Status of iOS App?

mediacowboy

SHSPVR
MSattler, on 27 Oct 2015 - 2:04 PM, said:MSattler, on 27 Oct 2015 - 2:04 PM, said:

Very soon.  Any day now.... =)

Not soon enough as I'm not getting any younger hehe

Edited by SHSPVR

mediacowboy

@@MadibaJ, I will say this they are pushing the iOS client. There are two bugs and they will resubmit. We all want this app. I already have five people asking me when it will be ready. 3 of them are family members and the other two run servers of their own.

SHSPVR
mediacowboy, on 27 Oct 2015 - 11:01 PM, said:

@@MadibaJ, I will say this they are pushing the iOS client. There are two bugs and they will resubmit. We all want this app. I already have five people asking me when it will be ready. 3 of them are family members and the other two run servers of their own.

We sure hope you or they will get it done by hopeful by christmas time as that would make a nice gift

Edited by SHSPVR

southard0410

mine also just stopped connecting - it just kept giving the rotating circle over...and over...and over...  correction - it would connect - it just wouldn't cast

Edited by southard0410

Deihmos

Can anyone get the web player to work reliably? I got it to work sometimes but now when press play nothing happens. It was always very slow to start but now it does not start. 

• Like 1

Can anyone get the web player to work reliably? I got it to work sometimes but now when press play nothing happens. It was always very slow to start but now it does not start.

ive been using the web player reliably for dlna control to my XBONE and direct play within iOS for over 6 months.

I built a new media server back in March and haven't had a problem since. There are so many variables to why things don't work it can be hard to track down but what I found was file formats and the power of the server to transcode if you aren't storing in native playing formats were the two most important things.

On DLNA to the XBONE I find the video app on the XB takes quite a while to load itself and I normally have to hit play a second time once it's loaded or audio plays without the video but it functions perfectly except that.

On direct play the format of videos (I've got everything from AVI to MKV to MP4 and folder Blu ray rips) and the power of your server are crucial. since my rebuild I can comfortably play all my formats (including the 1:1 Blu Ray rips) with minimal lag (and that's all over wifi and Powerline Ethernet that can be another factor). Sometimes the iOS play symbol seems to render in the wrong place so I'm in the habit of hitting play on the bottom of it which seems to work consistently.

I also had issues after setting up the server with HTTPS being blocked by my server and had to manually set that up in windows firewall. If you're using any 3rd party AV type stuff it's worth checking that's not trying to block it (or putting an unreasonable load on your CPU).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deihmos

ive been using the web player reliably for dlna control to my XBONE and direct play within iOS for over 6 months.

I built a new media server back in March and haven't had a problem since. There are so many variables to why things don't work it can be hard to track down but what I found was file formats and the power of the server to transcode if you aren't storing in native playing formats were the two most important things.

On DLNA to the XBONE I find the video app on the XB takes quite a while to load itself and I normally have to hit play a second time once it's loaded or audio plays without the video but it functions perfectly except that.

On direct play the format of videos (I've got everything from AVI to MKV to MP4 and folder Blu ray rips) and the power of your server are crucial. since my rebuild I can comfortably play all my formats (including the 1:1 Blu Ray rips) with minimal lag (and that's all over wifi and Powerline Ethernet that can be another factor). Sometimes the iOS play symbol seems to render in the wrong place so I'm in the habit of hitting play on the bottom of it which seems to work consistently.

I also had issues after setting up the server with HTTPS being blocked by my server and had to manually set that up in windows firewall. If you're using any 3rd party AV type stuff it's worth checking that's not trying to block it (or putting an unreasonable load on your CPU).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the whole problem with transcoding is emby does it even when it isn't necessary. Other apps simply transcode the audio with 0 hit on the CPU but emby will transcode the whole video with the cpu hitting near 100%. I guess you get direct play on ios with mp4 and aac audio. I don't use those formats.  WIth mkv h264 and ac3 audio my cpu hits nearly 100% on emby but 0 on other apps playing the same video.

Edited by Deihmos

Deihmos

@@ads

Edit. I went ahead and installed kodi on the iPhone. Not the best ui but it works and no more transcoding.

