Export/Import Settings

Jon
Go to solution Solved by ebr,

I don't know if it has been requested, but at this stage of the game, I think it would be quite important to be able to backup and restore a good portion of the server.  My thought is the following should be able to be exported and then imported in the case where a server "restore" is necessary:

1. Users
  2. Library
  3. Server configuration
  4. Watched status/Playstates (you knew it was coming)
  5. Installed plugins with configuration for each

I would think those would be the most basic and necessary areas that would be the most difficult to get back in the case of disaster.  Metadata and images would be nice, but can be re-scraped.

I just know that at some point, my server will need to be replaced and while I do keep a full backup of all necessary MB3 directories, an integrated recovery solution would probably be much easier for the majority of users.

I know of the backup and restore post here, but I just think it's time for an integrated solution - or even a plugin.  I run a daily Windows Server backup job on mine and am confident in restoring it, but I've been in IT for 20 years.  General Joe isn't doing that.

Edited by Jon
  • Like 6

fantaxp7

I feel this is very important as well. Auto-backups would be great and the ability to set a destination like to my ZFS server or for other users maybe a dropbox location on their machine.

Can't be too careful nowadays.

• Like 1

Yep I'm about to sit down with the studio cleaner plugin and clean and manipulate 2264 studios... if my system went down tomorrow without some sort of backup to my MB3 setup I would cry.

• Like 2

Is watched status included? That'd be the one thing that I'd hate to lose the most.

Go look at my screen shots...

• Like 1

And here is what the restore looks like.

5421b705dd234_mbbackup3.png

I'm going to need some hardy souls to help me test this.  You'll need to have a complete test environment where you won't cry if something goes wrong because this plug-in has the potential to wipe out a complete system configuration and all user information.

Who's game...?

• Like 1

AdrianW

Go look at my screen shots...

doh - I was looking for a main item, but it's quite clearly included under "User Data".

This is a fantastic feature. I was getting a little worried, as I have MB installed on an SSD, and I've had one SSD die on me recently - and I really would hate to lose my playstates, we're just too far behind on too many shows at once!

Edited by AdrianW

techywarrior

Wow, very cool ebr. I can't afford to help test but hopefully it gets a thorough shakeout.

What sort of size range are you seeing for the backups? Is it basically just the DB files? (if you backup everything)

What sort of size range are you seeing for the backups? Is it basically just the DB files? (if you backup everything)

This is going to vary widely based on environment and options.  My full backups are about 40MB.

techywarrior

This is going to vary widely based on environment and options.  My full backups are about 40MB.

Yea, I know.. How does that compare to your .db files? 40mb seems pretty good if your db files are like mine (total about 250mb)

Yea, I know.. How does that compare to your .db files? 40mb seems pretty good if your db files are like mine (total about 250mb)

Keep in mind, I'm not backing up any of your actual library as that can all be re-built easily.  This is backing up the configuration.  The only database information involved is the user data (play state, favorites, etc).  So, the size of the backup has more to do with how many plug-ins you have and if you back those up than the size of your library (with the exception of that user data).

Excellent news. This will be a boon when the unexpected happens. 

Yes, but I actually think one of the major uses of this utility will be to migrate from one server to another.  This will make that pretty easy.

• Like 1

ksullivan86

I am wanting to do a clean install of windows on my server but I have been waiting on a way to backup mediabrowser before I reformat, I know you said soon but any eta at this point? weeks? Months?

Thanks and looks great by the way.

techywarrior

Very cool ebr. One day when the Linux version is easy to setup and unRaid 6 is stable I will probably migrate the server to that machine and this will be a big help.

I am wanting to do a clean install of windows on my server but I have been waiting on a way to backup mediabrowser before I reformat, I know you said soon but any eta at this point? weeks? Months?

Thanks and looks great by the way.

It is in alpha testing now.  I would expect a beta to be available within a week or so.

You can use a manual procedure if you don't want to wait.

MrWebsmith

im gonna setup a test mbs vm for this as a restore target.. can i get access to the alpha.. my goal would be to do this testing during the day today/tomorrow from work

ksullivan86

It is in alpha testing now.  I would expect a beta to be available within a week or so.

You can use a manual procedure if you don't want to wait.

sounds great keep up the great work