Emby Theater

Luke

You guys may not have noticed, but if you press Esc on the home page you get a nifty menu that allows you to exit the app, shutdown, etc.

I have reached out to the developer to ask him to support all of the "back" inputs that we recognize so that you won't have to use the Esc key. But it looks great. He did a nice job on it.

Redshirt

That popup also works on my harmony remote which should be sending the same back command that the MCE remote would send.

Edited by Redshirt

You guys may not have noticed, but if you press Esc on the home page you get a nifty menu that allows you to exit the app, shutdown, etc.

I tried this, but nothing happened. I checked my version: 3.0.5143.14952 and it was up to date. I switched to Dev level and the information still said up to date. (Also after shutting down etc.)

I went to the website and redownloaded the installer and version 3.0.5160.26005 was installed so somehow the automatic update failed.

I do have the function now, and it does look good! I do however wonder if I would want this as the last step back, I think I would rather have the main screen as last step when no function (movie or music) is activr and otherwise switch between the playback and the ui. At this moment reverting back to a video isn't so easy as you have to navigate to a little item on the top row of the ui (I only use a remote)

That popup also works on my harmony remote which should be sending the same back command that the MCE remote would send.

Yes, I noticed that too, that's the backspace key.

Koleckai Silvestri

I do have the function now, and it does look good! I do however wonder if I would want this as the last step back, I think I would rather have the main screen as last step when no function (movie or music) is activr and otherwise switch between the playback and the ui. At this moment reverting back to a video isn't so easy as you have to navigate to a little item on the top row of the ui (I only use a remote)

It only pops the menu up for me when it is the absolutely last step. If I go into the six season of a television series, pressing ESC takes me back until I am at the main startup page and then it shows the menu.

Yes, that's what I mean. I don't find that logical, I hope this behaviour will be configurable as I always use the sleep button on my remote. If I want to exit/shutdown/reboot I can use the menu. Preferably pressing back on the main screen would take me back to the playing item, kinda like the 'now playing' button in wmc.

space2001

awesome Job on MTB.

I would love to help but don't have that much Experience with C#.

Some playing around I was thinking of some improvements but some things I did for my self to share.  Still working on the scrolling direct to letters.53024d8474973_1.jpg53024d8fac5e4_2.jpg

Hopefully once I get the hang of it or get some help I will hopefully build my own theme.

Edited by space2001
  • Like 5

space2001

your theme looks good, i like how you've added another row of posters. and great idea with the A-Z

Just mainly playing around, trying to modify the main theme. Just trying to simplify the UI as is takes to long to get to the actual movie/tv show.

Jdiesel

Just mainly playing around, trying to modify the main theme. Just trying to simplify the UI as is takes to long to get to the actual movie/tv show.

It looks good. I like the three rows of movie posters versus one row. When you have 2000+ movies it makes browsing a lot easier. Did you have to have to make changes to the source and compile or are you able to just able to edit the existing files? I can't wait until a few more basic features are added and the skinning takes off.

space2001

It looks good. I like the three rows of movie posters versus one row. When you have 2000+ movies it makes browsing a lot easier. Did you have to have to make changes to the source and compile or are you able to just able to edit the existing files? I can't wait until a few more basic features are added and the skinning takes off.

I downloaded the source and compiled it. Right now I made changes to the main theme.

Goals that I trying to do as I mentioned above is to streamline getting to what I want.  For me the info is great but I don't need it unless I want it.

right when I get to my movie or tv show I just want to play it, skip the info screen.  So I am planning on making so I can bypass it. Then if I want the info screen to come up I hit * like you would in a movie now.

Goal as well to either only show the movies with letter or scroll to that part.

This may take me a while since I have not much experience with C#.  I am more graphics Background. Also just playing around with it.

• Like 1

Koleckai Silvestri

Instead of showing the letters on the screen all the time, it might be worthy to have a button or keypress to bring them up. Say the down arrow on the remote or the channel down button. Page Down on a keyboard would work for those using them.