Edited by Deihmos

deepseth

Per http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/27030-symbol-errors-with-mobilevlckit-when-trying-to-compile-from-source/ I can certainly say the new app looks very much like the web interface, just a lot more responsive, and makes for a nice remote control to the web interface.

...unfortunately that's about as far as I can go, since local playback / sync / etc all require an in app purchase / purchase of emby premiere.

@@ads

Edit. I went ahead and installed kodi on the iPhone. Not the best ui but it works and no more transcoding.

Does it communicate directly with Emby server?

Deihmos

Does it communicate directly with Emby server?

Yes it does using the emby addon. I can play back everything remotely without any transcode but kodi isn't meant for a phone so I don't like it.

Edited by Deihmos
  • Like 1

Yep, the old ios app have now completely stopped working, so can't cast to any Chromecasts, unless I lug my laptop around to each TV.

Am I right in saying that there is no way to cast from any IOS device until the new app gets released?

Might have to move to something else.

Thanks in advance.

Duff

What a about carplay for the new IOS app? Does it support Apple Carplay? This would be a nice feature!!!

Edited by chvb

My friend and I (mostly my friend) spent some time today compiling the iOS source. I have it all working on my iPhone now. A couple of first impressions...

The Good:

• Looks nice overall.
  • Auto-playing content after pre-roll videos (web client was a pain to get the videos started).
  • Better overall experience than the web app for watching on the device (AirPlay mentioned later).
  • Finally getting to play with it on iOS.
The Bad:
  • Very bad AirPlay implementation (quite disappointing – you must mirror your entire device to use AirPlay – even more troublesome than the web app).
  • Without going through the code yet, it seems to be very heavy on web elements. Doesn't seem like a web wrapper or completely native, but maybe something in the middle.
  • The player is pretty much an exact copy of the web player on the computer (including the size of the controls – very small and awkward on iPhone).

Luke in response below: "Airplay can be improved. The Connect SDK that we're using supports it, including sending media directly without using the mirror function. It just hasn't been done yet."

I'm unfortunately disappointed in my particular situation. I typically use my iPhone to stream the videos to my Apple TV. The web app in Safari worked fine for a while, but it stopped wanting to play the video if I locked the phone after iOS 9.1 (it continued to play after locking in prior iOS versions). I have been very excited for some time now about the iOS app and its [hopeful] improvements to AirPlay, but unfortunately the implementation in the app is even worse than Safari. :(

On the bright side, the experience of consuming your content on the device itself is a large improvement when compared to the web app in Safari. I can see where the player controls have a lot of room for refinement to better suit the smaller screen of the iPhone, but its currently not debilitating.

Edit: To the devs that have been working hard on the app:

I'm still very excited for the public release, but I do hope to see some improvements made to the AirPlay implementation. Everything else I've been able to play with so far seems nice. It's cool to see Emby running in an actual app. :D

Edited by dme

Airplay can be improved. The Connect SDK that we're using supports it, including sending media directly without using the mirror function. It just hasn't been done yet.

Airplay can be improved. The Connect SDK that we're using supports it, including sending media directly without using the mirror function. It just hasn't been done yet.

Wonderful! Two things that I feel would make Emby perfect (regarding AirPlay):

1. Send the media directly (at least give the option).
  2. Ensure that it continues to play while the app is in the background and/or the screen is locked.

I plan to start digging into the source a little more when I have some time. I'm impressed at the scale of Emby every time I peek in there. Haha. 

On a side note: where might I find out more about the history of Emby and its development team?

Edited by dme

DruTheFu

If I could get an iOS Emby app that would function AT LEAST as good as the retired Media Browser for iOS app, I'd be perfectly happy.  Currently not having a way to successfully watch my media *cough* Web Browser *cough* is really all I have at the moment. (sad face)

It's coming. We just finally resubmitted to apple several days ago, and it's now waiting for review.

• Like 4

im85288

Spannend! Hopelijk laat het nu niet meer te lang op zich wachten!

English only please, not everyone here speaks Dutch :)