High CPU usage when idle

deanhatescoffee

CDA714

After a restart of the server,  I scrolled over to my music folder on the client ... didn't even open it. The cpu went screaming up and stayed. So I removed the music share and restarted the server.  I have not opened the web GUI cause as someone else noticed, the web interface seems to have an effect on the cpu spike. I can NOT get the cpu to rise above 2% ... and Ive been beating on it .. playing everything I have... opening and closing ...yada yada yada    I don't know if this will help you guys troubleshoot this problem, may help you zero in.

Edited by CDA714

Koleckai Silvestri

Do you just use standalone Media Browser client??

Rokus and the Web Client predominantly. I think my daughter might have the Windows 8.1 app installed on her laptop.

Mustang Dave

Rokus and the Web Client predominantly. I think my daughter might have the Windows 8.1 app installed on her laptop.

Ive noticed  & reported that if you open the client when the library is being scanned then the cpu usage increases and doesnt drop till its done scanning and Ive made a bigger discovery that if you have malwarebytes installed on the Server then it really makes it jump even more... at times 100%.  Thats what its been doing on mine...  any similarity?

Wil462

I saw this thread when I noticed high CPU activity on my server. The only reason I bothered to notice the activity was when family members complained of constant buffering while watching a movie. Instead of checking the root of the issue I simply restarted the server. Everyone was happy. Case closed. However, since the latest 2 updates came out the issue has been occurring quite often so I decided it was time to investigate and this is what I found.

My Son has the new PS4 with no DLNA so he watches movies on the installed browser. My wife loves the functionality you get in the browser on her PC compared to that in Windows Media Center. Then there is my host of remote relatives who connect over the internet. All these connections have one thing in common. They all require Transcoding. All I had to do was go into Playback --> Transcoding and set the Transcoding Quality Setting from Auto to High Speed, Lower Quality, But faster encoding; verified throttling was set as well.

After making the setting change I was concerned about quality. I didn't notice much change in movie quality after everyone had logged back in. Furthermore, server CPU usage did not spike either. At least not in the last 48 hours.

I'm almost certain this has nothing to do with the serious CPU spikes the other members are seeing. But I wanted to share anyway.

Regards

• Like 1

MrLinford

Ive noticed  & reported that if you open the client when the library is being scanned then the cpu usage increases and doesnt drop till its done scanning and Ive made a bigger discovery that if you have malwarebytes installed on the Server then it really makes it jump even more... at times 100%.  Thats what its been doing on mine...  any similarity?

I also have Malwarebytes, will disable it to see if issue continues...

porkbone

I removed my music library 4 days ago and this issue has not returned at all. I also have Malwarebytes installed and I made sure it wouldn't scan Emby.

Purring like a kitten

Ian-Highlander

I've tried running both as a service or not, no difference, it's fine for a while after the initial scan each time you re-start it then it kicks in again and doesn't improve. Not only is it running a consistent 13% CPU usage but the memory is constantly rising even when it's idling as well. Previous release ran at between 250-300MB of RAM and this latest build is now running 650MB at time of writing and still rising. System has been idle for over 24 hours and it's still going up. No scheduled tasks running, server is an i7 with 6GB RAM and is doing nothing else at this time.

Can we have the previous release installer back please or this issue fixed one way or another, the previous version ran sweet as a nut for me. I really wish I hadn't upgraded now.

Edited by Antitheft2

Ian-Highlander

Restored the server.old directory and re-started it as a service so it doesn't update again, so it's now running 3.0.5572.0 and problem gone. System behaving normally again.

Mustang Dave

Has anyone noticed that when they have a CPU spike that other than the library scan is running is your library empty?

Mine for example...

The library scan times flux 2-9 minutes with or without library changes, and I have concluded the blank library is connected to the CPU spike because my library will not show up till it drops back to a normal range, anything way away from 100%.  So in other words if the library scan takes 2-9 minutes and the cpu spikes and it takes 5 minutes to come back down, I am having to wait 15 minutes before I can watch anything.  I am running an i7 with 24 gigs of RAM...

Has anyone noticed that when they have a CPU spike that other than the library scan is running is your library empty?

Mine for example...

The library scan times flux 2-9 minutes with or without library changes, and I have concluded the blank library is connected to the CPU spike because my library will not show up till it drops back to a normal range, anything way away from 100%.  So in other words if the library scan takes 2-9 minutes and the cpu spikes and it takes 5 minutes to come back down, I am having to wait 15 minutes before I can watch anything.  I am running an i7 with 24 gigs of RAM...

Your situation is completely different from what is being discussed in this thread.

The issue in this thread is the server locking into a constant state of CPU use and never letting go.

Mixeur

I have same issue. And I'm not doing any transcoding since I'm using Mediabrowser Classic on Mediacenter.

My server is only one core, so emby server occupy almost all cpu time and I can hardly do something else on it. Sometimes reset solve the issue but sometimes not.

Edited by Mixeur

Nollog

I removed my music library 4 days ago and this issue has not returned at all. I also have Malwarebytes installed and I made sure it wouldn't scan Emby.

Purring like a kitten

I removed my music library 2 days ago, and the problem seems to be gone so far.

CDA714

Agree. its the Music. What Changed from the last release. I noticed in my WMP other libraries/emby/Music that there is a folder named unknown with my entire media collection in it. Movies ,Videos all listed as unplayable. WTH? 

