FreeNAS plugin

Luke

josh4trunks

You are likely correct as I'm not inside the Dev community of FreeNAS. However, the other plugins that I use all use UIDs that corrispond to their port numbers.

This is consistent with the UserID Description at: http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_account.html#users

But all that really matters is that it is a known value to those of us who want to store the metadata locally. It isn't difficult to setup once it is known.

interesting, some examples fit that mold (www - UID=80), but I wouldn't say it's a standard.

most ports have a user with UID <1000 (the range that is registered) while the services they provide are on ports >=1024, which don't require root to bind to.

####

mostly the docs should just say, unless you know what you're doing, create users with a UID > 1000 to avoid conflicts with registered, but not installed, users.

• Like 1

grizlyadams

@@giga12 I posted a minor revision to the Emby plugin in the FreeNAS Repo, version 3.0.5572.0_1. It should be available tomorrow.

Here's migration steps that should work after tomorrow

1. Install Emby
  2. copy over your data-directory, edit paths below as needed
    cp -r /mnt/tank/jails/mediabrowser_1/var/db/mediabrowser /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/mediabrowser
    chown -R 989:989 /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/mediabrowser

3. delete the mediabrowser plugin
  4. (optional) change IP of emby jail, restart jail
  5. set data-directory in emby jail
    sysrc 'emby_server_data_dir=/var/db/mediabrowser'

6. enable emby plugin

this worked for me (after a few tries of being dopey and not running the sysrc inside the jail)

cheers

Griz

grizlyadams

may have been a bit hasty there - works via web browser, but not with MB Classic in 7MC  - as soon as it tries to read the media list it drops back to the "choose a user profile" screen.

Edited by grizlyadams

josh4trunks

may have been a bit hasty there - works via web browser, but not with MB Classic in 7MC - as soon as it tries to read the media list it drops back to the "choose a user profile" screen.

but it worked with the mediabrowser plugin?

I think our next step would be to isolate this issue to either emby, freebsd, or freenas

grizlyadams

but it worked with the mediabrowser plugin?

I think our next step would be to isolate this issue to either emby, freebsd, or freenas

Hi Josh,

i have it working now - I think it was my ImagesByName folder - I had manually specified that as /media/ImagesByName in the server config. I copied that folder over too and also chowned it, as soon as I completed that, MBC worked fine. It would be better to have that outside the jail I guess, but if I recall, I couldn't point the server config (manually or by browsing the tree) outside the jail when I tried. 

I did some things a little differently to the steps above (like not deleting the plugin 'til I was sure) . . . I've amended the steps to include that precaution and add in the bits I went back and did :-

1. Install Emby
  2. copy over your data-directory, edit paths below as needed

cp -r /mnt/tank/jails/mediabrowser_1/var/db/mediabrowser /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/mediabrowser
    chown -R 989:989 /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/mediabrowser
  3. *NOTE this step is only necessary of you have gone "off piste" with your server config :-

if you have any folders inside the mediabrowser_1 jail,  copy them over too (as step 2 above) and set their permissions, also as per step 2 above (I have my ImagesByName folder in the /media folder in the jail and this stopped MBC working)  ***BEWARE - be sure not to copy folders that are links otherwise you'll copy all the media too --- see step 9  

4. switch the mediabrowser plugin off
  5. set the mediabrowser_1 jail to not auto start (in the config of the jail)
  6. stop the mediabrowser_1 jail 
  7. (optional) change IP of Emby jail and restart the Emby jail (recommended as this means everything else will work as before - port forwarding on routers etc etc)
  8. in the console in the Emby jail (not the FreeNAS console that you have used for the copying and chowning above) set the data-directory with the following command

sysrc 'emby_server_data_dir=/var/db/mediabrowser'
  9. setup the storage in the emby_1 jail to be exactly the same as the mediabrowser_1 jail  keep the sources and the destinations the same as these are what the server config you copied in step 2 point to(libraries and path substitutions) So, for example in my mediabrowser_1 jail I had a storage path set  up with a source of "/mnt/Media/Dad/TV" (outside the jail) and the destination of "/media/Dad/TV" inside the jail (you can set the storage config to create the folder - but I've had inconsistent results with that so I just create the empty folders manually.
  10. enable (turn on) the emby plugin and that should be you working again, all users, settings and folders as before.
  11. once you''re happy it's all working and you don't need anything more out of the (old) mediabrowser_1 jail, you can delete the mediabrowser plugin and the mediabrowser_1 jail. 
Edited by grizlyadams

