Xbox One

swhitmore

trooper11

Another little update.

MS has confirmed that the X1 supports cd audio, mp3 playback via streaming, and DLNA at launch. DLNA is currently in certification.

They did not say if you could play mp3s from say a usb flash drive, but they did confirm that you could not pull them from an mp3 player like an ipod or smart phone via usb.

Edited by trooper11

Excuse my ignorance here please guys but does the fact that the XBOX One has DLNA capability mean that I could still stream media from my PC via MB3 Server to it like I can with the XBOX 360?

CWNashvegas

Excuse my ignorance here please guys but does the fact that the XBOX One has DLNA capability mean that I could still stream media from my PC via MB3 Server to it like I can with the XBOX 360?

No. Or, rather, not yet but maybe.

Currently, the 360 works because it is a WMC Extender - it is actually Media Center that communicates with the 360. DLNA is a different thing, which is not currently implemented in MB3.

However, it is possible that DLNA may be added later. No promises, and I'm not speaking in any official capacity here. The devs have taken note that there is a desire for this functionality.

trooper11

While DLNA is an option, I think the MB devs would much prefer to just push an app that works directly on the X1.

I get the impression that that would be easier to do then getting DLNA support at the moment.

swhitmore

It would, but there is no guarantee that we can get an app on there, and definitely not at launch. DLNA has been confirmed, so it can be done now.

• Like 1

swhitmore

If you haven't yet, watch this video right now. The UI with Kinect is fucking amazing. This only makes me hope more and more that we can get an app in there. Towards the end they demonstrate a 'channels' feature. If we could find a way to get content from the MB3 server on there, it would completely change how I watch TV.

Steven

I watched that video earlier too and I must say it has got me very tempted. It would be my first console since the N64! (excluding the GC and Wii the kids had)

It looks really slick and the thought of having Mediabrowser on it would make it the ultimate htpc.

shaefurr

I had told myself after buying a Wii and 360 I wouldnt buy another console since they just sat there collecting dust, but the One has me edge. hmm

gthrift

Watched that this morning.  Looks fantastic and the apps makes me hopeful that at some point the xbox app store will be open to developers. 

I just wish there was something for cable card users.

trooper11

If you haven't yet, watch this video right now. The UI with Kinect is fucking amazing. This only makes me hope more and more that we can get an app in there. Towards the end they demonstrate a 'channels' feature. If we could find a way to get content from the MB3 server on there, it would completely change how I watch TV.

Yeah, that was a very impressive demo. Slick and fast. I like how they dropped the number of sections across the top to just three. It looks neater in my opinion.

I read an article saying that any app can add content to the One Guide. The xbox one hulu app does this, mixing hulu content with live tv channels.

Yeah, I saw that too, that reminds me of a certain MediaBrowser theme.

That makes the guide much more useful for those of us that aren't using it for live tv.

I read an article saying that any app can add content to the One Guide. The xbox one hulu app does this, mixing hulu content with live tv channels.

swhitmore

I hope you're right. This could be a serious game changer.

swhitmore

CONFIRMED!!!!! Jump to 10:20 or just watch the whole thing...

Edited by swhitmore
  • Like 1

trooper11

Wow, excellent video. That certainly confirms what we were speculating about.

MS seems intent on opening the X1 up, maybe not day one, but over time. So I hope they open up sooner rather than later so that devs like the MB team can show what's possible.

Yea I think it's inevitable that they will open it up, and when they do there will no longer be any reason to build an htpc.

Yeah that video is really cool. I really want to see how it will handle plugging a WMC machine directly into the Xbox One. I wonder if the overlay stuff will work or how it will work compared to just using a cable box.

Yea I think it's inevitable that they will open it up, and when they do there will no longer be any reason to build an htpc.

Yeah, it looks like they are trying to make the X1 be what they had originally wanted Media Center to be.

Until they let us build a real app, I wonder if we can tell the X1 that a MB machine is a TV source and make it kind of work through that interface...?

trooper11

They posted up info on the Skydrive app for the X1 today:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/11/xbox-one-skydrive

The part that relates to our discussion here is that they show how it integrates with the One Guide. You can pin specific folders as 'channels'. The app focuses on video and photos. It allows you to see when new content has been added to these 'channels'

Very interesting features for app developers.

AgileHumor

Can't wait till the end of this month to find out how outdated my 3 month old HTPC is ;)

I guess I'll need to setup the IR for the connectivity (I hope) since I use RF only at the moment.

John

swhitmore

As someone who stores all my photos on SkyDrive, this is great! I hope I don't have to keep the Xbox Music app 'snapped' to have it playing during the slideshow though.

• 2 weeks later...