Subtitles / audio track remembering

AAndy

14 minutes ago, ebr said:

Hi.  We do not have this feature at this time and, before now, no one has really asked for it because our defaults and the fact we can remember changes to those defaults on first playback have covered everyone's use case thus far.

I still don't understand why that doesn't work for you.  If you can explain a specific example then that would help us understand why this is a problem for you.

Thanks.

I see you are scoff me! I already wrote it and write in each new message. It is third day I trying to solve this instead working.

Ok, I copy it again:

And look at my answer: "As I said earlier, I moved from Plex to Emby! And except me I have one more user. And I should set up correct audio/subtitles, which ALREADY was selected in Plex by me and other users! So I must do it twice: for me and for other user."

I already selected what I need in Plex. I set up it ALREADY. And now I want only set up these settings at Emby, but i cant

4 minutes ago, andrey062006 said:

I see you are scoff me! I already wrote it and write in each new message. It is third day I trying to solve this instead working.

Ok, I copy it again:

And look at my answer: "As I said earlier, I moved from Plex to Emby! And except me I have one more user. And I should set up correct audio/subtitles, which ALREADY was selected in Plex by me and other users! So I must do it twice: for me and for other user."

I already selected what I need in Plex. I set up it ALREADY. And now I want only set up these settings at Emby, but i cant

Hi.  We are not trying to scoff you.  You have only stated exactly what you want to do and we are asking WHY you feel you need to do this.  Can you give us a specific example of a movie that you need to pre-select these things because our default behavior will not do it properly?

To set it up for 4000 movies why did you not use the "Default" flag and assign that to the subtitle you want to play? That will be the selected choice before Emby begins to play. But you must prepare your media to contain one "Default" flag on a subtitle. If there are many set as default the first default applies. So just set one default. This will become inherited before any playback.

Is this what you expect? To choose which subtitle will play for your media all the time? If so use "Default". Once you change these defaults they will apply to ALL media players. You will not have to fiddle inside each application for the settings. You just use your media to tell the player how to play your media. Emby will play your media your way.

attachment.php?aid=547

https://forum.selur.net/Thread-HELP-How-to-set-a-subtitle-as-the-default-track

Edited by speechles
  • Agree 2

rodainas
4 minutes ago, speechles said:

To set it up for 4000 movies why did you not use the "Default" flag and assign that to the subtitle you want to play. That will be the selected choice before Emby begins to play. But you must prepare your media to contain one "Default" flag on a subtitle. If there are many set as default the first default applies. So just set one default. This will become inherited before any playback.

Is this what you expect? To choose which subtitle will play for your media all the time? If so use "Default". Once you change these defaults they will apply to ALL media players. You will not have to fiddle inside each application for the settings. You just use your media to tell the player how to play your media. Emby will play your media your way.

attachment.php?aid=547

And to add you can also use cli with mkvpropedit to make a batch job for 4000 movies and it will be really fast.

17 minutes ago, ebr said:

Can you give us a specific example of a movie that you need to pre-select these things because our default behavior will not do it properly?

Okay. AGAIN. I point another example. I need to turn off subtitles of some tv-episodes which playback failing on selected subtitles (ass format). I start playing and Emby tell me 'Playback Fail'. I cant change it through playback. And also cant turning off at episode card. Is it enough clearly?

15 minutes ago, speechles said:

To set it up for 4000 movies why did you not use the "Default" flag and assign that to the subtitle you want to play. That will be the selected choice before Emby begins to play. But you must prepare your media to contain one "Default" flag on a subtitle. If there are many set as default the first default applies. So just set one default. This will become inherited before any playback.

10 minutes ago, rodainas said:

And to add you can also use cli with mkvpropedit to make a batch job for 4000 movies and it will be really fast.

Excuse me, but it is much more craziness when cant change it through movie card. And it will work for me only, not for other user I have!

@ebr, for stay with Emby, I agree to write a script which can do what I need if you are point me to how to do it through API. If API provides this possibility, of course. Because I cant find it. 

Edited by andrey062006

rodainas

And it will work for me only, not for other user I have!

Why is that?, if you change the default flags on your media files level, emby and any player will read that from file and show it as default, with no special setup.

Edited by rodainas

Just now, rodainas said:

Why is that?,

I mean I prefer some tracks which major for me. Other user prefer what is major for her!

rodainas

You can set the default flags to your liking, and then use emby subtitle options for the other users.

With this is never one size fits all.

5 minutes ago, rodainas said:

You can set the default flags to your liking, and then use emby subtitle options for the other users.

With this is never one size fits all.

You don't listen me. At other user I will get the same issue!

@ebr for stay with Emby, I agree to write a script which can do what I need if you are point me to how to do it through API. If API provides this possibility, of course. Because I cant find it. Is where at least one API method to provide to change tracks possibility?

Why won't setting the "default" flag on the subtitle track you want in the media file itself not work?  That will be seen by all users.

Just now, ebr said:

Why won't setting the "default" flag on the subtitle track you want in the media file itself not work?  That will be seen by all users.

Ok. I see this discussion is no provides help. You are stucked at "you must do what we are want and we are knows better what you want". This way can be work to me but at other user I will get the same issue!

What about API I asked earlier?

It's not that at all.  In order for anyone to give you advice on how to proceed we need to understand first what you're trying to do and why?
Then we need to understand why Emby's built in functionality isn't working for you.

