Lost me at Premium

mhariush

axehandler

Thanks Speechles. I said that nearly a year and a half ago and Media Browser Theater is still free and always will be. Emby Theater is not the same app. Since then we rebranded to Emby, built new apps and features, which in turn has driven up our costs. It is really out of necessity that we are doing this.

Emby Theater may eventually not require Emby Premiere, but I think right now it's a great way to reward those users with an early access program which can also help raise funds for future projects.

The double speak in this sentence concerns me.

The fact that it was stated and a "name change" or "rebrand" nullifies it causes concerns.

I've been leaning to get the Premiere lifetime.... But based on the above statement.. I wonder if you would "rebrand" the lifetime to "Premier +" or something and those that bought the lifetime premiere would be left in the cold with the OLD MBT. err with the old emby Theater.

It remind me of my Internet provider saying "its Unlimited internet" and later changing the Unlimited.. no no we ment Unlimited ACCESS... not usage.

Your actions are cause for concern.

Axe

• Like 2

czorrilla

I can think of a direct competitor that has an almost identical subscription plan and their lifetime membership is even more. Another popular player charges $70 for their player and another $50 each time your want to upgrade to the latest version. There are already other players that offer core functionality for free for example MBT, the web player, and Emby for Kodi. For the price of 4 Blu-rays you can have software that will run on almost every device and outlast the hardware itself. 

That being said I bet a large majority of people here are running Emby on thousands of dollars worth of AV equipment that they will upgrade in a few years but don't want to spend $100 of software to interact with it all.

Those people you mention have much more sophisticate system running propietary stuff without worrying about configurations or setups. My system is an old business desktop on top of Windows 7 and 15 years old Altec Lansing 5.1 computer speakers.

Try again...

swhitmore

Those people you mention have much more sophisticate system running propietary stuff without worrying about configurations or setups. My system is an old business desktop on top of Windows 7 and 15 years old Altec Lansing 5.1 computer speakers.

Try again...

You have plenty of free options with Emby then. I recommend the Kodi addon or the original Emby Theatre. If you would like something even easier, you can use the web client. I use it all the time on my desktop and it works great.

All these options are free and should work really well with Windows 7 and your 15 year old speakers.

I look forward to your future contributions to the community.

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

whitestrat13

I've been leaning to get the Premiere lifetime.... But based on the above statement.. I wonder if you would "rebrand" the lifetime to "Premier +" or something and those that bought the lifetime premiere would be left in the cold with the OLD MBT. err with the old emby Theater

Maybe I can put your mind at ease with my personal experience. I personally have never had to "purchase" Emby Premier. I have premier status because I was a supporter early on. I first made several donations when Media Browser 3 was first announced and all that was working was the server and a ported media center plugin. I gave them my money as a broke college student because I felt the product was worth it. When premier was announced, they told me my supporter key would be honored and I was granted premier status.

These guys are honest, ethical people. They have always done right by all who have helped to fund this incredible project.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Edited by whitestrat13
  • Like 13

It's a double edged sword. I'll lay it out calmly since I've had a few days to get over it, which I truly have.

On one side you have those of us that where told to wait with bugs for the new version without really any mention of it being a paid app, so I get the popups and ignore them for most the day due to wife being sick and watching movies, but later in the evening I went ahead and upgraded then went to hurry and resume her current movie to be greeted with the premiere message. Thought maybe it was something enabled in settings so turned off Cinema and messed with some other things to keep getting the same greeting, gave up and came searching the forums to see what the hell was going on and find this thread which was legitimately the only reference to it I could find at all. As you can see there I said there needed to be a clear message that it wasn't free and Luke got that fixed up within a few hours. They legitimately made a mistake with the launch assuming we all knew it was paid in advance when the truth is, we didn't.

Now on the other side you have paying clients (lets not sugarcoat it, that's what this is as of now) and those that got the message stating it wasn't free before upgrading. Those of you don't understand the anger at being cheated like this that the rest of us felt. It was a sort of slap in the face where we where told to wait, get a message about it (not stating its paid at all) then upgrade and still see nowhere that its paid and try to figure out why the hell it's not working. The main issue here was resolved in that thread I linked by Luke, quickly.

