FreeNAS plugin

Luke

Baenwort

Josh, would it be helpful for those of us who encounter the issue with the plugin not showing on the left control area, and who have trouble with using the Plugins > Installed page to start the plugin, to go and create a thread in the linked FreeNAS forum that Eternally linked?

If I understand you and Luke correctly the CPU usage issue should be resolved with a forth coming Emby update that we haven't received here.

josh4trunks

Josh, would it be helpful for those of us who encounter the issue with the plugin not showing on the left control area, and who have trouble with using the Plugins > Installed page to start the plugin, to go and create a thread in the linked FreeNAS forum that Eternally linked?

If I understand you and Luke correctly the CPU usage issue should be resolved with a forth coming Emby update that we haven't received here.

Yes, that's a FreeNAS plugin infrastructure related issue (not specific to Emby on FreeNAS) so that'd be the better place to post about it.

I'm not sure when the CPU issue was corrrected, but the latest stable v3.0.5607.2 is out for FreeNAS.

EndoMorph

Hello guys

want to ask if someone compile and install Emby from ports to a standard jail in freenas?

Or does everyone use the plugin?

Becaus my compiling and installing of Emby in a fresh jail lasts about 3 hours (with every dependency)...

So what about updates of emby or other dependencys?

Is Emby problematic with updating some of the dependencys?

And another question:

Plex has some trouble with updating the freenas plugin (at first a backup of the entire database of plex, then the installation of the new plugin and then the restore of the database...)

Does Emby handle the update (of the jail) in another way?

Cheers

EndoMorph

josh4trunks

Hello guys

want to ask if someone compile and install Emby from ports to a standard jail in freenas?

Or does everyone use the plugin?

Becaus my compiling and installing of Emby in a fresh jail lasts about 3 hours (with every dependency)...

So what about updates of emby or other dependencys?

Is Emby problematic with updating some of the dependencys?

And another question:

Plex has some trouble with updating the freenas plugin (at first a backup of the entire database of plex, then the installation of the new plugin and then the restore of the database...)

Does Emby handle the update (of the jail) in another way?

Cheers

EndoMorph

It's your choice if you want to use the plugin or ports/packages.

You don't have to compile Emby, you can install it from packages. As far a dependency issues, I think it runs better with mono 3.10 then the latest version of mono. You also need to configure ffmpeg to enable LAME (mp3's) and ASS (subtitles). These are things that you don't need to worry about with the plugin.

I don't personally use Plex, but I am the one who compiles and tweaks both the Plex and Emby plugins for FreeNAS. What version of Plex were you trying to update? Older versions had difficulty updating because of where they kept their metadata; I fixed this for the last few versions so updates should run smoother. Emby and the last few versions of Plex handle updates the same.

EndoMorph

Thanks for your answer.

I already read this with LAME and ASS and these options were already set when i compiled Emby.

I don't know which version of Plex i started to use with FreeNAS but at this moment the best practice was to install Plex manually.

I will give the latest version of mono a try, at the moment i've got no problems with it!

josh4trunks

Thanks for your answer.

I already read this with LAME and ASS and these options were already set when i compiled Emby.

I don't know which version of Plex i started to use with FreeNAS but at this moment the best practice was to install Plex manually.

I will give the latest version of mono a try, at the moment i've got no problems with it!

the latest version is the one that causes issues. feel free to try it but I don't think it'll work well.

EndoMorph

the latest version is the one that causes issues. feel free to try it but I don't think it'll work well.

This is my actual version:

Mono JIT compiler version 4.0.1 (tarball Wed May 20 21:10:31 UTC 2015)

Could you specify some problems? maybe i could test something!

josh4trunks

I don't remember what they were, but they cropped up in v3.12 I believe.

if you search this forum they were discussed. That would be great if they were resolved in v4

EndoMorph

Alright, short overview of my first experience:

Library scan lasts about 5 seconds if there are no changes 

Last Scan with changes (5 new episodes) lasts about 13 seconds 

I think this is not too slow.

The navigation in dashboard run smoothly.

Transcoding works from 1080p to 720p.

Direct playing to Samsung App works also.

Maybe if someone remember a special problem i could try to simulate it.

kjp4756

Alright, short overview of my first experience:

Library scan lasts about 5 seconds if there are no changes 

Last Scan with changes (5 new episodes) lasts about 13 seconds 

I think this is not too slow.

The navigation in dashboard run smoothly.

Transcoding works from 1080p to 720p.

Direct playing to Samsung App works also.

Maybe if someone remember a special problem i could try to simulate it.

How are your scans so quick?  Mine takes 12 minutes with no changes.  I have 1100 movies in one section and a couple hundred tv episodes in another section.  Chapter image extraction is turned off and none of the auto-update images are turned on.

How are your scans so quick?  Mine takes 12 minutes with no changes.  I have 1100 movies in one section and a couple hundred tv episodes in another section.  Chapter image extraction is turned off and none of the auto-update images are turned on.

can you provide a server log of it in debug mode? thanks.

EndoMorph

I think my media library is not as large as yours.

i just have about 100 movies and 1000 episodes...

But maybe the location of the media files is important.

Mine is on a RAID Z (ZFS Raid 5) and if yours is on an external hdd this could be a reason!

For example, unpacking a 5,67GB File lasts 1 minute 51 seconds.

Could you compare this in your environment? 

Cheers

EndoMorph

kjp4756

can you provide a server log of it in debug mode? thanks.

Log is attached.  I am using the freebsd ports version though.  Mono 3.10, ffmpeg with lame and ASS, imagemagick with q8.

I think my media library is not as large as yours.

i just have about 100 movies and 1000 episodes...

