Jump to content

Subtitles / audio track remembering


AAndy
 Share

Recommended Posts

AAndy

Hello!

How should I configure server or something other for remembering selected audio/subtitles track?

What do I mean:

  1. In user 'Playback' settings I checked 'Remember audio track selection'
  2. In user 'Subtitles' settings I checked 'Remember subtitles track selection' (preferred subtitles language = English; subtitles mode = 'No subtitles' (I experimented with all available subtitles modes, but nothing helps))
  3. I go to a movie then select audio I need, subtitles I need, then go to home screen and go back to this movie again. And my chooses did not saved (all states look like as I did nothing)
  4. At playback time (I start movie playing and select while playback) change these settings does not saved also.

Besides, I detect another playback problem: if I trying to change subtitles while movie playing - subtitles does not changed, also if I set it to 'None'. And if I choose subtitles before start playing then Emby for reasons I don't know select 1-st track only (I select 2-nd track but playing 1-st).

Is it my wrong or server error?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Between steps 2 and 3 above you never played the media so your settings didn't stick.  Once you would have started playing the media your audio and sub preferences would have been saved with the playback info.

Step 4 should have saved this info.

What Emby Server version are you using?
What client and version were you testing with?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AAndy

Yes, I confirm remembering audio track on playback but not subtitles. Subtitles does not remembering.

 

Do you mean is this the just one way to change audio/subtitles track?! Besides subtitles selection does not remembered! Excuse me, but this is craziness! I add an another one movie and what should I do?! Start playing and select tracks for remember? Why I have not possibility to change it at movie page, not on playback? Plex always did have this possibility. I moved from plex to Emby because Emby is more stable and more advanced at metadata than plex. I have a big collection of movies with more than one language track. And I am so sorry, but I will not do playback starting every of thousands movie for change tracks! It is totally craziness. In this case I will moves back to plex for better. It is server, not media player only. Server MUST have functions like this.

 

Is where a chance for change it in closest updated.

 

P.S. Tested on latest Emby server for windows, latest iPhone app and app for LG TV (Emby Theater 1.0.24)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try a test for me using only the web player vis browser.  Pick a movie never watched before and use this a test.  Select a different language and sub choice.

After playback, is the language and sub being remembered?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Try changing them on one movie never watched before starting the movie.

On another movie try changing these during the movie.

Report back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AAndy
  1. I did try it. If I change audio and/or subtitles track before start watching (at movie card) and then start watching, the movie starts with selected tracks. After I stopped the movie, audio track was set as I select, subtitles track was dropped to 'Off'. And at the next start, the same movie starts with selected audio track, selected subtitles were dropped to 'Off'.
  2. I choose another unwatched movie and start it. At playback I changed audio track and subtitles. Result is the same. After I stopped the movie, audio track was set as I select, subtitles track was dropped to 'Off'.

Emby server 4.6.3.0 (latest)

As I understand, the way to change and remember selected tracks is exist, but for some reasons change confirmation is start playback movie for settings storing.

So, my question is still actual: is where a chance for change it in closest updated?

But for now, until this bug will not be fixed, how to change it through API? I looked up Emby API and seen nothing. In 'AudioService' I seen 'AudioStreamIndex' and 'SubtitleStreamIndex' at '/Audio/{Id}/stream' but I not sure this is what I need. As I understand this is query for get information, not save.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

GrimReaper
15 hours ago, andrey062006 said:

In user 'Subtitles' settings I checked 'Remember subtitles track selection' (preferred subtitles language = English; subtitles mode = 'No subtitles'

 

13 hours ago, andrey062006 said:

I add an another one movie and what should I do?! Start playing and select tracks for remember?

 

One thing I don't get is why you don't have it set to "Always play subtitles"? If your subtitles have proper language code (and not Und) it should be selected by default.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AAndy

Excuse me but are you OK or not? If I want to use French subs at 500 movies, for example, what I must do: start playing each movie and set my chooses for save?! In this case I must to spend WEEKS to change it by starting each movie! Are you crazy?
I asked again and again and still not get an answer: WHY I NOT HAVE POSSIBILITY TO CHANGE TRACKS AT MOVIE/TV-EPISODE CARD? This is a craziness!
And why I must use "Always play subtitles"! I don't want to do it ALWAYS! And I want to change it where I want without starting playback!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, andrey062006 said:

And why I must use "Always play subtitles"!