To put it simply, some of us got a real rude experience with the launch, and it made us very angry, myself included. I'm totally fine with it being a paid app, although as I mentioned earlier I have absolutely no interest in the other "fluff" that comes with it, I do think the "price" is a bit steep for general playback (that's just me, but hey). If you are keeping MBT active and you actually plan to fix issues with it that we where told to wait for the new release to be fixed... Then I really don't give a damn about it. The whole point is, some information was mistakenly left out of the new release and that pissed a lot of us off.

Do keep up the good work though, I was using MB when it was called something like "Video Browser" or some such, not as much as I do now, but I did use it. Up until now, no complaints, so I'd say for the amount of time, something like this was due.

You won't be attracting many new users though when the Emby Theater can't even be used without first paying. If I had no idea what this was and found it, then went to use it and seen that, I'd probably laugh and say something like "XBMC it is!", you get the point.

And my last statement here, previously I mentioned you where asking for it to be cracked. Which is exactly what will happen if playback isn't available. That's not a threat, it wasn't the first time and it isn't now, it's a fact I'd bet on. Although I would wager it takes awhile to crack.

In closing, the development team has done a great job over the years, I don't really have many complaints. They deserve some pay for this, I do disagree on the price, or scheme of it even, your target audience is legitimately the people that would rather watch a trailer filmed on a cell phone camera then create a user to an exclusive website to watch it.

And this will be my last input on the subject, as I said, I'm over it. Protesting does no good.

Edited by akensai
  • Like 3

swhitmore

Do keep up the good work though, I was using MB when it was called something like "Video Browser" or some such, not as much as I do now, but I did use it. Up until now, no complaints, so I'd say for the amount of time, something like this was due.

In closing, the development team has done a great job over the years, I don't really have many complaints. They deserve some pay for this, I do disagree on the price, or scheme of it even, your target audience is legitimately the people that would rather watch a trailer filmed on a cell phone camera then create a user to an exclusive website to watch it.

Can I ask an honest question? You say you have been using this software since it was called Video Browser. Is there a reason why you haven't ever supported the project? Is it just a matter of price now? (If you were an old school user, a supporter donation was only $10 from memory).

I can understand if you feel the price is steep if you only require the premium for Emby Theatre, and Luke has already said he will look into having a separate payment for those people, but I'm genuinely surprised that people aren't interested in supporting the project. I guess I'm of the feeling that if you're not willing to contribute, then you can't really complain. I know that sounds harsh, but so is expecting something for nothing (even when there are free options).

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 9

Can I ask an honest question? You say you have been using this software since it was called Video Browser. Is there a reason why you haven't ever supported the project? Is it just a matter of price now? (If you were an old school user, a supporter donation was only $10 from memory).

When I started building my media setup it was on an old dualcore business class SFF that I got off Ebay for $50 and converted into a media server with an even older 500gb drive I had laying around. My only intention for it to begin with was as a DVR, then I realized I wasn't using much of the space so I went looking for decent media server software, I had used just about everything but ended up installing (I think) an old OEM copy of Windows Server 2003 on it and running Video Browser, I don't even know what year this was. With the above said, I was making about $600/mo off salary (1099) and my rent was $700/mo, needless to say it was a struggle, I didn't pay for anything that either didn't keep me alive or keep me dry at that time or I most likely would have. Fast forward a few years, I've moved, have a much better job, family, etc. I didn't keep up with my media hobby for a bit but then I went back I'd say maybe 1.5-2 years ago and downloaded Media Browser. I've since slowly added to the setup, maybe $25 here, $20 a few months later. Etc etc. So when I'm given the option of a subscription or a life payment, I choose life, because I'm always worried I won't have that $4, it's just ingrained into me. Now when you see it as $100 instead of $4, that's quite a difference, especially when just a few years ago buying a $2 soda was an internal debate. To put this into perspective, every month I see Netflix $12 on my statement and wonder why the hell I need it, and we use it every day. If the life payment was $20-$50, that would have been paid AGES ago. Or if I had any use for the extra's added. I just want playback.

Btw, I did donate once a couple years ago, I think around $10, I've no idea what account I used or anything, and it's not important now anyways. I wasn't paying for something, I was saying thanks. In fact I remember someone named Sam (or Sean) emailing me to say thanks. If he had any other name, I wouldn't of remembered (personal reason, no idea who this is now).