Would also be interesting if you could use "Next Chapter" to skip to the next letter as well. Previous chapter goes back a letter. Shift+Arrows on the keyboard could do the same thing.

I don't actually have a remote right now so don't know what keys you can repurpose and when. Just throwing out ideas.

I would not advise spending too much time trying to implement significant changes to the theme for a while, as there are likely large changes incoming. You are free to do so, but just a heads up. Suggestions and design mockups are always welcome though.

space2001

From my 2 screens the letters are not always there. if you hit the down arrow it will pop it up. then you can just choose a letter and it will go there.

space2001

I would not advise spending too much time trying to implement significant changes to the theme for a while, as there are likely large changes incoming. You are free to do so, but just a heads up. Suggestions and design mockups are always welcome though.

I would love to work with you on the design of the UI, just let me know.

• Like 1

Instead of showing the letters on the screen all the time, it might be worthy to have a button or keypress to bring them up. Say the down arrow on the remote or the channel down button. Page Down on a keyboard would work for those using them.

Would also be interesting if you could use "Next Chapter" to skip to the next letter as well. Previous chapter goes back a letter. Shift+Arrows on the keyboard could do the same thing.

I don't actually have a remote right now so don't know what keys you can repurpose and when. Just throwing out ideas.

I have been looking paging and single char jumping in the default theme. The paging is quite complex as has we have various scenarios depending on what view we are using (poster, list, wall, etc) and

how many items are in the current view (>40 we switch to virtual ListBox). We want to keep the smooth scrolling, which is very complex to implement.

Also we are also in the process of updating the keydown handling, so for example, if you press the play button when you are on a selected item, you can bypass the info screen and go straight to the player.

Virtualised, smooth animated scrolling, wrapping stack and wrap panels are on my todo list, but quite a long way down.

Anyone else unable to skip forward or go through chapters in 3.0.5161? For me it sends it back to start of movie!

Did not notice this on 3.0.5160.

awesome Job on MTB.

I would love to help but don't have that much Experience with C#.

Some playing around I was thinking of some improvements but some things I did for my self to share.  Still working on the scrolling direct to letters.

Hopefully once I get the hang of it or get some help I will hopefully build my own theme.

Happy to see you using the alpha viewmodel.

Was it much stuffing around to get it positioned and behaving the way you wanted ?

space2001

Happy to see you using the alpha viewmodel.

Was it much stuffing around to get it positioned and behaving the way you wanted ?

Hehe for some things it was a bit tough for me to find what I needed to do.  I am more used to php/sql with a bit of SDL.  

But I will do some mockups and I think the flow will work really well. 

Luke has just posted a new MBT alpha with the following changes to Key & remote control key handling.

1. Global KeyDown hooking has been removed. 

We now use the standard WPF KeyDown event on the application window and use standard event bubbling to catch the KeyDown events This means there will be no impact on application key events outside MBT anymore. Windows lower in the hierarchy (& plugins for that matter) can override the processing as they wish.

2. KeyDown  events on the media player screen are forwarded to the standard Keydown event handler described above (if they are not caught locally, e.g for DVD key mangement) and are mapped and managed like any other key (play/pause next FF etc, should now all work as advertised)

3. Duplicate command detection has been made more robust. PlayPause should work in all cases.

A number of remotes send both a WM_COMMAND and a keyboard code for a remote key press. i.e the default Media keys PlayPause, Next, Prev, FF, RR are duplicated on most remote control/receiver/driveriver Combinations

4. A number of new Key codes have been mapped

"I" - Info, Ctrl-D - Info , BrowseSearch - Search,  Ctrl-S - Search (can you all please test these on your remotes and give me feedback, info in particular)

5. These changes are the first steps in refactoring our Key event mangement infrastructure. The next step will be to integrate input methods into a single path, standardized Key to Command mapping,  Key map overriding & more commands (i.e toggle, full screen, goto page, etc). We plan to stay very close to XBMC in our execution.

