FreeNAS plugin

Luke

Hisma

well after trying out mb3 server on my windows VM, along with nextpvr live TV plugin, I decided to uninstall both and revert back to what I had before, my mb3 & mythtv jails.  Didn't feel like I gained anything going the windows route... no difference at all on the windows version of mb3 server.  and mythtv is superior to nextpvr for live tv (except for the web interface), I couldn't even get nextpvr to work in mb theater either.  

So sorry for the de-rail earlier.  freenas pluginis is definitely awesome :).

• 4 weeks later...
josh4trunks

I should have the emby plugin available in a few days. updates from the mediabrowser plugin might not be straight forward, but I'll see what I can do.

Edited by josh4trunks
  • Like 1

josh4trunks

Thank you Josh, is there anything the community can do to help?

Not at this time, but thanks for offering. I actually finished it yesterday but didn't post it cause there are a few bugs in the latest emby version.

• Like 1

josh4trunks

So i believe the bug fix release is out now too;)

Yup, I'll get the new plugin in the Repo tonight.

I think the best course of action is to..

1. install the new emby plugin
  2. setup any storage mount points
  3. copy over your data-diectory, edit paths below as needed

cp -r /mnt/tank/jails/mediabrowser_1/var/db/mediabrowser /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server
    chown -R 989:989 /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/emby-server
  4. delete mediabrowser plugin
  5. (optional) change IP of emby jail, restart jail
  6. enable emby plugin

EDIT

I tried this and it didn't work =[

It looks like some paths are hardcoded in one of the config or database files. So I don't know any way to migrate from mediabrowser to emby automatically at this time =[

Edited by josh4trunks

josh4trunks

Why is this required ? Is it just because of the name change? Or some other reasons?

yeah, name change. The FreeNAS plugin system doesn't know how to update from one to another.

Alternatively you could skip some of those steps if you are ok with your jail being named mediabrowser_1.

1. stop mediabrowser plugin
  2. upload emby PBI to mediabrowser jail
  3. delete mediabrowser plugin
  4. start emby plugin

EDIT

I tried this and it didn't work =[

It looks like some paths are hardcoded in one of the config or database files. So I don't know any way to migrate from mediabrowser to emby automatically at this time =[

Edited by josh4trunks

Vidman

OK I have manually migrated over... The only issue I am having ATM is the new dynamic thumbs.... They look great but for TV the tile is blank

josh4trunks

OK I have manually migrated over... The only issue I am having ATM is the new dynamic thumbs.... They look great but for TV the tile is blank

yup I got the same issue. movie tile looks great though

josh4trunks

Yea it does:)..any idea as to a solution?

Not sure. Do we know if this works on other operating systems?

EDIT

I just rescanned my library (playing around with other stuff) and the tv icon appeared.

Edited by josh4trunks

warhead1999

hi guys 

looking to purchase a nas and install emby on it, is there a standard of nas i need to purchase?

Edited by warhead1999

giga12

I see instructions on how to update emby on FreeNas but then I see "Edits" saying that it doesn't work right. Is there currently any working instructions that I can follow?

josh4trunks

I see instructions on how to update emby on FreeNas but then I see "Edits" saying that it doesn't work right. Is there currently any working instructions that I can follow?

currently there is no ideal way to migrate over. I might rebuild the plugin and post migration instructions in the future.

If you don't want to wait then you'll need to setup Emby from scratch.

giga12

currently there is no ideal way to migrate over. I might rebuild the plugin and post migration instructions in the future.

If you don't want to wait then you'll need to setup Emby from scratch.

I am having audio issues, (audio goes out for about a second every 10-15 minutes), and I just wanted to eliminate it as a software issue. I don't really think it is though, so i'll wait.

Thanks for the swift response.

Vidman

I don't know if the config backup plugin for emby/MBS is of any help in migrating, but could be worth a shot

Edited by Vidman

josh4trunks

@@giga12 I posted a minor revision to the Emby plugin in the FreeNAS Repo, version 3.0.5572.0_1. It should be available tomorrow.

Here's migration steps that should work after tomorrow

1. Install Emby
  2. copy over your data-directory, edit paths below as needed
    cp -r /mnt/tank/jails/mediabrowser_1/var/db/mediabrowser /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/mediabrowser
    chown -R 989:989 /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/mediabrowser

3. delete the mediabrowser plugin
  4. (optional) change IP of emby jail, restart jail
  5. set data-directory in emby jail
    sysrc 'emby_server_data_dir=/var/db/mediabrowser'

6. enable emby plugin
Edited by josh4trunks
  • Like 1

Baenwort

@@giga12 I posted a minor revision to the Emby plugin in the FreeNAS Repo, version 3.0.5572.0_1. It should be available tomorrow.

Here's migration steps that should work after tomorrow

1. Install Emby
  2. copy over your data-directory, edit paths below as needed
    cp -r /mnt/tank/jails/mediabrowser_1/var/db/mediabrowser /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/mediabrowser
    chown -R 989:989 /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/mediabrowser

3. delete the mediabrowser plugin
  4. (optional) change IP of emby jail, restart jail
  5. set data-directory in emby jail
    sysrc 'emby_server_data_dir=/var/db/mediabrowser'

6. enable emby plugin

Is the User ID used inside the jail still 989 and "mediabrowser"?  I had to create a FreeNAS user account when I setup MBS due to saving the metadata with the media so that the permissions would work correctly. 

FreeNAS recommends that jail UIDs be >1001 (typically you use the same ID# as the jail port number but it isn't a forced requirement) and I'm wondering if when you did the move if you changed the UID to conform to the FreeNAS system?

josh4trunks

Is the User ID used inside the jail still 989 and "mediabrowser"? I had to create a FreeNAS user account when I setup MBS due to saving the metadata with the media so that the permissions would work correctly.

FreeNAS recommends that jail UIDs be >1001 (typically you use the same ID# as the jail port number but it isn't a forced requirement) and I'm wondering if when you did the move if you changed the UID to conform to the FreeNAS system?

yes, this plugin well by default still use UID 989, but no, the user created in the jail is named "emby".

I have never read what you are saying about port numbers corresponding with UIDs. This sounds like something you are misunderstanding. UIDs <1000 are supposed to be reserved for users registered by ports, of which the emby user is registered to 989. port numbers are completely unrelated.

• Like 1

Baenwort

yes, this plugin well by default still use UID 989, but no, the user created in the jail is named "emby".

I have never read what you are saying about port numbers corresponding with UIDs. This sounds like something you are misunderstanding. UIDs <1000 are supposed to be reserved for users registered by ports, of which the emby user is registered to 989. port numbers are completely unrelated.

You are likely correct as I'm not inside the Dev community of FreeNAS.  However, the other plugins that I use all use UIDs that corrispond to their port numbers.

This is consistent with the UserID Description at: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_account.html#users

"greyed out if user already created; when creating an account, the next numeric ID will be suggested; by convention, user accounts have an ID greater than 1000 and system accounts have an ID equal to the default port number used by the service"

But all that really matters is that it is a known value to those of us who want to store the metadata locally. It isn't difficult to setup once it is known.