Now the point to this life story is, I didn't used to have very much money at all, which translates to me now not spending anything unless I'm positive I want to. For a few months until recently the thought crossed my mind every time I loaded up Theater, actually when the popup started I was really thinking something along the lines of, and it may seem silly "If this has a subtitle button that doesn't require shift+8 (if you have small children, you will know the struggle), I'm paying for it.", no kidding there, that was in the back of my mind. So as I'm thinking this I get the experience I explained above and that completely obliterated that thought.

The short of it is, I'm a trained Jew. But the reason I'm against the pricing now is I know quite a few people I've turned onto MediaBrowser/Emby that can't afford even the $4/mo like I couldn't in the past if I wanted to. Theater is really the only option for an HTPC (you can build/buy a decent HTPC for web/playback for about $30), Kodi is terrible, I don't care what anyone says about it, web doesn't work so well from 20ft away with a remote, and Classic is all but a lost cause since there is no MCE in Win10.

I'm completely fine with MBT as it does what I need it to. But that only works as long as it's occasionally updated as well.

This post was much longer than it needed to be, but I felt I needed to explain this.

Edited by akensai
  • Like 2

shaefurr

Wow, I seriously can't believe how much complaining about emby's premiere price all the sudden. NOTHING has changed, its the same pricing plan its been on for quite some time. Saying you need to pay for content is ridiculous, emby has always been free to use, the server is free and so are multiple clients, the main one being the web client which works on multiple platforms, do you get every client for free? no, of course not. And I dont see why you would need to "switch" to xbmc/kodi since it is free and works just fine with emby server, unless you plan to uninstall the server and not use it with kodi just out of spite. Maybe you dont need to stream to more than 1 client or care about the server, I don't know, but I still don't see the point.

I pay yearly for MCM, I bought a lifetime flexraid license for $100, I buy new games for $60 a pop (a lot of which suck). It costs money to make software people, these devs put in a ton of hours creating and maintaining these apps, and they don't even require you to pay to use the bulk of it.

I play a lot of free to play games, some of which ive spent 10x as much as it would have cost as a regular priced game, others ive spent zero. The point is you can use these products for free, paying is up to you and what you want to get out of it. Im sorry but I pay up to $50 for a 'Mech in mechwarrior online, now thats throwing money away, emby is totally worth it con sidering how much use you get out of it.

If your complaining about the lifetime price, its $4 a month, tell me who cant afford that if you can afford the hardware emby runs on.

Edited by shaefurr
  • Like 7

Ian-Highlander

Classic is all but a lost cause since there is no MCE in Win10.

Not going to jump into the rest of the discussion because I've said my piece and @@Luke answered my main issue almost immediately.

However, just incase you're not already aware of it. There's a thread in the EMC forum that links to an installer for MCE on Windows 10 developed by a bunch of guys on another forum. Very simple straight forward install and it just works exactly as it used to on Windows 7. I'm using it on my primary media PC (all functionality including Emby, live TV, recording etc) and have been for a while. :)

• Like 3

dimitrik

I'm an old Emby supporter because I think it's the best software out there for its purpose. But I find myself obliged to make some tough comments on this topic. I do this only to help the developers constructively and have no intention of offending anyone. Please accept my apologies in advance if I do.

Firstly in my opinion, the "lifetime" offer for $99, is ridiculous.

This is essentially a community driven effort with a few dedicated developers. We have no way of knowing if you will be here for a "lifetime". What does that mean anyway? My lifetime? Yours? Forever? How do we know that in 2-3 years, key programmers won't leave the project because of other priorities, effectively killing future development? In order to pay that much for "Lifetime" subscriptions (really it's a license so let's call it that) one wants the reliability of a software company behind it, to have the confidence it'll be here for several years at least.  

Secondly asking people to pay, whether it's a lifetime license or a yearly subscription, turns supporters into paying customers. Customers (rightly) have expectations: continued development (as above), helpful user support, issue resolution etc. You can't address this only with this forum. Once a customer has an issue, they expect you to fix it promptly.  Many of the enthusiastic supporters who loudly declare they are happy to pay the price because the software is great, will quickly turn into irate customers the moment it's not as they expect.

Third, if you're going to charge, you need to clarify your pricing. What does "premiere" buy? Is it just the features listed here?   What about the rest of the software you offer? Is it definitely "free"? Right now it's not all that clear, but one could easily get the impression that Premiere customers, get everything else for free and will do so for a "lifetime". Is that definite? Or are you at some point going to charge for another feature which is now free (perhaps because it is still underdeveloped)?

