Raspberry Pi

Luke

hurricanehrndz

This afternoon I took a fresh SD micro card, installed Raspbian Jessie and followed these steps to install Emby:

wget -qO - http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:emby/xUbuntu_14.04/Release.key| sudo apt-key add -

sudo sh -c "echo 'deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/emby/xUbuntu_14.04//' >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/emby-server.list"

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install emby-server

sudo systemctl enable emby-server

Installation was smooth, didn't take very long and in the end I had Emby running. Great!

But now I'm running in the same issues as posted by me in http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/27026-raspberry-pi/&do=findComment&comment=263356. FFMpeg is not functioning, so I'm afraid there's still something wrong.

So unfortunately in the end I switched back to my old SD card and I'm running Jessie with my self compiled ffmpeg version.

Can you please use the ffmpeg and ffmprobe found in this tar and report back:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w2upsbuag1swbj4/ffmpeg-armv7l.tar?dl=0

thereforguy

I don't think it's our version. He is using one installed on his system. I think he should perhaps try our version

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

I can't quite remember the exact issue, but the static version emby comes with when no ffmpeg is around locally has a .so missing library error of sorts. I symlinked in my own X-264 build of ffmpeg, and it's now working like a charm!

I think, failing all else, it might be a plan to simply put build instructions for x264 and ffmpeg into the top post. (With the -j4 flag on make though, it tends to speed things up a lot.)

If you'd like me to test anything + provide logs I'd be more than happy to oblige!

(By the way, thank you so much for this, it's absoluty perfect for direct streaming and hosting)

Edited by thereforguy

hurricanehrndz

I can't quite remember the exact issue, but the static version emby comes with when no ffmpeg is around locally has a .so missing library error of sorts. I symlinked in my own X-264 build of ffmpeg, and it's now working like a charm!

I think, failing all else, it might be a plan to simply put build instructions for x264 and ffmpeg into the top post. (With the -j4 flag on make though, it tends to speed things up a lot.)

If you'd like me to test anything + provide logs I'd be more than happy to oblige!

(By the way, thank you so much for this, it's absoluty perfect for direct streaming and hosting)

I would be awesome if you could test the ffmpeg I have posted above. 

thereforguy

Sure thing, just did that now

Running simply as ./ffmpeg results in "error while loading shared libraries: libass.so.5", which is fixed with

sudo apt-get install libass-dev

These ffmpeg files seem to work fine otherwise! Will report back later if all goes wrong.

Edit followup: Working fantastically, and don't seem to hang on scanning any media. Great work!

Edited by thereforguy

Hi

I've got EMBY running on my Pi2 using the FFMPEG above. I'm now trying to stream MP3 and Flac files to a Chromecast Audio expecting them to direct play, however 'active devices' shows both are being transcoded which obviously kills the Pi. Have I missed something in the set-up? 

Hi

I've got EMBY running on my Pi2 using the FFMPEG above. I'm now trying to stream MP3 and Flac files to a Chromecast Audio expecting them to direct play, however 'active devices' shows both are being transcoded which obviously kills the Pi. Have I missed something in the set-up? 

i have never seen mp3 get transcoded by chromecast. it is probably just a glitch in the display of whether it is transcoding or not.

i have never seen mp3 get transcoded by chromecast. it is probably just a glitch in the display of whether it is transcoding or not.

Hi Luke - actually I think it is transcoding - the file plays on the pi fine, but doesn't play on the Chromecast (and the CPU utilisation jumps up). I think I'll go for a fresh install of raspberian jessie and EMBY and retry. 

emby-server

Hi - I am very new to emby and linux so pre-apology for basic questions:

I followed the instructions in this thread and installed emby on my Pi 2 running raspbian jessie lite. 

The server is running fine.  I connect an HDHomerun Extend (setup to transcode) to my Emby and then tried to access Live TV and a get a blank screen.  Checked the log and I did get the ffmpeg error saying no such file or directory.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do.  I see some people are compiling ffmpeg and then I saw the download above.  Just need some guidance on next steps to resolve ffmpeg error.