josh4trunks

Hi Josh,

i have it working now - I think it was my ImagesByName folder - I had manually specified that as /media/ImagesByName in the server config. I copied that folder over too and also chowned it, as soon as I completed that, MBC worked fine. It would be better to have that outside the jail I guess, but if I recall, I couldn't point the server config (manually or by browsing the tree) outside the jail when I tried.

I did some things a little differently to the steps above (like not deleting the plugin 'til I was sure) . . . I've amended the steps to include that precaution and add in the bits I went back and did :-

• Install Emby
  • copy over your data-directory, edit paths below as needed

cp -r /mnt/tank/jails/mediabrowser_1/var/db/mediabrowser /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/mediabrowser
    chown -R 989:989 /mnt/tank/jails/emby_1/var/db/mediabrowser
  • *NOTE this step is only necessary of you have gone "off piste" with your server config :-

if you have any folders inside the mediabrowser_1 jail, copy them over too (as step 2 above) and set their permissions, also as per step 2 above (I have my ImagesByName folder in the /media folder in the jail and this stopped MBC working) ***BEWARE - be sure not to copy folders that are links otherwise you'll copy all the media too --- see step 9

• switch the mediabrowser plugin off
  • set the mediabrowser_1 jail to not auto start (in the config of the jail)
  • stop the mediabrowser_1 jail
  • (optional) change IP of Emby jail and restart the Emby jail (recommended as this means everything else will work as before - port forwarding on routers etc etc)
  • in the console in the Emby jail (not the FreeNAS console that you have used for the copying and chowning above) set the data-directory with the following command

sysrc 'emby_server_data_dir=/var/db/mediabrowser'
  • setup the storage in the emby_1 jail to be exactly the same as the mediabrowser_1 jail -you can change the "sources" (although there should be no reason to) but the destinations should be the same as these are what the server config you copied in step 2 point to. So, for example in my mediabrowser_1 jail I had a storage path set up with a source of "/mnt/Media/Dad/TV" (outside the jail) and the destination of "/media/Dad/TV" inside the jail (you can set the storage config to create the folder - but I've had inconsistent results with that so I just create the empty folders manually.
  • enable (turn on) the emby plugin and that should be you working again, all users, settings and folders as before.
  • once you''re happy it's all working and you don't need anything more out of the (old) mediabrowser_1 jail, you can delete the mediabrowser plugin and the mediabrowser_1 jail.
glad you got it working. you can datasets outside of the jail using FreeNAS WebUI > Jails > Storage
  • Like 1

grizlyadams

yeah - I have my media outside the jail(s) - hence just mimicking the storage setup between the old and new jails.  The ImagesByName folder is  a bit of a throwback to me learning and setting it up without really knowing how it all hung together a few months ago. . . and I can't be arsed to change it now ;)

• 2 weeks later...
cherup

Hi - I am relativ new to Emby and I am using the Emby Freenas Plugin Version 3.0.5582.4.

Now Version 3.0.5588.1 is out I am am not sure how I can update to that version.

Do I have to wait until a new plugin is released or can I upgrade by my own ?

you'll just have to wait for the package maintainers to release the update. thanks.

josh4trunks

Hi - I am relativ new to Emby and I am using the Emby Freenas Plugin Version 3.0.5582.4.

Now Version 3.0.5588.1 is out I am am not sure how I can update to that version.

Do I have to wait until a new plugin is released or can I upgrade by my own ?

I'll be able to package up the latest plugin on Monday. The update will be available Tuesday on FreeNAS WebUI > Plugins > Installed

taugust

Perfect. Thanks for the quick and helpful answer!

Ups. Was posted with another account...

Edited by taugust

pclausen

I'm still not seeing 3.0.5588.

Also, 3.0.5597 just came out, so maybe it would make sense to package that one up instead now. :)

woodsb02

3.0.5597.0 is a beta release. The FreeBSD and FreeNAS packages are tracking stable releases only.

