Lost me at Premium

mhariush

b0dyr0ck2006

To be fair, Emby Theater isn't finished yet so you wouldn't likely see a standalone payment option for a little while (if at all). Otherwise people would be paying for an unfinished product rather than the current model (which is to pay for Premiere as a service, of which playback on ET forms a part).

To be fair, this is a valid point. Not one branch of theatre has actually finalised as a completed ready to ship product. As far as I am aware every version has never passed beta stage. With this in mind, do you really expect customers to be happy about paying for a beta service that isn't feature complete and bug free (as best as can be)?

Yes you have the server and the various different iterations of product but as the team like to keep mentioning, those are free. I'm sure once theatre is complete and ready to hit the shelves so to speak, users will be more than happy to pay.

Hi ebr, personally I don't like the recurring payment option. Reading this thread, it is clear that many people are interested in Emby Theater only and the current contribution options do not address these users.

I was suggesting signing up and then immediately canceling the recurring payment.  This gets you a trial of everything for 30 days.

As I mentioned before, we may have an individual option for this program but we don't yet and it isn't ready for one yet.

JeremyFr79

Cute.  And all I see on this forum is fanboyism and juvenile behavior.

A lot of work has obviously gone into Emby, it is a much more powerful product than when I last used it. Happy I gave Emby a try (last time I did it was still called MediaBrowser) but based on what I see here this is not a product I want to be using.  Back to Plex or Kodi with MySQL.  

Cute is the a-holes that always have a post count under 5 saying "I'm going to plex" etc.  F'ing trolls

• Like 1

Could have at least warned us before we downloaded and and installed.   Not very well thought out..........

I had no reason to create an account to post in this forum, it was working fine, until now.

The new Emby Theater must be taking down Github :)

Well yeah, because it was sneaky.   How many of use are rolling back to the older version or finding something different?

Jdiesel

Could have at least warned us before we downloaded and and installed. Not very well thought out..........

I had no reason to create an account to post in this forum, it was working fine, until now.

But creating an account to tell everyone you had no reason to create an account was a good reason to create an account...

Snarky comment aside, what do you feel is missing in the old version that is in the beta version?

Edited by Jdiesel

• 2 weeks later...
Schroinx

I was suggesting signing up and then immediately canceling the recurring payment.  This gets you a trial of everything for 30 days.

As I mentioned before, we may have an individual option for this program but we don't yet and it isn't ready for one yet.

Should I then also go to the bikeshop and pay to try a bike before I buy it? I don't think so.

If Emby is becoming a commercial outfit and you want that kind of money say 99 usd or a monthly subscription, then okay. Then I will have a finished product that work out of the box and top-notch support, and try-before-you-buy in return. Something for something. You cannot have your cake and eat it, and that is what your trying to do atm in my eyes. By not offering the low-one-time price point for ET, your trying to force us into the subscription or the 99 usd offer. I don't like either and don't feel the current offer warrants such a price and I have no intention of paying for trying it out. 

I don't like either of the payment options and I don't think your product and support warrant such price. I am sorry to say it, as I have been using MB for quite a while and I was looking forward to the new version of ET that we had been promised for so long. That it would cost a little is reasonable, but not 99 usd or a monthly subscription. Then I'll wait and see and evaluate my options.

I think we all understand that it is a great effort and cost something, and most of us would not mind paying something for it. But not the current offer.

I have seen this before in the htpc community, that people have done it as free open-source and then suddenly it changed and quite dramatically got all business and wanted a lot of money for whatever they where offering. Normally they did not get wide marketshare and many of them don't exist anymore. They got greedy and eventually they where marginalised or history. I think there is a lesson for Emby here, and that is that if you develop a reasonable pricing model, where pricing and what you get is balanced and you can pay for the stuff you need without having to go for it all, then you might be able to convince users, no, convince costumers to stay and to lure new in. The everything for either 99 usd or a monthly subscription may be good for the people with that kind of money and that kind of need.

To lure us normal Joes, with less money and less need, into the shop and buy something, you need another option.

