Android Mobile

Redshirt

Deihmos

The android app has been a let down and I got it since day one. It just does not work very well. The Windows Phone app works really well but I don't use that as a daily driver. Maybe windows phone is just easier to develop.

Some of my issues include video stopping if I try to jump, the video timer is not accurate, lockups and video sometimes wouldn't play.

MSattler

The android app has been a let down and I got it since day one. It just does not work very well. The Windows Phone app works really well but I don't use that as a daily driver. Maybe windows phone is just easier to develop.

Some of my issues include video stopping if I try to jump, the video timer is not accurate, lockups and video sometimes wouldn't play.

Functionally I have had almost no issues playing back content.  Whether it's local or remote, it plays back pretty much all content that has been thrown at it.  It does lack a search ability, and sorting through a large library is a bit time consuming.  

With the lockups, remember that most content it will be playing back is being transcoded, so that will sometimes limit how far ahead you can seek, etc.  Have you tried using an external player like MX player to see if that resolves the issue or if it persists?  That would be a good test to see if it's just the Emby Android app, or if perhaps you have other environmental issues.

Magnus33

Playback  i had no major issues with although it does need fine tuneing.

The app itself is a mess though as the layout for moblie is a disaster and the tv layout even worse.

The new update that supports devices with 5.0 andoird or higher looks much better but many devices dont run this which still leaves the majority behind.

iam4uk

Boxsets seem to be ignored now in the Android client. I've set my preferences for folder view, and have my movies organized in genre-specific folders, with subordinate groups of movies denoted by [boxset] as per server protocols. Before the latest update (from Media Browser for Android to Emby for Android), these boxsets were displayed properly; now they are not apparent at all, but their individual items are all shown at the "higher" level in the folders.

Please explain and indicate if there is a setting I am missing to restore this necessary functionality.

Thank you.

Boxsets seem to be ignored now in the Android client. I've set my preferences for folder view, and have my movies organized in genre-specific folders, with subordinate groups of movies denoted by [boxset] as per server protocols. Before the latest update (from Media Browser for Android to Emby for Android), these boxsets were displayed properly; now they are not apparent at all, but their individual items are all shown at the "higher" level in the folders.

Please explain and indicate if there is a setting I am missing to restore this necessary functionality.

Thank you.

They should appear consistently with the web client, so that would be the first thing to look at.

iam4uk

They should appear consistently with the web client, so that would be the first thing to look at.

Thank you for the response. I understand your observation that boxsets should appear consistently in the web client and the android client.

Having checked the web client and the android client, boxsets do not appear consistently from one to the other.

In the web client, boxsets are handled correctly as always.

In the android client, boxsets are ignored, and their subordinate contents are displayed as if they were at that "higher" level in the folder/file structure.

Ideas?

Thank you for the response. I understand your observation that boxsets should appear consistently in the web client and the android client.

Having checked the web client and the android client, boxsets do not appear consistently from one to the other.

In the web client, boxsets are handled correctly as always.

In the android client, boxsets are ignored, and their subordinate contents are displayed as if they were at that "higher" level in the folder/file structure.

Ideas?

what screen is doing this? can you give an example?

iam4uk

Library screen.

Example:  Under my folder called "Action," I have a subfolder called "Bourne Collection [boxset]"

Previously, in all clients, under the Action portion of the Library, I saw "Bourne Collection" as one element. Since I have CoverArt, it was also bordered in a boxset-specific outline. Selecting "Bourne Collection" resulted in seeing the four movies I have in the library that are part of that [boxset].

Now, in Media Browser Classic in WMC, that behavior is unchanged. But in Emby for android, there is no "Bourne Collection" at all in the library, while all four subordinate movie items appear in the library at the top of their folder (Action).

I would offer a screenshot, but Emby for android no longer even displays any content in the library, since today. The behavior described here was observed yesterday upon updating that application.

truthfully that is more likely the server. i am sure this issue would not occur with the collections created in the web interface, although i will test to make sure. it's the old style collections with [boxset] that are not really getting much testing anymore, so I would expect quirky behavior with them. Really with folder-based boxsets, you're getting the internet metadata but the newer features such as collapsing are really only being tested with collections built using the web interface. we'll change that if users push us in that direction but right now the vast majority of people are adopting the easier method, so that's where our time and testing is focusing on.

iam4uk

What "easier method?"

I have hundreds of movies organized in folders by genre, and subordinate folders for boxsets as per the instructions to set up a Media Browser server.

It may be irrelevant for all but MB Classic, as no other client works at the moment.

The genre folders are fine, and the [boxset] folders are fine for the purpose of simple navigation. If you can't even navigate into those areas then that's a problem we can fix.

