PLAYz emby for LG Smart TVs

simonjhogan
Go to solution Solved by ellnic,

This is currently mega alpha release software. It could be considered "extremely volatile" at this stage.

Please bare in mind that it's coming up to Christmas and Simon has a family that take priority - especially right now.

The purpose of the current phase is to test what is available - and say if it works in its most basic form. As Simon gets further along the development path we can assist by reporting specific bugs.

That said, the fact that you have 2100 movies and your playback stops may be relevant - wait to see if he asks you for more information. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by ellnic

Joe Labero

This is currently mega alpha release software. It could be considered "extremely volatile" at this stage.

Please bare in mind that it's coming up to Christmas and Simon has a family that take priority - especially right now.

The purpose of the current phase is to test what is available - and say if it works in its most basic form. As Simon gets further along the development path we can assist by reporting specific bugs.

That said, the fact that you have 2100 movies and your playback stops may be relevant - wait to see if he asks you for more information. :-)

Sure I wait to try even more.

It seems other wise quiet nice.

One more thing is that there is bug when starting up the app and see the first screen and strafing to the right..

I have worked with testing and developing for many years earlier and would like to help out as much as possible.

Let it all be more or less done and tell me when to do all the tests :)

I gladely make all the time needed to get this 100% working...even if it takes several months.

Delighted I wish you all a merry christmas.

rippedoff

Once bitten twice shy.  Won't be buying this app once it hits the LG store.  Simon will probably just move onto something else then and stop supporting this like he has with the Playz Media app.

Plus why is this app a complete rip of the official Plex client in both look and layout?

• Solution

@@rippedoff if you aren't happy with someone giving their free time to bring you features which you otherwise wouldn't have, then nobody is keeping you here.

The reason that this app looks similar to PLAYz for Plex is because it is, in some ways. Simon has developed this in his own free time to bring us support for our favourite media solution. It is entirely up to him if he uses the same code base.

The last time I checked, no developer, let alone a family man working for non corporate reasons promised or is obligated to continue app development. If the Plex ecosystem has made development difficult then this is non his fault.

In any case - this thread (and forum) are for Emby and not for bitching ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

simonjhogan

Once bitten twice shy.  Won't be buying this app once it hits the LG store.  Simon will probably just move onto something else then and stop supporting this like he has with the Playz Media app.

Plus why is this app a complete rip of the official Plex client in both look and layout?

You paid $5 for an app that filled a need until Plex Inc. pulled their fingers out to build an official one - seriously get over it! I have open sourced the code so other could contribute, no one did!

I am going thru a messy divorce in part because of all the time I devoted to getting PLAYz built, released and supported ... I still have two young children ... so in short gfy.

The app is very similar to the official plex app because I like how it works, functions and looks - the best form of flattery is to mimic something you like ...

Simon

• Like 6

Hey, just been pointed here from another thread. Looks good so far but, not working for me. Dropped it on a USB stick and all looks OK but no icon when plugged in to the TV.

Have got PlayZ/Plex on the USB and that shows up OK. Tried looking at differences but nothing obvious (to me) - Emby version has no index.html or lgconfig.xml in the app root folder. Tried copying them in just to get an icon up without success. Also removed Plex version from USB in case of conflict but still no better.

Late here now, so have not looked through much Emby developer docs - any suggestions welcome but will look over next few days to try and get it running on the TV.

One odd thing though, in the index.html file, lots of references to things that should be in the install (e.g. <script type="text/javascript" src="./script/emby.js"></script>), but these things are not there in the ZIP. Presume this is related to the fact that an internet connection is needed as per previous comments in this post but can't see how this works with the ZIP I got (today) and looking through the HTML.

simonjhogan

Hey, just been pointed here from another thread. Looks good so far but, not working for me. Dropped it on a USB stick and all looks OK but no icon when plugged in to the TV.

Have got PlayZ/Plex on the USB and that shows up OK. Tried looking at differences but nothing obvious (to me) - Emby version has no index.html or lgconfig.xml in the app root folder. Tried copying them in just to get an icon up without success. Also removed Plex version from USB in case of conflict but still no better.

Late here now, so have not looked through much Emby developer docs - any suggestions welcome but will look over next few days to try and get it running on the TV.

One odd thing though, in the index.html file, lots of references to things that should be in the install (e.g. <script type="text/javascript" src="./script/emby.js"></script>), but these things are not there in the ZIP. Presume this is related to the fact that an internet connection is needed as per previous comments in this post but can't see how this works with the ZIP I got (today) and looking through the HTML.

Try a different USB stick the smaller the better ... they seem to make a difference

simonjhogan

Hi everyone - sorry for the small hiatus been busy with personal stuff and just trying to deal ... will be back soon with more updates and releases.

Thanks for your patience

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
anderbytes

Hi everyone - sorry for the small hiatus been busy with personal stuff and just trying to deal ... will be back soon with more updates and releases.

Thanks for your patience

Hi simon! Congratulations for the excellent work. Can't wait to see it launched in LG Store.

Is it difficult to launch with LG? I surely would pay for such a useful app, if necessary.

