Terribly slow/long loading on devices using Emby

markdj

So, no slowness at all. Playback starts within 1-3 seconds. Tested with the latest Kodi 18 nightly.

@@markdj

Since it seems that you are the only user that is still facing it - and on two different devices - I assume it's a local problem of your setup. Maybe the network connection, hibernation of HDDs in your server or similar things.

I'm running Kodi 17.6, that might be the difference. I had no problems before one of the latest Emby beta updates, and direct play works without any issues (starts within 1-2 seconds) as well.

But it's alright, I'm getting used to it now. A few seconds extra won't kill me, but it's just annoying to suddenly experience a difference in starting up videos.

sualfred

In the native playback mode the playback is handled by Kodi and not by the Emby server. It has to be something on your end.

Anyway, if you can live with it it's fine. Leia is working great and the RC1 will be released soon and guess the final will arrive at the end of the year or in January. Maybe this will solve it by a miracle for you. But as I said, without your assistance my options to help are limited at this point.

Edited by sualfred

Yeah, what I meant was that it can't be a problem on my PC's end then, or network even, since it plays back fine without Emby.

Anyway, I'll be sure to give Leia a try once it reaches RC status. It might fix the problem.

Didn't see your full edit there, but I've already tried most of the suggestions except for installing Leia. Which I won't be trying until it's more stable and it supports my skin :)

I think we're just officially out of ideas besides that.

Angelblue05

You are the only one left with this issue, just so you are aware. If I were you, I'd try to do a fresh install. At least for all the time we've spent trying to troubleshoot this, you should do this. You can backup your emby database and restore upon clean install so you don't need to go through the initial sync.

https://github.com/MediaBrowser/plugin.video.emby/wiki/Create-and-restore-from-backup

Edited by Angelblue05

I can just say I have the same problem, but I can't be bothered with troubleshooting anymore. I now restart Kodi every day and then it works fine.

With that said, I can add some perspective to the issue. To replicate the issue (at least in my case), I have to leave Kodi running with some kind of media playing several hours a day. It's not enough to just start Kodi and leave it. This behavior started overnight. It was after an Emby server update.

I'm running the Emby server and Kodi on the same machine and the OS is Windows 10.

Angelblue05

I don't see that whatsover. Running Kodi krypton on Windows 10 with server on the same machine fyi. My Kodi is always running, 24/7

As I said, it's not enough to just to have it running. I also have Kodi running 24/7. You need to be playing some kind of media (not just from Emby) for several hours before you notice the issue. The delay sort of builds up after time. The more you play media the longer the delay will be starting media.

I don't see that whatsover. Running Kodi krypton on Windows 10 with server on the same machine fyi. My Kodi is always running, 24/7

Angelblue05

I play stuff via Plex, I play stuff via youtube, I play stuff via Twitch, I play stuff via Emby. I promise I'm not seeing this issue. :)

:)  Ok, that's good for you. And I promise I see the issue. As a fellow developer, I understand that it will be impossible for you to fix it if you don't see the issue. I just wanted to add my two cents.

I would reinstall but I just can't imagine it being the problem because it happened on two different systems at the exact same time.

Having said that: the problem does happen after having played at least one video and then the systems being idle for a long period afterwards.

Edited by markdj

• 2 weeks later...

@Angelblue05

I dont think this is fixed, or I have a different issue.

My Kodi does not run until I use it, once a day in the evenings. When I'm done I close it out. 

Running Win10 all updates with Kodi v18 beta 4

Anytime I choose a menu item to play on the TV screen it hangs for 5-10 seconds before starting, IF it starts at all. Sometime I have to try 2 or 3 times to get it to play at all... just get the 'thinking' icon until I tell it to stop.

If I use YATSE android app or Emby android app, they play immediately

This happens with the default kodi skin and the 3rd party skin I like to use... so not the skin.  I use the Trakt and ServerWMC plugins but not anything else. I only watch videos with Kodi, no games, etc.

You didn't have the problem anymore?

Will check later, Shield was slow as shit yesterday evening so it should be easy to see.

• Like 1

sualfred

I don't know any others. All other guys aren't facing it again and it was fixed by removing the skin helper tools and a older patch of the addon.

Edited by sualfred
  • Like 1

highonascii

I can't see the problem being resolved for them. Anyway I'll check later.

It has been good for me since fixed a month or so ago... I was just saying still is good for me... Sorry if I caused some confusion... I bet your problem is you have never deleted the inside contents of  *:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\cache COMPLETELY and then also delete this WHOLE FOLDER *:\Users\*\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\userdata\addon_data\plugin.video.emby  ...do these two things and I bet your slow down is no more. Cheers!

• Like 1

I can't see the problem being resolved for them. Anyway I'll check later.

Well, it seems a little faster, but still takes about 7-8 seconds to start something. It's acceptable.

• Like 1

highonascii

Well, it seems a little faster, but still takes about 7-8 seconds to start something. It's acceptable.

Did you try what I suggested?

• Like 1