Theme: blue neon night

speechles

First off, continuing to love this for my Emby needs, and love all the additions (love, love, LOVE the update that included the time watched/left without needing to pause).

Just have 2 things:

1. For some reason, if I go to my Movies library, then select a Genre, rather than list the movies with that genre like it used to, the app closes out to the Roku main screen.  The official channel does not have this error, and I'm not sure when it appeared, as I don't usually decide what to watch that way, but it seems isolated to this app :(

I have since corrected this. It was a mistake on my part related to the movie views. Apologies.

2. I'm not sure if this is something with Roku, Emby apps, of the server itself, but I'm finding there are now files which used to play fine that no longer play.  These generally seem to be .wmv and .flv files, with a few others here and there, but I'm unsure why they no longer play.  Again, not sure what exactly changed or on what level, but maybe figured you might have some insight.  It's not a game breaker, as I do have the software and whatnot to convert the affected files, it's just annoying and didn't know if I was missing a simple setting change or something.

Keep up the great work, man :)

It might be related to ffmpeg too. What do you mean by, they wont play? They just hang on retrieving?

There is fallback support in the app, when it cannot play a video using automatic detection and the videoplayer closes, the app will respawn the videoplayer and enable forced transcoding to make it play. This is what should be occuring. If it is indeed hanging on retreiving, the video player may not close. In this case, the app wont fallback to transcoding. You can choose "force transcoding" and then play those items and it should work. If this also fails, it most definitely is related to ffmpeg.

New Version: v4.11

* fix suppport for trailer plugin

* fix movie genre/studio/network crash

* add check for firmware 7.5 check to quick launch

* fix alignment of OSD when no length/endtime/remaining

I've fixed the issue with the trailer plugin not working correctly. This was due to a change in the server. The server no longer supports "filter: isFavorite" when using the trailer channel /channels/ endpoint. This means you wont see a 2nd row of your favorites when using the trailer channel. You will see favorite trailers in every other view, just not _in_ the trailer channel. Remember, you can always filter/sort by pressing * when in the trailer channel.

Also fixed that problem with movie genre/studio crashing. These will work as expected now. The totals for genre/studio/network are no longer available. This was also due to a change in the server. The 2nd line which used to show how many movies/shows/items were in each can no longer be shown. Instead you will see the item type shown there.

The new emby preview app requires 7.5 firmware, so added that check to the install/launch button of the emby preview app in the quick launch row. You can enable the quick launch row in preferences. The quick launch row makes it possible to install (or launch) the preview app directly from within the blueneon app, without using a web browser(, or the roku homescreen).

When playing items with no known length, such as livetv, livestreams, etc.. the OSD wouldnt show the transcode/directplay status. This is due to how I have the OSD update (it removes old information and writes new on top). Now items without length are properly padded with a carriage return (to fill the space where endtime would be) and when the OSD updates it stays showing everything in the same positions they were.

Updated all links in first post (even zips, yep!).. Any issues still left? Bugs? Crashes? Suggestions?

Edited by speechles
  • Like 2

New Version: v4.12
* add play queue counter to HUD/OSD
* add remote control for NextTrack/PreviousTrack when playing video
* add recently played tile to homescreen
* fix remote control changing of audio/subtitles

When you use continuous play, use a playlist, or use the app via remote control (casting) to send multiple items to the roku the HUD/OSD will now show a play queue counter so you can know visually, at a glance, where you are within that queue.

Also enhanced the casting ability "remote control" playstate function to allow the >| (NextTrack) and |< (PreviousTrack) buttons to work. This will go to the next or previous video in your play queue. As expected, if you use PreviousTrack from the first video in queue it will restart the first video over. If you use NextTrack from the last video in queue it wont do anything on the roku side of things. You can tell where you are within the play queue using the HUD/OSD.

The recently played (weird eyeball tile, yes I agree, I suck at making tiles..lol) will show all items in reverse chronological order of when that item has been played. This is a quick snapshot of all the last played items on one screen. This view omits rows for shows, artists, albums, and collection folders as these do not contain last played dates. This is in addition to the favorites, continue playing, latest and random(I feel lucky!) tiles that already exist. You can always use * when in a library view to sort/filter, but having a dedicated tile is easier.

If you attempted to change audio/subtitles during playback from the remote control (casting) now playing bar it would crash the app. When direct playing these are not offered. To change these it must be done through the roku * menu. So adjusted the logic to not allow changes if direct playing, and allow changes if transcoding. This fixes the crash.