Updating of these packages is a volunteer effort, by people who are not officially involved in the mediabrowser project. The package will be updated soon...

josh4trunks

yeah, sorry about that life got in the way. I can definitely get to it tonight. hopefully we get the next stable out soon, otherwise I might have to do another compile soon.

pclausen

No worries.  Really appreciate the effort.  Got confused on version numbers.  I'm still running a windows server as I'm still in the transitioning phase of moving everything over to FreeNAS.

Are there future plans to make the FreeNAS plug-in "official"?

The one issue I have found with the FreeNAS version compared to the Windows version is that I almost always have to refresh my browser window in order for it to "pick up" the fact that I clicked on something.  Never had that issue with the windows version.

josh4trunks

No worries. Really appreciate the effort. Got confused on version numbers. I'm still running a windows server as I'm still in the transitioning phase of moving everything over to FreeNAS.

Are there future plans to make the FreeNAS plug-in "official"?

The one issue I have found with the FreeNAS version compared to the Windows version is that I almost always have to refresh my browser window in order for it to "pick up" the fact that I clicked on something. Never had that issue with the windows version.

Emby for freenas is as official as they get. they're in my repo, and at the current time in the plugin maintainer.

pclausen

Ok, so I see 3.0.5597.1 listed under available plug-ins, and an "Update" button next to Emby under installed plug-ins.

So I make sure Emby is off, and then click Update, answer OK at the prompt.

The first time it said (1/2) downloading plugin.  And then it just went back to the list of installed plug-ins again, still showing emby-3.0.5582.4-amd64.

So I tried hitting update a 2nd time, this time, after a brief moment of showing "(1/2) downloading plugin", it switched to "(2/2) Updating plugin".  But when it was done, it still showed 3.0.5582.4.

I went ahead and started Emby, but the web interface also showed 3.0.5582.4.

Any ideas?

Edited by pclausen

josh4trunks

Ok, so I see 3.0.5597.1 listed under available plug-ins, and an "Update" button next to Emby under installed plug-ins.

So I make sure Emby is off, and then click Update, answer OK at the prompt.

The first time it said (1/2) downloading plugin. And then it just went back to the list of installed plug-ins again, still showing emby-3.0.5582.4-amd64.

So I tried hitting update a 2nd time, this time, after a brief moment of showing "(1/2) downloading plugin", it switched to "(2/2) Updating plugin". But when it was done, it still showed 3.0.5582.4.

I went ahead and started Emby, but the web interface also showed 3.0.5582.4.

Any ideas?

the update process can be finicky, especially with a large plugin like emby. it worked for me yesterday, I'm guessing it took 15mins. but I updated from a local repo.

if it never works for you there is a workaround...

* upload another pbi (say sabnzbd) to the emby jail

* delete the emby plugin

* upload the update emby pbi to the emby jail

* delete the other plugin (sabnzbd)

• Like 1

pclausen

Thanks.  So I installed the sabnzbd plugin (not sure how to tell FreeNAS how to install it into the emby jail, but once it had installed and I refreshed the list of installed plug-ins, emby was showing version 3.0.5597.1.  I started it up and the new version number was confirmed from the emby web interface.  So I'm all good now although I'm not exactly sure how it ended up working in the end.  :wacko:

josh4trunks

Thanks. So I installed the sabnzbd plugin (not sure how to tell FreeNAS how to install it into the emby jail, but once it had installed and I refreshed the list of installed plug-ins, emby was showing version 3.0.5597.1. I started it up and the new version number was confirmed from the emby web interface. So I'm all good now although I'm not exactly sure how it ended up working in the end. :wacko:

you can upload a pbi to a specific jail on the Jails tab.

strange, glad it fixed itself.

Eternally

I am on Freenas 9.3 mediabrowser and emby have worked perfect up to now, with this latest realese of emby its a no go. After I insert an IP and the corect gateway I start up emby in the jails but when I try to start up emby in the installed plugins section it want proparly start.

Edited by Eternally

I am on Freenas 9.3 mediabrowser and emby have worked perfect up to now, with this latest realese its a no go. After I insert an IP and the corect gateway I start up emby in the jails but it when I try to start up in installed plugins section it want proparly start.

so it starts up fine in one but not the other?