FrontView+ [for Windows]iMon replacement, NowPlaying 2nd Screen

GlennNZ

jjstecchino

Hello Glenn, having a problem with emby remote. I think it is related to the server component. It was working perfectly before, then as I continued updating emby server versions, it wouldn't work with certain updated now it doesn't work anymore.

It seems the remote connects to the Frontview API plugin in emby but cant pull data. I deleted and recreated the remote, it verifies ok, when I save, the remote appears to be created but the screen where I enter the remote details does not go away on its own, it just hangs there and I have to hit cancel. The remote is created but doesn't work.

I see a 500 internal error in the log as frontview tries to contact the server plugin.

I am attaching the logFrontView+.log

GlennNZ

Hello Glenn, having a problem with emby remote. I think it is related to the server component. It was working perfectly before, then as I continued updating emby server versions, it wouldn't work with certain updated now it doesn't work anymore.

It seems the remote connects to the Frontview API plugin in emby but cant pull data. I deleted and recreated the remote, it verifies ok, when I save, the remote appears to be created but the screen where I enter the remote details does not go away on its own, it just hangs there and I have to hit cancel. The remote is created but doesn't work.

I see a 500 internal error in the log as frontview tries to contact the server plugin.

I am attaching the logattachicon.gifFrontView+.log

Hi

Have been away - literally just back and major catch-up on a number of fronts.

Thanks for the log - doesn’t seem to find the playing client which is likely then causing the down-stream issues.

I’ll have a look when can.

Glenn

GlennNZ

Hi

Have been away - literally just back and major catch-up on a number of fronts.

Thanks for the log - doesn’t seem to find the playing client which is likely then causing the down-stream issues.

I’ll have a look when can.

Glenn

Sooner look than I anticipated.

It was part and parcel of ongoing Emby Server End Changes heading towards .netcore only support.  I have dealt with a couple of these already with new plugin updates - which probably went unnoticed as Emby should automatically update the plugin.  The issue was at the server plugin end - I have updated the FrontView API+ Plugin to 1.0.0.56 and it is in library.  

Must admit haven't completely tested - but removes issue and seems back to normal.

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

jjstecchino

Glenn, thank you very much. Works great.

It is a little thing but you may want to look at it when you have time, I think it may be a result of the per screen DPI changes.

When you click on the remote and the list of remotes appear (dark gray background, logo for the remote type (Emby etc.)) some of the info in that widget is cut off. May need scaling/font adjustment

GlennNZ

Glenn, thank you very much. Works great.

It is a little thing but you may want to look at it when you have time, I think it may be a result of the per screen DPI changes.

When you click on the remote and the list of remotes appear (dark gray background, logo for the remote type (Emby etc.)) some of the info in that widget is cut off. May need scaling/font adjustment

Thanks. Ends up that way if you prefer big scaling factors on other screens. Haven’t reset remote screen to smaller factors (like settings screen) but can look at doing so.

If you leave scaling at default of 1 - all looks good. Ideally setup everything and then alter scaling last.

Glenn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...
jjstecchino

Hello Glenn, sorry to bother you. Something may have changed in Emby server recently. The frontview plugin seems unable to update/refresh the device list. As I refresh it I can still see all the old devices but not new one.

I tried to delete all known devices from emby server and refresh the list on the frontview plugin but it still presents the old one. Any suggestion?

jjstecchino

I tried to reinstall the plugin as well but the same old list seems to be stuck there. I see the new device on the device list in emby server

Edited by jjstecchino

GlennNZ

I tried to reinstall the plugin as well but the same old list seems to be stuck there. I see the new device on the device list in emby server

Hi

Perhaps there has been some changes - don't think I am completely uptodate with my server install and will check

The device list has always been a bit temperamental though!

To delete the odd devices need to delete the devices in the plugin config file - saved in the server/config folder (sorry away from computer)

New devices are then added whenever any new devices connect to Emby e.g a new Chrome web, a new browser or a new device/ipad/iphone.

