Live TV / Android TV

Spaceboy

Spaceboy

yeah, i was just about to post that! its direct playing using vlc

Spaceboy

but recorded tv is still transcoding on the internal player. can we have vlc for that too? what do you think could be causing the stuttering on that one channel? its bbc 2 HD, nothing special. bbc1 HD is almost double the bit rate and is smooth

Post the transcode log.  It is probably trying to play the subtitle.

Did it actually play?  That doesn't look like a complete transcode log.

Looks like it is transcoding because it can't determine that the audio will be the default selected by the player though...

Cobra

I am so disappointed with the nVidia Shield TV now with the recent updates they have done to it.....

I was very happy with the devices until Shield 3.1 update came down, this was actually after the initial Android 6.0 update. It was working perfectly for live TV without transcoding live tv. It would direct play from an HD homerun prime cablecard tuner with no problems, channel changes were quick and I was happy with the overall system.

My system is identical to Pancho's who has noticed the same thing with transcoding (shield TV, unraid with emby running in a docker, hd homerun prime, Comcast provider)

Now due to these changes it is making me want to consider an alternative front end hardware solution. Longterm I am not happy with the 8 seconds of transcoding that is necessary to tune a live channel. (this is with an i7-4790k cpu on the server)

I know this is not a problem with emby client directly as I have noticed live channels app also have the same delay. I would like to still direct play live TV, does anyone know of a solution that can still do this with HD Homerun tuners? It feels like it is no longer possible unless maybe htpc with kodi/vlc.

I still get direct play from my HDHR just fine on the Shield.  It is only an OTA version though.  Perhaps that is the difference.

CBers

I still get direct play from my HDHR just fine on the Shield. It is only an OTA version though. Perhaps that is the difference.

Slightly OT, but which HDHR do you have Eric?

I'm thinking of getting one myself.

I think it is the Connect...?  It was the cheaper one with only an antenna input and no on-board transcoding.

• Like 1

Ooh @@Cobra I just remembered.  Be sure you update the firmware on your HDHR.  Search out here...

• Like 1

Cobra

Ooh @@Cobra I just remembered.  Be sure you update the firmware on your HDHR.  Search out here...

Thanks, this was mentioned before and I have applied the firmware update but it does not make a difference. I would like to hear from someone with an hdhomerun prime that can direct play live tv still. I am running firmware 20160328atest2 

I lost the functionality after I applied the latest android update, Shield TV 3.1, this was an update after the initial android 6.0 came down.

Thanks @@ebr but it may have something to do with cablecard vs OTA. I think the hardware you have also has a hardware h.264 encoder, not sure if that is making the difference here or not. Edit: sorry, my mistake, the "Extend" is the one with the encoder onboard, not the connect.

by the way.....thanks for the delete feature in the app.....could not be happier with that  ;)

Edited by Cobra

Cobra

Just wanted to report the latest beta of android tv app for shield allows me to direct stream from hd homerun prime once again.

• 2 weeks later...
Spaceboy

Ok just tried 1.1.91g and things are much better for live tv. All channels play direct, but I'm still getting the wrong audio track and no ability to change. Recordings from the same channels transcode though and the higher bit rate channels often fail. Why is recorded tv transcoding when live is direct?

Ok just tried 1.1.91g and things are much better for live tv. All channels play direct, but I'm still getting the wrong audio track and no ability to change. Recordings from the same channels transcode though and the higher bit rate channels often fail. Why is recorded tv transcoding when live is direct?

Hi, check out our wiki on transcoding:

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Wiki/wiki/Transcoding

Check out the bottom section - Why Is My File Transcoding?

My guess would be due to the audio or subtitle tracks that we aren't able to access properly when playing live.

pünktchen

The ability to change the audio track was never working for direct playing live tv streams in the Android TV app.

But it's okay in the Android Mobile app as long as i remember! @@ebr you should really ask @@Luke for help here.

Spaceboy

so there's no emby media info because this is live tv but a screenshot from mediainfo is on the prior page. i played recorded tv programs from bbc1 and 2 and both didn't make it past the first frame. i watched both programs earlier in theater. transcode and server logs attached 

@punktchen is right though, there has always been something not quite right with how the android tv app handles audio and sub selection in live tv.

What are those logs from?  The playback attempt on this app or the ones on Theater?  Are they from playing a recorded item (because they are going to dvblink for whatever the item is)?

Spaceboy

sorry i started testing at about 23.59:50 so i guess the android use rolled into the following day.i wasn't sure which to send, must have chosen the wrong one...

try these 

and yes dvblink is the backend

Edited by Spaceboy

I'm going to need Luke's help interpreting those transcode logs because I just see lots of errors from fmpeg trying to analyze the stream.  That isn't always a problem but I see no actual playback occurring.

Also, can you please send me a log from the app after starting a live TV stream that has multiple audio tracks and/or sub tracks.  Just let it get going and then back out and send the log.  Thx.

Spaceboy

one of the recorded tv items played for a good while, i backed out to end it. other programs from the same channel end immediately though. maybe the one that starts transcode-f081....

app logs sent, user mark

And there is no button for either audio selection or sub selection on the OSD when you play that Live TV stream...?