FreeNAS plugin

Luke

pclausen

Ok, I stood up a 2nd instance of Emby, and I was able to set a password for my account.  2nd issue remains (no auto refresh from browser pointed to jail web interface), but at least when I hit the browser refresh button, it doesn't take me to the authentication screen every time.

However, switching from Firefox to Explorer makes the refresh issue go away.

I'm going to carry out the 'option 2' steps to have Emby run as user 'media' next and check that is not what breaks my ability to set a password for an Emby user.

Edited by pclausen

pclausen

I'm happy to report that carrying out the 'option 2' steps didn't break authentication, so I'm all good now.  Going to blow away both Emby jails and create what will hopefully be my final one!  Can't have emby_2 be my permanent jail name.  It has to be emby_1.  :)

pclausen

Ok, this is really weird.  I blew away emby_1 and emby_2 jails and then installed emby from scratch and now I'm getting the 'invalid username or password' as soon as I try to set my password.  This is before doing anything else in the emby plugin.

So does deleting a plug-in not truly delete everything related to it?  Is there something else I need to do in order to erase all traces of it before re-installing?

Edited by pclausen

josh4trunks

Ok, this is really weird. I blew away emby_1 and emby_2 jails and then installed emby from scratch and now I'm getting the 'invalid username or password' as soon as I try to set my password. This is before doing anything else in the emby plugin.

So does deleting a plug-in not truly delete everything related to it? Is there something else I need to do in order to erase all traces of it before re-installing?

if you delete a plugin, and there's no other plugins related to a plugin jail (like for emby_1) the jail+dataset it's installed to should be deleted.

so embys acting like it was never deleted? when you do a fresh install of emby you can check there is no /var/db/emby-server before starting it.

Edited by josh4trunks

pclausen

I deleted all my plugins and all storage associated to all jails.  I rebooted the FreeNAS server.  Did a fresh install of emby, checked that there was no /var/db/emby-server (there wasn't).  Started the emby plugin, went to the emby webpage, skipped adding storage, and went straight to the account and attempted to set my password.  Same error as before.

I added a 2nd emby jail, went through the same process, and no error when setting my password.  If I delete emby_1, is there a way I can rename emby_2 to emby_1?  I guess its not the end of the world if I can't but its weird I have to install a 2nd emby jail in order to set passwords on my emby accounts.

I did not have this issue when I tested last month.  FreeNAS version is latest stable (STABLE-201505130355).

Edited by pclausen

josh4trunks

I deleted all my plugins and all storage associated to all jails. I rebooted the FreeNAS server. Did a fresh install of emby, checked that there was no /var/db/emby-server (there wasn't). Started the emby plugin, went to the emby webpage, skipped adding storage, and went straight to the account and attempted to set my password. Same error as before.

I added a 2nd emby jail, went through the same process, and no error when setting my password. If I delete emby_1, is there a way I can rename emby_2 to emby_1? I guess its not the end of the world if I can't but its weird I have to install a 2nd emby jail in order to set passwords on my emby accounts.

I did not have this issue when I tested last month. FreeNAS version is latest stable (STABLE-201505130355).

maybe the issue is stale credentials in your browser. can you try accessing it in private mode?

jail renaming is not possible without some under the hood SQL hacking

Edited by josh4trunks

pclausen

Ah that's what it was.  Went to another computer running Windows 10 and using the Sparta browser was able to login and set passwords on my emby accounts.  The browser refresh also works fine on Sparta.  Not sure why Firefox has issues with that.  Doesn't with the Windows version of Emby.

josh4trunks

Ah that's what it was.  Went to another computer running Windows 10 and using the Sparta browser was able to login and set passwords on my emby accounts.  The browser refresh also works fine on Sparta.  Not sure why Firefox has issues with that.  Doesn't with the Windows version of Emby.

Probably something weird with the browser+OS+addons configuration? I'm using firefox+linux to access my Emby and have never had any issues.

Someone else recently had an issue with chrome reseting weird stuff in their transmission webui. They tracked it down to an addon they installed.

• Like 1

pclausen

I read back near the beginning of this thread about issues with path substitution that was solved in later releases of Emby.

I thought I had my path substitutions set up correctly since I'm able to play my titles fine from my HTPC running Emby Theater.

However, my Roku isn't able to play the titles.

Here's my path substitution on FreeNAS:

embypathsub.PNG

Like I said, the above works great on my HTPC, but not on my Roku.

Here's how I have path substitution setup on my Windows Emby server, and I can play titles fine on both my HTPC and Roku from it:

embypathsub2.PNG

Any ideas?

Roku does not have file system access so it will always stream through the server.

pclausen

Thanks Luke.  Here's the Emby log when I attempt to play a title via the Roku.  So do I need to set some additional read access to allow Roku to stream from the Emby plugin?