Would delete all the devices from the config file (leave the rest)

And then connect with a different device/web-browser and hopefully will re-populate

jjstecchino

Thanks for your prompt answer. I just tried that but no joy. 

I assume the file to edit is MediaBrowser.Plugins.FrontView.xml or is there another place?

I initially renamed this file, reinstalled the plugin and restarted emby server but it was not recreated, so I dont know....

With multiple emby updates there seems to be a lot of junk left behind after things change and get moved somewhere else....

Thanks again for looking at this

GlennNZ

Thanks for your prompt answer. I just tried that but no joy. 

I assume the file to edit is MediaBrowser.Plugins.FrontView.xml or is there another place?

I initially renamed this file, reinstalled the plugin and restarted emby server but it was not recreated, so I dont know....

With multiple emby updates there seems to be a lot of junk left behind after things change and get moved somewhere else....

Thanks again for looking at this

File is

%appdata%\Roaming\Emby-Server\plugins\configurations\MediaBrowser.Plugins.FrontView.xml

Would delete all entries between <DevicesRunning> and </DevicesRunning>

and then restart Emby Server.

Plugin should list no devices would try to select something.

Then connect to Emby with a different device; web; ios; something odd - should kick off an update of all devices.

G

jjstecchino

Followed directions, deleted all entries between <DeviceRunning> and its closure tag, restarted Emby, plugin device list remained empty. Selected blank line and saved. Connected from a new device (iPhone, never connected before), list remains empty before and after I tried to refresh.

MediaBrowser.Plugins.FrontView.xml was changed by plugin to this:

(the <DeviceRunning> tags I left in place were removed by the plugin and the dummy device was added.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<PluginConfiguration xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<FrontViewUserName>FrontView</FrontViewUserName>

<Pin>0000</Pin>

<TimeShift>false</TimeShift>

<FrontViewConfigID>9DA94EFB-EFF0-4144-9A18-46B046C450C6</FrontViewConfigID>

<EnableDebugLogging>false</EnableDebugLogging>

<SelectedDeviceId>Dummy</SelectedDeviceId>

</PluginConfiguration> 

Is there a log for the plugin?

Emby server is the latest beta (Version 3.3.1.2 beta)

Edited by jjstecchino

GlennNZ

Followed directions, deleted all entries between <DeviceRunning> and its closure tag, restarted Emby, plugin device list remained empty. Selected blank line and saved. Connected from a new device (iPhone, never connected before), list remains empty before and after I tried to refresh.

(the <DeviceRunning> tags I left in place were removed by the plugin and the dummy device was added.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

-<PluginConfiguration xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">

<Pin>0000</Pin>

</PluginConfiguration> 

Log is the Emby Server Lo

But can confirm that Emby 3.3.1.0 has broken the Plugin.  And this may be part of that issue I suspect.

Trying to fix but VIsual Studio has locked me out with a script error and can't start it to fix/update.  Seems like is a known VS2017 issue and I suspect is a firewall issue blocking microsoft.  Fix try to fix if ever get past this issue; current after 2 hours it is repairing package 21 of 283.

Glenn

GlennNZ

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<Pin>0000</Pin>

</PluginConfiguration> 

OK - Sorted out my development issues.

Emby Server has deleted the never used NowViewing Item (was always hoping that it might be filled/used)  This was crashing the plugin.  They also deleted the ClientID information.  I have replaced this with Username or equivalent - hopefully still possible to pick the right device.

Updated plugin to version 2.0.0.35 in plugin store now.  Update if doesn't do so automatically and try again.

Glenn

jjstecchino

Thank you Glenn, the update solved the problem. It seems to be a cat and mouse race with Emby server. Emby should be mature enough to have a stable api. It seems that every few months the API changes and plugins break down. Not just yours.

Anyway thank you again

• 2 months later...
jjstecchino

Hello Glenn, hope everything is well with you. It seems the new Emby 3.4.0.3 has broken the frontview+ plugin again.

When watching a movie the frontview client goes to the remote screen, logs show:

Frontview+Api - EMBYAPI: Emby PLAYER REMOTE:  Returning as no !Player Connected.

