Android Mobile

Redshirt

visata

Is that possible to disable transcoding completely? Transcoding is not something my old server can handle smoothly. I will upgrade it soon but I see no need to do any transcoding since my android phone (nexus 5) can play any video file without any issues via samba shares. I want to use emby as my media organizer. Even when I use web client, files are being transcoded too.

I tried plex server with plex android client and they seem to have this option on their client (enable direct play).

If emby doesn't provide such option, can I maybe some code changes in order to disable it completely till it's available in emby? Or maybe some other turnarounds...?

PS I used path substitutions, disabled HSL support, added max 40mbps bit rate, added a profile with direct play all video/audio codecs... nothing can override this.

you can disable transcoding access on the server for individual users. the app will then give you a friendly error message if it is unable to direct play the content.

regiotech

you can disable transcoding access on the server for individual users. the app will then give you a friendly error message if it is unable to direct play the content.

Hi Luke , i dont have check yet, Is the friendly message released for the android app??

best regards

• 3 weeks later...
ABNParatrooper

Hi with theatre mode turned on, the trailers play fine, but the main movie I want to actually watch does not start when the trailer ends. On Emby theatre on my pc, once the trailers end, the movies start automatically. Any help with this is greatly appreciated

Hi with theatre mode turned on, the trailers play fine, but the main movie I want to actually watch does not start when the trailer ends. On Emby theatre on my pc, once the trailers end, the movies start automatically. Any help with this is greatly appreciated

what version of the app?

ABNParatrooper

The latest version 2.2.90, I literally just downloaded it from the play store. I also removed the prior version before installing this one.

Hi Luke , i dont have check yet, Is the friendly message released for the android app??

best regards

Yes it is.

How come it doesn't respect the custom CSS. I mean, its now identical to the web browser. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. In this case, not being able to edit things away such as "poster card" and "popup thing-a-majig" makes this a bad thing. I am speechless... Get it. Haw. Irony.

But yeah, why isn't it respect a way to hate on "card view" and "popup" and abolish them into a deep dark abyss? Please. Thanks. The world thanks you.

AM S1

The new version downloaded today it look good i like it !! but.. the last one i like it too maybe and looks like more integrated with android 

but i need to install the previous version, because, the new one is slow and the worse thing is that i can't play any video at all,just the player does not playback 

:( 

i kknow that is the first release, but simply i cant do the basic function playback

I will send some logs tomorrow for now i will back with the latest version

regards

dark_slayer

Trying out the new version. Slick! Sync is here

Haven't tested playback just yet, but manually firing my first sync job

One early nitpick . . . the home/latest/nextup/favorites used to be "swipe-able" . . . meaning you could swipe between each section (nice). With the latest stable version that is missing. You have to touch latest or favorites, etc to get to that section (yuck) ;-) hey I said it was nitpicky, not a functional roadblock by any means. It was nicer swiping between them though

ABNParatrooper

For me the movies playing after the trailers is working now. Be nice if there was a way to manage theatre mode per device. I know it can be managed by profile. I love the trailers before movies feature, but I think I do without it on my phone. Not a deal breaker, but be nice to be able to do that. Thanks for all the work put into this. As an IT person (desktop engineer) I can appreciate all the hard work put into making applications work.

Magnus33

Looks very nice.

Its a good blend of some of the android tv elements and the android environment itself.

Seen no slow downs with the new versions and playback is fine.

• Like 1

Trying out the new version. Slick! Sync is here

Haven't tested playback just yet, but manually firing my first sync job

One early nitpick . . . the home/latest/nextup/favorites used to be "swipe-able" . . . meaning you could swipe between each section (nice). With the latest stable version that is missing. You have to touch latest or favorites, etc to get to that section (yuck) ;-) hey I said it was nitpicky, not a functional roadblock by any means. It was nicer swiping between them though

yes that will get done

It would be nice if photo slideshow is implemented instead of browsing photos manually. Great job, thanks.

