seconds in Emby.

Beside the transcoding/remuxing that ofcourse needs time, it's mostly all those prechecking mechanism if an app can direct play that is time consuming. Kodi just plays it or not! It is requested really a lot here in the forum to give the users the choice if their device needs transcoding or not (especially Theater that with LAV filters could direct play anything) but the devs are resistent to this.

Spaceboy

@@Spaceboy - you can watch Emby Live TV "in progress" recordings on Kodi?

I wasn't aware that was possible. I thought you had to wait until it was finished for it to appear in the recordings library to watch it.

How do you configure it in Kodi?

it just works, always has for years. i don't know if dvblink has some special functionality that other kodi live tv plugins don't? dvblink has always allowed play back on in progress recordings

Spaceboy

just taken a quick look at some of the dvblink api documentation and it seems to me that a number of the issues may be due to the fact that we are encouraged to use an indirect transport stream over http rather than a direct transport stream. there are many more switches and options required for an indirect stream whereas the direct stream just plays a direct stream, no options applied.

@@pünktchen is there any chance of you taking a look at the dvblink plugin? i have a spare licence...

CBers

it just works, always has for years. i don't know if dvblink has some special functionality that other kodi live tv plugins don't? dvblink has always allowed play back on in progress recordings

OK, so it's not Emby Live TV recordings, it's the DVBLINK recordings that you can watch whilst still recording.

Spaceboy

No, I have Emby tv and dvblink running in parallel, Etv is less functional than dvblink so no sense in using it outside of Emby!