Could it have something to do with me changing the default user Emby runs as from 'emby' to 'media'?

rokudenied.PNG

Edited by pclausen

josh4trunks

Thanks Luke.  Here's the Emby log when I attempt to play a title via the Roku.  So do I need to set some additional read access to allow Roku to stream from the Emby plugin?

Could it have something to do with me changing the default user Emby runs as from 'emby' to 'media'?

rokudenied.PNG

No, Roku doesn't care what user Emby is running as in the jail. Maybe you need to forget + reconnect to Emby from Roku so it gets a new authentication token?

pclausen

Ok I have tried the following to no avail:

1. Power Cycle Roku

2. Disconnect from emby_1 from Roku and reconnect

3. Delete servers from Roku and re-add

4. Delete Roku channel and re-add and connect to server manually

5. Manually added new server entry by IP address

I can browse my media from the Roko fine, but just can't play any titles.

I should note that the Roku sees 2 emby_1 servers.  I tried deleting them both, but it will only let me delete one of them.  Even after deleting the Roku channel and adding it back, the Roku sees one of the emby_1 servers right away and just asks me to choose one of my logins.

I wonder if these troubleshooting steps I did yesterday on the FreeNAS server are the culprit?

1. Add emby_1 plugin 10.0.1.100

2. Add emby_2 plugin 10.0.1.103 (had 2 other plugins/jails "in between")

3. Delete emby_1 plugin

4. Change IP on emby_2 plugin to 10.0.1.100

5. Delete all plugins

6. Add emby_1 plugin 10.0.1.100

7. Add emby_2 plugin 10.0.1.101

I did some other stuff I don't quite remember.  But I do know that when I finally got it working, I had 2 emby jails and deleted emby_2 and changed the IP of emby_1 to 10.0.1.100.

I suppose maybe my next step would be to:

1. Delete the emby channel on the Roku

2. Delete the emby plugin on FreeNAS (so there are no plugins installed at all)

3. Reboot FreeNAS

4. Add emby plugin

5. Add emby channel on Roku

Edited by pclausen

i would post a server log from a playback attempt. the above is saving metadata which doesn't have anything to do with roku playback

pclausen

Ok will do that Luke.  3:10 to Yuma was the title I was attempting to play on the Roku.  Once it failed, I walked from the bedroom back to the office and looked at the bottom of the log file where I found that access denied error for the matching title.

I'll do it again, this time with my laptop in the bedroom tailing the log file to see if I see anything else that is more relevant.

pclausen

Ok, I got Roku queued up and ready to play a movie, cleared the log file, pressed play, then captured the contents of the log file:

moreemby1.PNG

moreemby2.PNG

Edited by pclausen

pclausen

I got it working.  Had to mkdir /var/db/emby-server/transcoding-temp and then chown to emby:emby

embychown.PNG

Not sure why I had to do that by hand, but I'm glad I finally got it working!

Edited by pclausen
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Narnian

I'm interested in building a dedicated system to MB I have been looking at specs for FreeNas I picked out all the high end parts but I am still unclear if this is the best way I should go. Is there a recommendation from the Emby team? Here is my use I am involved with a Film Festival that runs in cities throughout the country, I want to allow those who do the festival to stream the videos to the perspective theaters, we are a non profit group so I am not looking at Computer rooms with rack mounted server blades my budget is $2,000. ideas would be welcomed. 

• 2 months later...

Is anyone else having plugin issues? I have installed the Mediaportal and configuration backup plugins. However, they intermittantly disappear.

It is very frustrating and I have yet to have the Mediaportal guide successfully populate.

If anyone has insight into this issue, I would appreciate the help.

• 2 weeks later...
rubenverhoef

i have a really big issue with FreeNas, when i start a stream on the (local)web client sometimes my whole freenas system restarts and sometimes just shuts down.

Can someone tell me where i can find the logs of that? in the emby logs there is nothing.

I Think it has something to do with ffmpeg transcoding?

Edited by rubenverhoef

You can check here:

http://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/790-how-to-report-a-problem/

There are multiple ways to access Emby Server log files.

• Logs can be accessed directly within the server's web interface by navigating to Help -> Logs.
  • Additionally, the front page of the Emby Server Dashboard contains the path to your logs folder.

If you're having difficulty using the web interface, logs can be found at:

Windows: %appdata%\Emby-Server\logs

You also can check the GUI for the path (there is a tab on the home screen)

rubenverhoef

i have a really big issue with FreeNas, when i start a stream on the (local)web client sometimes my whole freenas system restarts and sometimes just shuts down.

Can someone tell me where i can find the logs of that? in the emby logs there is nothing.

I Think it has something to do with ffmpeg transcoding?

I saw more problems when the freenas setup started some applications. So i reinstalled the OS, hopefolly that was it and not emby.

• 1 month later...

With the latest version 3.0.5768.7 I do have some problems. Currently I cannot add anything to my collection. When trying to add something Emby is not reacting any longer...

any ideas ?