Lost me at Premium

mhariush

SHSPVR

Well, yes you're right you can find heaps of info without signing up to the forums. But that user mentioned "fighting" for two years to get emby working and WMC only being "semi-usable". So, it's very unlikely he even read the forums at all.

I was ref to frist part the rest I can see as possable bunch of BS.

But he dose got a point Emby, NextPVR don't work well more so with LiveTV part and wifes acceptance which why I still used SageTV and it way eazy to setup to.

I have no idea what he try say by "was semi usable with wmc till windows 10" being W10 has no support for WMC.

• Like 1

Ian-Highlander

WMC works perfectly on Windows 10. A group of guys worked it all out and built an installer for it. 100% functionality, we've been using it for quite a while now, Live TV/Recording/Emby all fully working. There's a thread in the EMC forum about it http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/27819-emby-mc-in-windows-10-success/;)

Edited by Ian-Highlander

Trevor68

I think it's just a case of jumping the shark a little. maybe should have waited to disable playback in Theatre until it actually worked. Having been here for years, i'm happy to wait, but I guess not everybody is as patient as me. :-)

It's not just you. All I see in this thread is 

tumblr_inline_mlh3y2JltW1qz4rgp.gif

Cute.  And all I see on this forum is fanboyism and juvenile behavior.

A lot of work has obviously gone into Emby, it is a much more powerful product than when I last used it. Happy I gave Emby a try (last time I did it was still called MediaBrowser) but based on what I see here this is not a product I want to be using.  Back to Plex or Kodi with MySQL.  

Trevor68

The new Emby Theater must be taking down Github :)

Out of curiosity is this because the new theatre client connects to github for the auto updates?

swhitmore

Out of curiosity is this because the new theatre client connects to github for the auto updates?

Just for the current beta deployment it is. Makes it easier for fast updates.

Deathsquirrel

Just for the current beta deployment it is. Makes it easier for fast updates.

Plus it's probably just about impossible dealing with bug reports from outdated builds.

I just wanted to throw in my support for the hard-working developers who have been working on Emby server and the Emby client applications.

I started as a free user a few years ago, and have experienced my share of bugs and glitches just like everyone else.

I accept that nothing is 100% perfect, but Emby is pretty damned close these days.

When I finally upgraded to Windows 10 and lost WMC, Emby became my primary media server AND media center software, so I went ahead and did the lifetime donation for the Premium functions.

Even having to wait for the Emby Theater beta I'm using now, I completely consider it good money spent.

Having read through these threads, and having been a free user at one time, I would also support the suggestion of having a lesser, one-time payment for the new Emby Theater for non-premium users, just like all the other Emby client applications.

I'm sure some people will still grumble, but good work deserves real financial support, just as real loyalty merits some kind of consideration.

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

Cute. And all I see on this forum is fanboyism and juvenile behavior.

A lot of work has obviously gone into Emby, it is a much more powerful product than when I last used it. Happy I gave Emby a try (last time I did it was still called MediaBrowser) but based on what I see here this is not a product I want to be using. Back to Plex or Kodi with MySQL.

You are right there is fanboyism in this forum. It IS the forums for the software. Every community has its fanboys. Windows, Mac, Linux, Plex, Kodi...they all do.

If you go visit the Plex forums and watch them, I can practically guarantee that you will encounter fanboys.

Frankly, I don't think fanboyism is bad. It is the sign that the software works well enough and the devs are responsive enough to warrant people passionately supporting it.

As far as juvenile, I am not the best judge of what counts as juvenile but I haven't seen anything that I would say counts. Also, it IS the internet and we ARE human. If you want a juvenile free environment, good luck finding one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Edited by thefirstofthe300
  • Like 3

shaefurr

Funny how many people complain about the premium price then mention going to plex instead. Have fun paying more for a plex pass. Seriously though a lot of work has gone into emby that justifies a premium price, which again, isn't required for the server and multiple clients. If you're not happy supporting just use the free apps and stop complaining already.

Sent from my LG G3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

Funny how many people complain about the premium price then mention going to plex instead. Have fun paying more for a plex pass. Seriously though a lot of work has gone into emby that justifies a premium price, which again, isn't required for the server and multiple clients. If you're not happy supporting just use the free apps and stop complaining already.

This thread got re-opened so that the public can have a voice. Turning it into a bitching contest isn't going to help anyone here is it?

• Like 2

shaefurr

This thread got re-opened so that the public can have a voice. Turning it into a bitching contest isn't going to help anyone here is it?

No, it isn't. Nor are posts just saying emby is too buggy/expensive etc. I'm switching to XXX instead. Thats not at all constructive.

Don't get me wrong there have been some good posts in this thread.

• Like 1

b0dyr0ck2006

No, it isn't. Nor are posts just saying emby is too buggy/expensive etc. I'm switching to XXX instead. Thats not at all constructive.

Don't get me wrong there have been some good posts in this thread.