By the way people who buy Premiere, will have "paying customer" expectations about all the free stuff too. And if, say, the WMC client breaks, these people will be much more upset than those that pay nothing.

Finally applying this pricing to incomplete software like ET, is in my view a mistake. Paid software should be complete, fully tested and functional. I tested ET on two machines. On my desktop it sort of works OK (subtitles were ugly and sometimes failed to load), but the feature set is still too primitive (-e.g. I can't configure MadVR to use the scaling algorithms I want, which is the only reason to use it). And on my dedicated HTPC it doesn't work at all with EVR/EVR+ and with MadVR it shows a horribly washed out picture. By "paying customer" standards, it's basically unusable. Sure others may have better luck and I *hope* it'll eventually be as I want it, but that's not how paid software is supposed to work.

All the above is important to consider because from where I sit, for all your excellent development work, you have not given much thought to the business model. Bluntly put, to date, too many things have been handled in a way that, however well intentioned, lacks the seriousness and reliability that a paying customer expects.

For example the Android app was free, now it's paid. The paid iOS app was abandonware for a year. The server is still not 100% rock steady especially in basic features like metadata handling and library maintenance (and even worse on Linux).  It seems that many of your apps are developed by people outside your team e.g. the Windows Store one, which makes things even less consistent.

By the way no matter what some may say, $100 is a fair amount of money. People will have expectations and most will not be as understanding as I.

You need to take a time-out and seriously plan if you're going to turn this into a business. Getting some professional, especially legal advice is also a good idea.

Please treat all the above as constructive criticism from someone with the benefit of experience in the technology business.

Have a good day and keep up the good work.

• Like 6

overClocked!

When I started building my media setup it was on an old dualcore business class SFF that I got off Ebay for $50 and converted into a media server with an even older 500gb drive I had laying around. My only intention for it to begin with was as a DVR, then I realized I wasn't using much of the space so I went looking for decent media server software, I had used just about everything but ended up installing (I think) an old OEM copy of Windows Server 2003 on it and running Video Browser, I don't even know what year this was. With the above said, I was making about $600/mo off salary (1099) and my rent was $700/mo, needless to say it was a struggle, I didn't pay for anything that either didn't keep me alive or keep me dry at that time or I most likely would have. Fast forward a few years, I've moved, have a much better job, family, etc. I didn't keep up with my media hobby for a bit but then I went back I'd say maybe 1.5-2 years ago and downloaded Media Browser. I've since slowly added to the setup, maybe $25 here, $20 a few months later. Etc etc. So when I'm given the option of a subscription or a life payment, I choose life, because I'm always worried I won't have that $4, it's just ingrained into me. Now when you see it as $100 instead of $4, that's quite a difference, especially when just a few years ago buying a $2 soda was an internal debate. To put this into perspective, every month I see Netflix $12 on my statement and wonder why the hell I need it, and we use it every day. If the life payment was $20-$50, that would have been paid AGES ago. Or if I had any use for the extra's added. I just want playback.

Btw, I did donate once a couple years ago, I think around $10, I've no idea what account I used or anything, and it's not important now anyways. I wasn't paying for something, I was saying thanks. In fact I remember someone named Sam (or Sean) emailing me to say thanks. If he had any other name, I wouldn't of remembered (personal reason, no idea who this is now).

Now the point to this life story is, I didn't used to have very much money at all, which translates to me now not spending anything unless I'm positive I want to. For a few months until recently the thought crossed my mind every time I loaded up Theater, actually when the popup started I was really thinking something along the lines of, and it may seem silly "If this has a subtitle button that doesn't require shift+8 (if you have small children, you will know the struggle), I'm paying for it.", no kidding there, that was in the back of my mind. So as I'm thinking this I get the experience I explained above and that completely obliterated that thought.

The short of it is, I'm a trained Jew. But the reason I'm against the pricing now is I know quite a few people I've turned onto MediaBrowser/Emby that can't afford even the $4/mo like I couldn't in the past if I wanted to. Theater is really the only option for an HTPC (you can build/buy a decent HTPC for web/playback for about $30), Kodi is terrible, I don't care what anyone says about it, web doesn't work so well from 20ft away with a remote, and Classic is all but a lost cause since there is no MCE in Win10.

