High CPU usage when idle

deanhatescoffee

flcruising

OK, Ran the Roku today with the plugins re installed and the server acted as normal, added my music library back in to the mix and the cpu issue returned restarted the server and cpu idling as normal.

I have removed my music library from the server until a cause / fix can be found.

Same here, I removed the music library and it is back to nill at idle.

I have a dual core in my HTPC and it was running at 50% CPU load constant. So, I wonder if it is loading up (1) core for us; the more cores you have, the lower the %.

Same here, I removed the music library and it is back to nill at idle.

I have a dual core in my HTPC and it was running at 50% CPU load constant. So, I wonder if it is loading up (1) core for us; the more cores you have, the lower the %.

Yes, that is what it looks like.  On my dev box it sticks at 13% (8 cores) and on my production box it sticks at 26 (4 cores).

My production server just kicked up to 26% again.  It idled all night and I watched half of a show at lunch time from the nexus player and it stayed at idle after that. The only other thing that has happened on that server since is that I did a few searches from another device because I was having performance issues on my dev box with those searches and I wanted to compare.  The performance was the same but now I just looked and the server is eating CPU again.

So, somehow related only to browsing or searching the library I think rather than playback.

Angelblue05

My production server just kicked up to 26% again.  It idled all night and I watched half of a show at lunch time from the nexus player and it stayed at idle after that. The only other thing that has happened on that server since is that I did a few searches from another device because I was having performance issues on my dev box with those searches and I wanted to compare.  The performance was the same but now I just looked and the server is eating CPU again.

So, somehow related only to browsing or searching the library I think rather than playback.

Could it be related to the same reason season and episodes are disappearing or the fact that the library scan gets stuck? Maybe something is not resolving correctly in the data process and causes many side effects like high cpu usage or something. The server seems to be working extra hard to accomplish "nothing" or something that we can't see in debug logs.

Edited by Angelblue05

I doubt it.  Doesn't sound related to me.  This issue appears to be some process that is kicking off and getting tied up in some sort of infinite loop.

Where can I find the old release ? 0.588.1 has been declared as the Release version despite of this bug ?

The server process is taking 1 core all the time, even after an idle night.

ANd I have no music on my Media Browser.

How many of you guys have Live TV?

I just sent my server into the death loop by doing nothing but bringing up the Live TV Suggestions page with the web client.

FYI - procmon looks exactly the same as before.  Thread creation and exits being produced over and over constantly together with UDP receive messages (probably unrelated).

DGMayor

I'm seeing this too as of the past week or so.   It definitely happens after transcoding. I tend to watch shows while I'm at work via the web interface.  I come home and I can hear it running.  It's always sitting at 25% for me.    I have noticed that ffmpeg.exe is also running, but taking up 0% cpu.  I can kill that process and no change.  Shutting down the server and restarting is the only thing to get it back to normal.

no Live TV here.

Watching shows natively has no issues.

Edited by DGMayor

Okay, the Live TV part must have been coincidental.  It definitely doesn't require playback or transcoding because I did neither.  Just browsed to a library page - but that action probably caused a host of other things to occur that involved library access.  To me, it looks like something related to simple library browsing but it must be under only a certain set of (unknown at this time) conditions.

Mustang Dave

I also had a large & long cpu spike last night on mine...  The only thing happening at the time was my daughter listening to music... I had to stop & restart Emby to make it stop.

Koleckai Silvestri

Have been experiencing this issue as well.

Server OS: Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10049

Emby: 3.0.5588.1

Metadata stored with my content. All libraries accessed via network shares. Disabled Music per the suggestion in this thread. Re-added since it didn't change anything.

No live television installed.

Plugins Installed:

Advanced Intros, Anime, CoverArt, Folder Sync, Rotten Tomatoes, Server Configuration Backup, TV Theme Songs

Channels Installed: Podcasts, Revision3, TWiT, Trailers, Twitch, Vevo

Clients used: Web Client, Roku - frequently. Android, Theater very infrequently. Do have the Kodi client installed but haven't used it since installing it.

12 Libraries, 5 Movie Libraries, 5 Television Libraries, 1 Music Library, 1 Mixed Content (anime movies and series), 851 Movies, 146 Series with 3,261 episodes, 238 Artists, 366 Albums, 2010 songs.

Let me know what I can experiment with to try and alleviate the issue.

Edited by Koleckai Silvestri

Schimi

HI,

i had the same problem...

I tourned Emby off and deleted (empty) the

cache

channels

ImagesByName

metadata

and the sync and transcoding temp folder...

then i delete in the "data" folder

refreshinfo.db

mediainfo.db

library.db

chapters.db

files.

Restarted Emby and after he done what he had to do it looks like it works.....

i write a new post if not ;-)

I doubt any of that had an effect except to make everything rebuild.  This issue appears to be related to some activity we haven't determined yet.  It runs normally for a while and then, once that thing happens, it kicks up the CPU use until you re-start the server.

Ian-Highlander

Same problem, constant 12-13% CPU usage since latest upgrade when idling, server doing nothing else. It's basically maxing out one vcore of a quad core i7 (eight vcores), jumping between cores as the threads close and restart.

553936cd9f790_2015042319_13_44kurgan_338

Edited by Antitheft2

Koleckai Silvestri

When I open a Chrome instance with Emby's web client, it slowly increases to about 30% CPU usage as well. This is relatively new as I used to keep the client open pretty much all the time and never noticed it before. Anyway, thought I would post this if in case it gives a clue where the issue might be.

Schimi

are you guys running the server as a service?

i startet it *normaly* (not as a service) and it looks good

i tell you if it changes.....

gcoupe

I'm not running the server as a service, and I don't use Chrome for the web client.

The server has not been accessed for a couple of days now (but it's been running all the time). The CPU usage was very low (between 0 and a few percent).

I opened up the Dashboard (using IE11), and the usage remained low. I then switched to the web client home page, and instantly the usage went to around 75%. I then switched back to the Dashboard view, and now the usage has gone to 30%, where it will remain for at least the next 24 hours, even when the Dashboard is closed in the browser. 

Koleckai Silvestri

are you guys running the server as a service?

i startet it *normaly* (not as a service) and it looks good

i tell you if it changes.....

Not using it as a service here. I am a lazy software manager and like the automatic updates that the executable provides.

Mustang Dave

Just curious about something I noticed does everybody have WMC or Theater open and start automatically at startup?

Edited by Mustang Dave

Koleckai Silvestri

Just curious about something I noticed does everybody have WMC or Theater open and start automatically at startup?

I don't use either of those clients regularly. Don't have WMC installed on any computers and waiting for the rebuild of Theater to hope it improves playback.

Mustang Dave

I don't use either of those clients regularly. Don't have WMC installed on any computers and waiting for the rebuild of Theater to hope it improves playback.

Do you just use standalone Media Browser client??