High CPU usage when idle

deanhatescoffee

the problem with this thread is that many people will think they have the issue when it might be something different (or even just perception). so all they say is "me too". blauter78 did some investigation and produced some concrete info, and as a result, what he reported got fixed.

CDA714

the problem with this thread is that many people will think they have the issue when it might be something different (or even just perception). so all they say is "me too". blauter78 did some investigation and produced some concrete info, and as a result, what he reported got fixed.

me too ... BAZINGA!  

I'm sure everyone appreciates all your time and effort. Thanks.  What I have done is test 5518.7, 5588.1 5597.1, and Version 3.0.5603.33352 all on the same Hardware. If you fixed the dynamic problem on the latest Dev build I'm just not seeing the result. Whatever changes were made after 5588.1 seem to be at Issue. For now I am running 5588.1 with my full music library and after the initial scan my cpu seems bored and Emby runs beautifully. With the newer builds I have to remove the Music library to achieve the same results. Thanks again for your efforts.

metaman

I don't know what else to say, other than that the issue will arise sometime after restarting the server, for unknown reason, and prevail until it's restarted again. It's an i7 930(8 cores) with Emby constantly utilizing 13-ish % CPU. Some plugins installed and enabled. I've some 30TB, split rougly into 3k movies, 10k episodes and 10k ebooks. Music/audio books have been disabled as pr this thread. I'll try disabling ebooks, do a restart and see if that helps.

AxeMan

i know mine was showing similar symptoms and started around the same time as the others. but then again, my music library was a horrible mess - i could never use the android client anyway. I am going to re-add the folders that have proper metadata and are manageable sizes.

metaman

After having removed my ebooks library, Emby is finally resting nicely on 0% CPU.

I spoke to soon, it's back where it was.

Edited by metaman

I have a couple more fixes going into the upcoming beta that should improve this and solve the problem for more of you. Another one related to the dynamic images, and also, significantly reduced the device chatter related to discovery of Dlna devices. The server searches for devices on the network and also responds to searches. There were some cases of the server responding to itself thus increasing network traffic and socket usage.

• Like 1

CDA714

I have a couple more fixes going into the upcoming beta that should improve this and solve the problem for more of you. Another one related to the dynamic images, and also, significantly reduced the device chatter related discovery of Dlna devices.

Great! Thanks ...ETA on the beta?

whitestrat13

I was fighting this issue today to no avail.  I just installed the 3.0.5607.0 Beta and it seems like everything is resolved.  Thanks for quickly resolving the issue like always.  You guys rock!

gcoupe

Sorry, but it's not resolved here by 3.0.5607.0.

So long as I use IE11 to display the Emby Server dashboard, CPU usage (on my WHS 2011) is very low. As soon as I go to the Emby Home page, CPU usage jumps and finally settles back to 30%, where it remains, even if I navigate back to the Server dashboard. It will stay at 30% until I restart the Emby server.

Edited by gcoupe

CDA714

Sorry, but it's not resolved here by 3.0.5607.0.

So long as I use IE11 to display the Emby Server dashboard, CPU usage (on my WHS 2011) is very low. As soon as I go to the Emby Home page, CPU usage jumps and finally settles back to 30%, where it remains, even if I navigate back to the Server dashboard. It will stay at 30% until I restart the Emby server.

Confirmed ...not resolved on WHS 2011 ... Can someone confirm that its fixed on Win 7,8 and 10

metaman

Running on Windows Server 2012 and the issue still remains after updating to the latest beta.

whitestrat13

Confirmed ...not resolved on WHS 2011 ... Can someone confirm that its fixed on Win 7,8 and 10

Been using the server on Windows 8.1 most of the day to stream to my HTC One M8 and Roku 3. I just checked and my desktop is sitting at normal idle cpu usage again. So far so good.

CDA714

Been using the server on Windows 8.1 most of the day to stream to my HTC One M8 and Roku 3. I just checked and my desktop is sitting at normal idle cpu usage again. So far so good.

Thanks, I had it on a 8.1 rig but removed it when I put it on my WHS 2011. So your not playing anything in WMC?

whitestrat13

Thanks, I had it on a 8.1 rig but removed it when I put it on my WHS 2011. So your not playing anything in WMC?

I haven't touched WMC since my first gen XBOX 360 died during the MB3 alpha test. As soon as the Roku app was launched I grabbed a Roku 3 and haven't looked back.

CDA714

I haven't touched WMC since my first gen XBOX 360 died during the MB3 alpha test. As soon as the Roku app was launched I grabbed a Roku 3 and haven't looked back.

Thanks again, the reason I asked is because The issue seems to be gone when using the web interface but the same in WMC. When I go into WMC to my music library my CPU goes up and stays up even when I exit WMC. It will only come back down with a restart of EMBY Server. I posted a while ago about how the EMBY in other libraries was all screwed up in WMP ... listed everything in my library as music and then listed most as unplayable. WMC Library manager and EMBY Library Manager Conflict? Open the music folder in WMP EMBY ... something is not right. Just reporting what I see.

gcoupe

Thanks again, the reason I asked is because The issue seems to be gone when using the web interface but the same in WMC. When I go into WMC to my music library my CPU goes up and stays up even when I exit WMC. It will only come back down with a restart of EMBY Server.

Interesting. For me, the issue has NOT gone when using the web interface. I don't use the WMC interface, ever.

I have no music and no photo in my library and still experiencing this high CPU usage (1 core at 100%).

I use only the web interface. I have to kill media server when I do not use it to avoid annoyance.

Windows 8.1 and Version 3.0.5597.1

Edited by Ming

Cerothen

Version 3.0.5607.0

Windows Server 2012

I still seem to have the CPU issues in the latest Beta (3.0.5607.0). Attached are the log files for both Emby and Process Mon.

I hope the files help please let me know if there is anything you need from me.

post-9276-0-90350300-1431275097_thumb.png

Emby.txt

ProcMon.txt

I found the root cause. It's fixed in the dev build going up now. I'm pretty confident that's the end of this. Interestingly the excess dlna device chatter wasn't the problem, but some good improvements such as that have come about while trying to chase this down. I went on a rampage profiling everything possible and minimizing dlna messaging as much as we can, so those are going to pay dividends.

• Like 4

Happy2Play

What was the issue?  I know personally I haven't seen this issue.  So I'm wondering what combination/scenario actually caused this.

CDA714

I found the root cause. It's fixed in the dev build going up now. I'm pretty confident that's the end of this. Interestingly the excess dlna device chatter wasn't the problem, but some good improvements such as that have come about while trying to chase this down. I went on a rampage profiling everything possible and minimizing dlna messaging as much as we can, so those are going to pay dividends.

That's Great ... What was the root cause?

• Like 1

Danee

What was the issue?  I know personally I haven't seen this issue.  So I'm wondering what combination/scenario actually caused this.

Same here, I'm lucky I don't have this issue but also wondering what the scenario was. I do experience a speed improvement in the webclient on the latest release, so not sure if it's connected, but great work anyway!