The proper client and user are set on the server plugin.

Tried to delete and recreate the remote on the client, it does verify ok, but when click add, the modal form does not disappear.

WHen you have time can you take a look at it?

Thanks

GlennNZ

Hello Glenn, hope everything is well with you. It seems the new Emby 3.4.0.3 has broken the frontview+ plugin again.

When watching a movie the frontview client goes to the remote screen, logs show:

Frontview+Api - EMBYAPI: Emby PLAYER REMOTE: Returning as no !Player Connected.

The proper client and user are set on the server plugin.

Tried to delete and recreate the remote on the client, it does verify ok, but when click add, the modal form does not disappear.

WHen you have time can you take a look at it?

Thanks

Having a look now. Updating Server.. took a while as auto-updated borked.

3.4.1.0 seems to still be functioning correctly... haven’t fully tested playback quite yet... but go up to latest 3.4.1.0 and check again.  Tested more completely - seems quite slow but FV does return the correct info - so should all be working.  Pulling the url is very slow though, may be my computer but... may be some other change.

FV Emby plug-in creates a URL hook within Emby server - it’s is this that fails with the constant server code changes.

If you go to

http://localhost:8096/Frontview/

On your emby server - or IP rather than localhost - should get a Json of nowplaying info or a error message if server update broke something.

(the server logs then point out the change)

This API endpoint is what the plugin creates and then FrontView the program accesses to get information about that playing client.

I have update plugin packages/nuget to latest and recompiled plugin and uploaded - Emby Server - should automatically update - version 2.0.0.36. 

Still pulling the url seems slow/hangs at times other times, this may (if reproducible) be Server issue which hopefully will be resolved soon.

Have updated my server to Beta - and is another breaking change (Genre's have been removed)... sign....  have deleted 2.0.0.36 and fixed updated to 2.0.0.37 so should be okay to at least server 3.4.13...  (does seem url speed back to normal on this version)

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

jjstecchino

Having a look now. Updating Server.. took a while as auto-updated borked.

3.4.1.0 seems to still be functioning correctly... haven’t fully tested playback quite yet... but go up to latest 3.4.1.0 and check again.  Tested more completely - seems quite slow but FV does return the correct info - so should all be working.  Pulling the url is very slow though, may be my computer but... may be some other change.

FV Emby plug-in creates a URL hook within Emby server - it’s is this that fails with the constant server code changes.

If you go to

http://localhost:8096/Frontview/

On your emby server - or IP rather than localhost - should get a Json of nowplaying info or a error message if server broke something.

This endpoint is what the plugin creates and then FrontView the program access to get information about that client.

I have update plugin packages/nuget to latest and recompiled plugin and uploaded - Emby Server - should automatically update - version 2.0.0.36. 

Still the url seems slow/hangs at times other times, this may (if reproducible) be Server issue which hopefully will be resolved soon.

Glenn

Hi Glenn, thank you for looking at it. The server log shows this:

2018-05-12 15:19:06.506 Error HttpServer: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 3.4.1.2
	Command line: C:\Users\Administrator.WSRV1\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll C:\Users\Administrator.WSRV1\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll C:\Users\Administrator.WSRV1\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows NT 6.2.9200.0
	64-Bit OS: True
	64-Bit Process: True
	User Interactive: True
	Processor count: 4
	Program data path: C:\Users\Administrator.WSRV1\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server
	Application directory: C:\Users\Administrator.WSRV1\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.Collections.Generic.List`1<System.String> MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.get_Genres()'.
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.FrontView.Api.YatseServerApi.GetWeatherInfo()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.Execute(Type serviceType, IRequest request, Object instance, Object requestDto, String requestName)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.Execute(HttpListenerHost appHost, Object requestDto, IRequest req)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, ILogger logger, String operationName, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IHttpRequest httpReq, String urlString, String host, String localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	System.MissingMethodException
	   at MediaBrowser.Plugins.FrontView.Api.YatseServerApi.GetWeatherInfo()
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceExecGeneral.Execute(Type serviceType, IRequest request, Object instance, Object requestDto, String requestName)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceController.Execute(HttpListenerHost appHost, Object requestDto, IRequest req)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.Services.ServiceHandler.ProcessRequestAsync(HttpListenerHost appHost, IRequest httpReq, IResponse httpRes, ILogger logger, String operationName, CancellationToken cancellationToken)
	   at Emby.Server.Implementations.HttpServer.HttpListenerHost.RequestHandler(IHttpRequest httpReq, String urlString, String host, String localPath, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

and server:8096/Frontview, confirms a problem getting Genres:

Method not found: 'System.Collections.Generic.List`1 MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.get_Genres()'.

GlennNZ

Hi Glenn, thank you for looking at it. The server log shows this:

and server:8096/Frontview, confirms a problem getting Genres:

Method not found: 'System.Collections.Generic.List`1 MediaBrowser.Controller.Entities.BaseItem.get_Genres()'.

Check my post above again - I had spotted this other breaking change after updating.

Yeah - after 3.4.1.0 - the beta's broke Genre's - fixed in 2.0.0.37 plugin - in plugin store now...

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

• 1 month later...

Hi Update Following Below

Somewhat frustrating experience - which brings back memories of first sorting out Emby Remote FV Connection.

Spent some wasted time trying to sort out focus, and move focus to electon (child of Emby.Theater) which I believe is difficult, if not impossible. Luke has confirmed on another thread that the focus should go to Emby.Theater who should pass it on to electron (that is not happening in my testing). Oh well, wasted time, gave up and moved on to Volume controls and sliders.

Then spent half the night trying to figure out why Volume Slider wasn't working - changing various json body components etc.etc.

Discover that doesn't work from within server Swagger UI - despite getting Http 204 return.

Obviously an issue with either Dev Server or ET that doesn't response to volume controls.(!)

Anyhow:

New Version 1.139

Believe both are right within FV just waiting ET to fix

Fixed layout issues if Audio Menu Hidden

Correct functioning of Mute Button on Now Playing Screen (reflects Player Mute or Otherwise)

Added Stop button to Now Playing Screens

Within Emby:

Functional Seek Bar

Functional Volume Slider/VolumeUP when ET supports such.

Correct Focus confirmed - awaiting ET fix

https://www.mediafire.com/?ediqevez6vacvkr

Glenn

@@GlennNZ

Swagger params are finally back and better then ever:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60520-34127-swagger-params/

Enjoy.

GlennNZ

@@GlennNZ

Swagger params are finally back and better then ever:

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/60520-34127-swagger-params/

Enjoy.

Thanks Luke.

With Beta 3.4.1.27 and above my plugin fails with a error:

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'System.String MediaBrowser.Model.Dto.BaseItemDto.get_Id()'.

It seems with some updates things fall off which causes breaking changes - I have been dealing with this by just deleting these now removed items.

This however applies to the _sessionManager NowPlaying Id itself - which is far harder to deal with.

Example Code:

if (session.NowPlayingItem != null)
{
foreach (var session in _sessionManager.Sessions) 
{ 
InfotoSend.ID = string.IsNullOrEmpty(session.NowPlayingItem.Id) ? "" : session.NowPlayingItem.Id; 
} 
}

session.NowPlauingItem.Id  - now fails.

I could not find any work-around, and ultimately have given up and gone back to 3.4.1.10 - hopefully this is a beta bug that is worked out...

Thanks

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

So you're saying NowPlayingItem.Id is null? or what do you mean by fails?

GlennNZ

So you're saying NowPlayingItem.Id is null? or what do you mean by fails?

The error is system.missingMethodException - the log output from Emby is in the last/above message. If I remove reference to nowPlayingItem.Id the plugin works and the error goes away.

It is not null - just fails with above error message.

Worked around by using FullNowPlayingItem.Id, but presume this will have breaking impact elsewhere.

Glenn

Edited by GlennNZ

Ok what you need to do is update to the latest beta nuget package, then recompile the plugin and it should be fine at that point. Then you can publish a plugin update with 3.4.1.27 as the min required server version.