High CPU usage when idle

deanhatescoffee

Peakay

I've had the cpu sitting at a constant 50% for about a week now (24/7) with MediaBrowser.ServerApplication.exe being the problem. multiple reboots. closing down any software accessing it, reinstalling emby had no effect.

Based on the post by  deanhatescoffee, I uninstalled the "boxed sets" plugin, restarted the emby server and cpu problem was instantly gone.  obviously not the issue for all, but worked for me, so thanks to deanhatescoffee

Scott84Z28

I removed my Music library, and so far it seems to be helping the CPU issue (was a constant 50%, now virtually zero).

Ian-Highlander

That's why I rolled back to the previous version, too much time and effort gone into my music library to just remove it when it works perfectly on the previous release. I'll wait to upgrade again until this has been resolved and stick with 3.0.5572.0 for now :)

Updated the server to Version 3.0.5597.0 and thought I would try and get some logs. Added my music library back in and let it do a full scan. While monitoring my CPU usage, I opened the dashboard then the web interface and selected my music library. CPU was still low, so I played some music, surfed around the music library and the CPU stayed low. I opened Emby Classic and went into the music directory and the CPU immediately jumped to 50%. I was able to play some music, but the CPU usage would jump even higher between 75 and 90%. I don't see anything in the logs, but here they are anyway. Emby Classic is version 3.0.265.0

Emby server: https://www.dropbox.com/s/nesz93nkkrw4xg5/server-63565832627.txt?dl=0

Emby Classic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/27hssmm0iqsxqzs/MBClassic-284201531875f1803b34d97997fe962a8c52bcc.log?dl=0

There were no transcoding logs generated and no event viewer errors or warnings

Hope this helps...

Thanks for the logs but, unfortunately, they won't help.  Whatever this is is not writing to the log at all.

• Like 1

Nollog

Unfortunately, the issue doesn't seem to be a big concern amongst most of the core team. Few comments, no ideas put forth or things to try to eliminate it. Everything in the thread is the community blindly grasping at straws.

I'm cynical, so I'm thinking bitcoin miner.

Or maybe they're just the strong silent types who prefer xbox one dlna updates.

drashna

Thanks for the logs but, unfortunately, they won't help.  Whatever this is is not writing to the log at all.

Would a memory dump of the process help?

dark_slayer

Can't speak for everyone, but for me I was seeing a constant 14-15% on an i7-3370k

Until . . . build 3.0.5597.1

Now I'm idling all the way down to 0 unless a client is active. I'll check back tomorrow after all the external clients have come back online ;)

mikeferr82

Same thing happening on my PC. 28% cpu while sitting idle so i'm shutting down emby until this cpu usage issue gets resolved. And the ram usage, wow!  Has it always been this high?  I've recently been playing around with plex and noticed much less ram usage, granted i've only scanned my 350GB music library into it so far.

55461535b2256_Clipboard01.jpg

mrickman

I have the same problem.  What triggered my knowledge is that my external RAID drive is constantly being accessed.. not sure if it is reads or writes.  In checking the process list, I see that FFMPEG.exe is running in the background as high as 30-50% at times.  This happens both when I'm watching a show or movie, or when the system is completely idle.  If I restart the server, the problem discontinues for a while, then starts back up again.  What really concerns me is the constant disc usage.  I can tell because my drive light is constantly showing activity.

MndWrp

Disabling the music section of my library fixed the issue in my case. Although i wish the problem was officially resolved and have a music section...

dark_slayer

Spoke too soon. Couple of clients connected today, and were back at 15% while doing nothing

Not sure what "disabling the music section" was supposed to mean, but I went ahead and removed the paths to my music folder and restarted emby. We're back down to low idle, and my PWM CPU fan isn't audible once again. Funny, my ears are now getting tuned to hear <5% vs 10-20% vs 30+ on the CPU fan :)

MndWrp

Spoke too soon. Couple of clients connected today, and were back at 15% while doing nothing

Not sure what "disabling the music section" was supposed to mean, but I went ahead and removed the paths to my music folder and restarted emby. We're back down to low idle, and my PWM CPU fan isn't audible once again. Funny, my ears are now getting tuned to hear <5% vs 10-20% vs 30+ on the CPU fan :)

I simply meant removing the music paths, as you did... i guess disabling as in not having a music section..
  • Like 1

TheShanMan

I've had this issue for 2 or 3 weeks now. The unfortunate result in my case is the case fan ALWAYS runs on high. I finally got sick and tired enough of hearing the fan that I came here to find this long thread on the issue. I guess it's good that I'm not the only one. :)

I'm not sure what triggers the issue, but once it triggers, it never ends until I restart the service.

