ComSkipper ... A Emby Plugin that skips commercials

BillOatman

muppet4k
On 2/7/2024 at 2:24 PM, vdrover said:

I actually don't use the triggers in Emby for anything. I use this wonderful image that "watches" my libraries for .TS files, then converts them to MKV and generates the EDL files. 

Once the EDL files are available, the comskip plugin that @BillOatmanmade works just fine. 

Works fine 😉

do you have an idea to get a notification somewhere when the convert is done finally ?

fireplex

You can configure unmanic to run almost anything you want, I configured it to run comskip which creates EDL files.

But my query was regarding the emby comskipper plugin, it only seems to have the option to auto skip commercials, not ask the user if they want to skip?

image.png.58bb5fda45872168651861270fe3e7f3.png

reneboulard
17 hours ago, fireplex said:

Would love to have an option for a popup asking if you want to skip the advert or not (rather than forcing it), no sure it that would be possible with the plugin?

Intro skipping does it for intro, so it should be possible to do it for commskipper I think.

fireplex
34 minutes ago, reneboulard said:

Intro skipping does it for intro, so it should be possible to do it for commskipper I think.

Hope so 😀

jsmith100

I decided to use MCE Buddy...I purchased it a while back, so figured I would give it a shot. I'm not re-coding the recordings, just having the EDL files created. It doesn't help when trying to cut the commercials while watching the recording, but it works pretty well for post recording, commercial cutting. Now I will focus on cutting commercials while recording and watching :).

muppet4k

second question... 

is somebody using this in a docker? because I got a CPU Load over 90% when transcoding with Comskip

BillOatman
6 hours ago, muppet4k said:

Today Comskip created a .txt file not an EDL file...

Is that also working?

Why he dont create an EDL File? Can somebody explain this to me?

Bildschirmfoto2024-02-14um09_47_43.thumb.png.5e39dc642d75fb18f7e8c76b57c2a86a.png

The Price Is Right S52E91.txt 187 B · 1 download

It must be your comskip.ini settings.  I believe I have one in the first post that works OK, compare it to yours.

• Like 1

roaku
6 hours ago, muppet4k said:

Today Comskip created a .txt file not an EDL file...

Is that also working?

Why he dont create an EDL File? Can somebody explain this to me?

Bildschirmfoto2024-02-14um09_47_43.thumb.png.5e39dc642d75fb18f7e8c76b57c2a86a.png

The Price Is Right S52E91.txt 187 B · 2 downloads

I believe the txt file gets generated/used while comskip is processing.

The edl doesn't show up until the end.

So, I would guess that either you checked in while it was processing or the process got interrupted.

• Like 1

roaku
8 minutes ago, muppet4k said:

And about the cpu load ? 

No idea. I don't transcode or run Emby from Docker.

vdrover
35 minutes ago, muppet4k said:

And about the cpu load ? 

CPU loads at 90% or more are normal when transcoding. This is unrelated to comskip. What are you using for transcoding? There should be a way to control how much stress you put on the CPU. Here's one example for ffmpeg.

Edited by vdrover

muppet4k
10 minutes ago, vdrover said:

CPU loads at 90% or more are normal when transcoding. This is unrelated to comskip. What are you using for transcoding? There should be a way to control how much stress you put on the CPU. Here's one example for ffmpeg.

from the default custom script from the docker image chacawaca

ffmpeg -i "$INPUT" -hide_banner -loglevel info -crf 19 -max_muxing_queue_size 512
 -c:v libx265 -brand mp42 -ac 2 -c:a libfdk_aac -b:a 128k -ignore_unknown -map 0 
"$OUTPUT"  

muppet4k
32 minutes ago, jaycedk said:

Why are you transcoding into x265 that a CPU heavy task.

that was the standard setting when I installed it 😞

so I should change to  libx264?

vdrover
1 hour ago, muppet4k said:

that was the standard setting when I installed it 😞

so I should change to  libx264?

Are you concerned with the high CPU usage for some reason? Does it prevent your system from working properly? in any event, below is my ffmpeg config:

ffmpeg -i "$INPUT" -hide_banner -loglevel info -max_muxing_queue_size 512 -c:v libx265 -brand mp42 -crf 20 -ac 2 -c:a libfdk_aac -b:a 128k -ignore_unknown -map 0 "$OUTPUT"

muppet4k
3 hours ago, vdrover said:

Are you concerned with the high CPU usage for some reason? Does it prevent your system from working properly? in any event, below is my ffmpeg config:

ffmpeg -i "$INPUT" -hide_banner -loglevel info -max_muxing_queue_size 512 -c:v libx265 -brand mp42 -crf 20 -ac 2 -c:a libfdk_aac -b:a 128k -ignore_unknown -map 0 "$OUTPUT"

Not really but it takes a long time that all is finished to convert 😕

vdrover
6 minutes ago, muppet4k said:

Not really but it takes a long time that all is finished to convert 😕

That's the trade off. How long is a 1-hr show taking to convert?

muppet4k

The ts file was 1.2 GB after convert about 800 MB the mkv

It takes about 2 hours 😕

I have a Synology ds923 with the amd ryzen

abescalamis

Question:

Do any of you can help me with the command to do multiple "ts" files in the same folder?

I use the following command for commskipper to do one "ts" file, but it is time consuming to do one by one.

comskip --ini=/var/packages/comskip/var/comskip.ini "/volume1/Data/Media/DVR/El señor de los cielos (2013)/Season 9/El señor de los cielos S09E01 La Bestia despierta.ts"

vdrover
4 hours ago, muppet4k said:

It takes about 2 hours 😕

My latests conversion took nearly 3.5 hrs. It was a 2-hour show. Final size was 4GB. I have a NUC 10 Core i7 with 64GB Memory. CPU above 90% the entire time. I feel like you're in the right range for time. 

• Thanks 1

muppet4k
9 hours ago, vdrover said:

My latests conversion took nearly 3.5 hrs. It was a 2-hour show. Final size was 4GB. I have a NUC 10 Core i7 with 64GB Memory. CPU above 90% the entire time. I feel like you're in the right range for time. 

Did you add one folder for watching or more ?

• 2 weeks later...
carpediem

For those who are running Comskipper successfully with an AppleTV, can you please share a little about your setup? I have a 4K AppleTV from 2021 and cannot seem to get the plugin working with it. I can confirm that it works using the Emby IOS App and also when using a browser. I can see that a commercial is skipped in the Emby server's log files when I watch a recording in either MPV or Native mode from the AppleTV. However, the video never actually skips. I have tested using the Comskipper with both the "Auto skip commercials" and "Disable On-screen Message" options enabled as suggested in other posts. I never get any visual output even if I uncheck the "Disable On-Screen Message" option. I am running Emby Server 4.8.1.0 in a Docker container on Linux if that helps. The Emby client on the AppleTV is version 1.8.3.

vdrover
8 hours ago, carpediem said:

For those who are running Comskipper successfully with an AppleTV, can you please share a little about your setup?

• Apple TV 4K (2nd generation, A2169)
    • tvOS 17.3
    • Emby Client 1.8.3 (1)
      • Settings > Playback > Preferred Video Player > MPV  
  • Ubuntu 23.10
    • Docker Engine Community v25.0.3
    • Docker Compose v2.24.6
      • Emby 4.8.3.0
        • Com Skipper 2.1.0.0
          • Settings attached.

Plugins2024-03-02at9_52_52AM.jpg.bb11f865ae4944917023ea73387e9df1.jpg

• Like 1