Lost me at Premium

mhariush

b0dyr0ck2006

You're buying a license for the lifetime of the 3.x product AND, should this happen in the next two years, the 4.x product as well. Up to you whether or not that's worth the cost but I sure think, it is. It's also $50 less than a comparable plex pass the last time I checked.

So actually at 39.99 a year you are better off buying a yearly subscription than a 'lifetime' (2 year) sub at 99.99. I never read the toc so didn't realise that the lifetime subscription is only for the current version, or two years. Sneaky

AdrianW

I'd say it's very unlikely that they'll bump the version number up to 4 any time soon, considering it was on v2 for many years.

They'd have to release version 4 tomorrow for you to only get two years for your money - that's just not going to happen.

Edited by AdrianW

Happy2Play

Hmm, well how old is Emby? Isn't it already or almost 3 years old and who is talking about version 4?  No one that I know of.

Vidman

It sounds like you may already have Emby Premiere. A Media Browser 3 Supporter is the same thing as Emby Premiere, just renamed. Nobody was ever asked to re-purchase anything.

So actually at 39.99 a year you are better off buying a yearly subscription than a 'lifetime' (2 year) sub at 99.99. I never read the toc so didn't realise that the lifetime subscription is only for the current version, or two years. Sneaky

Lifetime Term: Lifetime shall mean the current major version of the Emby server software or twenty-four months, whichever is longer. (E.g. The Emby server software is currently at version 3.XXXX. A lifetime subscription shall be valid until Emby server software reaches version 4.XXX or twenty-four months, whichever occurs later.)

So I read this on TOS. That doesn't sound very lifetime to me. 99$ sounds like 2 year term.

Well. I was thinking about it, but I am not paying 99 for a 'lifetime' of 2 years term. Wow.

"whichever is longer" longer!!

I've been using 3.0.x for over 3 years now and we haven't even got to 3.1 yet

Edited by Vidman

Darrell262

I think it should be worded better.  Too sneaky for me. I have paid the 10$ for my android app so that will have to do at least for now

So in two years one month If the developers decide to name the next update 4.001 instead of 3.700 the lifetime subscription ends is that right?

What if in two years one month I decide not to buy another 2 year lifetime license will I be able to keep using 3.700 and be able to reinstall it if I need to.

Thanks

Vidman

That's quite a specific hypothetical situation. 3.7 would still work so long as embys servers are alive to verify the licence occasionally, and you would want to keep your backup of the installer should you wish to reinstall. Also future versions of the cilent apps could possibly become incompatible eventually.

These guys are really not all that devious, imho

It's commercial software now they need to be very specific, "There good guys, they wouldn't do that" Doesn't work anymore.

If they write a contract and give themselves a option to stop supporting a "lifetime" contract after two years, Chances are likely they will

exercise that option.

Don't take this personally, been using mb2, mb3 and now Emby and for the most part it's great but I do miss the IBN folders.

I just don't like authorization bullshit, or the business model they seem to be going to a subscription based service.

Thanks

Deathsquirrel

Some people in this thread seem to think this whole project, running for years and producing dozens or hundreds of software version releases, is an elaborate scam to get them to spend some money and then give them nothing in return.

This is ridiculous.  I've been using Emby since the MB 2 days.  Clearly this isn't going anywhere but let's set that aside.  Is the current product, as it is today, worth paying for?  If so, pay it.  If not then don't.  This isn't an early access program selling you a beta to fund ongoing development.  This is a fairly complete product under ongoing, active development.  If you don't like what you see now it's probably not going to be for you in a year either.

• Like 2

Vidman

If they write a contract and give themselves a option to stop supporting a "lifetime" contract after two years, Chances are likely they will

exercise that option.

Thanks

If you have spent any amount of time in this forum and seen the level of service and support from the core developers here i would say the chances are unlikely that will happen

If you have spent any amount of time in this forum and seen the level of service and support from the core developers here i would say the chances are unlikely that will happen

Maybe so, I've been in and out of this forum over the years mostly for setup help or trouble shooting, They have responded to questions and are probably nice guys.

That's not the point of this and twelve pages of the thread should let you know. That you are pissing off a lot of your customers many of them have been

supporting this for years. The donation model with a small cost for special features was one thing being required to pay is something else. It just leaves a bad taste in your mouth.

Before this seemed to be a community driven project and most of us probably didn't mind making a donation. When a business loses it's base most of the time its done for.

Ok enough about this

I tried Plex for the first time it's almost identical to emby. I didn't really like XBMC Kodi so

didn't bother trying plex untill now. I May setup and take a look at J.River to.

Thanks

Edited by Sat32

The difference is that Media Browser went from being a hobby project to now being our jobs, in the form of Emby. That doesn't make us bad people, it just means that our model has to change in order to support that. But there's a flip side, which is that in exchange for your small payment you get lightning fast support and really fast development, just like everyone here is enjoying. By the way, the same is true for the other software packages you're mentioning, except Kodi.

• Like 8

Vidman

Maybe so, I've been in and out of this forum over the years mostly for setup help or trouble shooting, They have responded to questions and are probably nice guys.

That's not the point of this and twelve pages of the thread should let you know. now. I

But it was the point of your post to which i was replying

Koleckai Silvestri

It's commercial software now they need to be very specific, "There good guys, they wouldn't do that" Doesn't work anymore.

exercise that option.

