live tv

dylanrellis

What is everyone's cablecard tuner of choice? I'm shopping around for one at this time since TV support is in the future for MBT. 

I have the HDHomerun Prime so that I can use a CableCard with 3 tuners.  I have seen it as low as $99.

jasonmcroy

Why "Timers"?  Isn't "Scheduled Recording" a much more descriptive term?  

I agree with you on this. It always confused me when I used to use XBMC with any Live TV backend as that is what it's called when you're in XBMC. I never understood it completely.

ernstgot

What is everyone's cablecard tuner of choice? I'm shopping around for one at this time since TV support is in the future for MBT. 

Ceton makes great tuners, one problem tho they don't support DLNA at this time but they do offer more tuners than silicon dust.

Has media portal been considered their TV server 3.5 supports many tuners that have CI whereas the other do not.  That way we can watch channels on the HTPC that we paid for. Having access to one interface would be so convenient.  

LeftForPlex

Ceton makes great tuners, one problem tho they don't support DLNA at this time but they do offer more tuners than silicon dust.

I started with a Ceton and moved to HD HomeRun's.  While the Ceton provides more tuners per card <4 vs 3>, the dynamic pooling the HD Homerun has, vs the ceton's static pooling makes a world of difference.  I have two HD Homerun Prime's and so I shared 6 tuner's across 6 difference PC's in the house.  Most of the time we only have 1-3 tuners being accessed at once.  With the Ceton, it was just a pain since the pooling/mapping was static to specific PC's.  So if that tuner was not being used by the assigned PC, no other PC could use it.

Anyone want to buy a Ceton tuner card? =)

kreeturez
Has media portal been considered their TV server 3.5 supports many tuners that have CI whereas the other do not. That way we can watch channels on the HTPC that we paid for. Having access to one interface would be so convenient.

MediaPortal is more mature and definitely does offer better hardware tuner support than, say NextPVR: and in my case, I've actually reverted from NPVR back to MediaPortal since I've found the latter more reliable.

BUT: MediaPortal is a pain to set up, and has a lot of dependencies including MySQL (even if they are installed automatically as part of the installer).

So while I'd love to see MP support added, I understand why the MB3 team would start with NextPVR since it's closer to MediaBrowser's general simplicity and 'one-click-install' model.

kreeturez
is there a media portal developer you think might be interested in doing it?

Sure - the dev behind the XBMC MP plugin may very well be interested...

Talented fellow, goes by 'Margro' on the XBMC forums. I'll PM him to point him here...

Edited by kreeturez

MediaPortal is more mature and definitely does offer better hardware tuner support than, say NextPVR: and in my case, I've actually reverted from NPVR back to MediaPortal since I've found the latter more reliable. BUT: MediaPortal is a pain to set up, and has a lot of dependencies including MySQL (even if they are installed automatically as part of the installer). So while I'd love to see MP support added, I understand why the MB3 team would start with NextPVR since it's closer to MediaBrowser's general simplicity and 'one-click-install' model.

is there a media portal developer you think might be interested in doing it?

wally007

I just registered to post support for Live TV in general and in support of anything but NPVR. As far as I could see, NVPR does not support IPTV or any sort of network tuner (Dreambox, Vu+, HDHomeRun, IPTV providers... ).

I've been using Plex since OSXBMC days, bought lifetime plexpass, bought all clients i could get my hands on and I think it's greatest thing since VCR... but until Live TV is implemented I will always be looking for alternatives and that's how I found MB3 :-)

At the moment I'm using DVBLink->MCE for LiveTV and Plex launcher for everything else. 

Sure - the dev behind the XBMC MP plugin may very well be interested... Talented fellow, goes by 'Margro' on the XBMC forums. I'll PM him to point him here...

Excellent. Go get him.

wally007

next pvr supports network tuners

Couldnt find any info that it does but on 4th page in their hardware subforum there seems to be discussion about HDHomerun tuners ... so i guess it does :-)

Thanks for heads up and good luck !

Will DLNA be an integral part of MB3? Or is it more of a luxury like being able to stream to smart tvs

Will DLNA be an integral part of MB3? Or is it more of a luxury like being able to stream to smart tvs

ernstgot

As of right now I haven't heard anything about DLNA.  But anything is possible.

We want to be able to get on smart TVs but I don't think DLNA is the best way (unless you are talking about play to instead of browse).  Chromecast would also help here.

I'm not a fan of "back ends." It's generally a config nightmare unless you're technically savvy. I'd love a server that integrates DVR and includes full cablecard/premium content support. But that's a costly endeavour. You'd need a PlayReady license and they are not cheap.

If the entire TV stack were on the server, the clients could be thin. That would be nice.

The latest TV backends are dead simple to set up...it is absolutely the best way for MBT to gain Live TV support. In my opinion, anybody going to the effort to have a network share, MB backend etc. with a MBT has more than enough technical ability to implement a TV backend (especially NextPVR or DVBLogic, both very simple)....

Edited by smacrae1970

Kickstarter or some sort of crowd-funding for a PlayReady license??? We don't have copy protection in the uk but i bet a lot of US users would like to see that...

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No, better to use an already released backed (such as NextPVR) that has taken care of all that and MBT just takes care of being the interface to various different backends...if your backend is PlayReady and MBT supports your backend than you have a solution. Then MBT can concentrate on more important things than supporting a TV Server for dozens of different counties, EPG blah blah...

Edited by smacrae1970
  • Like 2

No, better to use an already released backed (such as NextPVR) that has taken care of all that and MBT just takes care of being the interface to various different backends...if your backend is PlayReady and MBT supports your backend than you have a solution. Then MBT can concentrate on more important things than supporting a TV Server for dozens of different counties, EPG blah blah...

exactly.

I hope we might get a new years gift

I am afraid it will not be a new years gift. Everything is going well.

But ....