Status of iOS App?

mediacowboy

Because development is ongoing even while it's going through the store process. For example just yesterday i gave them a new audio player using VlcKit, so now the app doesn't require any transcoding for music.

deepseth

Time to take a crash course in swift then, as this is definitely in my interests.

Have you noticed any CPU hit / battery drain on the iOS devices utilising VLCKit compared to transcoding at the server side to supply natively supported formats?

Time to take a crash course in swift then, as this is definitely in my interests.

Have you noticed any CPU hit / battery drain on the iOS devices utilising VLCKit compared to transcoding at the server side to supply natively supported formats?

I'm probably wrong, but I'd imagine the VLCKit just has codecs to play more file types. If that's the case, it doesn't seem like it would affect the battery life much.

AdrianW

I'm probably wrong, but I'd imagine the VLCKit just has codecs to play more file types. If that's the case, it doesn't seem like it would affect the battery life much.

iOS devices have specially optimised hardware decoders for native formats. Other codecs would have to use software and therefore the main CPU which would use more power.

• Like 2

iOS devices have specially optimised hardware decoders for native formats. Other codecs would have to use software and therefore the main CPU which would use more power.

Fair enough.

Is that right ...

Mobile Apps

Take your media with you wherever you go, even offline with Emby Mobile Sync. Emby apps are available for Android, iPhone, iPad, Windows Phone and Windows Tablets.

Yes, it is. Until the native iOS app is released, the web app is a fully usable app that we specifically test and maintain safari support for.

• Like 4

In another ios thread Luke has mentioned the ios has passed the iTunes store process and is just waiting for offline sync to be completed before it will be available

This app can't come soon enough.

On my iPhone, I've been using the Media Browser for iOS app, and life was good, with the exception that my library wasn't always sync'ing to what was actually on my server.  So I tried to correct this by deleting the app from my phone, and then reinstall.  BUT, the app is not available to reinstall since Apple decided to remove the app from their store.  Now I'm trying to stream via my phone's browsers, both Safari and Chrome, but the video/audio stops every 15 seconds and seems to buffer, something I never experienced via the app.

PLEASE come soon app, you're my only hope!

I agree. The iOS mobile web "app" is unusable as a media viewer (iPhone 5s & iPad 2)...too much buffering. Luckily I still have the Media Browser native app installed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't have many issues with the mobile site on iOS. That being said, I've spent a lot of time writing scripts to automate everything from downloading, organizing, and encoding with HandBrakeCLI. It ensures that my poor little laptop (working as my server) doesn't have to work hard to stream it to me. My current setup is kinda nice.

I'm of course looking forward to the app still. I can imagine it'll be much more suited to iPhone.

overClocked!

This app can't come soon enough.

On my iPhone, I've been using the Media Browser for iOS app, and life was good, with the exception that my library wasn't always sync'ing to what was actually on my server. So I tried to correct this by deleting the app from my phone, and then reinstall. BUT, the app is not available to reinstall since Apple decided to remove the app from their store. Now I'm trying to stream via my phone's browsers, both Safari and Chrome, but the video/audio stops every 15 seconds and seems to buffer, something I never experienced via the app.

PLEASE come soon app, you're my only hope!

@@DruTheFu...Did you ever backup or sync your iphone with iTunes while the iOS app was installed? If so, you may still have the original MediaBrowswer iPhone app in your iTunes library and can re-sync it back to your iPhone. Give that a try. [emoji6]

In another ios thread Luke has mentioned the ios has passed the iTunes store process and is just waiting for offline sync to be completed before it will be available

Are you kidding me ... It seems they forgot!

mediacowboy

Are you kidding me ... It seems they forgot!

What do you mean they forgot? I can promise you that this app is still very much under development.

Yes, the store submission process took so much longer than expected, and we have a really nice update coming so we're just going to have that update be the initial release. It should be done sometime this week and then I'll submit it, and submitting updates is much faster than the initial run. I'm sorry, but more than one of the rejections that caused the delay were through no fault of our own, and everytime we had a dialogue with apple, or had to resubmit, they took 7-10 days to respond. Just to give you one example, they clearly had multiple reviewers involved because one of them failed us on account of not being able to locate the in-app purchase to test it, even though the previous reviewer had gotten farther, and it's all covered in the app description. That is one example and it caused a 10 day delay. I'm really sorry but there's nothing I can do about that, but we have been working really hard on the app the entire time.

• Like 4

Yes, the store submission process took so much longer than expected, and we have a really nice update coming so we're just going to have that update be the initial release. It should be done sometime this week and then I'll submit it, and submitting updates is much faster than the initial run. I'm sorry, but more than one of the rejections that caused the delay were through no fault of our own, and everytime we had a dialogue with apple, or had to resubmit, they took 7-10 days to respond. Just to give you one example, they clearly had multiple reviewers involved because one of them failed us on account of not being able to locate the in-app purchase to test it, even though the previous reviewer had gotten farther, and it's all covered in the app description. That is one example and it caused a 10 day delay. I'm really sorry but there's nothing I can do about that, but we have been working really hard on the app the entire time.

Queue my excited again.

It's the same playback unlock as the Android TV app. We have taken the extra time to work on mobile sync, and since now it's so close to completion i'd like to just get it done.

• Like 1

mediacowboy

The new app already supports iOS 9. In fact it supported it before it was released to the public.