Android Mobile

Redshirt

CashMoney

To my mind the android app and the android TV app are different ... er ... apps. As this was a thread about the android app and not the android TV app I was confused as to why it was posted here, and since it was "compatible" I tried installing it :P

i was just trying to make the point that the android platform as a whole has our full attention right now. so you're going to be seeing a lot of activity with every form factor.

• Like 3

lexisdude

Have purchased the android client, and it seemed to be working fine until the update from Mediabrowser to Emby. Now, when I go to open the client , it takes me through the Emby Connect pages, but when I click on skip to go to connect to my server manually, the app immediately crashes. The log does not give any information regarding the crash, but I have attached it anyhow.

My specs are as follows:

Device: Toshiba Thrive AT100
Android Version: 4.1.2 / CyanogenMod build CM10
CPU: ARMv7 rev:0
Memory: 720MB

924b945c-0978-44a6-ab49-f569307eb4a6.log

Edited by lexisdude
  • Like 1

lexisdude

Clearing the app data and cache fixed that for me. You should try it.

I have tried that - even uninstalling, cleaning and deleting the emby directory did no good. The only thing I haven't tried yet is clearing the dalvik but I shouldn't have to do that I wouldn't think.

Edited by lexisdude

The log has nothing in it. I'm afraid there's not enough info here for me to go on. I'm not even sure this is a problem with the app. The one thing I can say is that during that part of the log we're printing out various system diagnostics info that we get from various android api's. I wonder if they are failing under CyanogenMod and causing the app to just close. 

lexisdude

The log has nothing in it. I'm afraid there's not enough info here for me to go on. I'm not even sure this is a problem with the app. The one thing I can say is that during that part of the log we're printing out various system diagnostics info that we get from various android api's. I wonder if they are failing under CyanogenMod and causing the app to just close. 

You might be on to something there, as CM is used in a lot of modded devices. My android phone has no problem with Emby, only my tablet. The only thing I don't get is why the MB client worked great, and the Emby crashes. Was there that substancial of a change in it? I would think that if MB worked , that Emby should as well - but you all could probably answer that one better than I.

It depends on when you can confirm the last time that it was working for you. If it was yesterday then that's one thing. If it was weeks ago then I'm not sure what to say because development has been ongoing. We did have to start using a build technique called MultiDex so you will want to make sure CM supports that.

lexisdude

It has been since the first major release of Emby. I will get a question out to the CM devs, but unfortunately if that is the case - the thrive's CM dev support is no longer working on any new builds and the only option for me in this case would be to revert back to a toshiba build , which would take me back to gingerbread. lol

then the MultiDex thing is not it because that is brand new as of the last couple days. so nevermind on that.

lexisdude

Well from everything I have read; CM did not start adding MultiDex support until Lollipop .. Boo.. And I know that since multidex is newer, there are no builds that are or will be supported in the future.
Anything below CM12.1 will not have multidex support unless the CM mods handling a specific device, has retrofitted earlier builds with it. Lollipop is the first build to natively support MultiDex. Since you all are developing the apk , there are support libraries which can be included for backwards compatability to older versions of android that do not have native multidex so cross compatability shouldn't be an issue there.

The EMBY application does come up, its only when I click the skip (for manual connect) or enter a user name and password and click sign in that it crashes to my desktop. For a brief moment it says "Connecting" .

I did try wiping the dalvik and also the system cache on my tablet, neither made any difference. I also tried changing the launcher and killing all background applications. No difference either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edited by lexisdude

lexisdude

Well from everything I have read; CM did not start adding MultiDex support until Lollipop .. Boo.. And I know that since multidex is newer, there are no builds that are or will be supported in the future.

Anything below CM12.1 will not have multidex support unless the CM mods handling a specific device, has retrofitted earlier builds with it. Lollipop is the first build to natively support MultiDex. Since you all are developing the apk , there are support libraries which can be included for backwards compatability to older versions of android that do not have native multidex so cross compatability shouldn't be an issue there.