Updated all links in first post, zips too. Enjoy and if I made mistakes or broke something, let me know. Thanks ;)

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mikeraburn

@@speechles

Here's an oops I am having

(This was noticed by me PRIOR to your recent update)

I have 3 "libraries" set up on the server side and it is working and displaying as it should in the server GUI.

1. Movies (no issues)

2. TV and 3. Foreign TV (the oops areas) 4 different folders on 2 different hard drives.

When I go to Blue Neon in the individual libraries is when the oops is happening. 

Within the libraries the SHOWS row is displaying properly in both Foreign TV and TV

Within the library the JUMP IN is where the oops is.

The JUMP IN letter is pulling data from both Foreign TV and TV

The NEXT UP is displaying properly also.

FAVORITE SHOWS and FAVORITE EPISODES is displaying properly also. 

I deleted both of those libraries within the server GUI and recreated them, re scanned, and the issue persists.

What is an anal retentive person like my to do???

Help me oh Obi Wan

@@speechles

Here's an oops I am having

(This was noticed by me PRIOR to your recent update)

I have 3 "libraries" set up on the server side and it is working and displaying as it should in the server GUI.

1. Movies (no issues)

2. TV and 3. Foreign TV (the oops areas) 4 different folders on 2 different hard drives.

When I go to Blue Neon in the individual libraries is when the oops is happening. 

Within the libraries the SHOWS row is displaying properly in both Foreign TV and TV

Within the library the JUMP IN is where the oops is.

The JUMP IN letter is pulling data from both Foreign TV and TV

The NEXT UP is displaying properly also.

FAVORITE SHOWS and FAVORITE EPISODES is displaying properly also. 

I deleted both of those libraries within the server GUI and recreated them, re scanned, and the issue persists.

What is an anal retentive person like my to do???

Help me oh Obi Wan

Oh shi... erm.. snap...

I know what causes that... It's the way the roku has a singleton known as "m" (shortcut for me? probably) tied to each "screen".

In between these, the Parent ID is lost because the screen lost when the next is placed on top. The top one created wont have the reference anymore. The Parent ID becomes invalid, which tells the app it means root.

I can fix this by stashing the Parent ID into a global variable, then having the routines pull from that space. It will always exist in that context whereas as a singleton it only will as long as the screen it is tied to is on top.

Because the app uses facade screens, interim blank screens to show "retrieving" on, this is what causes the problem. I can work around this issue with the globalAA stack. I've noticed this before too and it annoys me the same. Give me a day or two and I will get this sorted. It affects alphabet, genres, studios, and networks.

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

Ok, great, Thanks!

The only take away I have from your response is that you know why it is happening, you are going to attempt to correct it in a few days and you may or may not have referred to me as a simpleton.   :lol:

• Like 1

Ok, great, Thanks!

The only take away I have from your response is that you know why it is happening, you are going to attempt to correct it in a few days and you may or may not have referred to me as a simpleton.   :lol:

Honest answer, short and simple, its not your fault. You aren't going crazy. The app has "forgot" which folder you were in, and thinks you are in the root folder and groups all your media. I can straighten out the apps brain and make it "remember". Thats really all that is required. Make it stop forgetting.. Like the scarecrow in OZ that needed a brain, that part of the app needs a better brain. :)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

@speechels

Fun fact

Last night I was watching the first two episodes of the Good Fight on CBS ALL ACCESS, I must have HIT OK about 6 times to bring up the HUD/OSD to check the time.

Thanks again for that perk.

moviemadnessman

I have since corrected this. It was a mistake on my part related to the movie views. Apologies.

It might be related to ffmpeg too. What do you mean by, they wont play? They just hang on retrieving?

There is fallback support in the app, when it cannot play a video using automatic detection and the videoplayer closes, the app will respawn the videoplayer and enable forced transcoding to make it play. This is what should be occuring. If it is indeed hanging on retreiving, the video player may not close. In this case, the app wont fallback to transcoding. You can choose "force transcoding" and then play those items and it should work. If this also fails, it most definitely is related to ffmpeg.

Just reporting back:

1. Updated and now works again.  No longer shows 0 movies in a genre (or any movie count), but at least it doesn't crash, and selecting a genre pulls up the movies with that genre.

2. Forcing one of the files that wouldn't play to transcode also failed to work (it was a .wmp file, previously worked).  Another which was an .flv file also failed to play trying that ... ended up converting the files I couldn't replace into .mp4 and replacing all non working ones as I've encountered them, I just wish I knew what caused them to no longer work.

