High CPU usage when idle

deanhatescoffee

Also please note that by idle, we also mean after initial startup scan has completed.

blauter78

I didn't have debug on at the time but here is a log. It happened as soon as I clicked the hamburger icon from the web interface on my mobile device only. It did not occur on full web interface.

Occurs shortly after 16:30. I can re-run test with debug when I get a chance.

Edited by blauter78

blauter78

Didn't happen the second time I did this after full restart, so not sure if that was the initial trigger or not.

aquatarkus

Do you have plex set up on your WHS 2011? 

Hi there 

In the process of setting it up at the moment, will be a couple of days before i have everything set up as have to go to work and will be away for a couple of days but looking good so far

Regards

Aquatarkus

I didn't have debug on at the time but here is a log. It happened as soon as I clicked the hamburger icon from the web interface on my mobile device only. It did not occur on full web interface.

Occurs shortly after 16:30. I can re-run test with debug when I get a chance.

This issue is because of the dynamic images. i am changing them to be less dynamic and refresh only once per week. currently they will refresh as content changes with a limit of once per day. They are done in the background after requesting the content the first time. So now it will be no more than once per week, so if that's still too much cpu then we'll just need an option to turn them off.  So that is solved.

The timing of when you guys say this started happening is almost exactly when this feature was introduced, so most likely most of you are seeing the same thing.

• Like 1

blauter78

This issue is because of the dynamic images. i am changing them to be less dynamic and refresh only once per week. currently they will refresh as content changes with a limit of once per day. They are done in the background after requesting the content the first time. So now it will be no more than once per week, so if that's still too much cpu then we'll just need an option to turn them off.  So that is solved.

The timing of when you guys say this started happening is almost exactly when this feature was introduced, so most likely most of you are seeing the same thing.

Thanks for the quick turnaround as usual Luke.

TheShanMan

Luke, in my case the cpu was, as far as I could tell, ALWAYS pegged (after some initial trigger - didn't start immediately when starting the service) as evidenced by the fact that my case fan was ALWAYS running at full speed (and of course confirmed by checking Process Explorer). I removed my music library and restarted last night and haven't seen the problem return. Would that jive with your analysis of the problem?

Your description doesn't sound like it would explain my issue to me. It doesn't sound like it would ALWAYS cause cpu pegging, and my library doesn't often change (typically once every day to once every few days).

Koleckai Silvestri

if any of you would like to try the new dev server going up now, please let me know if this helps or resolves the issue. thanks. And please remember the issue reported in this thread - high cpu usage when idle. Idle meaning no scheduled tasks running, no active users, etc. If that doesn't describe your issue then we can discuss that separately. 

Emby Server Version 3.0.5602.31273

Google Chrome Version 42.0.2311.135 m

No other clients installed on the machine

Launched Emby Server. It ran its scheduled tasks. During this the dashboard open is open in a standard Google Chrome window. After the scheduled tasks, the CPU usage dropped to negligible amounts (0%).

Opened the front end using a Google Chrome App shortcut pinned to my taskbar. This basically opens the Web Client in a window that does not have Chrome's UI.

CPU usage increased to 30%. Settled around  22% after a couple minutes.

Closed the web client and CPU usage hovered between 22% and 27% for about 5 minutes. At which point I restarted the server.

Attempted to redo the test but after the second restart, the CPU remains negligible (reads 0%) with both dashboard and web client open as above.

Thanks for resolving the issue.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Your description doesn't sound like it would explain my issue to me. It doesn't sound like it would ALWAYS cause cpu pegging, and my library doesn't often change (typically once every day to once every few days).

Makes sense to me because Artists and Albums I would imagine would be likely candidates for those dynamic images - and there would be a lot of them which could tie up the processor for a very long time.

I had a sure method of reproduction of this issue so I can test that out with the new release and confirm it has been nabbed.