The EMBY application does come up, its only when I click the skip (for manual connect) or enter a user name and password and click sign in that it crashes to my desktop. For a brief moment it says "Connecting" .

I did try wiping the dalvik and also the system cache on my tablet, neither made any difference. I also tried changing the launcher and killing all background applications. No difference either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is there a way that I can revert back to the old apk - I mean, I would rather have something that works on my tablet rather than nothing at all, even if I cannot receive updates for it.

Ok so I went digging a little more to see if I could gain any logged information from the app in the system, and I pulled up the tombstone file for the application, which I am attaching here. It does give an error reference but I do not know what it is. Maybe one of you can shed light for it.

tombstone_02.txt

Edited by lexisdude

Deihmos

During video playback there is an icon to skip forward but nothing to skip back. Instead, there is an icon to skip back to the beginning. Why wouldn't you have an icon to skip back instead? I am having a lot of trouble ff and rewinding or jumping to a point. Most of the time it stalls. It seems after every server or app update it breaks something.

Edited by Deihmos

MrFlibbles

I have read through many threads but cannot find a definitive answer to what happened to the "TV layout" option. It no longer appears on the mobile client. I know there are many developments currently in the Android space, what is the solution for Android 4.x TV sticks on bigger screens?

• Like 1

I have read through many threads but cannot find a definitive answer to what happened to the "TV layout" option. It no longer appears on the mobile client. I know there are many developments currently in the Android space, what is the solution for Android 4.x TV sticks on bigger screens?

Check out the blog. We have dedicated tv apps for android tv and fire tv. For 4.x we have another announcement coming any day now.

As for the layouts that were in this app, they were built by the previous developer and we were not happy with them. We wanted to start fresh and that's what we did. When all is said and done we will have TV coverage for 4.x and up.

• Like 3

MrFlibbles

Check out the blog. We have dedicated tv apps for android tv and fire tv. For 4.x we have another announcement coming any day now.

As for the layouts that were in this app, they were built by the previous developer and we were not happy with them. We wanted to start fresh and that's what we did. When all is said and done we will have TV coverage for 4.x and up.

Great, thanks Luke. I did see the blog entries for the dedicated TV apps but was concerned that 4.x may miss out on a TV layout, particularly after the re-name to "Emby Mobile". Look forward to using the 4.x release.

• Like 3

Ok team. I've moved all topics relating to Android TV and Fire TV to our new forum section dedicated to those apps.

If you have not yet seen those apps and are still connecting the mobile app to a tv, then you can learn more about those apps here:

http://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-android-tv/

http://emby.media/downloads/emby-for-fire-tv/

And also by checking blog posts from the past month.

• Like 1

Great, thanks Luke. I did see the blog entries for the dedicated TV apps but was concerned that 4.x may miss out on a TV layout, particularly after the re-name to "Emby Mobile". Look forward to using the 4.x release.

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/blog/1/entry-197-emby-for-android-tv-update-now-on-any-422-device/

• Like 1

There you have it. We now have a TV app for Android 4.2.2+.

This shows compatible with my nexus 7 2013, but it never creates the icon in my app tray to start it. On the nexus I have slimport over HDMI connected to the television and ps3 remote as controller. Anyone know why this doesn't allow running the application, just downloading it?

Edited by speechles

This shows compatible with my nexus 7 2013, but it never creates the icon in my app tray to start it. On the nexus I have slimport over HDMI connected to the television and ps3 remote as controller. Anyone know why this doesn't allow running the application, just downloading it?

Probably a manifest issue as we haven't had many people try on a non-ATV device yet.  Please take this over to the Android TV forum though.

pünktchen

This shows compatible with my nexus 7 2013, but it never creates the icon in my app tray to start it.

Same for me with a Lenovo Yoga Tablet 2 Pro. Can install the app but no icon is shown. Even with an app manager i cannot start the app [emoji20]