6. Here at of  KeyCodes and the commands they are mapped in current MBT alpha. (some windows like search implement there own key mapping and dont honor all codes)
Key.Browser                                 Search,
Key.Ctrl+Key.S                            Search
Key.Browser                                Home,
Key.Home                                   Home
Key.Play                                      play,
Key.Ctrl+Key.Shift+Key.P            Play
Key.Space                                   pause
Key.Pause                                   pause
Key.Ctrl+Key.P                            pause
Key.MediaNextTrack                    nexttrack
Key.Ctrl+Key.F                            nextTrack
Key.MediaPreviousTrack            PreviousTrack
Key.Ctrl+Key.B                           PreviousTrack
Key.MediaPlayPause                  PlayPause
Key.MediaStop                           stop
Key.Ctrl+Key.Shift+Key.S           Stop
Key.Ctrl+Key.Shift+Key.B           SkipBackward       
Key.Ctrl+Key.Shift+Key.F           SkipForwards     
Key.Ctrl_Key.D                           info
Key.I                                           info
Key.Multiply                                info,
Key.D8 Toggle                          Info      
Key.Left                                    Left
Key.Right                                 Right
Key.Up                                    Up
Key.Down                                Down
Ket.Enter                                 Enter

see http://msdn.microsof...y/bb189249.aspx for a standard list of WMC remote key mapping. Most RC8 remotes should support these

I have attached the XBMC key map xml to give you an idea of how their map works. It will be a long time before we support all those command, but we should try to standardize on the same mappings where possible.

shaun

keyboard.xml

• Like 6

This is great to hear even though some of it might be over my head in understanding what this means and the mbt teams vision of what possibilities will come of this :) one of my only requests yet and only major request yet was more robust control.

What I would like to see and I hope its in the cards but can ios and android developers for those apps have access to  adding full blown controls to control mbt. Even in the web browser it would nice be able to see navigation buttons on screen to do things in mbt, and a button to bring up the star command osd. I cant do any of that with the apps. And i dont use harmony or hard button remotes anymore (hard button remotes seem to be more popular on here then on xbmc where alot of users prefer touchscreen apps like myself), i use an ipad and iphone to control my house now. The configuration and ability to do things a hard button remote cant made it more appealing for me (while not always liked by some who prefer hard buttons).

One of the only things i miss coming from xbmc was the apps for android/ios (iphone/ipad) came with a full blown remote. It simplifies the entire thing for us general users as one of the biggest hurdles with a general htpc user is controlling the thing. It has navigation arrows, every button you would ever need, the ability to wake on lan. I suppose alot of this should be requested with ios and android developers but i am curious if they have access to the api that would allow them to add more robust mbt controls to their apps. I know the ios developer doing a search commented he would like to add more controls for controlling mbt on his to do list. 

I was talking to a friend the other day, hes a computer guy but knows little about htpc's and software, he set xbmc up on a pi connected to a tv, and i was showing him media browser theater since i switched to it, and one of the first thing he mentioned was how slick the xbmc remote control was in the app  when he noticed i couldnt control mbt with certain functions from my phone. I had to pull out the old keyboard.

I also use roomie remote home automation for most of my home control, its a hobby of mine, i created a request on their forum to add mediabrowser support (its about the only thing they have not added full blown support for yet when it comes to media players) and im hoping they add what they can as well to control mbt. It got quite a few thumbs up from members of the roomie remote forum who are also media browser users, so im hoping we see other companies like them add and also look into adding control of media browser and the htpc clients. I just hope they also have access to api controls for media browser theater that they could actually add and that this ability even exists. The same way it works on xbmc where the roomie remote team easily added navigation and many other functions to the roomie remote app. The amount of commands and control they added to their xbmc control upon request was staggering, and i hope this information and ability exists for developers to add more control to mbt. 

Edited by Ghostm
  • Like 1