Koleckai Silvestri

Agree. its the Music. What Changed from the last release. I noticed in my WMP other libraries/emby/Music that there is a folder named unknown with my entire media collection in it. Movies ,Videos all listed as unplayable. WTH? 

I have the problem with or without music. The CPU usage doesn't spike for me until I open the Web Client. I can run the server for over a day without problems until I open the Web Client. Then it spikes. 

I don't use other systems to categorize or view media so I am not sure if I have the folder issue you're mentioning.

CDA714

I have the problem with or without music. The CPU usage doesn't spike for me until I open the Web Client. I can run the server for over a day without problems until I open the Web Client. Then it spikes. 

I don't use other systems to categorize or view media so I am not sure if I have the folder issue you're mentioning.

Interesting. My setup is the Emby Server on my WHS Home server and 4 client computers around the house all on the same LAN. When I had my music library listed (I removed it 2 days ago) if I went to music in WMC or thru the Web Interface on any one of the 5 Machines my CPU on the server would go up to 50%+ usage and not come back down until I closed the EMBY server and restarted it. Without the Music Library I can't get a rise out it  2-3% max except when scanning the library (Which is super quick without music)  Would love to get this resolved. Thanks

Koleckai Silvestri

Interesting. My setup is the Emby Server on my WHS Home server and 4 client computers around the house all on the same LAN. When I had my music library listed (I removed it 2 days ago) if I went to music in WMC or thru the Web Interface on any one of the 5 Machines my CPU on the server would go up to 50%+ usage and not come back down until I closed the EMBY server and restarted it. Without the Music Library I can't get a rise out it  2-3% max except when scanning the library (Which is super quick without music)  Would love to get this resolved. Thanks

I outlined my setup earlier in the thread. My Music library (~2000 songs) is smaller than my Television library (~3800 episodes) though. So it probably isn't about any one library but about total overall size of all the libraries.

Unfortunately, the issue doesn't seem to be a big concern amongst most of the core team. Few comments, no ideas put forth or things to try to eliminate it. Everything in the thread is the community blindly grasping at straws.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Ian-Highlander

My library is about 800 films, 10,000 tv episodes and 60,000 odd mp3s.

As I mentioned earlier, as soon as I rolled the installation back to the previous version (3.0.5572.0) everything just started working perfectly again. The new version causes the problem in this thread. My system runs as a service normally anyway so doesn't update unless I do it myself and I won't be until this is confirmed fixed. The version I have does everything I want it to anyway.

For anyone else wanting to roll back if you haven't already, stop mediabrowser, navigate to the install directory (usually C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\MediaBrowser-Server) and rename the system directory to system.knackered or something similar and then rename the system.old directory to system. Re-start mediabrowser as a service (do NOT restart it using the start menu app or it will just automatically update itself again) and you will be running the old version again and it should all just "work" as before.

HTH someone.

Sean Forester

I've had this issue for about a week or so now. I removed my music library about 36 hours ago, and the issue hasn't reappeared since then. I have a very small music library. Maybe 30 albums.

jimdoc

I've been experiencing this too. Server was running at a constant 25% cpu usage. Once I found this thread a couple of days I removed my music library (about 12,000 songs) and the problem hasn't appeared since then.

fuzzthekingoftrees

Same issue here, I've dropped my music library for the time being and it seems OK. I'll keep an eye on it.

porkbone

Updated the server to Version 3.0.5597.0 and thought I would try and get some logs. Added my music library back in and let it do a full scan. While monitoring my CPU usage, I opened the dashboard then the web interface and selected my music library. CPU was still low, so I played some music, surfed around the music library and the CPU stayed low. I opened Emby Classic and went into the music directory and the CPU immediately jumped to 50%. I was able to play some music, but the CPU usage would jump even higher between 75 and 90%. I don't see anything in the logs, but here they are anyway. Emby Classic is version 3.0.265.0

Emby server: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nesz93nkkrw4xg5/server-63565832627.txt?dl=0

Emby Classic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/27hssmm0iqsxqzs/MBClassic-284201531875f1803b34d97997fe962a8c52bcc.log?dl=0

There were no transcoding logs generated and no event viewer errors or warnings

Hope this helps...

dragon2611

Running 3.0.5588.1 on server 2012R2 on an Atom C2750

I just looked at my CPU usage graphs and noticed one of the cores seems to be loaded to about 80% since Sunday, when I actually login to the machine and look at the Task Manager MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe is using 12 - 15% CPU, which would seem to account for the high utilisation on one of the cores.

Checked the Network usage and the Dashboard and there's nobody streaming and no scheduled tasks that are showing as running/in progress so I'm not sure what it's doing, even when I close the webUI the cpu usage remains the same.

I know the individual Atom core's aren't particularly fast/powerful and I fully expect Emby to use quite a bit of CPU when it's doing things like updating the indexing or performing a sync job, but I don't think the Idle cpu usage should be this high, wondering if something getting stuck somewhere.

Edit:  Exiting Emby and then restarting it may have resolved it as CPU usage is back to normal now, Interestingly using the "Restart Server" option from the Emby systray icon didn't fix it.

Edited by dragon2611

MndWrp

Try disabling the music section of your library. That did the trick for me. Temporary solution obviously, but my setup was stuttering badly before and now works perfectly.