Status of iOS App?

mediacowboy

mediacowboy

I might buy this app, if it's good  :)

However, I still want Safari browser works in HTTPS also though.

You will not be disappointed with the new version. 

I might buy this app, if it's good :)

However, I still want Safari browser works in HTTPS also though.

HTTPS works for me in the browser, you just may need to manually allow media browser to pass through HTTPS on your server.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

techworld

HTTPS works for me in the browser, you just may need to manually allow media browser to pass through HTTPS on your server.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I did port forwarding HTTP and HTTPS on my router.

I don't have any issue playing the media on computer on LAN or WAN, just my iPhone.

Edited by techworld

I did port forwarding HTTP and HTTPS on my router.

I don't have any issue playing the media on computer on LAN or WAN, just my iPhone.

I have the same problem.  HTTPS works fine on my computers wherever I am, but media playback will not work on my iPhone via HTTPS.

• 2 weeks later...
Catsrules

Just an FYI the new Plex IOS app is terible, and they removed adding a server manualy as well, so now would be an excelent time for a new shinny EMBY IOS app to emerge :)

raven-au

Just an FYI the new Plex IOS app is terible, and they removed adding a server manualy as well, so now would be an excelent time for a new shinny EMBY IOS app to emerge :)

Terrible is probably not the word I would have used but, yes, the app is a backward step.

I found it annoying that layout design changes left me wondering what to do at some points!

Since I need young children to be able to use it (read 3 and 5) it's not too good as, if I'm left wondering what to do they will certainly be lost.

Yet they were OK, with a little help, with the previous app.

And then there's the Android TV app, mmm that layout is very poor ....

I suppose I can say it plays what I throw at it without transcoding, as long as I make sure the pass-thru option is set properly on specific devices, so it doesn't hang.

No prizes for guessing what brought me to Emby!

Ian

Edited by raven-au

We kept getting told the iOS app will be released soon, that's near on 6 months...could we have a honest estimate when it will at least go Beta?

I agree Plex's new iOS app has issues, but big an issue as they may be it is light years ahead of Emby's current iOS offering....

Edited by Scot

The new iOS app has been in beta for quite a while.  It really is close but it will be just a little while longer.  No, I cannot say exactly when because there are just too many variables in play including a completely undefined store approval process.

mediacowboy

I know I am the one that started this thread. I want to let everyone know I am also beta testing the new iOS app. You will not be disappointed with it. Yes there have been delays but I believe that when you get the app it will just work. I speak for myself here but that is what this app needed was it to just work. I am not the developer so I can't give you a time frame but I believe we are close for a first release. Please bear with the team and the tester's as we finish polishing up the app.

• Like 1

techworld

I like Emby, but there is a lot of work to be done in order to compete with Plex.

Current Issues that I know:

1. HTTPS isn't reliable connect via Emby Connect.

2. Media isn't playing on some mobile devices such as iPhone.

3. DLNA profiles are missing for some TVs.

4. Mobile iOS is in development...

5. High CPU usage.

Edited by techworld

raven-au

I like Emby, but there is a lot of work to be done in order to compete with Plex.

For me it's not a matter of competing with Plex, and probably shouldn't be viewed that way.

The number of people (employees) Plex has is far greater and the time of development is also much longer to mention just two things.

Also Emby has different goals and direction.

I think it's a matter of whether the Emby feature set provides what you need now or will in the near future and that's all.

• Like 1

im85288

I am not the developer either but have also been beta testing the new app for some time and it keeps improving on a daily basis. A lot of work is going on behind the scenes so please be patient. Here's a screenshot of the apps new icon

BNsjQ2d.jpg

Thanks for the update, would have loved to have been in the Alpha/Beta testing...currently I have a very good set up to be able to do this...

For me the only thing stopping me from jumping ship from Plex to Emby is an iOS client....whilst some features may not be present in Emby that Plex have I believe Emby has spades in other areas (such as Live TV)....

Again, thanks for the update.

-SM

shadowofjazz

For those in need of a temporary app solution, if you're jailbroken and have iFile installed, you can install Kodi for iOS and subsequently install Emby for Kodi.

Step 1 - Install Kodi for iOS (http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_iOS)

Step 2 - Download Emby for Kodi on your iOS device by clicking this link and selecting open in iFile: http://www.mb3admin.com/downloads/addons/xbmb3c/kodi-repo/repository.emby.kodi-1.0.2.zip

Step 3 - in iFile, cut and paste the Emby repository zip file from /var/mobile/documents to /var/mobile/media/kodi (you'll have to make the kodi folder).

Step 4 - Launch Kodi for iOS, hit the gear icon to enter settings, then hit the puzzle to enter add ons. Select "install from zip file" and navigate to Home folder > media > kodi and select the Emby repository to install it.

Step 5 - Install Emby from the Emby repository by hitting install from repository (these instructions are the same as the normal Emby for Kodi instructions).

Step 6 - If you are using a dynamic dns host, you'll want to configure the Emby primary server address to be your dynamic dns address without the "http://" and with the correct port. This will allow access to the Emby server even if you are away from home (as long as you have dynamic dns or a static external IP and you have your router's firewall set up properly).

Step 7 - I would install the Mimic skin for Kodi so you have better touch support. If you have the HD Homerun DVR service, you can also set this up so you have it on iOS (even though there isn't a supported iOS app yet). You'll have to look into how to install both of those on your own as they involve further steps.

Edited by shadowofjazz

MadibaJ

For those in need of a temporary app solution, if you're jailbroken and have iFile installed, you can install Kodi for iOS and subsequently install Emby for Kodi.

Step 1 - Install Kodi for iOS (http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Install_Kodi_for_iOS)

Step 2 - Download Emby for Kodi on your iOS device by clicking this link and selecting open in iFile: http://www.mb3admin.com/downloads/addons/xbmb3c/kodi-repo/repository.emby.kodi-1.0.2.zip

Step 3 - in iFile, cut and paste the Emby repository zip file from /var/mobile/documents to /var/mobile/media/kodi (you'll have to make the kodi folder).

Step 4 - Launch Kodi for iOS, hit the gear icon to enter settings, then hit the puzzle to enter add ons. Select "install from zip file" and navigate to Home folder > media > kodi and select the Emby repository to install it.

Step 5 - Install Emby from the Emby repository by hitting install from repository (these instructions are the same as the normal Emby for Kodi instructions).

Step 6 - If you are using a dynamic dns host, you'll want to configure the Emby primary server address to be your dynamic dns address without the "http://" and with the correct port. This will allow access to the Emby server even if you are away from home (as long as you have dynamic dns or a static external IP and you have your router's firewall set up properly).

Step 7 - I would install the Mimic skin for Kodi so you have better touch support. If you have the HD Homerun DVR service, you can also set this up so you have it on iOS (even though there isn't a supported iOS app yet). You'll have to look into how to install both of those on your own as they involve further steps.

...Or they could release the IOS app....

• Like 1

Yep, not interested in Jailbreaking...especially not interested in Kodi on my iPhone/iPad when I want a complete app feel...don't get me wrong I use Kodi with the Emby on my big screens...

- SM

• Like 1