ComSkipper ... A Emby Plugin that skips commercials

BillOatman

richt

@TMCswThanks for the suggestions.  I think I'll stick with running comskip twice as its working and I'll just wait for a fix.

• 2 weeks later...
BoomerGamer62

Passing along a problem I found in the sample .bat file provided with comskipper.

Comskipper was working 75% of the time for me, but it was annoying it wouldnt work all the time.  Nothing showed up in the logs, because all the Emby log shows in the call to the .bat file.  I then ran the .bat file manually on one of the files that did not create an .edl and found out that there is an issue when the path name or filename has a special character in it &()[]{}^=;!'+,`~ () <>|

For example, a pathname of \Tom & Jerry (1940)\ wont work because of the ampersand and paretheses.

The fix is to put quotes around your parameter setup.  Change

set folder=%~p1
set filename=%~n1

to

set "folder=%~p1"
set "filename=%~n1"

@BillOatman, might want to change this in your sample .bat

Thanks for a great plugin though!

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
BillOatman
On 6/5/2023 at 5:09 PM, BrianJFox said:

Any chance this can be added to the Emby plugin's catalog? 

Not really.  It requires additional steps outside of the plugin like running comskip, plus I cannot guarantee prompt support.  I made it open source.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
mike3821

Trying to get Live TV Com Skip working.

Am I missing anything?

image.png.faaea6c969433e6bed200b685afa51c0.png

image.thumb.png.422c300a064d5b05ad05ad18c15fcb5f.png

image.png.34096e4ddd638cd51326aee5feaf06bb.png

image.png.16d4a3ec26a37e4f0e3694b074455916.png

Edited by mike3821

On 11/6/2023 at 1:54 PM, mike3821 said:

Trying to get Live TV Com Skip working.

Am I missing anything?

image.png.faaea6c969433e6bed200b685afa51c0.png

image.thumb.png.422c300a064d5b05ad05ad18c15fcb5f.png

image.png.34096e4ddd638cd51326aee5feaf06bb.png

image.png.16d4a3ec26a37e4f0e3694b074455916.png

It's hard to tell what you are showing/asking but it appears you are not passing the file [path]file-name to your bash script you need to add "%recording.path%" to the scripterx parameters like this:

image.png.d8cf9df6cda6f17661c5e172498e1176.png

mike3821
46 minutes ago, TMCsw said:

It's hard to tell what you are showing/asking but it appears you are not passing the file [path]file-name to your bash script you need to add "%recording.path%" to the scripterx parameters like this:

image.png.d8cf9df6cda6f17661c5e172498e1176.png

I’m not sure where I got that information but that’s what I’ve been using for a couple years now when recording TV and it works.

does it need to be different for this portion?

16 minutes ago, mike3821 said:

and it works.

does it need to be different for this portion?

I don't understand what is problem you are having?

mike3821
59 minutes ago, ImWrong said:

I don't understand what is problem you are having?

When watching in progress recordings to skip commercials.

ttgapers
On 5/23/2023 at 2:45 PM, BoomerGamer62 said:

The fix is to put quotes around your parameter setup.  Change

set folder=%~p1
set filename=%~n1

to

set "folder=%~p1"
set "filename=%~n1"

Really good catch!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
Deihmos

Can anyone help me with linux? I can't seem to get it to launch comskip when a recording begins. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. 

Screenshot2024-01-14at11_30_56AM.thumb.png.ebce6f417ebb016ea543c2a0cb83b848.png

vdrover

@DeihmosI wrote an details ubuntu tutorial. If you follow it from beginning to end, you should be able to sort it out on your Debian system. In my case. the `Post-processing application` was `/usr/local/bin/comskip` and  the `command line arguments` were `--ini=/etc/comskip.ini "{path}"`.

Follow my steps to find your application path, and other details.

Edited by vdrover
  • Thanks 1

Deihmos

@vdroverThanks. I found your post and followed the instructions after posting the question. It works, 

• Agree 1

Mister Steve

Thanks to all that have contributed, chiefly @BillOatman. Comskipper was simple to set up and I've had good results with Emby on Debian, Comskip 0.82.009. 

Sometimes Comskip will over-skip and jump to a later portion of a show. Is there a way to disable skipping during playback when the detection is not accurate?

vdrover

Only to delete the EDL manually. Have you looked into customizing the comskip.ini for each show? Might help for problematic programs. 

BillOatman
On 1/19/2024 at 10:10 PM, Mister Steve said:

Thanks to all that have contributed, chiefly @BillOatman. Comskipper was simple to set up and I've had good results with Emby on Debian, Comskip 0.82.009. 

Sometimes Comskip will over-skip and jump to a later portion of a show. Is there a way to disable skipping during playback when the detection is not accurate?

If you rewind back to the point of the problem it should not skip the 2nd time.

Mister Steve

Thanks for the suggestions. Ideally a control would appear during playback (like CC on/off) when an EDL file is available, but this feature is likely beyond the ability of a plugin. If we hit a show that consistently does not work I'll create a custom comskip.ini but that's not been necessary so far.

• Agree 1

BillOatman
5 hours ago, Mister Steve said:

Thanks for the suggestions. Ideally a control would appear during playback (like CC on/off) when an EDL file is available, but this feature is likely beyond the ability of a plugin. If we hit a show that consistently does not work I'll create a custom comskip.ini but that's not been necessary so far.

Yes, it is.  

• Agree 1

muzicman0

I don't understand what I am doing wrong.  I have valid EDL files that work for Kodi just fine, but I can't get Comskipper to work with them.  It shows up in plugins, and I have it set to auto skip commercials, and show commercial duration.  But it is not skipping commercials.  

I have tried it in a web browser, and my Nvidia Shields.  Nothing.  What am I missing?

BillOatman
20 hours ago, muzicman0 said:

I don't understand what I am doing wrong.  I have valid EDL files that work for Kodi just fine, but I can't get Comskipper to work with them.  It shows up in plugins, and I have it set to auto skip commercials, and show commercial duration.  But it is not skipping commercials.  

I have tried it in a web browser, and my Nvidia Shields.  Nothing.  What am I missing?

Shield should certainly work.  Please send the edl file, and a emby server debug log right after playing through a commercial.  

muzicman0

I'll get the log as soon as I can.  I have a few clients connected, so I want to wait until the server is free.

I will attach the actual file as well, but here are the contents of the edl:

0.00    95.35    0
525.16    588.72    0
818.78    1038.79    0
1334.88    1565.48    0
1888.44    1917.43    0

Night Court (2023) - S02E05 - Hold the Pickles, Keep the Change.edl

BillOatman
15 hours ago, muzicman0 said:

I'll get the log as soon as I can.  I have a few clients connected, so I want to wait until the server is free.

I will attach the actual file as well, but here are the contents of the edl:

0.00    95.35    0
525.16    588.72    0
818.78    1038.79    0
1334.88    1565.48    0
1888.44    1917.43    0

Night Court (2023) - S02E05 - Hold the Pickles, Keep the Change.edl 82 B · 0 downloads

That file looks fine.  0 at the end is correct, tab delimited columns. Unfortunately I think you are going to see that your client device does not support skipping.

muzicman0

What devices support it?  I have a Chromecast with TV, 2 Shields, and a Fire TV Max. Plus any browser. 

BillOatman
2 hours ago, muzicman0 said:

What devices support it?  I have a Chromecast with TV, 2 Shields, and a Fire TV Max. Plus any browser. 

I don't know what ones do and don't. I know it works for shields as that's what I have.  Pretty sure I had it working with the browser as well but can't swear to that.