@speechels

Fun fact

Last night I was watching the first two episodes of the Good Fight on CBS ALL ACCESS, I must have HIT OK about 6 times to bring up the HUD/OSD to check the time.

Thanks again for that perk.

Indeed.. no problemo senor..

and about that problem with mixing of things in different libraries. I should have time to bash on the keyboard today uninterrupted. I will make use of the time to find out WTF is clearing out the Parent ID. Stay tuned on that aspect.. it will get addressed. :)

Just reporting back:

1. Updated and now works again.  No longer shows 0 movies in a genre (or any movie count), but at least it doesn't crash, and selecting a genre pulls up the movies with that genre.

2. Forcing one of the files that wouldn't play to transcode also failed to work (it was a .wmp file, previously worked).  Another which was an .flv file also failed to play trying that ... ended up converting the files I couldn't replace into .mp4 and replacing all non working ones as I've encountered them, I just wish I knew what caused them to no longer work.

1) Yeah, no totals anymore because the server isn't providing them when you don't also fetch the items. Genres/Studios/Networks doesnt need the items at the row level or it slows down the call. It is when inside the actual genre/studio/network that the items are obtained and required. It isn't worth slowing the app grabbing items just to get the count. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. (girl next door reference :P)

2) Do you happen to have somewhere you could place these files on the internet? I want to be able to see on my end what you mean, and in that can solve that problem. I just need samples of the files, not the entire file, since its files that wont play. Once I see what causes it I will also pass along the info I find out to ebr so officially the preview beta can include it. Sharing is caring. XD

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

@@speechles

"and about that problem with mixing of things in different libraries. I should have time to bash on the keyboard today uninterrupted. I will make use of the time to find out WTF is clearing out the Parent ID. Stay tuned on that aspect.. it will get addressed."

I feel that "issue" is such so small potatoes.

That's a me issues as it's never been reported prior.

I may be the only nitwit you catalogs a library in that much detail.

I tried the Dewy decimal system first, it didn't work for me. 

I feel that "issue" is such so small potatoes.

I see the same issue as you in my TV section. My daughters anime is mixed in. This is one of those long standing inherited from the official app type of bugs. Solving it is like a badge of awesomeness. I want that badge. :)

It isnt the size of the potatoes that matter, its the size of the entree of meat that comes with them. Women know what that statement means. ^__~

Edited by speechles

New Version: v4.13
* add frequently played tile
* various text(count) fixes for server changes
* speed up music endpoints
* fix genres/studios/networks library separation
* add vorbis/mka to directplay audio profile

The frequently played tile uses the Play Count to sort the items in the rows. This works in the same vein as the other "one screen for all" tiles, such as favorites, latest, continue playing, recently played, and random(I feel lucky!). The more an item is played, the closer it gets to the front of frequently played.

The most recent server changes removed item counts for lots of things. These item counts were available before without requesting the items. All that has changed now, the server requires you also fetch the items to populate the item counts. So I've removed most of the needless item fetches that were there just to get item counts. This is unfortunate, but was required to speed up the server, which in turn speeds up the app. Faster isnt always better, but it is what it is.

Some of the music endpoints were fetching both albums and audio to keep item counts consistant. This means items were included in json replies when they werent needed yet, just to get the item counts for albums/tracks/artists. This of course was slowing down the app, but was giving extra info, so was worth doing so at the time. But now, with more recent server updates this has finally affected music albums and music artists. So I've decided to remove all "audio" fetches and just deal with "musicalbum". This speeds up the server queries significantly, so will make rows fill in that much faster when on the music screen. This has no affect on anything else, it is only affecting totals shown.

Added vorbis in mka as directplayable audio. That is, if your roku audio decode information supports it. This was commented out as earlier firmwares broke this ability. Later firmwares now work so why not have it. ;)

..And..the big one saved for last. This goes out to @@mikeraburn ... Finally fixed the separation of libraries when using the genres/studios/networks. Suffice to say, it was because the server doesn't return a parentId with the /genres /studios endpoints. So I take the response those endpoints give me, and then I manually have a foreach loop add the parentId of the library that genre/studio/network was in to each item in the response and presto. Now the app correctly knows which library you are in.. YAY!!

Updated all links, even those zips sideloaders need. So have fun and any issues please be loud and shout them out. Enjoy.