I'm completely fine with MBT as it does what I need it to. But that only works as long as it's occasionally updated as well.

This post was much longer than it needed to be, but I felt I needed to explain this.

:)

This is the Post of the Year.  

Everything said here really puts a personal and real face on the issues brought forth in this thread.  I can completely identify with this.

I know when emotions are high and when the pressure is on, we as humans tend to lash out and not handle things so gracefully.  It's not nice or fair to assume anyone can really afford to pay for things the way others can.  So when it comes down to it, it's about life decisions.  

We were all used to the MediaBrowser stable of products and plug-ins to bring us a rich, unique, affordable (and many times free) experience that you can only find in high-dollar solutions.  We root for the Emby team because they started out with very humble beginnings and represented the little guy.  Well, isn't the Emby team allowed to grow and improve and expand beyond those humble beginnings and create even better products for us without being criticized for charging an optional competitive fee for their trouble? If they can't afford to stay in business, the product suffers.  And in turn, so would we, who depend so much on their innovation and hard work.

For the reasons stated here and elsewhere, we are all rooting and relying on Emby Theater to fill a void that is being created by Microsoft and some of the other competition.  The Emby team is in uncharted territory and they may not get all of the decisions right on their first try.  But these guys do something the big boys are loathed to do...they listen to their users and they deliver the products and features we want and they correct their mistakes.  That is so very rare.  

It's only right that we reciprocate and show them that appreciation within our own means to do so.  There are those that want something for nothing all the time.  I'm aware of that.  If someone says they can't afford it, don't bash them.  It's probably true.  In the meantime, just steer them to the free options because they are also very awesome.  Maybe one day they will rise above their circumstances and be able to afford to make that payment to simply say "Thanks for being awesome!"  Not everyone is in that place right now.

Edited by overClocked!
  • Like 7

gutterdone26

I've been using Media Browser / Emby for over a year now as a free user and have loved it. I've thought about it many times to pay for premium as a way to say thanks but haven't. This new Emby Theater pushed me over the edge in a good way and got me to pay for a year, not because I like the new Theater because honestly I don't at the moment, but just as a way to say thanks for all the hard work. The way that it wasn't explicitly said the new Theater had to be paid for sucked, but I don't think it was intentional and I have no problem with paying just to say thanks for all the work put in. And really the server and the original theater are still free and are awesome. Transparency was the only thing lacking recently, but really, is that enough to hate what is mostly an awesome free product? I think not.

• Like 6

As to your other comments though - there are people working on this project as a full time job.  How are they supposed to eat if it is 100% free??  If this were not the case, the new ET wouldn't exist at all...

Completely missed the point.  Emby effectively changed its business model from "free for basics, premium for toys" to "pay to use".  Now the only way to use Emby for a home theater setup is to pay for it, or use third-party clients to play (like Kodi). 

As someone who works full time, supports a disabled adult, and has a hard time putting food on the table $40/year extra is a big deal.  I would not have invested the time I did over the past few months moving to Emby from Plex if I had expected to pay for basic use.  Bait-and-switch.

Now that users known that Emby can't be trusted to maintain the same business model, what else will we pay for next, I wonder? 

• Like 2

shaefurr

Somehow one new app requiring premium changes the entire business model? The old theater app is still free, so technically you are paying premium for a "new toy"

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Yea the old app is still freely available, it's not going anywhere and we will make bug fixes for critical issues, so nothing has been taken away. What we've done is simply introduced a new reward for our loyal supporting members.

• Like 5

AdrianW

Now the only way to use Emby for a home theater setup is to pay for it, or use third-party clients to play (like Kodi). 

There's still EMC as well.

Or web client with "mpc remote for mediabrowser - free addon" for whom like browse and play with external player while browsing from http.

But while option here and there, I know the new ET will be best choice when it done (it almost done tho), and indeed will worth the payment for it.

swhitmore

Completely missed the point.  Emby effectively changed its business model from "free for basics, premium for toys" to "pay to use".  Now the only way to use Emby for a home theater setup is to pay for it, or use third-party clients to play (like Kodi). 

As someone who works full time, supports a disabled adult, and has a hard time putting food on the table $40/year extra is a big deal.  I would not have invested the time I did over the past few months moving to Emby from Plex if I had expected to pay for basic use.  Bait-and-switch.

Now that users known that Emby can't be trusted to maintain the same business model, what else will we pay for next, I wonder? 