Don't take this personally, been using mb2, mb3 and now Emby and for the most part it's great but I do miss the IBN folders.

I just don't like authorization bullshit, or the business model they seem to be going to a subscription based service.

Thanks

Then don't buy it. Go use something else. Sheesh. If you had purchased lifetime a week ago instead of arguing over pedantry in this thread, you would have already received your money's worth. However, if you can't see the value in the software than you'll never be satisfied. I mean even at $99, a lifetime subscription costs less than it does for me to take my family of 5 to a movie at the multiplex.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri
  • Like 2

Media Browser went from being a hobby project to now being our jobs small payment you get lightning fast support and really fast development

Yes I totally understand the need to make money, eat and have roof over your head. After I checked it turns out that I am a premium member.

The way it's setup is confusing and gives the impression it will cost more money. to keep using emby.

Ok Questions for the lighting fast support

Will there be updates fixes for the WMC client, music is messed up?

When will we see skins ie coverflow for Emby Theater?

With Premium will all plug-ins be included or will there still be some that cost extra?

How long will someone like me who donated a while ago have premium features?

Yes I totally understand the need to make money, eat and have roof over your head. After I checked it turns out that I am a premium member.

The way it's setup is confusing and gives the impression it will cost more money. to keep using emby.

Ok Questions for the lighting fast support

Will there be updates fixes for the WMC client, music is messed up?

When will we see skins ie coverflow for Emby Theater?

With Premium will all plug-ins be included or will there still be some that cost extra?

I would suggest opening a topic in the Emby for WMC section of the forum. Please leave your feedback about music so that we can begin discussions on how to improve it. Emby Theater is about to launch on several additional platforms. I am hoping that will spur community skin development. As far as skins being premium, if a skin developer elects to charge for their skin, that is their decision and entirely up to them.

Thanks for the lighting fast support but you missed one question.

In other words I donated when this was MB3, when will I be required to buy a premium license?

Thanks.

I can't really predict the future sorry. Nobody is planning on taking this away from you. It is just about having future flexibility for new development that we might not be able to afford under existing licenses. If such a thing were to ever come along, then that is something that might require a new purchase. But there is nothing planned like that right now.

• Like 1

Xzener

I was a lifetime paid user for Slysoft AnyDVD software. They recently stopped development, but a new Dev team took over. My lifetime membership is nul and void with the new software. Have to buy the software again.

Am I upset? Yes.

Will I pay for the new software? Yes.

Does it make me want my money back? No.

I will be a paid subscriber of the new software "Red Fox". I will support them as long as they are around, why? Because they have a great product, and good support. Great Devs come and go, sometimes software is picked up where someone left off. That is what is great about open source software.

Hopefully this shines some light on users wanting their money back.

• Like 8

I was a lifetime paid user for Slysoft AnyDVD software. They recently stopped development, but a new Dev team took over. My lifetime membership is nul and void with the new software. Have to buy the software again.

Am I upset? Yes.

I will be a paid subscriber of the new software "Red Fox". I will support them as long as they are around, why? Because they have a great product, and good support. Great Devs come and go, sometimes software is picked up where someone left off. That is what is great about open source software.

Your previous payment didn't go to the new developer, so the new Red Fox cannot afford the development cost without payment. It's not a question of should you have to pay or not, it's a question of do you want new versions of AnyDVD or not. Because either yes you pay and they continue the project, or they don't continue it at all. 

Am I upset? Yes.

I was a lifetime anydvd owner as well and it was a great program from what I understand Slysoft was shut down then

"The former CEO signed over all rights to the code and name 'anydvd HD' rather than paying the staff the wages they were due. They have every legal right to use the code." from redfox forum.

It could be argued that with code and name they also got the contractual obligation to the lifetime owners as well.

I have DVDfab and haven't been doing much ripping so I have no plans to get anydvd right now. I'm not to upset about

this just making a point.

Edited by Sat32

• 2 weeks later...
AgileHumor

Where is the "crying baby" emoji?

I'm amazed this thread had continued.   I want to mention as a member/non developer...but happy user of Emby.  To all the complainers:

• NOBODY CARES IF YOU GO USE PLEX. YOU WON'T BE MISSED BECAUSE YOU DON"T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING (TESTING SOFTWARE FOR FREE...AND YOUR BENEFIT/USE...IS NOT A CONTRIBUTION)
  • NO, YOU WON'T GET YOU WANT FOR FREE AFTER ALL. 
  • I DONT'T CARE IF LUKE OR ANY OTHER DEVLOPER NOTORIZED A DOCUMENT SAYING IT WAS EMBY FREE FOREVER...THAT WAS YESTERDAY AND PLANS CHANGE. DEAL WITH THE NEW REALITY. 

Now I think we need an "entitled millennial" emoji...

• Like 4

dimitrik

Like, I think this would be a lot simpler if you would just rebrand the new Emby Theater to something else.

Right now too many people think you're taking something away from them and from a business perspective it's a very muddled approach to mix your products names. Actually it's a capital No-No in marketing.

It's still early enough in the development cycle to do it. Just call it Emby Premium or something like that.

Notfast

As long that Emby theater supports Madvr, then you got me as a user.

I don't mind paying for software, not I do not want a monthly fee!