But maybe the location of the media files is important.

Mine is on a RAID Z (ZFS Raid 5) and if yours is on an external hdd this could be a reason!

For example, unpacking a 5,67GB File lasts 1 minute 51 seconds.

Could you compare this in your environment? 

Cheers

EndoMorph

TV shows go quickly for me.  Movies is when mine slows to a crawl.  It may be because of the amount of movies that I have.

My server is a e3-1220 xeon with 16GB ram.  2 WD Red 3TB drives which are a mirrored zfs pool.  My zfs pool speed isn't too bad.  It took me maybe 5 minutes to extract 60GB worth of files.

I did try mono 4 (the latest one in ports as of now) and it didn't speed anything up.  It did break DLNA however.  I went back to mono 3.10 before I made the log.

server-63567921783.txt

Edited by kjp4756

josh4trunks

I'm not exactly sure how (re)scans work. but maybe it's hanging on a few movies it can't identify? my movies get identified efficiently because I include an NFO file.

EndoMorph

Log is attached.  I am using the freebsd ports version though.  Mono 3.10, ffmpeg with lame and ASS, imagemagick with q8.

TV shows go quickly for me.  Movies is when mine slows to a crawl.  It may be because of the amount of movies that I have.

My server is a e3-1220 xeon with 16GB ram.  2 WD Red 3TB drives which are a mirrored zfs pool.  My zfs pool speed isn't too bad.  It took me maybe 5 minutes to extract 60GB worth of files.

I did try mono 4 (the latest one in ports as of now) and it didn't speed anything up.  It did break DLNA however.  I went back to mono 3.10 before I made the log.

Your hardware is more powerful than mine! 

For reference i've done the same (log in debug), the file is attached (but i think the library scan has no debug logging... 

How do you use DLNA?

Is DLNA used for direct streaming?

This works for me well!

EDIT: Just added a new music library (this scan takes also long!) and played some music over dlna to my Yamaha RX-V475

This prints some errors in debug log but the musik played well

server-63567924106-6.txt

Edited by EndoMorph

kjp4756

What permissions does emby server need on the media files?  Currently on my system emby has read access to all my media files.  The emby group also is able to delete files.  I use ACLs to achieve this.  NFSv4 acls I beleive.  

Here is the truss output for when a library scan is running:

access("/media/Movies/The Arrival.mp4",2)  ERR#13 'Permission denied'
stat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.mp4",{ mode=-rw-r--r-- ,inode=265,size=2004015832,blksize=131072 }) = 0 (0x0)
lstat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.mp4",{ mode=-rw-r--r-- ,inode=265,size=2004015832,blksize=131072 }) = 0 (0x0)
geteuid()  = 989 (0x3dd)
getegid()  = 989 (0x3dd)
stat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.xml",0x7fffff332b30) ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
lstat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.xml",0x7fffff332b30) ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
access("/media/Movies",0)  = 0 (0x0)
stat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.xml",0x7fffff332b18) ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
lstat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.xml",0x7fffff332b18) ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
stat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.mp4",{ mode=-rw-r--r-- ,inode=265,size=2004015832,blksize=131072 }) = 0 (0x0)
lstat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.mp4",{ mode=-rw-r--r-- ,inode=265,size=2004015832,blksize=131072 }) = 0 (0x0)
geteuid()  = 989 (0x3dd)
getegid()  = 989 (0x3dd)

josh4trunks

What permissions does emby server need on the media files?  Currently on my system emby has read access to all my media files.  The emby group also is able to delete files.  I use ACLs to achieve this.  NFSv4 acls I beleive.  

Here is the truss output for when a library scan is running:

geteuid()  = 989 (0x3dd)
getegid()  = 989 (0x3dd)
stat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.xml",0x7fffff332b30) ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
lstat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.xml",0x7fffff332b30) ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
stat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.xml",0x7fffff332b18) ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
lstat("/media/Movies/The Arrival.xml",0x7fffff332b18) ERR#2 'No such file or directory'
geteuid()  = 989 (0x3dd)
getegid()  = 989 (0x3dd)

I don't know anything about ACLS, but as far regular UNIX permissions Emby should be able to operate with ether read-only or read-write.

PhilWhite

I just wanted to log in to say thank you for this terrific plugin.  Plexmediaserver is good, but I prefer the look, feel and responsiveness of Emby.  I'm now a lifetime donor and look forward to many years of enjoying your hard work.  It is much appreciated.

Only question -- has anyone tried to incorporate the EmbyTV addon into Emby on a FreeNAS box?

PhilWhite

Don't mean to derail thread, but EmbyTV works perfectly well in FreeNAS.  If any haven't tried it I recommend giving it a try. Thanks again for all your hard work.  This Emby plugin for FreeNAS is outstanding.

• Like 1

Vidman

Don't mean to derail thread, but EmbyTV works perfectly well in FreeNAS. If any haven't tried it I recommend giving it a try. Thanks again for all your hard work. This Emby plugin for FreeNAS is outstanding.

What hardware are you using?

PhilWhite

What hardware are you using?

Not near my machine now, but if I recall correctly a Supermicro X9s board with 16 GB ECC RAM and a Xeon E3 1230 processor

I basically followed the FreeNAS folks general recommendations from a year or two ago

Edited by PhilWhite

PhilWhite

And what tuner?

Sorry, forgot to add that part.  HDHR -- the Extend and Connect.  I only have Emby TV using the Extend with transcoding set to Heavy.

Vidman

Thanks, I was hoping to get the extend, but the Australian distributor recently told me silicon dust will not be producing a compatible version for the Australian market: (