Edited by speechles
  • Like 1

mikeraburn

Cool!

lack of "separation of libraries" also known as ARD, in my case.

"Anal Retentive Disorder"

mikeraburn

This is gonna be a long one, so hold on.

I was expecting my NAS and 1 new 3TB HDD Saturday.

My NAS is going to be a 2 Disk with 2 ea 3TB HDD.

I took the time Friday night after work to move off all of my media / docs / etc off the 5 internal HDDs stuffed in my current case.

That task included figuring out which HDD was the sole boot drive. I used 4 1TB external drives. Noted what was on what, etc etc.

It turns out I am not the media hoarder I thought I was!

So I have room to spare on the the NAS while consolidating dupes on the current server.

I slapped back into the current server one of the 2TB drives and added in some media that was previously known to Emby Server from an external HDD.

The up-shut is, the Emby Server program RECOGNIZED the media I transferred back into the current server, ( A library scan hadn't been performed in-between), AND Blue Neon listed the SUGGESTED episodes I had been watching like nothing had happened.

Proof positive that end users cannot break an EMBY product.

Oh and, the NAS hasn't showed up today, Saturday, as of 5:05 pm.

Edited by mikeraburn

• 2 weeks later...

New Version: 4.14

* add launch/install for emby official/beta app in quick launch

* add transcode w/o directstream option to force methods

* change OSD display to include play method

* change terminology used with force methods

The preview app has graduated. Changed the buttons to properly reflect this, now both Official and Beta buttons will appear in the quick launch row.

Added a new transcoding option to force a full transcoding of the video stream. This means it happens without directstream being possible of either stream in the container. You will never see "directstream" in the servers active devices section when using the "force transcode w/o directstream" (Trans-DS) option. This addresses the "looping after the video ends" issue by cheating a bit. This will check the video bitrate of the item, and then set a maximum of 1 below this. This will force the server to transcode the video stream and acheives the goal, it won't directstream the video stream this way. This will use more CPU as it isn't copying the stream, it is re-encoding the stream entirely.

2abf8854dc435dff2aad72f9d4739a79.jpg

Also changed the terminology in the app to better reflect what is actually happening. This should reduce all the confusion if there ever was any. No longer is there a "force directplay" or "force directstream" option. Instead there is a single "force direct" option. This was done on purpose, as there is a limit on the amount of buttons possible to show in a dialog. So had to remove something to make room for the extra "force transcode" option. The "force directplay" never worked properly because of roku's network restrictions so is okay to comment out (read as remove) at this point. This also means in the OSD there will only be "Direct" or "Transcode" ever shown. I also made the OSD easier to read by inserting plenty of newlines. It will also show the play method on the OSD, such as "Direct @ Auto-Detection" or "Transcode @ Trans-DS" or "Fallback Transcode @ Force Direct". Having the play method show here helps jog the memory as to what exactly the play method is at that moment without having to leave the videoplayer.

82cb91579b71ee688504de70ca209830.jpg

Updated all links in first post, even zips. Enjoy :)

Edited by speechles

mikeraburn

There seems to be an issue in the HUD as shown above.

What red blooded man watches ANYTHING with Scarlett Johansson in ANYTHING but a minimum of 720p HD resolution?

• Like 3

mediacowboy

What red blooded man watches ANYTHING with Scarlett Johansson in ANYTHING but a minimum of 720p HD resolution?

It is SNL. [emoji12]

mikeraburn

THAT is what the mute button is for.....

Like when Joe Buck is calling football games.

Isnt she half your.. well, lets not go there.. she is over 18 and thats all that matters...

Yeah, was bad example but that is what I was watching when I snagged the osd/hud screen shot. I will be more diligent when it comes to providing more, noted..lol.. apologies.. lmao.. roflcopter lollerskates

• Like 1

mikeraburn

I think there is an error in your quick launch. For real, not teasing.

I DO NOT have Emby Beta installed.

Just YOURS and the old one.

Your tiles are flipped flopped in description.

It says I can launch the BETA, which I do not have installed.

When I execute it, it launches the old one.

@@mikeraburn oh snap, I see that now. I crossed my wires. The viewcontroller has them backwards, the homescreen has them correct. Lemme fix that dumb mistake..lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

sstahl

Blue Neon Night on emby v4.14 is crashing back to home screen on Roku 3 & 4 when I play live tv. I am running windows Emby server Version 3.2.7.0. It was working on prior versions of emby server and Blue Neon Night prior to March 12th. Is there a fix or an adjustment?