My only concern is security. I even block the plain http port. Does your app support https-only connection ?

Tried installing the net cast version to my 2011 (or maybe 2012, I forget) LG TV. Shows up fine and seems to connect to the Emby server on my LAN. But it only shows music (and only a subset of that) -- no movies, series, etc.

Any idea what could be going wrong?

anderbytes

For some reason, "Developer Mode" app doesn't appear for my on the TV.

Anyone had this, too?

anderbytes

Tried installing the net cast version to my 2011 (or maybe 2012, I forget) LG TV. Shows up fine and seems to connect to the Emby server on my LAN. But it only shows music (and only a subset of that) -- no movies, series, etc.

Any idea what could be going wrong?

LG was doing some maintenance... now it appears to me.

But there's one problem left: my WebOS Emby app doesn't run as it should. Some error related to localization.

DEV, can you force US-english language instead of trying to get localization?

The ERROR:

Inspectable web views

Application Error [file:///usr/share/localization/webappmanager2/loaderror.html?errorCode=-1]

PS: I'm from Brazil. I hope your app can run in any TV of any country...

Edited by anderbytes

Hi Simon,

First of all thanks for this applicatioin. I am trying to get this working on my 2011 netcast 05.02.02 tv. I have the PlayZ for Plex working fine on this tv.

This app shows up fine in the My Apps section and I can select it with my magic mouse and the app starts. Then I see the PlayZ icon on the top left corner of the TV screen, But if i click on it, it do not show me the server settings page. Doesnt matter what I do, I cannot go forward from there.

Please advise if you got any ideas.

Regards.

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and new to a LG TV (WebOS 2.0)

I´ll try to install the application with the developer mode and tell you my experience.

I'm watching contents with SmartShare via DLNA, but after using Windows Media Center with MediaBrowser2 and Emby for so many years, via a htpc attached with HDMI to a HD-Ready TV, SmartShare is a step back.

My locale is ES (Spain-spanish) so I'll check if I have problems like the brazilian member (anderbytes) o not.

Hello again!

Updates:

It' has been tricky for me all about developer mode, and running app:

1) Developer account in LG.

2) Activate developer mode in TV.

3) Install LG SDK (only CLI). Previously installing Java SDK (SE).

4) Prepare a USB stick with the APP in the path: \developer\apps\usr\palm\applications\au.com.sithari.emby.playz

Is posible to install permanently into the TV, instead of plugging USB drive?, please advise.

ABOUT APP (Web OS 2.0)

The ICON for PLAYz EMBY appears in the middle of the SmartShare icons.

It runs correctly. Good speed and screen refresh. It shows my folder classification in my language, it takes all the names and summaries in my locale (ES-ES), as provided by my emby server: PERFECT.

Problems (or difficulties) only related to player:

- The player is in low resolution. All my contents are 720p or 1080p, but the built-in player plays low-res.

- The played files, are not marked so, after playing.

- While playing, it only quits to presentation screens, with a channel button. Maybe it's correct... but not obvious for me.

If there is any parameter I could manage to improve this problems, especially about low-res, I would appreciate.

Thanks simonjhogan for your development.

anderbytes

Hi.

I installed via network as LG tutorial explained, and it became permanent.

Will try layer installing via USB, to know if it works like yours.

What does it happen with USB installation? Disappears after power off?

anderbytes

Oh damn it. I think I just found the source of my issue.

! WEBOS version is below 2.0!

Hey dev. Is there anything that can be done in my case?

Tnx

eraser8

Hi Simon,

Could it be possible the link for the WebOS package is corrupted? I'm trying to import the package in the WebOS IDE but it seems to miss multiple file. Please, can you put a new link for the WEBOS 2 package? I would like to test it on my 60LB7100.  BTW, I'm currently able to test custom apps, so the IDE is correctly connected to my TV.

Thanks

anderbytes

Simon, please share your code in GitHub. Now there are more people trying to help it grow.

simonjhogan

Sorry all been offline for a while ... Divorce, moving house and now waiting on Internet connection to be setup ... Will be back on development soon ... Thanks for your patience

Sorry all been offline for a while ... Divorce, moving house and now waiting on Internet connection to be setup ... Will be back on development soon ... Thanks for your patience

Hey life has gotta come first when family is concerned ;0)

Just wanted to add, watching this new direction closely, love the design and thinking about moving to Emby from Plex. (use it on my PC and love it)  I originally bought your PlayZ from LG store - a big thanks for the development work and all your efforts, without which I wouldn't of had Plex on my LG OSweb TV 

anderbytes

Hey life has gotta come first when family is concerned ;0)

Just wanted to add, watching this new direction closely, love the design and thinking about moving to Emby from Plex. (use it on my PC and love it) I originally bought your PlayZ from LG store - a big thanks for the development work and all your efforts, without which I wouldn't of had Plex on my LG OSweb TV

I just wish my WEBOS will ever be able to run this app. The latest version threw me an error, don't know if my version of WEBOS is compatible.

smokey7722

I just picked up an LG TV and went to download this to test it out but all the posts with download links result in a 403 error so I can't download it.  Is there another location to access the app?