• Like 1

TheShanMan

Great! Looking forward to the fix. However, if it "could tie up the processor for a very long time" then switching it from daily to weekly only means we'll experience a long term pegged cpu one day of the week. Granted, that's better than 7 days a week (so it's a welcome improvement), but I'd still consider it to be a problem.

I don't quite get what the dynamic images are for, even after going back and looking at the blog post about that server release. Maybe if I understood the feature better I'd understand how it could literally run all day long every time. I just don't get how my music collection, which isn't exactly huge (I doubt I have more than a couple hundred albums), could literally cripple one core all day every day. But if that's really the price to pay for this feature, perhaps an option to turn it off would be in order. I do look forward to learning about the feature but I doubt I'll be so enamored by it that I'll be happy with the price of one core for (on the order of) 24 hours per week.

Thanks again for figuring this out!

Ian-Highlander

This issue is because of the dynamic images....

...we'll just need an option to turn them off.  So that is solved.

I realise this isn't a democracy, but an option to disable them would get my vote please.

I'm still using the old version until this is resolved as my music collection is more important to me than dynamic folder images.  ;)

blublub

Why not let this "update" run in all cores so that it is finished more quickly?

gcoupe

Why not let this "update" run in all cores so that it is finished more quickly?

Er, on my WHS 2011, I've had 30% CPU usage since April 17th, and there is no sign of it ever finishing...

Cerothen

I have had higher than normal CPU usage that is in line with what is outlined here (13% with 8 cores, one thread). I have been reading through the whole thing and can confirm that almost all the time the CPU usage sits pretty high even while doing nothing. It looks like some good progress has been made by the members of this thread and I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

CDA714

as antitheft2 mentioned, rolling it back works. I've been testing on a couple of multi-boot machines and found a version of 30.5588.1

I swapped the system folder into my current setup (WHS 2011) and I'm listening to tunes right now at 0% ... very smooth. I did notice something as the first scan was taking place. There was an 11% draw on my CPU from Windows media player network sharing service. It continued to draw right up until just before the scan completed. I never saw this draw with any of the newer builds. I followed CPU usage on quite a few first scans. May lead somewhere. Hope this helps.

JeremyFr79

So looking at my main server tonight I am having the same issue, 1 core 100% utilization all others idle so constant 6% total CPU usage (1 thread out of 16)

Running latest dev release at time of this posting Version 3.0.5603.33352

Edited by JeremyFr79

dragon2611

if you have a pair of X5570 CPUs then you will only see maximum 6% CPU usage if you have the issue as it's 1 thread at 100%. At idle the media browser process uses 0% on my system. It's quite possible that this problem is affecting a lot of people without them even noticing. If you have plenty of cores there is no noticeable performance drop so you can only see the issue in task manager.

Yep I only noticed it because LibreNMS which happens to be monitoring that box was showing one core pegged at 90% constantly for several days at which point I logged in and started investigating.

This was on a C2750 atom, since the other 7 cores were very lightly loaded I didn't really notice any performance degradation 

AxeMan

same here - removed Music library and all seems to be well. still testing, but may have solved the problem for me.

I have a lot of music that are collections  (think Now This is Music) type stuff... where the artists end up being way too many to be practical ... I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Do others have messy/big music libraries? admitedly I haven't read every post, so I don't know if this was covered.

Koleckai Silvestri

same here - removed Music library and all seems to be well. still testing, but may have solved the problem for me.

I have a lot of music that are collections  (think Now This is Music) type stuff... where the artists end up being way too many to be practical ... I wonder if that had anything to do with it. Do others have messy/big music libraries? admitedly I haven't read every post, so I don't know if this was covered.

Luke said it was due to Dynamic Images. However if you don't have a lot of the artwork for your collections or they are custom collections, then the system will try to create dynamic images for the ones that are missing. This could explain why some people get better response when they remove their music library. It is often larger (on a per item basis) than other libraries and could be missing a lot of artwork depending on how it was obtained.