High CPU usage when idle

deanhatescoffee

deanhatescoffee

I've been using MB/Emby for over a year now with no issues. Thanks to the dev team and community for an amazing product.

I currently have Emby Server 3.0.5582.4 installed. Lately (the last week or so) I've noticed abnormally high CPU temps, which lead me to check the task manager where I found that Media Browser Server is using typically 13% but up to 23% CPU on my i7-2600. I don't understand what could be causing the high usage, especially since I'm not transcoding - the system is basically idle. What's going on?

Attached are my logs, or get them here:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=47e7394ebd49cbeb!9887&authkey=!AAdCKC1Z3A-Clao&ithint=file%2czip

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

logs.zip

it is best to post just one log from a relevant time period because with all those files none of us are going to know what to do. i picked one and saw a lot of reaction to change from recorded tv folders. since wmc is going to be writing constantly to the recorded tv folder, consider turning off the realtime file system monitor

deanhatescoffee

Thanks for the super fast reply. I've disabled realtime monitoring but MBServer CPU usage is still high, 14%. Any other ideas? Here's my latest log that I grabbed from the Support section of MBServer (just one this time!).  I'm neither transcoding nor recording live TV.

logs.txt

I just had this happen on my dev server.  Unfortunately, I confirmed that nothing was being written to the logs while this was happening so, whatever it is, it is completely under the radar.

I re-started the server and it has not ramped back up.

I also just discovered my production server in the same boat - but using even more CPU resources.  No one is watching anything (Roku was turned off 11 minutes ago) and no tasks are running.  Nothing is being written to the logs which is gonna make this a bugger to track down I imagine.

55327931a240d_servercpu.png

deanhatescoffee

I also just discovered my production server in the same boat - but using even more CPU resources.  No one is watching anything (Roku was turned off 11 minutes ago) and no tasks are running.  Nothing is being written to the logs which is gonna make this a bugger to track down I imagine.

That's frustrating but it's good to know I'm not alone with this. Thinking about it more, I actually first started noticing the issue a few weeks ago but the guilty process was FFMPEG (so it was really Emby but Task Manager said FFMPEG specifically). I would assume this issue is the same as the FFMPEG issue since the CPU utilization is similar/equal but Task Manager is now identifying the problem within Emby itself instead of as a separate process. Are there any FFMPEG logs I could provide? Where would I find them?

• Like 1

kingstonian

Just noticed this on my computer tonight after watching a show through my Roku, CPU at 15%, restarted emby server and back to normal. 

deanhatescoffee

I've disabled all of my plugins and Emby is performing normally so far. For others who were experiencing this issue, check this screenshot and see if you have any of these plugins installed - GameBrowser, ServerWMC, and Auto Box Sets (not sure if that's even necessary anymore since Collections was introduced forever ago). Maybe we can find a common culprit.

post-3141-0-12913300-1429421062_thumb.png

• Like 1

However, it may be related to transcoding or playback.

My server ran all night and most of the day idling as normal but as soon as I started playing some items, the server process went to 13% CPU and stuck there.  Had to re-start it again to stop it.  My production server, which the kids have been using today, is back again at 27% CPU.

We have no plug-ins in common so I'm thinking it isn't a plug-in at this point.

kingstonian

Just caught up to your post's, my plug-ins are Roku, Coverart and Auto Box Sets, I've deleted the Auto Box Sets plug-in and will check tomorrow for any improvement.

Edited by kingstonian

gcoupe

I've noticed this too. I have no plugins installed.

I started up the server (3.0.5582.4, running on WHS 2011) and left it alone. After a couple of hours, Task Manager showed little (a few percent, tops) or no activity. Using the Dashboard had essentially no effect.

However, as soon as I switched to browsing the libraries via the Web client, CPU activity for the server shot up to between 60% and 80%. I was not actually playing any media, just browsing round the libraries. I switched back to the Dashboard, and checked that no scheduled tasks were running. They weren't. However, CPU activity is still now sitting at 30%, and will remain that way until I restart the server.

lulzyatlas

Wanted to try and shed some light on this. For me the problem appears to be connected to my music library, not sure if it's scope or structure.

The server would function normally until something would trigger the CPU jam, I believe its the music view as the idle state would be fine until I launched Emby Classic and went through the views watching task manager. Movies, TV, and Games are caused a slight spike that leveled out almost immediately after, however highlighting Music would begin the CPU climbing which continues on until reboot. After removing the 40gb or so section of my music DB from Emby and leaving only the 1gb section I retested and noticed the problem happening again all the same, upon removing the music section altogether it was back to normal.

• Like 1

porkbone

I have been noticing the same issue with the cpu running around 50% while nothing is streaming or scanning. I removed my music library like lulzyatlas suggested and that seemed to clear it up. plus my normal library scans went from 20 to 35 minutes down to 4.

Emby Classic is now crazy fast and responsive as well

gcoupe

Yep, I have a Music library as well. Task Manager still showing 30% CPU activity 6 hours since I last browsed the Music library...

doonze

I too noticed this today, hovering around 50% with nothing connected. No streaming, no task running according to dashboard. Removed my music library, no change. Restarted server, and after about 5 mins it settled down to around 1-2%. Only plugin is Auto box set. If it does it again, I'll uninstall that.  

Almost positive it isn't a plug-in as I don't have any in common (not running Auto Box Sets on my production server) and Gcoup said he has no plug-ins at all.

Deihmos

I have auto box set and the server idles at 0 - 0.1%. I also have cover art and trakt.

Edited by Deihmos

kingstonian

Server acting normal after playing a few shows through the Roku, this was after removing my music library, will re install my plugins tomorrow and test again. 

MrLinford

I noticed the high CPU a few releases back, I also can't locate the source.

My server updated to 3.0.5588 and done its auto restarted, was getting high CPU usage until I manually restarted the server application. Browsed through my library on different devices (Chrome, Android & Kodi) and watch an episode of Daredevil fine.

Will keep an eye on things...

Okay, my dev server just kicked into this cycle of 13% CPU usage constant while nothing is attached to the server nor any tasks running.

Looking at Procmon, I see a constant cycling of these UDP and thread creation and exit events.

5536a9a92fc86_procmon1.png

I'll leave it in this state in case there is something else you want me to investigate with procmon.

kingstonian

OK, Ran the Roku today with the plugins re installed and the server acted as normal, added my music library back in to the mix and the cpu issue returned restarted the server and cpu idling as normal.

I have removed my music library from the server until a cause / fix can be found.

Same issue

Since the last patch, my server will spool up and run at constant 25% cpu utilization until I restart it, even if I'm not streaming anything.

I haven't figured out what does it yet, only that if I restart the server the cpu utilization drops.

I only have tv and movies and no plugins.

I'll try dlna, chromecast, roku, android mobile streams later today to see if i can figure out what is causing it.

Version 3.0.5582.4