Thank you.

thereforguy

I see some people are compiling ffmpeg and then I saw the download above.  Just need some guidance on next steps to resolve ffmpeg error.

My advice: download and extract the ffmpeg files posted above, and simply test running them with

cd (#folderWithNewFFMpegInIt)
./ffmpeg

Assuming you get the same errors I did, install "libass-dev" using apt. If you get more errors, report back.

Next up, providing they work, they need to be somewhere emby can see and use them. If you didn't have ffmpeg installed before, the server will have made a folder at 

/var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg/20150917/

with some presumably broken ffmpeg binaries inside.

You want to replace the ffmpeg and ffprobe files in there with the new working ones, as a quick fix. 

• Like 1

emby-server

My advice: download and extract the ffmpeg files posted above, and simply test running them with

cd (#folderWithNewFFMpegInIt)
./ffmpeg

Assuming you get the same errors I did, install "libass-dev" using apt. If you get more errors, report back.

Next up, providing they work, they need to be somewhere emby can see and use them. If you didn't have ffmpeg installed before, the server will have made a folder at 

/var/lib/emby-server/ffmpeg/20150917/

with some presumably broken ffmpeg binaries inside.

You want to replace the ffmpeg and ffprobe files in there with the new working ones, as a quick fix. 

I am sure I am doing this wrong.  I extracted the files out the tar in windows and used filezilla to get them to a directory on the pi.  I go to the directory on the pi and then type  ./ffmpeg and get permission denied.  Again, real new to linux.  Thank you.

thereforguy

That's a permissions issue, so a
"sudo chmod 755 [filename]" will work. That'll need doing for ffprobe and ffmpeg. 

Here's some further reading on the topic because this is a really important thing to understand.
http://linuxcommand.org/lts0070.php

(edit: I fixed the chmod)

Edited by thereforguy

emby-server

Thanks for link - that helps.  The chmod commands executed fine but I still get Permission denied when I execute ./ffmpeg.

thereforguy

Glad to hear the link was useful! That is rather odd though, what are the reported permissions when you use "ls -l" in that folder?

emby-server

Glad to hear the link was useful! That is rather odd though, what are the reported permissions when you use "ls -l" in that folder?

For both files it says:

----------- 1 pi pi 16479532 Jan 16 18:05 ffmpeg

----------- 1 pi pi 16424972 Jan 16 18:05 ffprobe

• Like 1

thereforguy

Well, it looks like the permissions didn't set properly! Can't really say why though, so this might need a little bit of Google-fu and hitting up stack exchange.

emby-server

Ok I finally figured it out:

It was the chmod command that was causing the issues - I ended up removing the "-" before the 755 and then the permissions were set correctly.  I then ran in to your above libass requirement when I executed ./ffmpeg; so I installed that per your above directions.  Thanks for all the help!  Now I do get TV streaming but it is choppy as I think the Pi is trying to transcode.  I need to track that down next.

Edit:  Yes I looked at the log and it does appear the pi is trying to transcode.  I have my HdHomerun transcoding already so I am at loss at this point but I will do some more investigation unless someone knows a solution.

Edited by emby-server

thereforguy

Thanks for pointing out the chmod error, I make that mistake a lot! Transcoding on the Pi is never going to work, but I can't quite explain why it would try to transcode pre-optimised streams.

Good luck on solving that problem, but my expertise ends here sadly. Do report back if you find anything out though! 

• 3 weeks later...
ChunkyKev

Been using MiniDLNA on a Raspberry Pi for a good while now, several Raspberry Pis and devices around the house streaming from it.  ONly issue is the libraries.  So how great it was to read about EMBY and EMBY Server.  I am trying to get it on a new Raspberry Pi 2 I bought after seeing some of the posts, but I have very limited knowledge.

Has anyone got a working R-Pi Image with it working that can be used?  If not how close to this are people getting, its a great project, I only wish I could be more use.

Iorifly
I'm thinking of buying a personal Raspberry 2 to run as server of Emby, NO will use transcoding. I use kodi and use direct path.

It's possible ?