I couldn't agree more with you, but I asked to have this thread re-opened as I felt that it would be good for the users to voice the way they feel. As I have mentioned before, some posts get a little heated but that just shows the passion for the software. The ones that just come to post how they don't like this that or the other and are going to use something else, let them go and we will wait till they return with their tails between their legs. The grass isn't always greener as they say. It is a very fine line to keep here, to try and stay positive and step away from what could be misconstrued as unnecessary argumentativeness. At the same time as keeping users comments in check.

• Like 2

shaefurr

I couldn't agree more with you, but I asked to have this thread re-opened as I felt that it would be good for the users to voice the way they feel. As I have mentioned before, some posts get a little heated but that just shows the passion for the software. The ones that just come to post how they don't like this that or the other and are going to use something else, let them go and we will wait till they return with their tails between their legs. The grass isn't always greener as they say. It is a very fine line to keep here, to try and stay positive and step away from what could be misconstrued as unnecessary argumentativeness. At the same time as keeping users comments in check.

Agreed.

• Like 1

thefirstofthe300

Well stated.  I can say that has been my experience.  No matter how many times I get frustrated with Emby and go back to see how Plex is doing, it just doesn't cut it for me...despite having bought the lifetime license and Plex having completed offline sync for Android, the one feature that I REALLY need from Emby!  The interface just feels clunky; I don't like Java; I don't even bother posting bugs for the devs since I have never seen them really reply to anyone.

With Emby, I know that my concerns are heard, my bugs will more than likely be fixed in a beta within the week.  Overall, the experience has just been solid with Emby.  Granted, I jumped on the supporter bandwagon before they even introduced Premiere (I think this was the first project that I have actually given money too without getting a major feature set it return...remember, I said I jumped on before Premiere so the most I got out of my lifetime supporter key was Cover Art really, something I can live without).

SHSPVR
shaefurr, on 31 Jan 2016 - 4:54 PM, said:shaefurr, on 31 Jan 2016 - 4:54 PM, said:

Thing is you don't have buy plex pass to use Plex Home Theater with Plex Server

Edited by SHSPVR
  • Like 1

Certainly plex has a much firmer and tighter grip on your balls though. They reach farther into your wallet, and build their ecosystem for themselves, not you or I.

Emby is looser on the death grip on your junk, not so greedy with its monetization, and proactively is working to keep the stuff updated, and keep your wishes heard and granted.

Plex gives away PHT for a reason, so they can use that to leverage their pay mechanics on every other platform, and use their plexpass preview model to force you pay. If you want to be up to date and use plexs most current apps you cough up the money. If you arent a plexpass customer your opinion on their forum really means nothing. You are screaming in the vaccuum of space until you cough up. At that point they go oh, those issues yeah, we forgot about that. Money talks to them. You dont matter, your money does.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

spootdev

Certainly plex has a much firmer and tighter grip on your balls though. They reach farther into your wallet, and build their ecosystem for themselves, not you or I.

Emby is looser on the death grip on your junk, not so greedy with its monetization, and proactively is working to keep the stuff updated, and keep your wishes heard and granted.

Well, that's certainly a "vision" I didn't need on a Monday morning.   ^_^   "Spoot, you have those TPS reports ready?  No, I'm gaggin on the thought of things grabbing speechles's junk."

Thing is you don't have buy plex pass to use Plex Home Theater with Plex Server

That is a legacy app, just like our old version. We both have free old versions. 

jasonmcroy

That is a legacy app, just like our old version. Both have free old versions.

Exactly true. In fact, in order to have access to their new Plex Media Player App you have to be a Plex Pass member. I tried it when it first came out as I was a monthly Plex Pass member and the video quality was terrible on my machine and a few others on the thread. Their releases for it have been very slow and even the latest release while making video quality better, still didn't fully resolve my issues.

As far as video quality for me, the Emby App has been outstanding from day 1 and has only gotten better and my God, there are new releases or fixes on it throughout the day almost every day since release. And how many people are working on Emby in comparison?

I think Luke is really a robot. [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 1

So, after all the discussion, for people like me that would like to play with the new version of ET, but do not want any of the extra features and disagree with the current contribution options:

Can you please give us an option to only use the new ET? let's say a one time contribution of $29.

I'm sure many people on the fence will bite.

For me the old version does everything I want perfectly, but I'd like to give something back. The "costumer" support here is amazing, I posted an issue at the beginning of this thread and a fix was posted by Luke 1 hour later, thank you.

Cheers!

A Monthly Premiere subscription would give you access to the new ET (and a whole lot more) for 30 days for $5.  That's a pretty good try-out price IMO...

• Like 1

Hi ebr, personally I don't like the recurring payment option. Reading this thread, it is clear that many people are interested in Emby Theater only and the current contribution options do not address these users.

In an ideal world we all be able to pay the lifetime premier account to compensate for these fantastic programs, but that's not going to happen.

Cheers.

Edited by canachi

custardcream

Hi ebr, personally I don't like the recurring payment option. Reading this thread, it is clear that many people are interested in Emby Theater only and the current contribution options do not address these users.

To be fair, Emby Theater isn't finished yet so you wouldn't likely see a standalone payment option for a little while (if at all). Otherwise people would be paying for an unfinished product rather than the current model (which is to pay for Premiere as a service, of which playback on ET forms a part).