I'm sorry, but I can't agree with anything you have said here. There are actually some good arguments in this thread about the price structure, yours isn't one of them. There are still at least 4 other fantastic clients that work on the PC, there is no 'bait and switch', no shady deals, just some hard working guys trying to make a living off a project like this.

Your statement that hurts the most though, is where you play the sympathy card, having a "hard time putting food on the table $40/year extra is a big deal'. Did you ever stop to think that $40/year is a big deal to the developers too? and probably the reason why they had to go down this road?

You may not realise this, but the new Emby Theatre client is one of the most time consuming projects the devs have undertaken for this community. One of the only reasons they did it is because so many people wanted it. With the many other PC clients that work on Emby, they could have easily just left it to other people to build, and integrate clients, and it probably wouldn't have any affect on the amount of supporters.

For anyone who is planning on continuing this discussion, please just first stop and think about what this projects means for the developers (you know, the people who actually create this amazing software). 

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 3

People are complain about price because the product is intangible. They cant touch it, feel it, rub its smooth corners and soft dimples. This has always been a problem.

Software used to come on a diskette, or a CD, or etc. A tangible medium which gave the software perceived value. You paid for something real. Nowadays in this digital world things are not so easily perceived.

People who arent as perceptive will see digital items as "should be free", or " should be cheaper", or give excuses why they think the price is too high. People have been doing this for years with "labor" charges. Another intangible item. People work for you, and expect payment. You question why the labor is so high because you cant immediately see it. You should see value in the workmanship, their customer service, and overall performance.

Think of emby theater like a product you get, plus the "labor" they will give you in the future. Neither the product or the labor can you touch, taste, or feel. You can sort of feel it in the quality of the product.

If you feel the quality doesnt justify the price then explain why. Just dont explain why by making it about yourself and your situation as if that matters. Your situation in life is irrelevant to price. Just because you are poorer doesnt make 78 inch TVs become cheaper. This is part of economics 101. Some things are out of reach. Not everybody can afford everything. We all know this already. It shouldnt be brought up in this thread trying to guilt sympathy. That is just bad form.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 5

Bandits

Was trying very hard not to get into this discussion but I have a couple of questions.

What Emby client besides Theater is available for Windows 10 that can be used with a remote control and has an external player?

I ask this because everyone keeps saying there are many free clients besides Theater. Don't bother mentioning Kodi because I can use that without Emby at all.

Does Madshi and Nevcairiel get paid when you include their free software to create Theater?

I am probably in the minority but I do not use Emby because its a player. I don't use the Theater client on a Desktop, Laptop, or Tablet because it was supposed to be for a home theater application. Mediabrowser now Emby was a great way to organize/access your media library for a home theater and this is what I thought this product was. I understand everyone wants a seamless experience from library to player but over the years I have never found a single library manager that met my standards as a player. I would love to support Emby to be a great library manager but what I have seen from the new version it is going in a way that no longer meets my needs.

You say that the old Theater will remain free but unsupported. This just tells me when you change Emby Server in a way old Theater no longer understand it this will be the end of it. I am in no way complaining about the price or having to pay for a product. Its just that this is no longer the product I thought it was.

• Like 1

swhitmore

What Emby client besides Theater is available for Windows 10 that can be used with a remote control and has an external player?

Emby for WMC, the older Emby Theatre, and Kodi all support external players I believe. Also Media Portal, but I have't tried that before.

Its just that this is no longer the product I thought it was.

I don't see how it has changed at all, apart from growing bigger and including more clients. You still have the same free server and same free clients that have existed for years. I don't understand what you can't do now for free that you haven't done for years.

Edited by swhitmore

You say that the old Theater will remain free but unsupported. This just tells me when you change Emby Server in a way old Theater no longer understand it this will be the end of it. 

We will never do this.

SHSPVR
Bandits, on 24 Jan 2016 - 9:00 PM, said:

You say that the old Theater will remain free but unsupported. This just tells me when you change Emby Server in a way old Theater no longer understand it this will be the end of it. I am in no way complaining about the price or having to pay for a product. Its just that this is no longer the product I thought it was.

They have keep that part free or loss out on Schedules Direct EPG Support which is limited to only free software not commercial software

The previous version isn't going anywhere. It will always be available to you and we're still supporting it for major issues, so you're welcome to continue using it.