So expensive and for the few or cheap and for the masses, thats your options. But the product has to match the price in quality and features. If it dosen't then there is other options out there. 

EDIT: For the fanboys. You don't win an election by preaching to the choir, but by luring new people in.

Edited by Schroinx

Schroinx

And one more thing. When this goes from free to paying, then you have to act more professional. That means communication to the now customer in due time and clearly what our plans are. I have seen no mention of this and no announcement. It came as a thief in the night. That does not inspire confidence in the team and its plans for the future and that it is trustworthy. And still we can see the repeated maybe it will be offered at a lower price point maybe it won't. Well will it or will it not? Say something I can count on. 

I cannot see a clear business model here going forward, except right now it is to lure your users into the subscription or one-time offers, and I and as it seems, a lot of other guys, like neither. are you just testing the waters or what is going on? Why is there no annoncement telling your future customers what to expect for ET and EMBY as a whole?

Buying something is not only about features and price, but also confidence. You're asking for a lot of money with a so-so product and no communication, no thought for your users. You even closed this tread down at some time. Just because they where complaining. I wonder why.

I am sorry, but that kind of behaviour does not inspire confidence nor that you listen to the userbase. If it is all about getting the users into the subscription or one-time-off fee, then I can tell you that it ain't going to happen.  

When the team proves that it is trustworthy, that it communicates clearly and in time what the plans are, and when you have a product that matches the price, then I may listen.

Deathsquirrel

Clearly you do not frequent these forums and see Luke and ebrs presence regarding support and listening to users

Hey, he demands that the sky be blue and grass better damn well be green from now on.

shaefurr

Emby theater is just one client, which the pricing for premium was around long before this. Also keep in mind its still an beta, will it have a separate price to buy when its finished? I don't know, but its been mentioned already and has been stated as a good idea. Again, its still in alpha/beta phase so im not sure why thats such a huge concern right now. I doubt its a good idea to offer up an option to buy ET right now before its finished. That would just invite users to switch to it, only to find it (not finished / lacking a feature that hasn't been added yet / buggy) which is obviously not a smart move.

And yes this thread was closed before, but not because users were simply stating their opinions. Posts like yours are talking negatively about emby as a whole (support/pricing/etc), stemming from your dis-pleasure with ET pricing.  Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but posts like that only infuriates other users. So ya, there's a lot of arguing going on here, which is probably why they closed it.

• Like 1

Vidman

It was closed because it was just the same arguments and responses over and over and seemed pointless to continue, then reopened to allow others users to vent

For those who are so unhappy with Emby's current business model and plan I believe you have 4 options switch to another media server program, continue to use the server and free apps that are available to you, purchase one of the payment options or build your own software server and apps then there won't be anything to complain about and you can enjoy watching your media.

Sent from my A1-840 using Tapatalk

Schroinx

Emby theater is just one client, which the pricing for premium was around long before this. Also keep in mind its still an beta, will it have a separate price to buy when its finished? I don't know, but its been mentioned already and has been stated as a good idea. Again, its still in alpha/beta phase so im not sure why thats such a huge concern right now. I doubt its a good idea to offer up an option to buy ET right now before its finished. That would just invite users to switch to it, only to find it (not finished / lacking a feature that hasn't been added yet / buggy) which is obviously not a smart move.

And yes this thread was closed before, but not because users were simply stating their opinions. Posts like yours are talking negatively about emby as a whole (support/pricing/etc), stemming from your dis-pleasure with ET pricing.  Don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but posts like that only infuriates other users. So ya, there's a lot of arguing going on here, which is probably why they closed it.

What is new? ET has always been in development. And you use betatesters to find problems and getting people hooked so they go out at buy the finished product. I can say that support for ET in particular, has not been as spectacular as you state in my experience. But that is okay, when it is free software and it is in development. When it becomes a business it is another story.

Yes I am dissatisfied with the all-or-nothing business model as I think you reach a lot more people with a different model as many will not want to spend 100 usd on software when there is alternatives. It almost as much as a windows license, but in maturity leaves a lot to be desired when compared to say Windows, and having a less than stellar experience with it so far, I cannot justify spending that kind of money. Sorry, but something for something. 