Hi.  You don't need to use that setting but the one you have chosen (no subtitles) doesn't sound like what you really want either.

Why not use the "Smart" setting and then subtitles will be enabled automatically when the audio track doesn't match your preferred language.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AAndy
2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Why not use the "Smart" setting and then subtitles will be enabled automatically when the audio track doesn't match your preferred language.

If I set up 'Smart' mode all items inherit language i choose at settings.

OMG, why I must choose at something odd parameters IF I JUST WANT TO SET UP SPECIAL setting for movie.

All of you say is: you must select one setting of we provide and use it even if it unusable.

Ok. I got an answer - I go back to plex. In plex, at least I can open movie card and set up audio/subtitles tracks I need! And it is simply and saved momently!

I spent two days for search exit from this situation and as I seen - Emby has not providing this functional.
And at last, please do it for me, open your media library, which contain at least 4 thousand movies and go to each movie, start playback and choose a tracks. It is not craziness - it is DELIRIUM!

BTW at some tv-episodes I have an error while playing on LG-TV. And how can I change subtitles at playback if it cant started and I MUST restart app cuz this error is blocking app.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rodainas
27 minutes ago, andrey062006 said:

If I set up 'Smart' mode all items inherit language i choose at settings.

OMG, why I must choose at something odd parameters IF I JUST WANT TO SET UP SPECIAL setting for movie.

All of you say is: you must select one setting of we provide and use it even if it unusable.

Ok. I got an answer - I go back to plex. In plex, at least I can open movie card and set up audio/subtitles tracks I need! And it is simply and saved momently!

I spent two days for search exit from this situation and as I seen - Emby has not providing this functional.
And at last, please do it for me, open your media library, which contain at least 4 thousand movies and go to each movie, start playback and choose a tracks. It is not craziness - it is DELIRIUM!

BTW at some tv-episodes I have an error while playing on LG-TV. And how can I change subtitles at playback if it cant started and I MUST restart app cuz this error is blocking app.

If you use for Subtitles, Smart or Default

it will remember your subtitle selection.

What you want if I understand correctly, is that emby remembers your subtitle selection when “no subtitle mode” is selected on settings, in that mode it always default to no subtitles.

You have to ask the devs if they can implement it, I dont see no reason why it cant be to be honest, It doesnt hurt anyone because you have the checkbox there to remember or not subtitles in all modes, it should work as you want in my opinion.

Edited by rodainas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi.  Why do you need to set this up for 4000 movies before you play them?  If you want subs selected only in certain movies or circumstances, why not just select them the first time you play that movie?

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with ebr that if you configure your subtitle display options to best match your needs right up front you won't have to adjust all these different movies all the time as the system will make the choice for you based on your selection.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AAndy
12 minutes ago, rodainas said:

If you use for Subtitles, Smart or Default

it will remember your subtitle selection.

What you want if I understand correctly, is that emby remembers your subtitle selection when “no subtitle mode” is selected on settings, in that mode it always default to no subtitles.

You have to ask the devs if they can implement it, I dont see no reason why it cant be to be honest, It doesnt hurt anyone because you have the checkbox there to remember or not subtitles in all modes, it should work as you want in my opinion.

I select this mode because other modes set up 'Preferred subtitles language' for ALL of my movies! I'm very tired of explaining! Some my movies, for example, is in the Dutch language and I have Italian, French, English, Spain subtitles. FOR EXAMPLE! And I want to go to the movie card and set up subtitles I need without starting playback BECAUSE FOR HUNDREDS OF MOVIES IS TOO DIFFICULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I spent 4 days to wrote an actualizing Emby playlists and collections program, because Emby do not remove collection from movie 'nfo' after I delete it from server. Now I spent again two days for searching how to change audio and subtitles without start playing! Instead working I do THIS!