I've removed my music library since that seems to have helped for some. It didn't make a difference right off the bat so I restarted the service and it's been good for the first few minutes. Time will tell if the mysterious trigger will occur and start the problem again.

JeremyFr79

I decided to check my server here, running 3.0.5601.19119 on Server 2008 R2, not seeing anything abnormal here, 1-5 % usage at idle with no clients connected on a pair of X5570's, 500 or so MB of ram in use which is of no concern with 48GB of memory in the system. Removed music like others have and no change so issue doesn't seem to be effecting me. no abnormal traffic either between my Emby server and any of my file servers either.  Seems to be working as expected.  Make's me wonder if these issues are related to specific hardware or maybe even drivers?

metaman

Problems affects me as well. Tried disabling the music library, as suggested by some here. It didn't seem to have worked, as the cpu usage is back where it's normally been the last couple of week, at around 13-ish %. Something triggers it, but not sure what.

dark_slayer

I simply meant removing the music paths, as you did... i guess disabling as in not having a music section..

Thanks, seems to have helped me. Two of my three family external clients connected

With everything idle and no scheduled tasks running I'm seeing no CPU utilization from emby

If it matters or helps narrow anything down, the only clients connecting to me are android, kodi, and web

fuzzthekingoftrees

I decided to check my server here, running 3.0.5601.19119 on Server 2008 R2, not seeing anything abnormal here, 1-5 % usage at idle with no clients connected on a pair of X5570's, 500 or so MB of ram in use which is of no concern with 48GB of memory in the system. Removed music like others have and no change so issue doesn't seem to be effecting me. no abnormal traffic either between my Emby server and any of my file servers either.  Seems to be working as expected.  Make's me wonder if these issues are related to specific hardware or maybe even drivers?

if you have a pair of X5570 CPUs then you will only see maximum 6% CPU usage if you have the issue as it's 1 thread at 100%. At idle the media browser process uses 0% on my system. It's quite possible that this problem is affecting a lot of people without them even noticing. If you have plenty of cores there is no noticeable performance drop so you can only see the issue in task manager.

CDA714

I think the key here is that you are running the old Version of the server. Don't upgrade ... for now.

aquatarkus

Hi there

Its happening to me, and a friends HTPC as well. He has no music on the HTPC as MBT sucks at music.

I have MB server on a WHS 2011 HP microserver with the server pointed at my audio drive. my server sits at about 30% CPU and 50% disk usage at the moment even with nothing connected to it. Its not doing any scans or other scheduled tasks. On friends HTPC it slows the system down to a crawl and has to reboot then runs fine again for about an hour then back to a crawl again. I posted about this on another tread where we thought had fixed issues but seems to have come back with avengence.

Even trying to run MBT (latest version) keeps throwing up "error processing the request" every time try to do anything like actually watch a movie. Have uninstalled and reinstalled MBT and MBserver still same problems both MBT and server unresponsive and using CPU and disk all the time.

I have had to take the decision to to shutdown MB server and MBT and have gone to Plex as just can't stand any more having to fiddle and keep adjusting settings trying to get MBT and MB server working been spending more time trying to get MBT running than actually watching anything..

Friend is also currently evaluating Plex and unfortunately looks like he'll be going the same way.

Regards

Aquatarkus

JeremyFr79

if you have a pair of X5570 CPUs then you will only see maximum 6% CPU usage if you have the issue as it's 1 thread at 100%. At idle the media browser process uses 0% on my system. It's quite possible that this problem is affecting a lot of people without them even noticing. If you have plenty of cores there is no noticeable performance drop so you can only see the issue in task manager.

I was also looking at it after rebooting emby, as it sits right now since last night it's at 0% usage.  trust me if I saw a thread pegged at 100% I'd be complaining, but not seeing the issue here.

if any of you would like to try the new dev server going up now, please let me know if this helps or resolves the issue. thanks. And please remember the issue reported in this thread - high cpu usage when idle. Idle meaning no scheduled tasks running, no active users, etc. If that doesn't describe your issue then we can discuss that separately. 

mikeferr82

Started up emby & switched to dev updates. CPU usage shot up (and stayed) as soon as I hovered over the "hamburger" menu button and it flew out.

5547ca78e5a05_Clipboard01.jpg

Can you repeat the test and record the exact time of your particular actions? Then supply the server log, making sure debug logging is on. thanks.