But for the newer features like collapsing boxset titles, those really depend on boxsets created with the web interface.

iam4uk

I can navigate to [boxset] folders in MB Classic within WMC. Those folders contain the movies that are part of the boxset, as appropriate.

I cannot navigate to [boxset] folders in Emby for android.

Actually, as of today, I can't do anything in Emby for android other than watch it whirl indefinitely at the "Folders" screen with no displayed content.

Can you point me to information on "collapsing boxset titles" and "creating boxsets via the web interface?"

Thanks.

iam4uk

Another odd data point:

I had mentioned that boxsets show correctly in the web interface. That's true on my Cinema PC that is a client, looking at the web interface via Firefox. It's also true on my HTC One m8 Android phone, looking at the web interface via Dolphin Browser. It is NOT the case on my PC that is the MB Server, looking at the web interface via Firefox.

Cannot understand why that is the case, but it is. Maybe it will be a clue in figuring out why some clients no longer see content as expected.

iam4uk

Following up on the "Boxset" versus "Collection" thing, since I brought it up here:  I put in the hours to eliminate my "[boxset]" folder structures and use Metadata "Collections" via the Auto Box Set Plugin and manually. (The plugin got about 40% correct, so there is much work on the manual entry...)

Behavior is comparable to what I used to get with the "[boxset]" method, so that "problem" I reported was just my lack of awareness that the program had changed so much as to render all my previous work useless. I'm with the new method now, and it works as advertised.

Thanks.

Deihmos

Functionally I have had almost no issues playing back content.  Whether it's local or remote, it plays back pretty much all content that has been thrown at it.  It does lack a search ability, and sorting through a large library is a bit time consuming.  

With the lockups, remember that most content it will be playing back is being transcoded, so that will sometimes limit how far ahead you can seek, etc.  Have you tried using an external player like MX player to see if that resolves the issue or if it persists?  That would be a good test to see if it's just the Emby Android app, or if perhaps you have other environmental issues.

Consider yourself lucky. Based on the reviews I am not the only one experiencing issues. Most of the time when I try to play remotely all I get is a spinning circle then it stops and crashes the phone or app. It works locally.  Maybe the app is not compatible with Android 5.0+

transcode-fff5c09c-6e8e-4c0a-b672-0611c7f6f423.txt

server-63564905378.txt

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

I disabled HLS support then the video played and no more lock ups. You may want to take a look at this and disable it by default. Maybe this is the cause of of the stability problems so many have been experiencing.

Edited by Deihmos

I disabled HLS support then the video played and no more lock ups. You may want to take a look at this and disable it by default. Maybe this is the cause of of the stability problems so many have been experiencing.

actually it appears to be something else. something is leading to bad params being sent into ffmpeg. so this is likely an easy fix. what is your configured bitrate setting in the app?

Deihmos

It is set at the default 850Kb which is actually very low. I have been having this issue for months to the point that I gave up and installed another software. I tested a few videos and they all play fine with Hls disabled.

the server prints out three playlist options in the hls manifest with the first at 850 and the next two at lower bitrates. the client video player is choosing the lowest one, but the server is subtracting too much from the original 850 and a negative value is being passed into ffmpeg. i've just put up server dev build 3.0.5585.39613 that resolves this if you want to grab it and give it a shot.

Deihmos

I tried the developer version and the video played with HLS enabled.

It looks like disabling HLS is causing the audio to cut out so I will leave it enabled. Thank you for fixing this.

Edited by Deihmos

Ok guys, with the update that was pushed yesterday, along with the one this morning, you can see there's a lot of work being done on the mobile app right now. So please leave your comments and suggestions and help shape the future design.

With the android tv app newly released:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.emby.embyatv

Along with some hints dropped about Fire TV, it's good times for android right now :)

CashMoney

Ok guys, with the update that was pushed yesterday, along with the one this morning, you can see there's a lot of work being done on the mobile app right now. So please leave your comments and suggestions and help shape the future design.

With the android tv app newly released:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=tv.emby.embyatv

Along with some hints dropped about Fire TV, it's good times for android right now :)

Ok, so in the store it says it's compatible with all my devices, installed it on a 4.2 tablet (hudl) and no sign of it to even open it. I thought this app was for lollipop android tv only? Had a friend try it on his 4.4 box connected to his tv, exactly the same thing.

Or is that the point of this? :)

Ok, so in the store it says it's compatible with all my devices, installed it on a 4.2 tablet (hudl) and no sign of it to even open it. I thought this app was for lollipop android tv only? Had a friend try it on his 4.4 box connected to his tv, exactly the same thing.

Or is that the point of this? :)

The android tv app is for android tv devices, such as the nexus player. Why the store lets you install for others I'm not exactly sure, but in a few days it will be a moot point. Or are you talking about the mobile app?