2 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  Why do you need to set this up for 4000 movies before you play them?  If you want subs selected only in certain movies or circumstances, why not just select them the first time you play that movie?

  1. As I said earlier, I moved from Plex to Emby! And except me I have one more user. And I should set up correct audio/subtitles, which ALREADY was selected in Plex by me and other users! So I must do it twice: for me and for other user.
  2. My LG-App have Emby Theater 1.0.24 which contains bug. In change subtitles - nothing changes!
Link to comment
Share on other sites

rodainas

Could you make that work? 
Otherwise the selection box is not doing anything in that mode, just confuse because is the only mode that ignores the checkbox selection.

DE5C9DCF-2AE4-400C-9957-BC8594F88541.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AAndy
3 minutes ago, cayars said:

I agree with ebr that if you configure your subtitle display options to best match your needs right up front you won't have to adjust all these different movies all the time as the system will make the choice for you based on your selection.  

I self know what I need and I dont want to system make the choice where I dont need!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But, if you have 4000 movies that you want subs enabled for, then it seems like your default behavior really shouldn't be "no subtitles".  Either the "default" or "smart" mode should select proper subs for you in most cases.

Can you explain more about why these modes won't work for your use-case?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rodainas

And I want to go to the movie card and set up subtitles I need without starting playback BECAUSE FOR HUNDREDS OF MOVIES IS TOO DIFFICULT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But you can select them without playing and it remembers, provided you use smart or default.

update: I lost connection, and the app made me think itremembers but no, needs to be played to remember, sorry.

Edited by rodainas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AAndy

OMG Why all of you dont listening me?! I asked: why I cant change audio/subtitles track with not playback starting. I need to open movie/tv-episode card - select audio/subs I need - and it MUST be saved with no playback starting

1 minute ago, ebr said:

But, if you have 4000 movies that you want subs enabled for, then it seems like your default behavior really shouldn't be "no subtitles".  Either the "default" or "smart" mode should select proper subs for you in most cases.

Can you explain more about why these modes won't work for your use-case?

Can you explain why I cant change audio/subtitles track with not playback starting.

And look at my answer: "As I said earlier, I moved from Plex to Emby! And except me I have one more user. And I should set up correct audio/subtitles, which ALREADY was selected in Plex by me and other users! So I must do it twice: for me and for other user."

I already selected what I need in Plex. I set up it ALREADY. And now I want only set up these settings at Emby, but i cant

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's the thing.  The server won't/shouldn't make this choice for you but will only do the selection based on when it can be used.

For example if you only speak English you can setup the Emby clients to only use English subs when the audio language is not English.
You could have it always display an English sub if present (hearing impaired).  You could even have it always use forced subs for movies with mixed languages so you only get the subs for other than English parts.

Emby can handle this for quite well, then you only need to tweak a movie or show when it falls outside these settings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

rodainas

I dont understand,you can change them without playing and it remembers it.

I tested on mobile and it works like that.

update: I lost connection, and the app made me think it remembers but no, needs to be played to remember, sorry.

Edited by rodainas
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AAndy
1 minute ago, rodainas said:

But you can select them without playing and it remembers, provided you use smart or default.

HOW?! PLEASE TELL ME HOW. Because I tried to set up 'default' and 'smart' modes, then go to movie, change tracks, go back to main screen, then go to same movie again and all looks like I do nothing! My choices was not saved without start playing!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

AAndy
1 minute ago, rodainas said:

I dont understand,you can change them without playing and it remembers it.

I tested on mobile and it works like that.

Why i cant do the same?😢

It is not work for me 😢😢😢😢😢😢

It is that what I need

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, andrey062006 said:

I asked: why I cant change audio/subtitles track with not playback starting. I need to open movie/tv-episode card - select audio/subs I need - and it MUST be saved with no playback starting

Hi.  We do not have this feature at this time and, before now, no one has really asked for it because our defaults and the fact we can remember changes to those defaults on first playback have covered everyone's use case thus far.

I still don't understand why that doesn't work for you.  If you can explain a specific example then that would help us understand why this is a problem for you.

Thanks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...