Then we can see if any changes are needed to the software.

15 minutes ago, cayars said:

It's not that at all.  In order for anyone to give you advice on how to proceed we need to understand first what you're trying to do and why?
Then we need to understand why Emby's built in functionality isn't working for you.

Then we can see if any changes are needed to the software.

I already said what I want and describes a reasons! And you asked me the same things again and again!

• I cant change tracks without starting playback!

Reasons why I need it:

• Some episodes failing playback with some subtitles cuz Emby have a lot of bugs
  • At movies I cant to set up same as plex audio/sub preferences for each user and per each item (item's personal preferences) I have, because me and other user was set up these settings ALREADY and they are different from user to user! And mkvmerge is not for help!

Why are we still discussing about basis function like this which MUST be basis for each server! I dont know how you are using the server, but I use for max! And for it I should have change tracks possibility! You must understand - I CAN CHANGE IT WHILE PLAYBACK ONLY - IT IS CRAZY! For stay with Emby I even ready to write a program to change it and asked to point me at API method, but you are stuck in "we knows better" and you do tell me it again and agian and.......!

Sadly for some reasons you dont want to understand me and every your message is telling "do that we want, not what you want, because we knows better what you want"!

Edited by andrey062006

rodainas

So to summarize your request is to be able to change audio/subtitles preferences and be remembered by emby without playing those files?

2 minutes ago, rodainas said:

So to summarize your request is to be able to change audio/subtitles preferences and be remembered by emby without playing those files?

Yes, exactly!

36 minutes ago, andrey062006 said:

Reasons why I need it:

• Some episodes failing playback with some subtitles cuz Emby have a lot of bugs

OK Now we are getting somewhere.  Can you go over the subtitles that are not working on your system correctly?

CBers
31 minutes ago, rodainas said:

27 minutes ago, andrey062006 said:

Yes, exactly!

Why must you change them before playback? What is it you're trying to achieve?

Which client are you using, as in the Android TV client, there is a pre-selection option where you can change both the audio and subtitle tracks before playback (if multiple of either exist in the video file), but for that to be remembered, you do need to start playback, if only for a few seconds.

But the basic question, is why do believe that you need to do this for all 4000 movies beforehand?

Why not just do it when you need to start playback and also educate your user to do the same.

Thanks.

Ok. Goodbye. I go back to Plex. I listened Emby community is more responsive but now I see how it works. Each admin asked me same things I already answered! And no one trying to help me. Just ask again and again same and same!

@CBers all I can answer you - BECAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because I KNOW WHAT I NEED, but you are scoff me and you think you knows better what I want. You even not take trouble to read this thread and I to tired to explain it ......... a dont know how much time

GOODBYE!

Edited by andrey062006

CBers
1 minute ago, andrey062006 said:

Ok. Goodbye. I go back to Plex. I listened Emby community is more responsive but now I see how it works. Each admin asked me same things I already answered!

@CBers all I can answer you - BECAUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Because I KNOW WHAT I NEED, but you are scrof me and you think you knows better what I want. You even not take trouble to read this thread and I to tired to explain it ......... a dont know how much time

GOODBYE!

You might know what you need, but we don't understand what it is, as there has never been a use case like this before.

We can't help you if you can't tell us why you need to do what you want to do.

Good luck using Plex.

Thanks.

1 minute ago, CBers said:

You might know what you need, but we don't understand what it is, as there has never been a use case like this before.

We can't help you if you can't tell us why you need to do what you want to do.

Good luck using Plex.

Thanks.

I already wrote answers to all your questions! And you ask me again

Edited by andrey062006

rodainas

You said one of the reasons was a bug with the subtitles, but you didnt send the subtitles test files or the info that cayars requested, is not a matter of who knows best what anyone needs or wants, its a matter of reaching the cause of the problem and looking for the available options to fix it.

Edited by rodainas
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, rodainas said:

You said one of the reasons was a bug with the subtitles, but you didnt send the subtitles test files or the info that cayars requested, is not a matter of who knows best what anyone needs or wants, its a matter of reaching the cause of the problem and looking for the available options to fix it.

That's exactly it!

No one that I remember has ever asked for this feature before so likely that means the subtitle functionality does work correct.  If it doesn't work correct for an admin of one particular system AND they have also mentioned a bug with some type of subtitle then it's only reasonable to want to see what the bug is so it can be fixed.  Then maybe this special subtitle case is no longer needed.

This is what we are trying to get at.

1 minute ago, rodainas said:

I SENT A LINK TWICE at this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish you others users will be deaf to your problems as you do with me! I need change track with no start playing. All of you mean you knows better what I want and I am wrong! OK.

And resolving only one problem does not resolve full issue! 

2 minutes ago, cayars said:

That's exactly it!

No one that I remember has ever asked for this feature before so likely that means the subtitle functionality does work correct.  If it doesn't work correct for an admin of one particular system AND they have also mentioned a bug with some type of subtitle then it's only reasonable to want to see what the bug is so it can be fixed.  Then maybe this special subtitle case is no longer needed.

This is what we are trying to get at.

Ok, you knows better. Discussion stucked. GOODBYE! Enough! 

I so stupid so I dont know what I need, because you knows 

Edited by andrey062006