We're all users and customers in this tread, and potential future customers if we're treated nicely and fairly. If we're not allowed to state our opinions here, we can take it somewhere else. 

shaefurr

You can't really compare software with a team of like 20 (most of which probably have day jobs to support their families) against windows, a multi billion dollar company with 100k employees.

spootdev

You can't really compare software with a team of like 20 (most of which probably have day jobs to support their families) against windows, a multi billion dollar company with 100k employees.

Windows 10 64-bit OEM - $99.99 at Newegg atm

Emby "Premier" - $99 atm

Pretty close comparison to me.

Deathsquirrel

Windows 10 64-bit OEM - $99.99 at Newegg atm

Emby "Premier" - $99 atm

Pretty close comparison to me.

Yes and a big mac is a dollar when a freaking jet cost millions!  How about Emby premier is 99 and its direct competitor, plex pass, is 150...and Emby is pretty usable for free.

AgileHumor

I'm amazed how entitled you folks are and going to counter some of your rants.  I've been on the forum off an on over the last 10 years and paid for many versions for products and themes that have come and gone.  It's a journey with this open source model of progress.  However, I've stuck by it as t's always been the leader of Windows based HTPC...and now it's better than Plex in streaming IMHO.

The cost of even the lifetime Emby subscription of $99 is nothing compared to the price of 5 TV show seasons or 10 movies (average the $5 and new release prices).  If you don't have 5 to 10 times this amount of media invested...then $99 is free. I guess in a world where more people torrent pay $0 media...I'd understand how $99 seems like a lot.

Also, your marketing and economic novices if think a general OS and a niche HTPC. Don't like the price (compared to Windows), go find something better.  Also, the OEM price HAD NO SUPPORT and locked to the PC it's first installed on (per the license. It's illogical to compare to OEM copy of Windows sold on a billion PC's with no support or no portability..to a niche HTPC solution like Emby.

If you don't have money it's OK, but you should be happy and patient with the freemium features and more mature apps.  Your concerns are noted, but nobody really cares because you don't contribute tomaking the product better (by paying for it).  Telling people about does not entitle you to anything but a honest recommendation.  Your not owed free software just because you tell your friends.

Lastly, after you pay for it, you guaranteed nothing in terms of features or a future roadmap. The Emby team will provide reasonable support)..but it is a niche forum supported product built in a mostly open source model.  Don't like that you pay $99 and don't have a help desk and 10 year support model, go find something better (and share it with the forum so we can try it :)

spootdev

The last two posts are why this thread is hilarious.  I get flamed for pointed out the "logic" of shaefurr's post.  Yes Agile, it *IS* illogical, that was the point.  ^_^

shaefurr

The last two posts are why this thread is hilarious.  I get flamed for pointed out the "logic" of shaefurr's post.  Yes Agile, it *IS* illogical, that was the point.  ^_^

Well, purposely making a post like that isn't going to get any other reaction, this is the internet after all. :P

(aside from the obvious differences..) with every other version of previous Windows, that $99 only got you a few years before a new version came out and you had to upgrade or buy a new copy. Embys premiere is lifetime. So there is a difference even if were just talking price.

AgileHumor

The animated picture in this post is hilarious

It's not just you. All I see in this thread is 

tumblr_inline_mlh3y2JltW1qz4rgp.gif

Edited by AgileHumor

I can't believe this is still going...

LOL, I just thought I'd check in... 10 pages! I'm not gonna bother reading through them, but judging from what I've skimmed through it sounds like it's still:

"Why isn't if free?!?"

"There are lots of free options available"

"I'm a non-paying 'customer', you're losing my 'business' for asking me to pay now!"

"There are lots of free options available"

"I'm going to ignore that last comment and continue whining!"

etc,etc..

Is that still the gist of it?

• Like 3

MrWebsmith

agreed.. lose/lose opening this thread back up... im all for people to voice their concerns.. but we havent heard a new concern in a loong time.

• Like 1