Regards,

DaN

AshranPewter

Not sure if this is the best place to do this but usually when I make my own threads they seem to be ignored. One if the main things that i loved about the app before was that i could control the volume of my chromecast with just the rocker on the side of my phone without turning the screen on. In general, I think the control scheme for use with chromecast has taken a huge downfall in usability with this update as it's now just a straight copy of the mobile web control. It defeats the purpose of a native app not to have a native control scheme..

inkubux

Hi guys,

The new android mobile is acting strange on my nexus 4.

Most of the times views are empty and won't load properly. On example the Movies/Movies shows a spining circle almost everytime.

When I switch back to the Home and go back to the movies section 1 time out of 2 It will shows movies poster and the other time a spinning circle.

On my nexus 9 it happens less often but still sometimes.

The app feels a lot more laggy on my N4. The new app is almost not usable on this device.

I know it's the first version and it will get updated and I know the N4 is an old device but A lot of other devices are worse than it.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, I just wanted to share my experience.

I will probably build the old version with Android studio in the meantime for my nexus 4.

On my N9 I was using a custom App made from the web version with a tool online because the old app on was always locking/freezing. So the new version is pretty much the same as the web version and It work well. It does not feel native but it's usable.

Thanks for all your efforts

Edited by inkubux
  • Like 1

Sp3kt3r

First, Thx for the update :)

I also have a Nexus 4 and I agree inkubux, the apps feel not native, more like a web interface (maybe that was the idea) and I'm ok with this but it feels, buggy.

Here's the main thing I noticed

-Chromecast control doesn't work well (Volume doesn't work, I can't switch language, sometime pause doesn't work)

-If I switch apps while playing something, when I come back to Emby, the apps is not connected to chromecast, I need to switch back to play on device and switch back to chromecast to get control back.

-My views used to have the small thumbnail and now they match the web version but I personally prefer the small version (banner thumbnail). We should have an option to decide :)

I will continue testing, It's usable but not enough to not have my laptop around.

I"m sure the apps will just get better since the primary release is done.

Edited by Sp3kt3r

inkubux

Hi guys,

The new android mobile is acting strange on my nexus 4.

Most of the times views are empty and won't load properly. On example the Movies/Movies shows a spining circle almost everytime.

When I switch back to the Home and go back to the movies section 1 time out of 2 It will shows movies poster and the other time a spinning circle.

On my nexus 9 it happens less often but still sometimes.

The app feels a lot more laggy on my N4. The new app is almost not usable on this device.

I know it's the first version and it will get updated and I know the N4 is an old device but A lot of other devices are worse than it.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, I just wanted to share my experience.

I will probably build the old version with Android studio in the meantime for my nexus 4.

On my N9 I was using a custom App made from the web version with a tool online because the old app on was always locking/freezing. So the new version is pretty much the same as the web version and It work well. It does not feel native but it's usable.

Thanks for all your efforts

It seems that on Mobile data I have less issues with empty views. It is probably related to caching of the Web views. In any case caching seems to help. I just thought I'd let you know.

Thanks a lot

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sp3kt3r

Luke mentioned in another thread that this is technically the version 1.0 so we can expect bug but they will get resolve quickly so let's test, report and improve ! :)

• Like 1

It is a new beginning, and there's nothing that can't be done. So we will obviously resolve the issues first and then we'll see what new things are important to you guys after that.

• Like 2

bmaccollum

I have a question about the android app. Is there no way to designate a download directory on a an external SD card instead of the internal memory?

I have a question about the android app. Is there no way to designate a download directory on a an external SD card instead of the internal memory?

It's coming real soon.

• Like 1

jamvids

Okay, a bit of testing done,

If using the remote or playing music in landscape the buttons disappear off the bottom of the screen and you can't scroll to them, but don't really want to have to scroll every time I want the next track, especially while driving (also a lot of car head units are becoming android, whetting my whistle).

If you are in remote/music and put the device on charge the screen becomes unresponsive, but no crash. You can press back and carry on. (Xperia Z2)

Bluetooth controls have disappeared, (play, pause, next track)

iam4uk

Since the app is basically now just the web interface, and since pressing the "back" button/icon on an Android device in this new app goes back through every screen yet seen, I respectfully suggest an "Exit App" feature would be of value. It might logically go in the menu beneath "Sign Out."